• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I am a scaredycat, but it makes me kinda sad not to see Games like NfS, Tomb Raider, MoH Warfighter etc. not being released for WiiU.

Though some say there is still a NDA about such things. I hope it is. Besides AC3 and Darksiders 2 the "big" games even 360-Ps3 are getting, arent announced for WiiU. I really hope its because of some NDA.
I doubt them coming; however, those are the games that won't sell much anyway.

The problem with Wii wasn't that it didn't get all the 3rd party game, but that it didn't get the major ones or got them in a gimped down version.

If anything, one should be worried about Fifa Wii U version being 12.5

Berg

If people don't remember why the classic controller pro and the Wii U controllers don't have GC like triggers, here it is, they were sued and told to stop selling the original Classic Controller in Texas due to a "Patent Infringement" and weren't allowed to have the decision overturned, stopping them from selling the Classic Controller in the U.S.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aO_ucYxT3eNw

Here's a 2010 follow-up article to your 2008 article

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/13/nintendo-wins-appeal-in-anascape-suit/

Roo

Moar boxes!

ienSUSUeiZx3j.png
i0mckURzp6YDW.png
ibvMOqQ3VmyDuF.png

I find it funny/weird there's no Off TV Play, NFC or even a Nintendo Network logo on the Rayman cover since all of those options are supported.

Maybe they're waiting for Nintendo's final cover arts?

Stewox

Banned
My impressions of the WiiU, based on these Games I played:
AC3, Your Shape Fitness 2013, Ravin Rabbids, Rayman Legends, ZombiU.

First of the controller:

Smaller than I had imagined. Gaming seems comfortable with the button-layout. Games play well with it and just based on my feelings it weighs way less than my wired 360-Controller.
Display responds well to touch. Also really sharp, but, also based on my feelings, the PS Vita Screen is still "sharper".

My impressions of the tablet-implementation:

To me, just based on the Games I played today, it totally feels like a gimmick. Everyone said "You could use it as a menu, maybe have the second player play something on it or use it as an inventory." And in the Games I played, yeah... it was like that. Compared to the innovation that the WiiMote or to some extent even Kinect brought us, it just doesnt feel like the tablet is catering to me, as a Gamer. It may be nice to have some map down there or change the inventory on the fly, but to me it also felt strange.
When I play PC or use a pad, I know all these buttons and keys and I dont need to look at them.
When I used the tablet to see something on the map in ZombiU, like the location of Zombies, I first had to look down, see "Ah, there is a zombie 10m to my left", then look up again and see it is already biting me. It doesnt seem like a long time has passed from looking down, then looking back up but... maybe I am not used to it right now. It still feels strange to do that. I would rather have the map in the upper right corner right now, than looking at the tablet.

It was just my impression. Hope others have some different experiences.

Graphical capabilities:

Sorry to say that, but I was really looking forward to ZombiU and at least the Demo at the GC really looked BAD. Not from the textures and the effects, they were alright, but the aliasing was like hell. It really looked like an upscaled Wii-Game and I still dont know why. I wish i had taken a photo of it. ZombiU at least to me, didnt look "Next-Gen" just because the aliasing ruined everything...
Really sad after I played it, since I was really looking forward to it (and the gameplay was really fun too!!!!!)

The other Games also... look like 360/Ps3-Games, but not better. I am 100% sure you can easily port them 1to1 to a 360/Ps3. And even then they wouldnt be considered "graphically impressive".

Final impressions and my take on the view, just after coming back:

As I stated before. The Tablet isnt something "innovative". It just feels to gimmicky for me as a Gamer and even though I really dont like to classify groups of people I think Nintendo didnt think of the Gamers, when they made the pad, but on the "casuals". People like my little sister or my gf.

And because of that I am really sad to see that I guess this was really expensive for the development department and makes the WiiU expensive. Graphically the Games I played are just Ps3/360 Games and I can buy them at 150-250€ here in Germany. I wouldnt "need" a WiiU.
And that makes me kinda sad. When Sony and MS will announce their consoles maybe next year, for next christmas and offer better graphical capabilities, then what will the 3rd-Parties develop for the WiiU? They wanna do some downgraded ports?
I am kinda scared, that the WiiU then will face the same 3rd-party situation like the Wii. "Casual" Games for the WiiU, the "big blockbuster" games for MS and Sony.

WE will have our great Nintendo-Games, but what I am scared of is, that the WiiU will be a Nintendo-console without that many great third party titles....

:(

Did you expect ZombiU to be a nintendo-quality experience?

You are judging the system based on a mediocre game made by ubisoft. Launch titles are all ports or test games.

Have you people expected anything else ?

There has been precisely zero surprise. There is no game yet showing the potential of what was shown at E32011. The only ones surprised are those who haven't been following the feed.

Hoodbury

You are judging the system based on a mediocre game made by ubisoft.

Someone's not a fan of Ubi?

To be fair, it seems as if even Nintendo is using ZombiU as the flagship title for the Wii-U launch.

TheNatural

My Member!
Someone's not a fan of Ubi?

To be fair, it seems as if even Nintendo is using ZombiU as the flagship title for the Wii-U launch.

I think it's attention grabbing because it's exclusive and it seems to be working.

Seriously, if this were just a multiplatform game, would ANYONE be paying attention to it?

People need to put their money on the best games, not the best games that are only on one system IMO.

kodecraft

You are judging the system based on a mediocre game made by ubisoft. Launch titles are all ports or test games.

Have you people expected anything else ?

There has been precisely zero surprise. There is no game yet showing the potential of what was shown at E32011. The only ones surprised are those who haven't been following the feed.

He is also talking about having to "learn" to use both the tablet and main screen as both forms of visual communication, not just what the tablet is used for. I guess motion controls feels more natural then the 2 screen display.

Yeah. Thats what I said
"My impressions of the WiiU, based on these Games I played:
AC3, Your Shape Fitness 2013, Ravin Rabbids, Rayman Legends, ZombiU."

;)

The whole experience was just kinda underwhelming for me. I already knew before what the Tablet offfers for most of the Games I played. I just wanted to try it out myself and to me the tablet doesnt offer a totally new gameplayexperience and feels more gimmicky.

jmizzal

I just saw that Ghost Recon online comes out today on PC

They said they will finish on the WiiU version once the PC version was out

I guess it will be an early 2013 WiiU title, I wonder if it will be Free2play or just 10 dollar download.

I was gonna try it out on PC but it only uses mouse and key board no gamepad support and I cant play with mouse and key board.

D-e-f-

Banned
Yeah, all sounds very intricate. Is there anything like this on ps360 or does it sounds like something borne of the Miiverse!?!?!

Again, Dark Souls. That's where all this comes from. Also, Journey!

It says provisonal ;)

That refers to the PEGI rating.

If people don't remember why the classic controller pro and the Wii U controllers don't have GC like triggers, here it is, they were sued and told to stop selling the original Classic Controller in Texas due to a "Patent Infringement" and weren't allowed to have the decision overturned, stopping them from selling the Classic Controller in the U.S.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aO_ucYxT3eNw

what does that have to do with analog triggers specifically?

whoa hey. how can you say anything in regards to ZombiU being a mediocre game (presumably just because it's made by Ubisoft for launch)?.

He is also talking about having to "learn" to use both the tablet and main screen as both forms of visual communication, not just what the tablet is used for. I guess motion controls feels more natural then the 2 screen display.

Of course every Wii U player will need to learn how to look at the GamePad and back to the TV screen without getting totally lost. The standing-at-a-demo-station experience is definitely not helping with this. I don't think any judgment in this regard is fair because all play sessions have only lasted maybe 10-30 minutes for everybody who got their hands on it (press included) so "getting used to it" is definitely not in the cards for now. Of course it's awkward - because you've never done this before.

I think it's attention grabbing because it's exclusive and it seems to be working.

Seriously, if this were just a multiplatform game, would ANYONE be paying attention to it?

People need to put their money on the best games, not the best games that are only on one system IMO.

Their mentality probably isn't so much that ZombiU is necessarily the highest quality third party game there is (or even the best exclusive, because Rayman), but that it's the most likely to expand their brand in the ways that they want it to.

Not that it's going to work -- I'll be SHOCKED if ZombiU turns into anything resembling a hit. If there are any big non-launch exclusives to be announced, I hope Nintendo throws its weight behind them as much as it is for this game.

TheNatural

My Member!
Their mentality probably isn't so much that ZombiU is necessarily the highest quality third party game there is (or even the best exclusive, because Rayman), but that it's the most likely to expand their brand in the ways that they want it to.

Not that it's going to work -- I'll be SHOCKED if ZombiU turns into anything resembling a hit. If there are any big non-launch exclusives to be announced, I hope Nintendo throws its weight behind them as much as it is for this game.

I would guess they would take Red Steel level sales.

Rayman is a good call for support - 2D mascot platformer to be a good supplement to NSMB WiiU. I'm kind of surprised there isn't more connection with history when companies make these games though.

For example, Bond has traditionally always been big on Nintendo systems, Goldeneye remake did some pretty good sales soo ... if a company is setting out to make a FPS, why not make a spy off shoot?

Seems like companies really don't seem zoned in on what exclusives tend to do well on Nintendo systems, despite having, what - five generations of Nintendo systems to work with now?

I would guess they would take Red Steel level sales.

I'll be surprised if it even does that. Red Steel was an interesting-seeming take on a very popular genre, and (I think?) that genre's only representation on an insanely successful system with an exciting new control scheme. ZombiU has none of that, and also has to fight its parodically bad name.

Seems like companies really don't seem zoned in on what exclusives tend to do well on Nintendo systems, despite having, what - five generations of Nintendo systems to work with now?

Well right now "companies" just seems to be Ubisoft. :p I'd wait until we know more about the other third parties before complaining.

My impressions of the WiiU, based on these Games I played:
AC3, Your Shape Fitness 2013, Ravin Rabbids, Rayman Legends, ZombiU.

First of the controller:

Smaller than I had imagined. Gaming seems comfortable with the button-layout. Games play well with it and just based on my feelings it weighs way less than my wired 360-Controller.
Display responds well to touch. Also really sharp, but, also based on my feelings, the PS Vita Screen is still "sharper".

Nice to hear your impressions and reasoning. Hopefully over time the qualities of the console will become more apparent and you will enjoy them better. Graphics will also only get better with time.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'll be surprised if it even does that. Red Steel was an interesting-seeming take on a very popular genre, and (I think?) that genre's only representation on an insanely successful system with an exciting new control scheme. ZombiU has none of that, and also has to fight its parodically bad name.

Well right now "companies" just seems to be Ubisoft. :p I'd wait until we know more about the other third parties before complaining.

The burden on them is to prove they're not inept this time around. You know, how Take Two/Rockstar doesn't want to support systems because they decided to port Bully and make Manhunt games for the Gamecube and Wii - and then wonder why they don't sale. When it would have taken the same, or less, time and effort to put together a GTA Vice City + Stories collection upgrade to the system and probably quadtriple the sales of their other Wii games combined.

And Sega not bringing the Sonic Generations game to Wii. Capcom decided to port Okami to the Wii instead of say, doing an upgrade of REmake and Zero collection with better controls ALA RE4. Or naming a game "Zack and Wiki" and wondering why it can't sell, but not bringing a Street Fighter or MvC game to the system, instead an obscure anime vs. Capcom game.

You know, simple shit that anyone with half a brain would think would be an obvious addition to a library but then they go and decide to spend more money on something that obviously won't work and then bitch about it.

Can't wait for Rockstar to make Table Tennis 2 to Wii U and ignore a GTA V port, Capcom build a bottom up Bionic Commando vs. MotoGP tablet puzzle game and ignore Resident Evil 6, and Konami builds an adapted Metal Gear Rising engine game where you dice vegetables and cook them instead of bringing a Metal Gear game over.

Should be good times.

Djamb3

I guess it will be an early 2013 WiiU title, I wonder if it will be Free2play or just 10 dollar download.

I was gonna try it out on PC but it only uses mouse and key board no gamepad support and I cant play with mouse and key board.

I find this so weird as I can't, ever, play a fps with dual analog...

Btw any impressions of that Ubi wii sports? sounds like a game I'd like to have. And anyone knows if ZombieU will be playable with wii remote?

D-e-f-

Banned

ZombiU is also an interesting take on a very popular genre (genre: FPS/Zombie game; take: Dark Souls+DayZ/Roguelike formula with permadeath-feature) and so far the only survival horror/zombie game announced for the system. And while the control scheme is not new, the interface design (no pause while in inventory) and online integration (leave messages in game world for friends; friends who died appear in your game as enemies incl. their loot) is unique in this combination. So it's pretty much exactly the same situation.

And anyone knows if ZombieU will be playable with wii remote?

Definitely not. The bug-out-bag on the screen is essential to the design due to the no-pause thing, among other things. You can hope for multiplayer supporting Wiimote controls, though. But I only see a slight chance for that.

Btw any impressions of that Ubi wii sports? sounds like a game I'd like to have. And anyone knows if ZombieU will be playable with wii remote?

Not sure, but at GC you could either play it with the tablet or the new 360-wiiucontroller.

D-e-f-

Banned
Not sure, but at GC you could either play it with the tablet or the new 360-wiiucontroller.

Just guessing but I'm pretty sure that the Pro controller is only supported in multiplayer for the FPS mode while the GamePad player uses the touch screen to control the AI zombies.

Banned

I find this so weird as I can't, ever, play a fps with dual analog...

You're both newbs. The only way to play a shooter is with this

Or

Joking aside, I would say I prefer the wii remote plus and nunchuk for fps, then mouse and keyboard. Fuck dual analog.
Come at me Xbox boys :)

The_Lump

Banned
Maybe I am a scaredycat, but it makes me kinda sad not to see Games like NfS, Tomb Raider, MoH Warfighter etc. not being released for WiiU.

Though some say there is still a NDA about such things. I hope it is. Besides AC3 and Darksiders 2 the "big" games even 360-Ps3 are getting, arent announced for WiiU. I really hope its because of some NDA.

There'll be a few under NDA still, but it's also to do with it being a new console. Those "big" games coming for ps360 were probably well into planning/development when wiiu dev kits were being handed out, and its just not that easy to add another platform into a development cycle.

We'll see if the next batch of AAA multiplatform games (2013/14 release) make it to wiiu. If not, then might be the time to start worrying. But not right now ;)

ZombiU is also an interesting take on a very popular genre (genre: FPS/Zombie game; take: Dark Souls+DayZ/Roguelike formula with permadeath-feature) and so far the only survival horror/zombie game announced for the system. And while the control scheme is not new, the interface design (no pause while in inventory) and online integration (leave messages in game world for friends; friends who died appear in your game as enemies incl. their loot) is unique in this combination. So it's pretty much exactly the same situation.

Oh, I agree that it's interesting once you learn about it, but I think that the overall perception of it from the audience that Nintendo wants to capture will be that of a generic wannabe Left 4 Dead. The Conduit of survival horror.

jmizzal

You're both newbs. The only way to play a shooter is with this

Or

Joking aside, I would say I prefer the wii remote plus and nunchuk for fps, then mouse and keyboard. Fuck dual analog.
Come at me Xbox boys :)

Lol I rather Wiimote nunchuck, I never been a PC gamer, so I just cant use mouse and keyboard, I dont care for dual analog either but I can use it fine but I wont be as good in an online match like with Wiimote nunchuck.

The prob I have with Mouse and keyboard is the walking, crouching and all the keys, I have to keep looking at them and it takes away from the game, the aiming is fine tho.

Those latest ZombiU 1080p bullshots definitely show less impressive graphics work compared to some of the other stuff. Signs of rushing to meet launch in my opinion. Outside of the 1080p rendering (which is bullshit) there's little there that isn't easily accomplishable (and in some cases surpassed) on the 360/PS3.

Luckily the hands-on previews are sounding consistently great, further validating my desire to purchase this one.

Not the lighting and shadows EC, and not without a shedload of screen tearing - something that has always got right on my tits tbh. What's the point in a developer upping the eye candy quality when it turns to complete shite whenever you move the bloody camera..?!!?!?

You also have to remember that this is an early build of a new demo. You can tell this because some of the textures aren't great and there's jaggies all over the place, most noticeable when watching the stairs off-screen footage. Just have a look at the difference between the E3 demo and the Comic Con demo and trailers - we should see a similar but not quite as big difference between this demo and the RC. There was only a month difference between E3 and Comic Con as far as I remember and the difference was quite striking.

D-e-f-

Banned
Oh, I agree that it's interesting once you learn about it, but I think that the overall perception of it from the audience that Nintendo wants to capture will be that of a generic wannabe Left 4 Dead. The Conduit of survival horror.

okay, fair point. but if someone is looking to buy a Wii U and doesn't know about ZombiU anyway, I think they might just as well pick up that game like with Red Steel 1 with a thought like "oh hey, that's an FPS action game. it probably does some cool things with that fancy tablet apparatus!" (I expect that to be the exact wording of every single person, by the way) :p

Lol I rather Wiimote nunchuck, I never been a PC gamer, so I just cant use mouse and keyboard, I dont care for dual analog either but I can use it fine but I wont be as good in an online match like with Wiimote nunchuck.

The prob I have with Mouse and keyboard is the walking, crouching and all the keys, I have to keep looking at them and it takes away from the game, the aiming is fine tho.

You just gotta get used to where your fingers are. Ideally, they shouldn't even need to move except for your middle finger switching from W to S and the index finger occasionally hitting E or R to use something or reload. Thumb is always on spacebar which is always jump. Pinky is always on shift or CTRL, depending on which button is used. You can easily play without looking after you've done it for a little while. Play something easy with little extra functions. Something like Tribes Ascend or Team Fortress 2.

There was only a month difference between E3 and Comic Con as far as I remember and the difference was quite striking.

And the GC-Demo, even though its supposed to be a newer build, looks even worse than the footage I saw from the E3 and Comi-con Demo :(

Banned

It's called a pinky finger and the shift key ;)

I'm telling you right now, I would never touch red steel 2 or the conduit without a wii remote. Those games on dual analog would be tank like and boring.

Djamb3

But using wiimote in Zombie U is perfectly valid. Just keep the pad in your lap for the stuff needed there (keylocks, inventory and stuff like that). I can't have fun with dual analog, as I'm always trying to aim correctly and just can't (just one analog, re4 like, is perfectly fine though)

JordanN

Banned
And because of that I am really sad to see that I guess this was really expensive for the development department and makes the WiiU expensive. Graphically the Games I played are just Ps3/360 Games and I can buy them at 150-250€ here in Germany. I wouldnt "need" a WiiU.

Christ, I hate posts like these. First people complain Wii had no third party, now when Wii U gets it, an exorbitant excuse is made like you can't handle the reality of being wrong.

Edit:
What?

I just say that I would like to see ALL major 3rd Party-titles on the WiiU, not just AC3 and Darksiders 2.
Like NFS, Tomb Raider, MoH, CoD etc.
Ok, that makes more sense. Thought you were just putting down the games already available.

AJSousuke

Yeah. Thats what I said

;)

The whole experience was just kinda underwhelming for me. I already knew before what the Tablet offfers for most of the Games I played. I just wanted to try it out myself and to me the tablet doesnt offer a totally new gameplayexperience and feels more gimmicky.

you say "the tablet", but well, I think the problem isn't the tablet itself but the use gave to it.

what do you think?

Christ, I hate posts like these. First people complain Wii had no third party, now when Wii U gets it, an exorbitant excuse is made like you can't handle the reality of being wrong.

What?

I just say that I would like to see ALL major 3rd Party-titles on the WiiU, not just AC3 and Darksiders 2.
Like NFS, Tomb Raider, MoH, CoD etc.

you say "the tablet", but well, I think the problem isn't the tablet itself but the use gave to it.

what do you think?

Sure. I am totally with you on that one. But even then I still cant see what kind of new gameplayexperiences the WiiU-Pad could offer. When I was hyped for the WiiMote, like everyone on the internet wrote "Wow. They could make a lightsabre Game with the Wiimote!", "Finally FPS with a proper control scheme", "Airplane simulations could work really well with it.", "Pilotwings!!!".
But when I think about the Tablet, I really cant think of that much ideas that will enhance your gameplay that much.

I would love to see what N will do with it though. They always have some kind of "Benchmark"-Game like Wiisports and WSR, that showed some new ideas for better gameplay experiences.
What I have seen from Nintendoland though, doesnt offer this. At least to me.

ozfunghi

Sure. I am totally with you on that one. But even then I still cant see what kind of new gameplayexperiences the WiiU-Pad could offer. When I was hyped for the WiiMote, like everyone on the internet wrote "Wow. They could make a lightsabre Game with the Wiimote!", "Finally FPS with a proper control scheme", "Airplane simulations could work really well with it.", "Pilotwings!!!".
But when I think about the Tablet, I really cant think of that much ideas that will enhance your gameplay that much.

I would love to see what N will do with it though. They always have some kind of "Benchmark"-Game like Wiisports and WSR, that showed some new ideas for better gameplay experiences.
What I have seen from Nintendoland though, doesnt offer this. At least to me.

First of all, why does everything need to be "new" or "unique" or "innovative"? Is it possible to enhance gameplay or control schemes? It's a method of input, so of course. There have been countless topics with ideas how to improve upon existing concepts. Character customization, sports tactics, whatever. But to me, the real gamechanger, is the little button that lets you switch from your TV to the WiiU screen, when my girlfriend comes home after work and wants to watch tv, or when my daughter wants to see Sesame Street before going to bed. BAM, that's all it needs to do to warrant its existence.

First of all, why does everything need to be "new" or "unique" or "innovative"?

Because I will spend 300 bucks or so on a NEW gaming console and Nintendos selling point will be the tablet.
As I wrote before, the tablet-implementation in the games (not talking about any gamefaqs-like message board, webcamchat and things like that) I played today really seemed kinda messed up. Or at least I think some of the things would have been more comfortable with a pad than with the tablet itself.
Just to me I thought the WiiMote did a better thing at grasping my attention as a Gamer than the WiiU-Pad did today.

But to me, the real gamechanger, is the little button that lets you switch from your TV to the WiiU screen, when my girlfriend comes home after work and wants to watch tv, or when my daughter wants to see Sesame Street before going to bed. BAM, that's all it needs to do to warrant its existence.

Hey. Im not a dad yet ;)

I understand what you mean. I am just talking from my personal point of view. According to the experiences I had today with the pad, I really dont see any real reason to warrant the existence for me.
I guess to everyone the question is: "What is important to me? What would I like to have? What I think would fit me better".

As I said, its just based on the experience I had today. It can change.
But hey man, everyone has his own opinion. Its just what I think right now after testing it (purely as a controller). Just a bit frustrated, because maybe my expectations were set too high :)

AppleBlade

First of all, why does everything need to be "new" or "unique" or "innovative"? Is it possible to enhance gameplay or control schemes? It's a method of input, so of course. There have been countless topics with ideas how to improve upon existing concepts. Character customization, sports tactics, whatever. But to me, the real gamechanger, is the little button that lets you switch from your TV to the WiiU screen, when my girlfriend comes home after work and wants to watch tv, or when my daughter wants to see Sesame Street before going to bed. BAM, that's all it needs to do to warrant its existence.
That's a big deal to me to (I also have a wife & kid). It's the main reason why I started getting back into portable gaming and now with the WiiU I'll be able to play some of the bigger budget AAA games (Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Darksiders 2, etc.) in addition to all my Vita/3DS games in bed(or lounging on the coach) after my son is asleep and my wife is maybe watching a show or getting ready for the next work day.

Have we gotten any definitive resolution of the gamepad by pixel counting or something? It's supposed to be 480p but it looks pretty damn good in videos.

The Project Cars "Career Design Document" (May 2012) mentions "WiiU Accomplishments".

Is the name just a placeholder or was it ever confirmed?

untitledjxjiv.jpg

Source (only for registered members I think)

Pineconn

The Project Cars "Career Design Document" (May 2012) mentions "WiiU Accomplishments".

Is the name just a placeholder or was it ever confirmed?

untitledjxjiv.jpg

Source (only for registered members I think)

It's never been confirmed, but the StreetPass Mii Plaza on the 3DS has "accomplishments," so it makes sense the Wii U would use the same term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom