• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U eBay resale / sellout / availability discussion

Alcibiades

I'll take Super Monkey Ball over the entire Wii U launch lineup any day of the week

I personally don't have a problem with that line of thinking, SMB was my one and only launch game when I picked up a GCN at Best Buy on launch day.

BUT, practically speaking, the availability of NSMB U alone is much better for Nintendo in terms of helping make the Wii U case to the general consumer. And the availability of Black Ops 2, Assassin's Creed 3, and Zombie U are much more valuable than any Super Monkey Ball game can ever hope to be.

Don't get me wrong, Super Monkey Ball was superb game design and execution and one of my favorite GCN games, but mainstream videogame market is something else altogether.

Went to a Target. Had 2 basics and 3 deluxes. Five minutes later, saw someone buying a Deluxe and games. Other places I've been to have had limited stock.

Wii U obviously not selling out, but I think it'll put up respectable numbers for December.

farnham

Banned
I personally don't have a problem with that line of thinking, SMB was my one and only launch game when I picked up a GCN at Best Buy on launch day.

BUT, practically speaking, the availability of NSMB U alone is much better for Nintendo in terms of helping make the Wii U case to the general consumer. And the availability of Black Ops 2, Assassin's Creed 3, and Zombie U are much more valuable than any Super Monkey Ball game can ever hope to be.

Don't get me wrong, Super Monkey Ball was superb game design and execution and one of my favorite GCN games, but mainstream videogame market is something else altogether.

monkeyball did pretty well saleswise for wii i think at launch

but yeah obviously nsmbu is going to slaughter it.

farnham

Banned
Went to a Target. Had 2 basics and 3 deluxes. Five minutes later, saw someone buying a Deluxe and games. Other places I've been to have had limited stock.

Wii U obviously not selling out, but I think it'll put up respectable numbers for December.

i saw a lot of basics yesterday (about 10) at the bestbuy at the 5th avenue in nyc. no deluxe

nintendo world store had about 5 deluxes

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I've been seeing the Deluxe version out some places, but certainly not tough to find and stores seem to get restocked timely. The basic Bundle seems a hard sale though.

My best buy was sold out of the Deluxe (Had a stack of basics, at least 10), so I asked when they would get more in and they said "not in the next 2 weeks, I'd check back in 3 to 4 weeks"

I'm guessing they can see trucks and shipments up to 2 weeks in advance, like a couple of my other retail jobs.

Is that normal for consoles to not be restocked for another 2-3 weeks after Christmas?

hatchx

Banned
Nsmbu is by far the best in the subseries imho

While I definitely agree, it's still not an exciting release really. It's the second game in the franchise to hit this year, and it basically uses the exact same music. The graphics are bumped up to HD, but it's painfully obvious they didn't go the extra mile in the presentation.

For all the new stuff the Wii U offers, miiverse support and gamepad extras can hardly get me excited. Atleast Luigi's Mansion had new gameplay mechanics and debatably the best cartoon graphics/animation ever for the time.

jcm

My best buy was sold out of the Deluxe (Had a stack of basics, at least 10), so I asked when they would get more in and they said "not in the next 2 weeks, I'd check back in 3 to 4 weeks"

I'm guessing they can see trucks and shipments up to 2 weeks in advance, like a couple of my other retail jobs.

Is that normal for consoles to not be restocked for another 2-3 weeks after Christmas?

Two to three weeks is the transit time from china to the us. It could be that they air freighted the December units to get them here in time for Christmas, which would create a dry period right after Christmas whilst waiting for the sea freight units to resume arriving.

Alcibiades

monkeyball did pretty well saleswise for wii i think at launch

but yeah obviously nsmbu is going to slaughter it.

Yeah it did well due to some positive press and the limited launch software, and thanks to word of mouth went on to sell relatively well. It definitely appeals more to the "hardcore" that follows Nintendo and gaming than the general public. I think Sonic Racing and Black Ops 2 have greater appeal to mainstream audiences even if they fail to live up to Super Monkey Ball sales (though I think they'll eventually sell alright).

farnham

Banned
While I definitely agree, it's still not an exciting release really. It's the second game in the franchise to hit this year, and it basically uses the exact same music. The graphics are bumped up to HD, but it's painfully obvious they didn't go the extra mile in the presentation.

For all the new stuff the Wii U offers, miiverse support and gamepad extras can hardly get me excited. Atleast Luigi's Mansion had new gameplay mechanics and debatably the best cartoon graphics/animation ever for the time.

Off tv play and miiverse are great for me but to each his own...

I do think the timing was aweful though..

If that was their first assumption why would they ask if it's compatible?
That's the impression I got from being incredibly rude and eavesdropping on them.

The pair were looking at the Vita and then started looking at the Wii U display next to it. The shop assistant came back answering some sort of price query about the Vita and the woman asked something along the lines of "Now to throw a spanner in the works, we already have a Wii, will this [Wii U] work with our Wii."

They appeared to think it was either a peripheral or a standalone handheld device akin to the Vita.

mr stroke

Stack of Wii U's at Frys today. Surprised to see any of these the weekend before Christmas

RtLd9l.jpg

FroJay

Banned
Did a little bit of last minute Christmas shopping at Kmart this evening and came across 4 WiiU basic sets and 2 deluxe behind the glass in the video games section. I was surprised that there were units available 2 days before Christmas waiting to be purchased. I'll probably grab ZombieU for myself tomorrow or the 26th. It will be interesting to see what the sales numbers are for December considering the stock that seems to be everywhere, and basics are selling for less than retail from sellers on Amazon.

Anth0ny

I think youmight want to go back and check that.
What were the exclusives for the Gamecube launch?

Luigi's Mansion
Rogue Squadron II
Super Monkey Ball
Wave Race

VS. Wii U:

New Super Mario Bros U
ZombiU
Nintendo Land
NanoAssault Neo

And a ton of lesser stuff:

Rabbids Land
Tank! Tank! Tank!
ESPN whatever party
That other who cares party game
Chasing Aurora

And then, there are games like Tekken or Ninja Gaiden 3 which have significant enhancements making them pretty much the definitive version, as well as others like Mass Effect, Trine 2 or Batman which saw platform specific changes.

Luigi was fun for a couple of hours but I'll take the U launch all day every day based just on Mario & ZombiU alone, let alone how much better the 3rd party stuff is compared to the forgettable stuff at the GCN launch. It pretty much obliterates that launch imo.

I would take that Gamecube list any day of the week. Especially considering Melee was only a couple of weeks away.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I ended up with two extra Deluxe bundles -- and no, I didn't plan that. I preordered at more than one location due to a certain Gamestop being notoriously flakey and having a friend who wanted a system. Due to generous supplies, my friend in Oregon got one without having to pay sales tax... so I was left with my system, a spare system, and a Wal-Mart preorder that would cost me $5 if I didn't pick it up.

I haven't got around to returning the two extra systems yet...

saw 6 basic units and 3(1 being sold) deluxe units at a target today at 2 pm, saw a person buying a deluxe as i was there so im interested to see the sales figure for the holiday season.

there was no 3DS, 3DS xl, dsi, dsi xl, or wiis in stock though, the whole case was empty.
also the 3-5 PS3's they usually have were gone and the 3-6 xbox 360's were gone as well, wonder why they dont have at least 10 + for each system.

I ended up with two extra Deluxe bundles -- and no, I didn't plan that. I preordered at more than one location due to a certain Gamestop being notoriously flakey and having a friend who wanted a system. Due to generous supplies, my friend in Oregon got one without having to pay sales tax... so I was left with my system, a spare system, and a Wal-Mart preorder that would cost me $5 if I didn't pick it up.

I haven't got around to returning the two extra systems yet...

usually you only have a month to return stuff but when i returned my extra wii u(also pre ordered an extra cause i was afraid of getting shifted and seeing mine being sold by gamestop) the guy said that you have until January to return it since its the holiday season

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I went to half a dozen stores today trying to find an item for my niece and all were well stocked with Wii U and ps3. 360s seemed scarce.

My fave pic was this, just because of the uDraw placement and how similar it looks to the Gamepad.

farnham

Banned
So any retail person can shed a light on the situation? Did wiiu sell well or did it tank? How did it fare against the other systems?

big_z

So any retail person can shed a light on the situation? Did wiiu sell well or did it tank? How did it fare against the other systems?

word is from someone at bestbuy is the original wii out paced the wiiu by a bit. No stock shortages for wiiu either.

RoadDogg

Just came back from Walmart to score some cheap candy and strolled by the video games just to check this out for everyone. They only had 1 lone white Wii U, but to be fair to the situation the entire store was pretty picked clean. The toy section was in shambles and there were only a couple systems for the other consoles too. The store has very low stock of video games to begin with so I'm not all that surprised, but I expected to see at least 1 black unit.

Looking delete everything off my Wii u to sell it. I just choose to format/delete everything (the last option in settings) and you're done?

Don't need to do anything else?

Looking delete everything off my Wii u to sell it. I just choose to format/delete everything (the last option in settings) and you're done?

Don't need to do anything else?

pretty much, but don't forget to deactivate your account by deleting your id/ user info.

Description:

Step by step instructions on deactivating a Nintendo Network Account.

Important Note!

Deactivating a Nintendo Network Account will also delete the following information associated to the account: Nintendo eShop activity and balance, Friend List, Miiverse activity, and registered e-mail address.

Deactivated accounts cannot be restored.

The username associated to a deactivated Nintendo Network Account cannot be reused to create a new Nintendo Network Account.

What to do:

On the Wii U Menu, access the User Settings for the Mii you want to delete.
(How To)

Tap "Delete User."

If prompted, enter the four-digit PIN and select "OK."

Select "Next" to agree to delete the save data associated with the user.

Select "Delete ID."

Deleted Nintendo Network Accounts cannot be recovered.

Enter the password for the Nintendo Network Account.

Select "Delete" to confirm deletion of the user and associated Nintendo Network Account.

If you do not want to delete the account, tap "Cancel" to return to the user-selection screen.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/account_your_account.jsp

Top Bottom