• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewox

Banned
So I played the Wii U today at a private event..
It was pretty cool!
Graphics were pretty good on the games..

First game I played was ZombiU.
I'm proud to say that I'm one of the few people to beat the demo! ^_^
As for the game.. it looked good, but as for the gameplay.. it seemed a bit clunky.
We got to play a section where you start off with a gun and a whiffle Bat.
You have to progress through this nursery home and kill the zombies(about 10), get a bag, then escape. When I reached my first zombie, I was slightly disappointed for two reasons:
1. The analog placement on the controller was a bit disorienting.. making it hard to aim the gun.
2. Headshots seemed impossible to land. There were times that I had the crosshair centered on a zombie's head, but I'd end up hitting it somewhere elsewhere.
After my ammo ran out, my character pulled out the whiffle bat.
This is where the real clunky part came in. There were two attacks: a swing, and a shove. The hit detection seemed pretty poor from what I played.. I was missing quite a bit, even though it seemed like I was right on them.
I seemed to have a better handle on controls than most, since I beat the demo, but it still bugged me. I'll write more later since I'm on my phone right now.

Just to make everything clear ... this is exclusively game software impression, FPS genre is not designed for analogs so that argument against controller hardware is invalid, other things are too subjective to be 100% fact because it contains several user-dependant factors such as skill an usability experience, but generally this fits with expectations, ZombiU is not Doom.

This does not change anyhing for WiiU it self, wiiu zapper is still the only control method i will use to play any FPS on wiiu at all.

Coolwhip

Banned
Its a general homage of the whole "Wii U haz not enough ghz, shaders, clockspeed" etc... And its spelled NES in short! Thats why Not Enough Shaders and not Not Enough Clockspeed, for example ;)

The site looks nice but the name is probably a bit too 'inside joke' ish. I don't really see a site called Notenoughshaders really become one of the Nintendo hotspots on the internet. Could be wrong though. And maybe that's not even your goal.

MDX

Pinball Arcade: Star Trek The Next Generation
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-star-trek-the-next-generation

Help us bring the Star Trek: The Next Generation pinball table to game consoles and mobile devices for a whole new generation to enjoy!

Here at FarSight Studios we have over 20 years of experience developing video games on consoles, phones, and tablets. We are also pinball fanatics. For the last seven years we’ve been developing modern videogame recreations of classic pinball tables. We have licenses from the original manufacturers of the tables (Bally, Gottlieb, Stern, and Williams) to do this. Our latest project is called the Pinball Arcade and is currently available on a wide variety of platforms: the iPhone, iPad, Android phones and tables, the Kindle Fire, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PS Vita, and Macintosh, with versions coming soon for the PC, and Nintendo Wii U.

Sheroking

Just to make everything clear ... this is exclusively game software impression, FPS genre is not designed for analogs so that argument against controller hardware is invalid, other things are too subjective to be 100% fact because it contains several user-dependant factors such as skill an usability experience, but generally this fits with expectations, ZombiU is not Doom.

This does not change anyhing for WiiU it self, wiiu zapper is still the only control method i will use to play any FPS on wiiu at all.

Well of course it's subjective. The opinion that FPS games are better with a mouse or IR is subjective, and in the case of the latter, not even popular. Many people suffer motion sickness or find the aiming, though more accurate, to be flighty and loose.

The analog placement issue seems to be an issue of expectation and practice. I have a lot more difficulty aiming with DualShock than I do with a 360 controller, because I hate the analog placement. But if I actually spent any time with it, I'm sure it would be better. I have a very hard time believing it will be any different with Wii U.

Sheroking

But my question is how does Nintendo plan to distribute so much information in so little time?

Distribute what information? Consumers have short memories. The gamers will pick up everything from a single conference, the casuals will read about it or see advertisements in the weeks leading up to launch.

It's not like they have to send horses to Winterfell.

MDX

But my question is how does Nintendo plan to distribute so much information in so little time?

Youtube

&

a4da10e18718a87b86ec3090c30bbe8b.jpg

They coming down to the wire for price/etc announcements. Not sure what is going on but it's after mid August already. Did someone go on a vacation or something? Maybe Reggie is on an island (Lost) somewhere lol?

Eurogamer said:
UPDATE: We've updated the headline of this article to better reflect the content of the story. Sega was referring to the visuals of Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed on Wii U compared to the visuals of the other versions, not the graphics capabilities of the Wii U itself. Sorry for the confusion this has caused

link

MDX

They coming down to the wire for price/etc announcements. Not sure what is going on but it's after mid August already. Did someone go on a vacation or something? Maybe Reggie is on an island (Lost) somewhere lol?

Well many people (as in customers) are on vacation, or just getting back to get ready for school. So if you want maximum exposure to your target audience, best start your campaign end of august early september.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I think Alberto has said Nintendo wants to give space to NSMB2/3DSXL before really starting the Wii U hype train.

I feel like Nintendo knows they are torturing us. They're just laughing though...Itprintsmoney.gif laughing..

D-e-f-

Banned
The analog placement issue seems to be an issue of expectation and practice. I have a lot more difficulty aiming with DualShock than I do with a 360 controller, because I hate the analog placement. But if I actually spent any time with it, I'm sure it would be better. I have a very hard time believing it will be any different with Wii U.

This is why I roll my eyes when people say after 10 minutes that it was weird or sucked or whatever it is. It's a different configuration, of course it takes getting used to. All those people can't tell me they never had an issue going from a DualShock to a 360 controller or from Mouse/Keyboard to gamepads in general.

It's better to ignore all statements regarding this specific matter.

I think Alberto has said Nintendo wants to give space to NSMB2/3DSXL before really starting the Wii U hype train.

Didn't Nintendo say that themselves even? I have no idea when or where (might've been the investors call?).

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
As most of the hardware discussion has been nothing but appalling (more than usual) in Gaming Discussion as of lately, I made something a bit more comprehensible. It's a comparison between the amount of information Nintendo has released for each system regarding hardware information/specs, via press releases or their homepage. To see how things have advanced:

Gamecube (via archived page of nintendo.com, anno 2002)

MPU("Microprocessor Unit")*: Custom IBM Power PC "Gekko"
Manufacturing Process: 0.18 micron IBM Copper Wire Technology
Clock Frequency: 485 MHz
CPU Capacity: 1125 Dmips (Dhrystone 2.1)
Internal Data Precision: 32-bit Integer & 64-bit Floating-point
External Bus: 1.3GB/second peak bandwidth (32-bit address space, 64-bit data bus 162 MHz clock)
Internal Cache: L1: Instruction 32KB, Data 32KB (8 way) L2: 256KB (2 way)
System LSI: Custom ATI/Nintendo "Flipper"
Manufacturing Process: 0.18 micron NEC Embedded DRAM Process
Clock Frequency: 162 MHz
Embedded Frame Buffer: Approx. 2MB Sustainable Latency : 6.2ns (1T-SRAM)
Embedded Texture Cache: Approx. 1MB Sustainable Latency : 6.2ns (1T-SRAM)
Texture Read Bandwidth: 10.4GB/second (Peak)
Main Memory Bandwidth: 2.6GB/second (Peak)
Pixel Depth: 24-bit Color, 24-bit Z Buffer
Image Processing Functions: Fog, Subpixel Anti-aliasing, 8 Hardware Lights, Alpha Blending, Virtual Texture Design, Multi-texturing, Bump Mapping, Environment Mapping, MIP Mapping, Bilinear Filtering, Trilinear Filtering, Anisotropic Filtering, Real-time Hardware Texture Decompression (S3TC), Real-time Decompression of Display List, HW 3-line Deflickering filter

The following sound related functions are all incorporated into the System LSI

Sound Processor: custom Macronix 16-bit DSP
Instruction Memory: 8KB RAM + 8KB ROM
Data Memory: 8KB RAM + 4KB ROM
Clock Frequency: 81 MHz
Performance: 64 simultaneous channels, ADPCM encoding
Sampling Frequency: 48KHz
System Floating-point Arithmetic Capability: 10.5 GFLOPS (Peak) (MPU, Geometry Engine, HW Lighting Total)
Real-world polygon: 6 million to 12 million polygons/second (Peak) (Assuming actual game conditions with complex models, fully textured, fully lit, etc.)
System Memory: 40MB
Main Memory: 24 MB MoSys 1T-SRAM, Approximately 10ns Sustainable Latency
A-Memory: 16MB (81MHz DRAM)
Disc Drive: CAV (Constant Angular Velocity) System
Average Access Time: 128ms
Data Transfer Speed: 16Mbps to 25Mbps
Media: 3 inch NINTENDO GAMECUBE Disc based on Matsushita's
Optical Disc Technology, Approx. 1.5GB Capacity
Input/Output: Controller Port x4
Memory Card Slot x2
Analog AV Output x1
Digital AV Output x1
High-Speed Serial Port x2
High-Speed Parallel Port x1
Power Supply: AC Adapter DC12V x 3.25A
Main Unit Dimensions: 4.3"(H) x 5.9"(W) x 6.3"(D)

Wii (via archived page of nintendo.com, anno September 2006)

Controls: Intuitive control for anyone using the physical motion of the main Wii Remote, which resembles a television remote control. Up to four Wii Remotes can be connected at once using wireless Bluetooth technology. The wireless signal can be detected within 10 meters of the console. Both the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers include a three-axis motion sensor. The Wii Remote also includes a speaker, rumble feature and expansion port, and can be used as a pointer within 5 meters of the screen. The Wii Remote has a power switch, plus pad, A, B, Minus, Home, 1 and 2 buttons. The Nunchuk controller includes an analog control stick and C and Z buttons.

The Look: Wii features a compact design that will make it a natural addition to any television setup. It can be displayed either vertically or horizontally.

Media: A single self-loading media bay will play single- or double-layered 12-centimeter optical discs for Wii, as well as 8-centimeter Nintendo GameCube discs.

Communication: Wii can communicate with the Internet even when the power is turned off. This WiiConnect24 service delivers a new surprise or game update, even if users do not play with Wii. Users can connect wirelessly using IEEE 802.11b/g, or with a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor. Wii also can communicate wirelessly with Nintendo DS.

Virtual Console: Wii will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). The Virtual Console also will feature a "best of" selection from Sega Genesis titles and games from the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). It also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers whose creativity is larger than their budgets.

The Specs: Wii boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi capability. A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory. Design was optimized with state-of-the-art processing technologies that minimize power consumption, keep the console compact and enable the "sleepless" WiiConnect24 mode.

CPU: PowerPC CPU (code-named "Broadway"). Made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, jointly developed with and manufactured by IBM.

Graphics Processing Unit: Being developed with ATI.

Other Features: Four ports for classic Nintendo GameCube controllers. Two slots for Nintendo GameCube Memory Cards. An AV Multi-output port for component, composite or S-video.
Wii U (from Wii U Hardware Fact Sheet at E3 2012)

Wii U GamePad: The Wii U GamePad controller removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. It incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 aspect ratio LCD touch screen, as well as traditional
button controls and two analog sticks. Inputs include a +Control Pad, L/R sticks, L/R stick buttons, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons, ZL/ZR buttons, Power button, HOME button, - SELECT button, +/START button, and TV CONTROL button. The GamePad also includes motion control (powered by an accelerometer, gyroscope and geomagnetic sensor), a front-facing camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, rumble features, a sensor bar, an included stylus and support for Near Field Communication (NFC) functionality. It is powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery and weighs approximately 1.1 pounds (500 g).

Other Controllers: The Wii U console is capable of supporting two Wii U GamePad controllers, up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers or Wii U Pro Controllers, and Wii accessories such as the Nunchuk, Classic Controller and Wii Balance Board.

CPU: IBM PowerⓇ-based multi-core processor.

GPU: AMD Radeon™-based High Definition GPU.

Storage: Wii U uses an internal flash memory. It also supports SD memory cards and external USB storage.

Media: Wii U and Wii optical discs.

Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, Wii D-Terminal, Wii Component Video, Wii RGB, Wii S-Video Stereo AV and Wii AV.

Audio Output: Uses six-channel PCM linear output via HDMI™ connector, or analog output via the AV Multi Out connector.

Networking: Wii U can access the Internet via wireless (IEEE 802.11b/g/n) connection. The
console features four USB 2.0 connectors – two in the front and two in the rear – that
support Wii LAN Adapters.

Wii Compatibility: Nearly all Wii software and accessories can be used with Wii U.

Interestingly enough, no press releases from AMD and IBM respectively were issued at E3 2005 and E3 2006 regarding the CPU and GPU, though details about when these were to be initially shipped became available quickly. While we have received virtually no information about the microprocessor or the GPU this year, at least some articles and press releases surfaced at E3 last year. So if you look at it closely, Nintendo has actually via press releases etc. distributed more information about Wii U than they did with Wii. If there's more content coming from Wii U interviews than Wii interviews regarding hardware I don't know, but I don't remember the IR agenda back then being as open as it is now. And from, there Mr. Iwata has commented a few times about Wii U's capabilities.

Still, it would be nice if they could provide some nice details. Hopefully I will be able to raise money to purchase an additional Wii U at release to do some reverse engineering to determine its powers, but I would prefer not having to do that (most reports online dealing with reverse engineering (for 3DS, Vita etc.) haven't been sufficient in my opinion).

The problem here is to determine what kind of information about the hardware would be worthwhile for the larger crowd. And in that aspect, I cannot think of anything else than what is directly connected to portability (which doesn't become too relevant until the first details about Durango and Orbis have been made available). For the third party issues are by far a very frequent topic of conversation, among both casuals and core gamers.

Hm? The game is out. It looks stunning regardless of the platform it's on. It just does.
I know.I have it on 360. I know how the game looks. Its the whole thing with the WiiU devs/and others in the industry...Everone says the WiiU one looks stunning or something yet we havent see anything.

Edit: Also anyone wanting to see some p100 footage heres one that came out during E3 that I missed. I think its like 15 min long or something. A very good watch :)

http://youtu.be/wmCZjzr8l-8

Stewox

Banned
Well of course it's subjective. The opinion that FPS games are better with a mouse or IR is subjective, and in the case of the latter, not even popular. Many people suffer motion sickness or find the aiming, though more accurate, to be flighty and loose.

That has to be the silliest assesment about input devices I ever heard.

In that you're saying that ~80% of CS, Starcraft 2, Quake, UT pro players would have motion sickness everytime they tried to play, competitions would be non-existant, are they?

And for anyone that has any further doubts, check out the two links below: Really need to make this v-i-s-i-b-l-e

http://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/233246491366551553
http://twitter.com/KevinSpecfreq/status/233241669242322944
http://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/233240260568551425

I didn't came here to spread bs :)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Ah ok, thanks. I couldnt remember the cutscene stuff from the first trailer, so i thought it was something new. But i probably just forgot it from the first trailer.

Unfortunately nothing new. I played the E3 demo and those scenes were already there. I wish we could see some new locations soon.

Um.. Forgive me if I'm late to this party -- but there is currently four player multiplayer going on in this trailer. From what I understand, all of the transformations and whatnot require a gamepad to complete. So.. Four gamepads/online multiplayer confirmed11!omg?
They havent confirmed it but it looks like that. Locally I could see 1 Upad to control the drawing and 3 WiiU pro controllers....man the wait is killing me..

Wasn't aware of the dislikes. People are crazy mang.

I wasn't excited for the game either seeing it right after the E3 conference, when I didn't really know any of the details yet.
Game should have been on the conference, obviously. So much of the other shit getting actual show time should have been put into a trailer reel instead.

ohlawd

I wasn't excited for the game either seeing it right after the E3 conference, when I didn't really know any of the details yet.
Game should have been on the conference, obviously. So much of the other shit getting actual show time should have been put into a trailer reel instead.

I would have been okay with 20 minutes of Pikmin 3 and 40 minutes of Project P-100 at Nintendo's E3 showing.

Sheroking

That has to be the silliest assesment about input devices I ever heard.

In that you're saying that ~80% of CS, Starcraft 2, Quake, UT pro players would have motion sickness everytime they tried to play, competitions would be non-existant, are they?

And for anyone that has any further doubts, check out the two links below: Really need to make this v-i-s-i-b-l-e

http://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/233246491366551553
http://twitter.com/KevinSpecfreq/status/233241669242322944
http://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/233240260568551425

I didn't came here to spread bs :)

What?

That's not at all what I said, or what any sane, literate person would take from what I said.

I said, simply, that opinions vary and that many people do not like mouse+keyboard configurations. I said that many more people than that, including myself, dislike IR aiming because it's loose and it's easy to get motion sick playing it.

Of course it's subjective. The simple fact that it's more accurate does not make it more enjoyable for everyone.

OryoN

Um.. Forgive me if I'm late to this party -- but there is currently four player multiplayer going on in this trailer. From what I understand, all of the transformations and whatnot require a gamepad to complete. So.. Four gamepads/online multiplayer confirmed11!omg?

That would be awesome, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. It was confirmed - and demonstrated that - that the transformation can be done using button and stick combinations.

MDX

I think thats 4 player online.

Made this for the many, many Wii U hardware threads. Enjoy.

DoctorWiiUIPresume.gif

One of my favourite Garak moments, right up there with "You mean no-one told you? You see, I pretend to be their friend... and then I shoot you.".

(it's a shame that latter one was an imaginary Garak)

Monster Hunter Tri Unite for Wii U? :O.

totallynotfakescreenshot.jpeg

Those prices are absolutely ridiculous, across the board.

edit:
Incidentally, I love the moire pattern that only shows up when the picture is downsized by GAF quoting.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Now I'm starting to think it's fake

I got it here.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/63778796

But just looked and he created his account today, I still PM'd the guy but take it with a HUGE grain of salt, sorry for posting it before looking everything up first :(, that was my fault.

Yeah, in the future be very wary of stuff like that, especially if it is from gamefaqs. The image is already on the Monster Hunter thread so its already spreading.

Meelow

Banned
Yeah, in the future be very wary of stuff like that, especially if it is from gamefaqs. The image is already on the Monster Hunter thread so its already spreading.

Yeah sorry about that, I just got very hyped real fast and I wanted to believe you know?.

It's still possible that Monster Hunter can be coming to Wii U because Capcom said they are developing on a Wii U title and they said we'd get Monster Hunter news soon so the reason they might not be announcing it yet is because of the NDA, that's what I hope though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom