• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meelow

Banned
Thanks to you two
Fell asleep and couldn't respond :p

No Problem.

About the 5th Cell comment

I have to say Gaming Industry that made up that rumor saying the Wii U is weaker than the PS3/360 should get no creditability after that, not everyone believed that rumor but there where people that went on about it, it's just sad.

It's just nice that more devs are sticking up for Wii U's power.

No Problem.

I have to say Gaming Industry that made up that rumor saying the Wii U is weaker than the PS3/360 should get no creditability after that, not everyone believed that rumor but there where people that went on about it, it's just sad.

Also, the thread title change....why was it necessary?

JAYinHD

No Problem.

You know it makes me wonder if certain developers have their own personal agenda. I'm not in that boat that says "the industry is against Nintendo" (not calling anyone out). It's just kinda weird to be honest with you that these "anonymous" sources would say it's not even on par with the current gen. Though we have actual developers saying otherwise.

Earendil

Doubles as a dock for Goa'uld vessels.

I lol'd

I'm really confused by the lack of a USB 3.0 port. It can't really cost that much more, can it? Or especially eSATA because there's already a SATA port internally. How hard would it be to pin out one extra connector? I know that USB 2.0 is probably fast enough, but it's just one more thing for 3rd parties to latch onto and use as an excuse.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased as punch that I can use an external drive and don't have to pay extra for an internal one when I have a 1.5 TB external sitting 18 inches from me right now. But I really think they should be limiting the amount of ammo for excuses.

MDX

You know it makes me wonder if certain developers have their own personal agenda. I'm not in that boat that says "the industry is against Nintendo" (not calling anyone out). It's just kinda weird to be honest with you that these "anonymous" sources would say it's not even on par with the current gen. Though we have actual developers saying otherwise.

Oh come one its obvious Sony and MS would resort to such tactics.
MS admitted they would lie about a new console just to stop the buzz of a competitor launching theirs.

This is a billion dollar industry. With that kind of money at stake, corporations are not going to play nice.

The_Lump

Banned
Another Junior here I'm afraid. Thanks for all the WUST threads people, its been a joy/horror to read/follow. Rather 'psyched' to now be able to join in the fun :D

I'm also a little confused about the USB 3.0 omission. I mean I fully expected it, just cos. But does it really cost that much more to implement? I heard it can aid and cheapen the manufacturing process (quicker flashing) - would that not out weigh the initial cost?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Another Junior here I'm afraid. Thanks for all the WUST threads people, its been a joy/horror to read/follow. Rather 'psyched' to now be able to join in the fun :D

I'm also a little confused about the USB 3.0 omission. I mean I fully expected it, just cos. But does it really cost that much more to implement? I heard it can aid and cheapen the manufacturing process (quicker flashing) - would that not out weigh the initial cost?

Nintendo removed component from GC because it was costing them too much. Don't expect USB 3.0 considering nintendo is going to justify most only needing a legacy usb standard over the best one available.

Nibel

Welcome on board, buddy :)
The more people, the more fun!

And again:

dat bird demo gif.

iYfPC0qhCSLe1.gif

Here's a question...

Do you think Nintendo will add a wrist strap for the GamePad? I've dropped just about every controller I ever had at least once and I'd hate to see how the GamePad ends up, considering I don't have a carpeted floor.

I don't thinks so. But I'm just going to take one from one of my 4 wiimotes and attach it to the GamePad. Or maybe I'll get them on Club Nintendo.

Aside from tech-heads like us, who out there has an external eSATA drive. Hell the majority of people don't even know what eSATA is.

I sure don't, and I consider myself a pretty avid gamer :/

The inside environments look fantastic, they really nailed the atmosphere. I wasn't as impressed with the outside though.

I'm going to wait a bit and see how it turns out at release. Ubisoft has a tendency to post bullshots.

If I told you that I might get banned.

AYAYAY CARAMBA! muy CALIENTE! But my excitement deflates at the sight of your avatar XD

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The game looks nice, but the screenshots are bullshots. Because Ubisoft is incapable of releasing anything other than bullshots and their PR department has been a joke for years.

Those recent AC3 multiplayer 'screenshots' are obvious bullshots too. Bullshots bullshots bullshots.

The one and only reliable thing with Ubi.

ZombieU looks generic and I hate using that term. Looks like a game I've played quite a few times already. This is a case where going with stylized visuals would've been better but I get why it's important to have one of these realistic "mature" games at launch. What was that other FPS with the little green aliens? That looks 10x more interesting.

Sadist

ZombieU looks generic and I hate using that term. Looks like a game I've played quite a few times already. This is a case where going with stylized visuals would've been better but I get why it's important to have one of these realistic "mature" games at launch. What was that other FPS with the little green aliens? That looks 10x more interesting.
You mean Killer Freaks from Outer Space? Zombi U IS Killer Freaks. During development they decided to change it up.

ozfunghi

same game... green aliens replaced by zombies

Hoodbury

I always get confused when people try to say what you said. The game looks generic and you've played other similar games quite a few times before? Why did you play those other games if they were also generic and had already played similar games to them too? Am I just not interpreting you correctly?

The game ZombiU took over was Freaks from Outer Space. In my opinion that looked like horrible shovelware trash. Something I would never touch. I probably won't get ZombiU either due to already planning on buying too much else, but to me it looks a lot better than what shooting 2 foot little slimeballs would turn into.

I can understand the feeling of zombie games as getting a bit over saturated though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I said it around E3, but I personally preferred the idea of Killer Freaks more than Zombie U. I enjoy satirical, silly shooters that don't take themselves too seriously, and I was under the impression Killer Freaks was just that. Kind of a homage to exploitation cinema, with a crazy protagonist fighting silly gross aliens. Basically a non-on rails HOTD: Overkill, with mutant Rabbids. That to me sounded cool.

Zombie U is doing some cool stuff with the GamePad and I like the focus on survivability, but stylistically it does nothing for me at all, nothing that hasn't been done before in games that I find more interesting. So in that respect I do wish it had gone for something a bit more original and interesting, as I found Killer Freaks, and not just 'another' serious Zombie game.

A serious Zombie game is probably easier to market though.

USC-fan

Banned

Well if you look at the wiiu system, there can be parts that are alot more power, just more powerful and on par or weaker at this point.

Its clear some developers are having issues with the cpu. So this maybe a lot of the comments about it being "weaker" came from. Now just because they have this issue dont mean it is really is weaker. Because it will take time for them to learn how to get a around these issue. Like the cell in the ps3, it was different so we had developers complaining that it was hard to get performance out of the cpu in ps3. Now the cell in the ps3 is a plus because they have learn to used it the best way possible.

Now we know it have more ram and the gpu is above the ps360. The disc storage is above xbox360.

I always get confused when people try to say what you said. The game looks generic and you've played other similar games quite a few times before? Why did you play those other games if they were also generic and had already played similar games to them too? Am I just not interpreting you correctly?

The game ZombiU took over was Freaks from Outer Space. In my opinion that looked like horrible shovelware trash. Something I would never touch. I probably won't get ZombiU either due to already planning on buying too much else, but to me it looks a lot better than what shooting 2 foot little slimeballs would turn into.

I can understand the feeling of zombie games as getting a bit over saturated though.

The other games I played had a lot of other things going for them. Dead Island was one of my favorite games last year and it was open-world, had 4 player online co-op, and most importantly took place in a bright colorful tropical island, it was awesome despite all the bugs. Then Left 4 Dead. I obviously haven't read up on ZombieU so I don't know what its hooks are. Art style wise it looks super generic tho. Probably a case of Nintendo or Ubi deciding "hey we need a mature FPS at launch to help with the image of Nintendo consoles, can you make them realistic zombies instead". Smart-move business-wise. My personal FPS tastes have evolved from realistic COD/Battlefield military shooters to stuff like Borderlands 2, I love that stylistic yet STILL mature and gory approach.

Sadist

Or we're all suffering from zombie game overdose. I mean I like zombie games and all but there are just to many games about the undead right now. Allthough I have to admit that Zombi U looks pretty sweet.

DynamicG

The over all visual style feels like the developer took the visual average of every zombie shooter currently released. I think generic in this context means there is no single distinguishing visual element about the zombies or game setting. The defining focus is on the gamepad and how it integrates into time management and tension, but at first glance it just looks like a game with zombies in it.

I never really thought about killer freaks too much. It just seemed like a CGI teaser.

I am excited for the game. I like the idea of external "real world" objects being used to influence gameplay, so using the gamepad and real-time inventory is right up my alley.

Meelow

Banned
I think Zombi U looks really good, definitely wanna my launch titles.

You can also tell the character and Zombi's looks a little better visually than from E3 so that's good.

big_erk

ZombiU looks to me to be going for what Resident Evil once was. Pure survival horror. The inclusion of the gamepad along with the interesting ways in which it is being used stops it from being generic.

The_Lump

Banned
I think Zombi U looks really good, definitely wanna my launch titles.

You can also tell the character and Zombi's looks a little better visually than from E3 so that's good.

I thought maybe the ragdoll physics/skeletals had improved slightly too....but on 2nd viewing not so sure. The way the cricket bat chipped the top of the zombies head off was a nice touch too. Gross: but nice.

Meelow

Banned
I thought maybe the ragdoll physics/skeletals had improved slightly too....but on 2nd viewing not so sure. The way the cricket bat chipped the top of the zombies head off was a nice touch too. Gross: but nice.

Yeah I think Ubisoft just has to work on it the characters and Zombies a little bit more.

Does anyone know is that 'Zombie Cam' thing they demo'd at E3 where they made Reggie look like a zombie just a tech demo thing they showed off?

Or I wonder if we'll be able to take screen shots of ourselves as zombies and incorporate them into the game and then via mii-verse populate other peoples worlds with our zombies.

That would be kinda neat.

It's apart of the game.

Hoodbury

Yeah I think Ubisoft just has to work on it the characters and Zombies a little bit more.

Does anyone know is that 'Zombie Cam' thing they demo'd at E3 where they made Reggie look like a zombie just a tech demo thing they showed off?

Or I wonder if we'll be able to take screen shots of ourselves as zombies and incorporate them into the game and then via mii-verse populate other peoples worlds with our zombies.

That would be kinda neat.

The_Lump

Banned

What like being able to chip the bearskin hat off the Palace Guardsmen's head :p

But yeah the still need to work on the character models fo sho. Everything else is looking peachy.

DynamicG

Aww, what about the Queens Guard Zombie? Come on now, have you really ever seen a zombie in another game wearing such a big hat? :p

I didn't think about that. I have never seen a zombie with a hat that big before.

Maybe the visual style changes when it gets into more open areas. UK style city streets and guard outposts would be a nice visual change from other games.

That one ZombieU art shot with the washing machines keeps giving me flashbacks to the slot machines in the first Red Steel bullshots. I think it' the round windows.

JAYinHD

Think this is the same footage in HD. Definitely looks like a new build to me. Lighting and shadows look super.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcAV-M5H2fU

Shit, see the Zombie at 2mins... looks 100% better.

Yes, I agree. Everything looks quite a bit smoother than the E3 build. Looks like another game I have to add to the list of games I will buy at launch.

I can't believe I'm considering this after buying Red Steel at the Wii launch lol.

ugoo18

Yes, I agree. Everything looks quite a bit smoother than the E3 build. Looks like another game I have to add to the list of games I will buy at launch.

I can't believe I'm considering this after buying Red Steel at the Wii launch lol.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ubisoft had Nintendo help them out a bit again like with RS2.

ZombiU looks to me to be going for what Resident Evil once was. Pure survival horror. The inclusion of the gamepad along with the interesting ways in which it is being used stops it from being generic.

Yeah I agree. I personally think it looks pretty good, although yah i can see how people would think the art style looks a little generic. But I think the gamepad use seems very awesome. One the best uses of the gamepad thus far imo.

big_erk

I think the gamepad use seems very awesome. One the best uses of the gamepad thus far imo.

And this is from a launch game. I really do think the gamepad is going to open up many new gameplay experiences. The fact that it is so tightly integrated into the console gives it the advantage over its competitors.

nordique

Interesting, the latest build seems to be quite the upgrade especially the lighting. THe nursery from E3 to that build shows a fair difference.

nice find, MIB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom