• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meelow

Banned

Yeah I think Take-Two just needs to see how GTA will sell on the Wii U, it's doesn't cost much to port so they can do a direct port on it if they want and just use the Pro Controller and if they want to do stuff with the Gamepad they can and see how it sells.

The Farm 51 (latestt Painkiller games, NecroVision) is now a Wii U licenced developper according to this Polish document translated by French website Nintendo Master > http://d.iplsc.com/ebi/35773/Raport_IIQ_2012-08gotowy.pdf

source > http://www.nintendo-master.com/xtne...va_bientot_accueillir_la_serie_painkiller.htm

Also from the same website >

1345111951.jpg

Can I see the page where the box art came from?, that looks SO much better than the Game of the Year box art.

just click on his source link and browse their news page ...

you end up here: http://www.nintendo-master.com/xtne...ur_batman__arkham_city_-_armoured_edition.htm

Thanks.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wait, this thing STILL doesn't play DVDs?

I don't know why I thought it would :/

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

To be fair, at this point everyone is using netflix / amazon / hulu for streaming movies. I'm not surprised Nintendo isn't 'wasting' licensing fees for DVD/Blu-Ray movie playback.

prag16

Banned
To be fair, at this point everyone is using netflix / amazon / hulu for streaming movies. I'm not surprised Nintendo isn't 'wasting' licensing fees for DVD/Blu-Ray movie playback.

If the bluray standard is actually being used (though not in name, to avoid licensing fees), the homebrewers will find a way without a doubt (just like with the Wii and DVDs).

Yes, disappointing. I'd take that over some Nintendoland pack-in tbh.
I know I could get some player dirt cheap probably, but it still would have been a nice bonus on the console that I'd be actively using.

Netflix and Hulu don't exist in my country and neither in tons of others, so there goes that.

Their mentality probably isn't so much that ZombiU is necessarily the highest quality third party game there is (or even the best exclusive, because Rayman), but that it's the most likely to expand their brand in the ways that they want it to.

Not that it's going to work -- I'll be SHOCKED if ZombiU turns into anything resembling a hit. If there are any big non-launch exclusives to be announced, I hope Nintendo throws its weight behind them as much as it is for this game.

Prepare for a shock mate. This game is not only going to sell a shedload in terms of software units sold but will also be a system seller. It's going to be huge. Should go platinum before the end of the year assuming that the U is released in October or November in all territories.

It's also technically the most impressive game on the U I've seen so far. There's a lot going on there that isn't possible on the PS3 and 360 at 720p. The dynamic lighting and shadows, the AA, the ansiotropic filtering and the v-synch are all very impressive on the Comic Con Nursery demo. At the TGS we're going to see a similar difference in eye candy quality between the Gamescom Buckingham Palace demo and the TGS Buckingham Palace demo as we saw between the E3 Nursery demo and the Comic Con Nursery demo.

I can't wait to see it tbh, although of course when someone starts a thread about it we're bound to see the usual trolls posting nonsense about it looking like a Wii game lol.

If the bluray standard is actually being used (though not in name, to avoid licensing fees), the homebrewers will find a way without a doubt (just like with the Wii and DVDs).

Ummm, I wouldn't get your hopes up. After the Wii, Green Hills security on the WiiU will be 500% better!

Isn't licensing fees being paid to Sony a myth as well? Thought it was payment to a consortium which includes a lot of other companies involved in bluray's creation?

With the WiiU controller being a remote; they have the major streaming services; they would be morons not to allow you to download an app that unlocks bluray playback (app costs cover licence fee payment to bluray consortium) to make it a standalone media hub.

I could give a shite about bluray so I would resent paying the added cost of the licence at the checkout.

Nothing unexpected, but a couple of days ago Nintendo applied for the registration of the word "Miiverse" over at the European Trademark office. (old?)

It's current status is "Application under examination".

miiverseiyuw3.jpg

Source (OHIM)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing unexpected, but a couple of days ago Nintendo applied for the registration of the word "Miiverse" over at the European Trademark office. (old?)

It's current status is "Application under examination".

miiverseiyuw3.jpg

Source (OHIM)
In June, I covered the US filings in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477447

You are welcome to compare the EU and US filings. As for its status, it's just the general starting process. If someone opposes the mark, that's when it becomes interesting.

Rösti;41092680 said:
In June, I covered the US filings in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477447

You are welcome to compare the EU and US filings. As for its status, it's just the general starting process. If someone opposes the mark, that's when it becomes interesting.

Ah thanks, must have missed that thread.

So trademark has not been registered in the US yet, as well? (if I'm reading the TESS search results correctly)

prag16

Banned
Ummm, I wouldn't get your hopes up. After the Wii, Green Hills security on the WiiU will be 500% better!

Isn't licensing fees being paid to Sony a myth as well? Thought it was payment to a consortium which includes a lot of other companies involved in bluray's creation?

With the WiiU controller being a remote; they have the major streaming services; they would be morons not to allow you to download an app that unlocks bluray playback (app costs cover licence fee payment to bluray consortium) to make it a standalone media hub.

I could give a shite about bluray so I would resent paying the added cost of the licence at the checkout.

Ummm, no reason to begin your post in such a condescending manner.

If it's based on bluray, the homebrewers will find a way; doesn't matter how good the security is. All that'll do is make it take a bit longer.

What "jailbreaking" a Wii U will actually do to negatively affect your experience (e.g. issues with your account, playing online, etc)? Separate question. With the Wii the answer to that was almost nothing.

prag16

Banned
We can't conclude how the game will be sold from some place holders (not by Nintendo) in one country.

I think the partial pack-in theory could be a possibility. Pack-in ~5 minigames, and have the rest available on a retail disc (and/or piecemeal via DLC; this could be a good way to promote the eShop out of the gate).

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Ah thanks, must have missed that thread.

So trademark has not been registered in the US yet, as well? (if I'm reading the TESS search results correctly)
Correct. Investigation will begin in early September, with initial steps before publication taking x amount of time. Opposition period is 30+ days (opposing party may request to extend the time to oppose). Earliest I see these marks registered is sometime in December.

Rösti;41093211 said:
Correct. Investigation will begin in early September, with initial steps before publication taking x amount of time. Opposition period is 30+ days (opposing party may request to extend the time to oppose). Earliest I see these marks registered is sometime in December.

Nice, thanks.

Ummm, no reason to begin your post in such a condescending manner.

*_* Whaaa?

If it's based on bluray, the homebrewers will find a way; doesn't matter how good the security is. All that'll do is make it take a bit longer.

What "jailbreaking" a Wii U will actually do to negatively affect your experience (e.g. issues with your account, playing online, etc)? Separate question. With the Wii the answer to that was almost nothing.

You not played Black Ops or MW3 online have you? Or what about Mario Kart DS? On a different matter, no one ever hacked the the DSi; or 3DS so far. From what I know GH is military grade security, and although I'm no hacker, I'm pretty sure it just being bluray based has absolutely nothing to do with how easy it is to hack! Rip and pirate games, maybe.

First look at armoured Catwoman.

batman_arkham_city_armored_edition_catwoman_suit.jpg

D-e-f-

Banned
*_* Whaaa?

You not played Black Ops or MW3 online have you? Or what about Mario Kart DS? On a different matter, no one ever hacked the the DSi; or 3DS so far. From what I know GH is military grade security, and although I'm no hacker, I'm pretty sure it just being bluray based has absolutely nothing to do with how easy it is to hack! Rip and pirate games, maybe.

DSi and 3DS have been hacked a loooong time ago. Those flash carts worked with them until at least a few months ago (last I checked).

jmizzal

prag16

Banned
You not played Black Ops or MW3 online have you?

I have played both online without issues, along with several other games. My Wii has been softmodded since 2008. Sure, I had to jump through a hoop or two for a game here or there, but there was always a way, and never terribly difficult (for anyone somewhat tech savvy).

Can't speak to DS/3DS; don't and haven't owned those.

The point is, it'll take time, maybe even years. But it's very possible (maybe even probable) Wii U will be cracked wide open.

Effect

I certainly hope not. While there are some benefits from having a modded system. Playing imports being the big one . The majority of people that do mod or want to mod aren't doing for that. Let's not be naive about this. I will go as far as saying majority want to run games they've downloaded (not bought) and run hacks. I do not want to deal with the hacks I came across in Call of Duty games on the Wii when it comes to the Wii U. I do not want my online gaming experience ruined by people running hacks they've downloaded because they enjoy ruining the experiences of other players.

prag16

Banned
I certainly hope not. While there are some benefits from having a modded system. Playing imports being the big one . The majority of people that do mod or want to mod aren't doing for that. Let's not be naive about this. I will go as far as saying majority want to run games they've downloaded (not bought) and run hacks. I do not want to deal with the hacks I came across in Call of Duty games on the Wii when it comes to the Wii U. I do not want my online gaming experience ruined by people running hacks they've downloaded because they enjoy ruining the experiences of other players.

I'm not sure that "most" people do this to steal games.

I'm also not sure that "most" people do it to hack.

But yes, a significant number of both types of aforementioned people undoubtedly exist. Don't forget that hacking exists on xbox live also. It's just usually a lot tougher to get away with it.

My personal reasons were to play old school emulators (okay, I suppose that's a form of "stealing" in a manner of speaking; though I DO actually own the vast majority of games played in that fashion; they're just boxed up in the basement at the moment), and streaming media from my PC (mPlayer app) before I had my HTPC.

Ripping my Wii games to a hard drive was an added bonus. Discs stay all nice, and load times decrease (not to mention no stress on the optical drive, which many people have had fail on them).

Roo

Have you played Mario Kart Wii? those hackers.. shit got real when they where able to brick your Wii after freezing your screen just like they did/do with CoD.

Yes, disappointing. I'd take that over some Nintendoland pack-in tbh.
I know I could get some player dirt cheap probably, but it still would have been a nice bonus on the console that I'd be actively using.

Netflix and Hulu don't exist in my country and neither in tons of others, so there goes that.

I still think they can sell a dongle for those that really want it, that adds the license key to allow for blu ray playback and it also comes with software preconfigured on the dongle. kind of like xbox 1. But for me I already have a pc that plays bluray and a ps3 and laptop as well as a dedicated blu ray player. most people buying wii u would probably already have a blu ray player at home. waste of a licence for non gaming use.

Earendil

*_* Whaaa?

First look at armoured Catwoman.

batman_arkham_city_armored_edition_catwoman_suit.jpg

Meow

I'm kind of torn between wanting the U cracked open or not. The Wii has been my favourite console this gen due to the Homebrew scene. Quake with the remote and nunchuck is a joy to play, there's a multitude of custom Guitar Hero games out there including GH1, GH2 and Rock The 80s, it's allowed me to play Japanese games undubbed and allowed me to play Fatal Frame IV thanks to the fan translation. Playing PS1 games and Atari VCS games...the list goes on and on.

But if it is cracked then there's the chance of third parties not bringing a multiplatform title to the U due to rife piracy. :eek:(

AzaK

I don't think they can offer bluray for download even because the Wii U is 25GB and doesn't bluray basically need to support 50 or else some movies won't play?

Also, I don't care either as all my disc movies are ripped and I stream to my AppleTV

D-e-f-

Banned
I don't think they can offer bluray for download even because the Wii U is 25GB and doesn't bluray basically need to support 50 or else some movies won't play?

Also, I don't care either as all my disc movies are ripped and I stream to my AppleTV

What're you talking about exactly? The Wii U discs hold 25GB. How does that have anything to do with downloading and Blu Rays?

I have played both online without issues, along with several other games. My Wii has been softmodded since 2008. Sure, I had to jump through a hoop or two for a game here or there, but there was always a way, and never terribly difficult (for anyone somewhat tech savvy).

Can't speak to DS/3DS; don't and haven't owned those.

The point is, it'll take time, maybe even years. But it's very possible (maybe even probable) Wii U will be cracked wide open.

I don't disagree that it won't be compromised, but no way near as easy as the Wii. DSi and 3DS are testament to their improved security. So if I was a hacker, I be a bit worried.

You can't have played MW3 or BLOPs on the Wii because the games have been decimated beyond repair by moders and hackers. Your table rank has actually stopped moving thanks to hackers fiddling with the position table so much. So yeah.

Dual layer? It'd support dual layer.. .. wouldn't it?

I'm kind of torn between wanting the U cracked open or not. The Wii has been my favourite console this gen due to the Homebrew scene. Quake with the remote and nunchuck is a joy to play, there's a multitude of custom Guitar Hero games out there including GH1, GH2 and Rock The 80s, it's allowed me to play Japanese games undubbed and allowed me to play Fatal Frame IV thanks to the fan translation. Playing PS1 games and Atari VCS games...the list goes on and on.

But if it is cracked then there's the chance of third parties not bringing a multiplatform title to the U due to rife piracy. :eek:(

Things like Colors 3D maybe wouldn't be about if it wasn't for homebrew. If you could have all of the good points about homebrew without all of the bad points, then yeah, cracking it wouldn't bother me. If it means online play is riddled with mindless scum like on the Wii, then no, I hope it isn't.

What're you talking about exactly? The Wii U discs hold 25GB. How does that have anything to do with downloading and Blu Rays?

Think he meant downloading an app to allow blu-ray playback in reply to my post.

tkscz

BLu-Ray disc are 25 GB single layer, and 50 double layer, same goes for the WiiU's disc.

AzaK

BLu-Ray disc are 25 GB single layer, and 50 double layer, same goes for the WiiU's disc.

Dual layer? It'd support dual layer.. .. wouldn't it?
Everything we have been told is that it's 25GB

GI article on Wii U. It reads like a NeoGAF Wii U thread, myopic views of Nintendo and inability to actually think about the GamePad with any depth. I would have made a thread but I'm on my iPad.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...will-wii-u-get-the-3rd-party-support-it-needs

Everything we have been told is that it's 25GB

GI article on Wii U. It reads like a NeoGAF Wii U thread, myopic views of Nintendo and inability to actually think about the GamePad with any depth. I would have made a thread but I'm on my iPad.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...will-wii-u-get-the-3rd-party-support-it-needs

True enough. You would just assume it would be dual layer reader... has to be! How many games on the PS3 were dual layer and how many games on the 360 were multi-disc? Was it in the 100's?

still leaves my question unanswered: what does any of that have to do with downloading?

See my post above mate.

I could be like the Wii, where all launch games are single layer. It wasn't until Brawl that Wii got dual-layer support....
From a firmware update as i recall... but at work and can't research.

I was thinking about making thread about this, but it might not be a good idea.

I think it´s a big mistake that Nintendo did not show the WiiU at Gamescom. Nintendo could have had a tonne of free media coverage and average consumers could have tried the WiiU.

Gamescom immediately established itself as a world leading games event. 275,000 visitors overall of whom 21,400 were trade visitors and more than 250,000 end consumers, more than 5,000 journalists and 557 exhibitors from 39 countries attended the show in 2011.

http://www.ukti.gov.uk/export/sectors/creativemedia/item/296240.html

There are 250k attended at Gamescom last, so it´s a huge event. Nintendo could have made a great impression on people there.

Nintendo not showing up made them lose free advertising, and early good impression from consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom