• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U developer console

TunaLover

I will leave this here...

IMAG0459.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

The owner claims he can't boot games on it.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-developer-console-wont-boot-retail-disc-pics-help.358882/

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Makes me wonder why we can't use our own WiiU consoles to develop games.

L~A

Reading the thread @ GBA Temp... did the guy really receive a dev kit by mistake, after buying a regular Wii U on the internet... really? :p

I wonder how successful another Net Yaroze type console would be (The Gorgeous Black PlayStation 1 that was a purchasable Devkit - wanted one so badly but too expensive) if it was a decent price and released today?

So any developers in the San Francisco recently been broken into? *re-reads post* Right, SEGA tester

I like how the back of the gamepad is green. I don't recall the dev Wii remotes being any different in that regard.

As for not being able to boot discs:
* Wii developer kits use a different encryption key for their discs so are incompatible, this probably continued to the Wii U. Most systems are the same in this regard (does anyone remember teal playsations that magazine reviewers played review copies on?)

But can they still use the eShop...plus it has country ID so this may be able to connect to any eShop i.e. is region free.

wsippel

Banned
Right my bad, green wii is indeed the debug unit.
And this thing right here is a debug unit as well as far as I can tell. The Wii U kits I've seen have metal cases as well, and this green Wii U has no ports to hook it up to a PC.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wonder how successful another Net Yaroze type console would be (The Gorgeous Black PlayStation 1 that was a purchasable Devkit - wanted one so badly but too expensive) if it was a decent price and released today?

Every Xbox One will potentially be a dev kit at some point when MS rolls out their program. There is no reason why the WiiU couldn't be the same.

I'm curious about the second DRC port. I'm wondering if any devs are testing any games with two gamepads.

edit: I remember IdeaMan mentioning DRC means Display RemoteController???

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Nice to see a DRC1 and DRC2 port. Not that that guarantees we'll ever have dual gamepad support, but still nice to see.

Not sure why wired BT would need the bandwidth of a coaxial cable, but maybe it was just used for simplicity...

DRC1 and DRC2 seems to be ports to connect Gamepads via wire, it even have a switch to leave the Gamepad in wired/wireless mode.
No idea idea what "BT" would mean.
Bluetooth?

edit: what are the long grey things on each side of the controller?

sörine

Banned
Nintendo's standards for developer application are pretty low and a devkit is around $2500. Hobbyists can already get on board if they wanted to really though the price/hoops might still be too high for some to want to.

wsippel

Banned
Every Xbox One will potentially be a dev kit at some point when MS rolls out their program. There is no reason why the WiiU couldn't be the same.
There is: Wii U devkits contain additional hardware. A daughter board with a dual core ARM CPU to interface with a development workstation. Though you probably wouldn't need a real devkit if you want to develop using Web Framework. In fact, you can develop and debug Web Framework applications on a regular Wii U using the web browser, at least to some extent. It supports remote debugging as well: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/built-in-software/browser-specs/extended-functionality/

DRC1 and DRC2 seems to be ports to connect Gamepads via wire, it even have a switch to leave the Gamepad in wired/wireless mode.
No idea idea what "BT" would mean.
Bluetooth, for wired Wiimotes.

GulAtiCa

Lol, who ever took that picture will be in huge trouble with Nintendo for breaking the NDA.

Edit: ah he bought it. Guess he can keep it as a nice collector item, cause won't be useful without the correct PC software to develop for it.

cyberheater

There is: Wii U devkits contain additional hardware. A daughter board with a dual core ARM CPU to interface with a development workstation. Though you probably wouldn't need a real devkit if you want to develop using Web Framework. In fact, you can develop and debug Web Framework applications on a regular Wii U using the web browser, at least to some extent. It supports remote debugging as well: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/built-in-software/browser-specs/extended-functionality/

Bluetooth, for wired Wiimotes.

Thanks for the information.

Oh so they definitely can cast plastic in colors other than WHITE and BLACK.
Nintendo pls. I'm still upset we didn't get all kinds of colors of Wiis.

GulAtiCa

Well, as someone who has a dev kit and is making a game with NWF, trust me. You really couldn't get very far without one. Especially if you wanted to use more of it's features. You could maybe get a general idea with just testing in Wii U web, but you couldn't get very far.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Do we still have no idea what the little part directly below the Home button on the bottom of the GamePad is/does? That's always puzzled me.

mclem

I'm curious how they intend to deal with the RAM issue, there. Proper devkits generally have extra RAM for debug information, which simply isn't going to be available on a commercial unit. Is the expectation that you can only use a subset of the available RAM for games with a certain quantity earmarked for debugging?

bumpkin

If the guy who posted that (not the OP, the source of the pics) is/was someone in the Wii U Developer program, I guess it's only a matter of time before Nintendo locks it down. Yay for assholes who thumb their noses at the NDAs and don't respect the contracts.

I'm curious how they intend to deal with the RAM issue, there. Proper devkits generally have extra RAM for debug information, which simply isn't going to be available on a commercial unit. Is the expectation that you can only use a subset of the available RAM for games with a certain quantity earmarked for debugging?

I'm guessing they'll probably disable some OS features and use the RAM allocated for those for the "dev kit". This probably also supports why the consoles are bricking when you go into the dev mode, if core OS features are disabled and you don't properly know how to reenable them

plank

If Nintendo allowed all normal Wii U consoles to become developer kits there would be too much Supra Mayro Kratt going around.

Somnid

Well, as someone who has a dev kit and is making a game with NWF, trust me. You really couldn't get very far without one. Especially if you wanted to use more of it's features. You could maybe get a general idea with just testing in Wii U web, but you couldn't get very far.

Is there non-secretive documentation for the web framework APIs? I bet people could get some shims going.

isn't the use an x bone as a dev kit feature only for apps that run in the OS portion anyway so they'll be severely ram limited anyway?

GulAtiCa

If anyone would like to actually develop games for Wii U, all you have to do is apply. They give out loaner kits to everyone. They are very friendly.

Is there non-secretive documentation for the web framework APIs?
Not really. The API is more of function calls/features. 90% of programming is just done with normal html5 and javascript/canvas. Though you still need a dev kit to actually test and learn the limits and strengths of the system.

If anyone would like to actually develop games for Wii U, all you have to do is apply. They give out loaner kits to everyone. They are very friendly.

Not really. The API is more of function calls/features. 90% of programming is just done with normal html5 and javascript/canvas. Though you still need a dev kit to actually test and learn the limits and strengths of the system.

Here's my question, why has no one showcased dev kits on YouTube? I guess they're 100% confidential and the inner works can't be shown?

And how do dev kits work? Do devs have to buy a new one each time they make a game? (disarm the damn thing before it explodes, saves ya money!).

GulAtiCa

Here's my question, why has no one showcased dev kits on YouTube? I guess they're 100% confidential and the inner works can't be shown?

And how do dev kits work? Do devs have to buy a new one each time they make a game? (disarm the damn thing before it explodes, saves ya money!).

Showing the dev kit in any fashion is against the NDA. So that is why no one has been dumb enough (excluding the idiot who sold this dev kit) to break it.

Top Bottom