• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArynCrinn

Banned
That's pretty much what I'm saying.

Alright, gottcha. I'm just of the mind that a real HD Mario is by default a sidescroller. I love the Galaxies as much as anybody but Nintendo needs to figure out a way to perfect the camera and bring the same tile perfect accuracy and non-floaty controls to a 3D game. That would be cool, that would be the perfect 3D Mario in my eyes.

Terrell

If all of us (me) who are bitching and moaning about Wii U specs this and specs that had 1/2 the level of excitement of HipHopGamer, we'd stop worrying about that shit and just enjoy the games.

Indeed. He actually seems to think it's all really cool. But I think he just has an enthusiasm about his entire job that very few, if any, in his field can match.

On a side note, while I know that man can't bear me any children, I'll be damned if I wouldn't want to try, if you dig my lingo.

If all of us (me) who are bitching and moaning about Wii U specs this and specs that had 1/2 the level of excitement of HipHopGamer, we'd stop worrying about that shit and just enjoy the games.

Lol yeah. Does he normally have good nintendo coverage or is he just enthusiastic about everything? I liked his Darksiders 2 interview and in his ubisoft interview he basically confirmed splinter cell blacklist for the wii u

AniHawk

Sorry. Mirror's Edge just wasn't very interesting for me. It was like my character was trying to visually navigate the original Steel Battalion controller through interpretive free running. Mirror's Edge was a strong idea, but it's not a strong franchise. A second attempt is just throwing money into a pit.

6a00d8341c68f553ef01310ff3f483970c-800wi_7998.jpg

it was a first-person platformer. i think only like 2 or 3 of those have ever been done. and man it controlled so well (on the 360 at least).

it's a game of deception- it points you on this path and you kinda just go ahead and do it. and then you play the time trials and do a speed run of your path and whatever. then you learn there are ways around the level. there are secret areas to reward you with a shortcut for your skill and ingenuity. it's classic platforming presented in a new way and i thought it was fucking brilliant. it looked and sounded pretty great too.

NateDrake

Lol yeah. Does he normally have good nintendo coverage or is he just enthusiastic about everything? I liked his Darksiders 2 interview and in his ubisoft interview he basically confirmed splinter cell blacklist for the wii u

He mostly loves Sony but goes nuts over everything and anything. Every game he reviews he says is the best game of the year. I don't think he has ever hated a single thing.

ArynCrinn

Banned
it was a first-person platformer. i think only like 2 or 3 of those have ever been done. and man it controlled so well (on the 360 at least).

it's a game of deception- it points you on this path and you kinda just go ahead and do it. and then you play the time trials and do a speed run of your path and whatever. then you learn there are ways around the level. there are secret areas to reward you with a shortcut for your skill and ingenuity. it's classic platforming presented in a new way and i thought it was fucking brilliant. it looked and sounded pretty great too.

Totally agree, it was Trackmania, Super Meat Boy, Trials, Lost Levels quality speedrunning in first-person perspective. Control wise it definitely could have been a bit better, imo, but otherwise the time trials were one of the high points of this generation.

I'd love to see a Wii U version or sequel where very subtle movements of the gyro, sort of shifting weight physics and better air and fall control could contribute to this formula. Maybe only applicable to casual runners, but if you learned to master the weight-gyro stuff, it would open up totally new paths and potential strategies.

Just out of curiosity I decided to check out the fees that Apple imposes on developers. From what I gathered (surprisingly easily), developers are given 70% and Apple takes 30% (no charge when apps are free though).

If Nintendo has indeed dropped the percentage of revenue taken from downloadable software from 30% to 15%, that is MAJOR news. Though Nintendo's tough (and long, relative to other platforms) approval process and the other fees related to becoming a licensed developer as well as the requirements to even apply will always be large deterrents, such a change would definitely ensure that the Wii U was pretty well off when it comes to download content (this already seems to be the case w/ the announcements so far)(especially now that they've gotten rid of the download # requirement and advertisement seems to be done for free upon release). Unlike the 3DS which even with this change would still suffer from a lack of engine compatibility (not even fricken Unity supports the damn thing ): ), the Wii U has no such problem and so can benefit fully. I'm excited for the Ushop's future if this is a permanent deal. If anything, it'll certainly be more attractive than Live of PSN for the most part.

I'd really love for a developer to have a tell-all session regarding 3DS and Wii U e-shop development one day (some like Jools have made small comments, but didn't say too much).....

AzaK

Just out of curiosity I decided to check out the fees that Apple imposes on developers. From what I gathered (surprisingly easily), developers are given 70% and Apple takes 30% (no charge when apps are free though).

If Nintendo has indeed dropped the percentage of revenue taken from downloadable software from 30% to 15%, that is MAJOR news. Though Nintendo's tough (and long, relative to other platforms) approval process and the other fees related to becoming a licensed developer as well as the requirements to even apply will always be large deterrents, such a change would definitely ensure that the Wii U was pretty well off when it comes to download content (this already seems to be the case w/ the announcements so far)(especially now that they've gotten rid of the download # requirement and advertisement seems to be done for free upon release). Unlike the 3DS which even with this change would still suffer from a lack of engine compatibility (not even fricken Unity supports the damn thing ): ), the Wii U has no such problem and so can benefit fully. I'm excited for the Ushop's future if this is a permanent deal. If anything, it'll certainly be more attractive than Live of PSN for the most part.

I'd really love for a developer to have a tell-all session regarding 3DS and Wii U e-shop development one day (some like Jools have made small comments, but didn't say too much).....

Thing is, aside from the 30%, it costs USD$99 to develop for iOS and while there is a lot of shit on iOS, there's some great games that would be awesome on other platforms if it wasn't for the shitty way platforms holders treat developers. Then go look at the eshop and you'll see rubbish at worst and passable at best and I wonder why Nintendo approves shit like that and devs thT want to make great gam get a hard time.

Sagitario

Not really; just Playstation platforms.There's still two mothership teams, Team Symphonia (Vesperia/Xilia) and Team Destiny (Destiny/Graces).
(and I haven't been able to confirm Tales of Innocence R credits roll as having being dealt with by Alpha System, could have been theirs but I doubt it).

Xillia was mainly done by the people who made Hearts. ToH was the first game of the third team... so we had Team Symphonia, Team Destiny and Team Hearts.
But there aren't any more teams, only leads/main directors with all staff being shared or working on all games, they are not 'separated' anymore.

Alfa System didn't work on Tales of Innocence R, 7th Chord did (the developer of the Keroro RPG that used the Hearts engine).

Stewox

Banned
Grand Theft Auto V -- Would be huge, but won't be announced this early.

TimeSplitters 4 -- Wild card. Could be great. Could be too great and lead to doubt, fear, and the dark side.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII -- This thing is dead. Wada is just trying to cover his ass so their stock doesn't dive because they are cancelling games they have poured years of money into.

Final Fantasy XV --We aren't going to see a genuine 15 until 13 is done and 14 is fixed.

Chrono Trigger 2 -- Chrono Cross came out for Playstation. I hope it's more than a straight port.

Resident Evil 6 -- Would be cool. Half expect something like this.

Nintendo vs Capcom -- More likely to see Capcom characters in Smash Bros or Nintendo characters in Project X Zone.

Mirror's Edge 2 -- Fodder.

Watch Dogs -- Dreams come true.

Super Smash Bros 4 trailer -- More dreams come true.

Yoshi's Island Wii U -- Nintendo will probably never be able to capture the charm of the original, and for that, they should leave it alone.

Earthbound Wii U -- Now you're just twisting the knife. Mother 2 was the best, flat out. Mother 3 was good, but.. I didn't like the combat system, and there were a couple other weird bits. If we're going to keep progressing down this road, I'd rather it just not happen. A good game will always be remembered for being good, but a bad game can tarnish a series forever.

F-Zero Wii U -- More GX please. Yes.

Star Fox Wii U -- Kind of excited? A new Star Fox needs to be big. No more linear fly-on-pseudo-rails. 3D space combat. Docking on the Great Fox for repairs/upgrades/customization. Would be cool to have it "open world." Use the GamePad to line up light speed travel, using the gamepad screen as a sort of scope, making sure you don't collide into anything before you can initiate the warp drive. Can descend onto a number of planets in real time, engage in land, sea, and air battles. A new Star Fox game could be tremendously awesome. But it has to evolve. It has to change to match the "depth and breadth" that Nintendo is trying to reach with the Wii U.

I notice you forgot to say "Metroid Wii U." So I'll help you just this once.

Metroid Wii U -- Yes win forever.

Except that I don't agree with plasting WiiU to every big first-party.

F-Zero should remain very hard difficulty and imo the perfect name could be F-Zero UX
I got overly enthusiastic when miyamoto said F-Zero would be a good idea for WiiU and written this http://pastebin.com/p2mqzfWX (in english too, but i have it littered with other translation comments currently)
Somebody needs to FAX this to Nintendo HQ in Japan or USA depending on where you are, shouldn't be that hard, and I'm it would probably cost a something to send it over 9000km from my place.

Star Fox needs more aerial stuff, don't turn it into zelda/adventure, I rather have Star Fox Adventures 2 as a separate IP and StarFox only for air. StarFox really in open space could prove spectacular, actually driving by planets and stars, with the motion cockpit-mode controler it would be awesome, oh the possibilities are HUGE.

EDIT:
English http://pastebin.com/0JFdMrwS

However it's not the perfect final version since i was doing in some text doc I saved elsewhere and cant find it now, it's pretty much the same except some word arrangements that I had done to parse the translator properly and retain sense, i had to pre-translate certain parts or they will not be properly translated when i put the whole text in ..etc

You summed up my feelings about Mirror's Edge in a couple of paragraphs.

I would have ranted too long, and lost my point somewhere in between. You're aces Ani.

AniHawk

You summed up my feelings about Mirror's Edge in a couple of paragraphs.

I would have ranted too long, and lost my point somewhere in between. You're aces Ani.

er, thanks. i've talked about it so much that i've pared it down to those points in particular. of course, i could always bring up examples to back up my points, but that would take effort.

mirror's edge, portal, and valkyria chronicles are the only three games i played where i honestly thought, 'whoa. next-gen.'

F-ZERO is such a phenomenal franchise, and I would love to see it back on the Wii U.

I can imagine it now... great HD graphics and a silky smooth frame rate (what they achieved with the Gamecube assures me they can squeeze all the power form the Wii U they can), vehicle customisation with the GamePad, hectic 30 player online races...

It just saddened me when Iwata gave those comments about the series and it's place on ninty's next console... sure, it gave a hope they'd think about making it, but it pretty much confirmed that nothing was in development...

It's no the same man :'(

In fact, that's like Nintendo are trolling me. Hm. Maybe I'm being too cynical and it means it's a franchise they consider to be valuable to the company and that will be revived soon.

I seriously think Nintendoland is Nintendo's attempts at raising a new hardcore gaming army :p First they get them acquainted wit all these awesome titles, then release the games at a later date...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ninendo should make F-Zero x Golden Sun.

ugoo18

I actually had a dream like this once. The character's face was twisted in fear, all the houses were on fire, the sea and ponds were black, there was rubbish and weeds everywhere and all the animals were crying/ill.

ANYWAY.

For some reason that sounds like an intro to a Zelda game

Thing is, aside from the 30%, it costs USD$99 to develop for iOS and while there is a lot of shit on iOS, there's some great games that would be awesome on other platforms if it wasn't for the shitty way platforms holders treat developers. Then go look at the eshop and you'll see rubbish at worst and passable at best and I wonder why Nintendo approves shit like that and devs thT want to make great gam get a hard time.

Actually I've been very pleasantly surprised by the good quality software that's appeared on the 3DS eShop so far. You may have a point with the majority of Wii eShop titles (although there are still a fair few good quality titles there too, World of Goo is awesome) but if the improvement shown between the Wii and 3DS eShops is anything to go by then we should end up with some cracking titles available to download for the U.

For some reason that sounds like an intro to a Zelda game

It was actually a very disturbing dream. All the sound was warped and horrible too, and there was this low organ tone throughout the experience. Also, y'know when you talk to animals and a little pipey tune plays? Every single one had a droning, moaning jumble of off pitch notes instead.

Stewox

Banned
I sent tweets to all nintendo account for that, hopefully hey noticed but i don't expect this will make a big impression, if just a few of you guys tweet that to all of em it may create some more of a substantial effect, as one tweet easily gets lost many, but this would be much more noticable.

BD1

Banned
If we are playing the "Predict Games" game again, don't forget to add Sonic Adventure 3.

You know there is a Wii U Sonic lurking somewhere...

Also, I was thinking about Wii U's holiday lineup and Sonic ASR has the potential to be one of its biggest hits. Kart Racing, Sonic on a Nintendo platform and a Wii U exclusive character. Could be big $$.

If we are playing the "Predict Games" game again, don't forget to add Sonic Adventure 3.

You know there is a Wii U Sonic lurking somewhere...

Also, I was thinking about Wii U's holiday lineup and Sonic ASR has the potential to be one of its biggest hits. Kart Racing, Sonic on a Nintendo platform and a Wii U exclusive character. Could be big $$.
As I recall Nintendo has exclusive rights to Wreck-it-Ralph video games. It was part of the deal to get classic Nintendo characters in the movie. So if the movie is as big as it seems its going to be and the WiiU version (edit: of Sonic ASR) has the exclusive Tie-in it could sell very well...

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The Wii is not in stock at major internet retailers such as GameStop.

Source: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31180

GRAPEVINE, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--GameStop’s first-ever Consumer EXPO is fast approaching, offering PowerUp Rewards™ members a unique opportunity to experience more than 200,000 square feet of video gaming, devices and accessories from more than 50 exhibitors. Tickets are limited, so consumers need to act fast to secure their spot to see top names in the video game and mobile electronics industries including:

• Activision/Blizzard

• ASUS

• Electronic Arts

• Microsoft

• Nintendo

• NVIDIA

• Sony Computer Entertainment of America

• Take-2 Interactive

• Turtle Beach

• Ubisoft

• WB Games

• And dozens more!
Attendees will also get the chance to experience the hottest new video games before they are released, get an up-close look at new tablets and mobile phones, enter to win great prizes and meet with a growing list of special guests and celebrities. Some of the top opportunities to expect at this year’s EXPO include:

• Get a sneak peek of Nintendo’s upcoming Wii U console and the Wii U GamePad controller

• Get hands-on experience at the Activision booth with Call of Duty: Black Ops II – including multiplayer – and the new Skylanders Giants products

• Get an autograph and meet two-time NBA world champion and TV analyst Kenny Smith at the Majesco booth

• Meet the developers from Assassin’s Creed 3, Far Cry 3 and Splinter Cell Blacklist at Ubisoft’s booth

• Be among the first to play God of War Ascension, Wonderbook: Book of Spells, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time and other upcoming titles at the Sony PlayStation booth
The GameStop EXPO 2012 will take place on Aug. 29, 2012 at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center in San Antonio, Texas. For complete details and to register, visit www.PowerUpRewards.com/PUR/Index/EXPO.
Source: http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...O-2012-Bigger-Exhibitors-Presenters-Announced

Of course, it says "sneak peek" so it could be anything basically, but this is the first "public" US appearance of Wii U as far as I know. And as Wii apparently is not interesting for GameStop anymore, perhaps this could be the start of some campaign. Still, I don't like the sound of "sneak peek".

Berg

I wonder if we'll have to wait till after the september ND for retail stores to have a demo WiiU. Hoping Gamestop will have one after their big event in texas? I'm sure Best Buy/Target stores will get one around the same time. Can't wait.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Also, here's something new (it's from yesterday, but I haven't seen it posted), it's a project by Slightly Mad Studios and Gamagio:

PLATFORM(S)
XBOX LIVE ARCADE, PLAYSTATION NETWORK, WII U, STEAM, BROWSER

PRODUCT OVERVIEW
BIKER BASH is a frenetic & fun arcade experience that combines Slightly Mad Studios’ history of creating innovative, immersive, and successful racing titles…
Source: http://wmdportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/BB_GDO_v12.pdf

Reminds me of Road Rash a bit. Here are some screens (version is not mentioned though):

bikerbashj4kf6.png

Sadist

Rösti;40334077 said:
Of course, it says "sneak peek" so it could be anything basically, but this is the first "public" appearance of Wii U as far as I know. And as Wii apparently is not interesting for GameStop anymore, perhaps this could be the start of some campaign. Still, I don't like the sound of "sneak peek".
Wii U will be at GamesCom, two weeks earlier

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Wii U will be at GamesCom, two weeks earlier
Oh, right. Well, the first public US event featuring Wii U then. Though gamescom will feature Wii U titles mainly by Ubisoft and Warner Bros, right? As Nintendo will be exhibiting at GameStop's event, maybe we get to see more from the first party titles, and maybe something new even (not necessarily games, but perhaps a look at the GUI).

Hoodbury

So another announcement of an announcement... Rich from IGN tweeted that around mid next week he'll be able to tell us about what he was doing in Japan this week. His tweet mentioned it was unprecedented what they got to do or experience.

I guess we'll see, but perhaps we might get some type of Wii-U news next week.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So another announcement of an announcement... Rich from IGN tweeted that around mid next week he'll be able to tell us about what he was doing in Japan this week. His tweet mentioned it was unprecedented what they got to do or experience.

I guess we'll see, but perhaps we might get some type of Wii-U news next week.

Does he cover anything else besides Nintendo?

yes, he does. I know of an NDAed press tour to Japan I assume he is talking about, which happened this week and is not Wii U related. Maybe this is something different but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Hoodbury

Does he cover anything else besides Nintendo?

Ya, he said he's covering RE6 and I think there was another game, maybe FarCry. I'd have to check my tweet history if that's possible. I know I asked him that exact question when he was at e3 and he actually responded back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom