• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Screen Shot Thread (56k no)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Index updated.

PantherLotus said:
Month-to-month releases at the bottom!!

INDEX I (pages 1-30+) <-- Clicky
(screen releases/captures, E3-06 to November 06)

INDEX II (pages 40+)
(post-launch and future games, Dec 06 - present)

Alien Syndrome - 1, 2
Bionicle Heroes - 1
Bomberman Land - 1
Bust-A-Move Bash! - 1, 2, 3
Case Closed Wii - 1
Cooking Mama: Cook Off - 1, 2, 3
Compile Heart - 1
Cosmic Family, The - 1
Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party - 1
Densha de GO - 1, 2
Dewey's Adventure - 1
Dragon Quest Swords - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Driver: Parallel Lines - 1
Eyeshield 21 - 1
Fire Emblem: Dawn of the Goddess - 1, 2, 3
G1 Jockey 4 - 1
The Godfather: Blackhand Edition 1, 2, 3
Gottlieb Pinball Classics - 1
Godzilla: Unleashed - 1
Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting Revolution - 1, 2, 3
Harvest Moon Heroes - 1
Heatseeker - 1. 2
Kororinpa - 1
Legend Of the Dragon - 1
Looney Tunes Acme Arsenal - 1
Mahjong Taikai Wii - 1
Mario Party 8 - 1, 2, 3
Mario Galaxy - (coming soon)
Medal of Honor Vanguard - 1, 2, 3
Mercury Meltdown Revolution - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Metroid Prime 3 - 1
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon - 1
Naruto - 1, 2
No More Heroes - 1, 2, 3
Pinball Hall of Fame - 1
Pokémon Battle Revolution - 1, 2
Prince of Persia: Rival Swords - 1, 2, 3
Ratatouille - 1
SD Gundam Scad Hammers - 1, 2
Sims Wii, The - 1, 2
Sonic and the Secret Rings - 1, 2, 3, 4
SSX Blur - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Sudoku - 1, 2
Super Fruit Fall - 1
Super Smash Brothers Brawl - 1, 2
Tamagotchi Party On! - 1
Tiger Woods - 1
Wing Island - 1

=================
January 2007 Releases - (1 title)
February 2007 Releases - (2 titles)
March 2007 Releases - Coming soon!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Fire Emblem: Dawn of Major Sales

I don't usually include scans, but this game is significant enough that we can let it slide. Enjoy!

scan_13.jpg

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
who does Fire Emblem's character art and design? They are possibly my fave in gaming, certainly rank highly, would be nice if they did some proper RPGs though.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
SSX Blur

12 courses, most old, some new. 3 Peak system again. Now, I know why they are using the peak system -- so they can link the whole peak together for some really nice 10-12 minute rides, but someday I hope they take a step back and just go for the craziness that was SSX and SSX Tricky's awesome locations. Nothing will beat how awesome the Hawaiian Glacier run was.

PantherLotus said:
World Championship Poker: Featuring Howard Lederer ALL-IN
UGLY PICTURES OF PANTHERLOTUS'S FAMILY PLAYING POKER, HAHAHAHAH
Seriously, wtf???? If the Wii architecture is so easy to get results from, why are games looking worse than PS2 games? I'm not expecting Gears of War quality, but it'd be nice if stuff looked at RE4 quality.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Please do not quote whole posts when replying to this thread.

reggieandTFE said:
Seriously, wtf???? If the Wii architecture is so easy to get results from, why are games looking worse than PS2 games? I'm not expecting Gears of War quality, but it'd be nice if stuff looked at RE4 quality.

Hey turd, I don't care if you make baseless assumptions about the "Wii Architecture" from a ****ing budget-titled poker game, but I do care if you quote whole posts to make a ****ing point.

Cut that shit out!

SSX and Sonic look great, Poker looks farken awful.

reggieandTFE, I can understand your anger but RE4 was the result of months of dedication and incredible skill. Don't expect those visuals for every wii game.

the-iek

PantherLotus said:
This game looks awesome! Especially good considering its PS2 roots.
yeah, seriously. especially with the added dithering, ea are so good to us, they spent money to give us this nice little effect!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Alkaliine said:
SSX and Sonic look great, Poker looks farken awful.

reggieandTFE, I can understand your anger but RE4 was the result of months of dedication and incredible skill. Don't expect those visuals for every wii game.

:lol

Lobster

Banned
the-iek said:
yeah, seriously. especially with the added dithering, ea are so good to us, they spent money to give us this nice little effect!

I agree the dithering is bad. But besides that the game does look great in some parts.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
dark10x said:
No, it doesn't. The Wii port looks WORSE than the PS2 game. It's a low quality, lazy port.

Thanks for clearing that up. We all appreciate your honest and unbiased opinion.
I look forward to further input from you on ALL of these games!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PantherLotus said:
Thanks for clearing that up. We all appreciate your honest and unbiased opinion.
I look forward to further input from you on ALL of these games!
EA Defense Force?

You'd have to be blind to suggest anything else. The game uses the PS2 assets while introducing some serious dithering and banding issues. I'm not slamming the Wii, I'm slamming EA's effort.

Are you actually happy with what many developers are releasing on the Wii, though? There are loads of sloppy, poorly coded ports out there. Why should we accept that? The system is capable of MUCH more. Nobody expects every developer to match Factor 5's GC work or anything, but a little more effort would be nice...wouldn't it? Nintendo chose not to focus on visuals, but it does not mean they should be ignored. GC was a nice piece of hardware and Wii is faster. What value is there in defending such efforts?

I'm biased, sure, but judging by your comments, you may be much more so if you are willing to defend something like this for the sake of Nintendo. I'll slam poor efforts on any platform regardless of who I may favor.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
While I agree that I would love to see developers take a better advantage of what little comparative next-gen power the Wii actually has, I think its disingenuous and a bit self-serving to try to say this game looks worse than the PS2 version.

The truth is that your assertion is rather shallow and not really accurate. The game is an almost-direct port of the PS2 version, has some added graphical effects, and looks great in video. When shown a direct comparison to the PS2 version, it's hard to argue that the game doesn't look improved greatly.

Now, if you wanted to suggest that the screenshots of this edition are of poorer quality, you might have some room to speak, and perhaps with a little accuracy. Given the history of EA screenies (on every platform), though, it wouldn't really mean much.

It's one thing to suggest that this game looks bad, that it doesn't take advantage of what little power the Wii actually has, or that developers are lazy. I might even agree to that. It is another thing altogether to suggest that this game looks worse the PS2 version, and it is most definitely wrong. Take your uninspired and predictable trolling elsewhere.

edit: for clarity and fixed links

dark10x

It's one thing to suggest that this game looks bad, that it doesn't take advantage of what little power the Wii actually has, or that developers are lazy. I might even agree to that. It is another thing altogether to suggest that this game looks worse the PS2 version, and it is most definitely wrong. Take your uninspired and predictable trolling elsewhere.
Is that so? I suppose we'll wait and see. It's true, screenshots do not make for a great comparison...but in this case, neither do videos. The added problems present in the Wii version (dithering and color banding) could not possibly be seen in a typical IGN video. The screenshots demonstrate flaws that WILL be visible when viewed on a television.

Having played some of the PS2 version (I did NOT purchase it), these flaws were not present (at least not to the same degree). It's well known that GC/Wii have very poor 16-bit color output and I believe this has played a large role in the results at hand.

Regardless, both versions of the game are rather ugly. Wii IS more powerful than the PS2 by a fair margin so we should not even be having such discussions. If a port of an ugly PS2 game looks worse (in certain areas) on a more powerful machine...surely you can admit that something is wrong.

Do you really think I'm trolling the Wii? Go look at the PS3 and XBOX360 versions of the game. Those sure as hell don't represent what those machines can do and I could bash them all day. Same deal with the Wii version.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
PantherLotus said:
Take your uninspired and predictable trolling elsewhere.

he doesn't deserve that kind of accusation. Between this and you freaking out whenever someone quotes too many pics, you need to lighten up a bit.

levious said:
he doesn't deserve that kind of accusation. Between this and you freaking out whenever someone quotes too many pics, you need to lighten up a bit.

Hey turd, I don't care if you make baseless assumptions about the "Wii Architecture" from a ****ing budget-titled poker game, but I do care if you quote whole posts to make a ****ing point.

Cut that shit out!

Yeah, I'd second that.

PL - I think everyone appreciates the work you put into these threads, but there are times when your attitude stinks. You're too damn quick to start slinging insults & accusations at posters & it doesn't reflect well on you.

Keep up the great work with the pic threads, but leave the modding to the mods & the insults out.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
levious said:

I apologize if I hurt yours or anybody else's feelings*, unless you think his "commentary" is inspired and creative? If one can look at both videos side by side and still say the Wii version is worse in any way than the former, then that person either is blind or has an agenda.

And just for the record, his original quote was:
dark10x said:
No, it doesn't. The Wii port looks WORSE than the PS2 game. It's a low quality, lazy port.

He is patently wrong in every part of that quote.

*And it's common ****ing courtesy to not quote an entire block of screens. We all know that by now.

Pepboy

I never played the PS2 version, but judging from:

http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/Images/55861520070209_150902_3_big.jpg

I'd say this is a pretty ugly game no matter what console its on... I mean is that ketchup he's sneezing? And there is some black thing between the vest and the tie (might be some sort of gun strap, maybe...?)

I'll admit the wood panelling looks nice, but otherwise the textures seem low, as well as the polygon counts (for example, the machine gun in the guys hand).

I think it could have used a bit more tweaking... granted, videos won't look as bad as the screenshots, but I wouldn't call the previous poster "trolling"; he brought up some decent points I thought, at least upon being asked about it. Whether the criticism was "inspired" I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean... hasn't every critique on GAF been used before? But I guess that's just my take on it.

dark10x

He is patently wrong in every part of that quote.
How exactly? Does that honestly look like a game in which a great deal of effort is being poured into it? Neither of us know for certain, but going by EA's track record, I'm going to say that a much better job could be done. They certainly are doing little to take advantage of the hardware and, considering the original release date, I'd say this is a cheap cash-in.

I still maintain that the Wii version is lacking in areas where the PS2 version was not. Posting links to video clips does absolutely nothing to support your point as the added flaws would not be visible in that format.

You really need to settle down. If the work they have done on the Wii version of Godfather meets your standards, that's all well and good, but the fact that it falls FAR below my standards does not necessarily mean "trolling" is in play nor is it a slight on the system itself.

Stitch

Gold Member
i just watched a ps2 video with driving sequences and a wii video aaand... maybe it's just me, seeing weird things... but could it be that there is heavier popup in the wii version than in the ps2 one?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
PantherLotus said:
*And it's common ****ing courtesy to not quote an entire block of screens. We all know that by now.

sure, but does it warrant an expletive-laced rant?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I won't justify PL's saucy rants.. but I get where he is coming from with dark. and you know I love you dark. but by now everyone gets that you really hate the Wii's graphics. i probably couldn't find a single positive thing from you on them if I tried. now you are certainly welcome to your opinion, and as an opinion it is entirely valid.. but people just get tired of hearing over and over again how much you don't like the wii's graphics. kind of like my tirade on PSP original game support/lineups.

don't take it personally.. because it's not. just for many of us, the wii is more about playing the game and having fun and not caring really at all about the graphics. to have the same people come in every single thread (not literally, but you know what I mean) and point out "yeah but the graphics suck and should be a lot better" is kind of annoying, especially when it's something that we personally don't care about..

but I still love you.

Ranger X

It's only Nintendo's marketing brainwashing some of you guys. No console is more about graphic than anything else and the Wii certainly isn't more about controls or gameplay than anything else either.
I personally own and love the Wii but i know how to make the difference between a cheap game and a game where some effort and passion was put in. This on the Wii, the 360, the NES, the SNES, any console.
I just feel that this time the complains of Dark are completely justified. The Wii shouldn't look technically on par or under the PS2. There's no argument against this, it's according to specs.
A console is great when it gives you what it's capable of. This applies to ALL consoles. There is cheap games on each of the new consoles also. I hope you guys can see them (and not buy them preferably).

dark10x

don't take it personally.. because it's not. just for many of us, the wii is more about playing the game and having fun and not caring really at all about the graphics. to have the same people come in every single thread (not literally, but you know what I mean) and point out "yeah but the graphics suck and should be a lot better" is kind of annoying, especially when it's something that we personally don't care about..

but I still love you.
Ha ha, I love you too, buddy. :D

On the bright side, I've become a bit more tolerant of Wii visuals as of late. Yeah, I still want my HD and everything, but I can deal with them in most cases. Stuff like Monkey Ball, Wii Sports, and even the rough looking Zelda have grown on me. The best stuff on the Cube is still pretty solid as well.

Stuff like Far Cry and Godfather Wii, however, are just insulting and that's kind of what I'm complaining about. The Wii is being under-utilized, for the most part. We shouldn't be putting up with that. I understand the approach Nintendo has taken here, but technically speaking, the Wii is beyond the Gamecube...which was beyond the PS2. We shouldn't be seeing so many games with visuals that would be considered poor-average on PS2.

I can look past the visuals in a lot of cases, I just don't want the industry to move away from such things completely. I mean, I brought my Wii over to my folks house last night and they had a blast with it. I sold them on it and they are considering buying one themselves. I love it for that kind of situation so I know where you are coming from. A low quality of port of Godfather does not fit in there, though. :p

...and hey, it's not as if I claimed to be unbiased. I'm as biased as anyone else around here (but can still enjoy and appreciate everything). :)

PantherLotus said:
Please do not quote whole posts when replying to this thread.

Cut that shit out!

Hahahaha, I got called a turd. :lol It was six damn pictures at a low-resolution, I doubt the intertubes are going to explode over this. I did edit my post, not out of a desire to appease your nascent amateur modding, but because I'm afraid of the harm that may be wrought by seeing so many shit-smeared textures in a row.

ps Godfather Wii looks worse than the PS2 version.

pps Eat a bag of dicks.

1945er

dark10x said:
Ha ha, I love you too, buddy. :D

On the bright side, I've become a bit more tolerant of Wii visuals as of late. Yeah, I still want my HD and everything, but I can deal with them in most cases. Stuff like Monkey Ball, Wii Sports, and even the rough looking Zelda have grown on me. The best stuff on the Cube is still pretty solid as well.

I think it is completely legitimate to care about graphics like you do, but I am happy for you if it does not get in the way of appreciating good games. I think the main issue is that unfortunately 99% of the time a sloppy port will be sloppy in all aspects of the game, which hurts the Wii even more than other consoles because implementing the controls well just takes time. When you consider which titles look really good , be it the GOWs, Metal Gears, Halos etc., the main reason is that a lot of manpower and resources flow into those titles. And all these developers know that they would throw this money away if the would not follow through with their effort in the gameplay department. Maybe this skewes some people's perspective on the importance of visuals, because almost all of the great looking titles play great as well (Psygnosis RIP).
And btw, please someone mention a single poker game that does not totally suck in the graphics deparment.

Ranger X said:
It's only Nintendo's marketing brainwashing some of you guys. No console is more about graphic than anything else and the Wii certainly isn't more about controls or gameplay than anything else either.
I personally own and love the Wii but i know how to make the difference between a cheap game and a game where some effort and passion was put in. This on the Wii, the 360, the NES, the SNES, any console.
I just feel that this time the complains of Dark are completely justified. The Wii shouldn't look technically on par or under the PS2. There's no argument against this, it's according to specs.
A console is great when it gives you what it's capable of. This applies to ALL consoles. There is cheap games on each of the new consoles also. I hope you guys can see them (and not buy them preferably).
I think everyone is just tired of the same fu*ing debate in every Wii thread. Regardless of what the original intention of a thread was, there is always someone turning it into a graphics debate and it's not like we haven't had them for at least a thousand times.

Top Bottom