• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U error: An error occurred while reading the disc, but not using discs

I haven't had a disc in my Wii U since probably launch. All of a sudden, after I try to go into a game or into the Wii U menu, I get a black screen with:

An error occurred while reading the disc.

For help, make a note of the error code and visit support.nintendo.com.

Error Code: 160-1400

BZqrDk8.jpg

I called up Nintendo support, and all the told me to do was unplug the power from the wall and the Wii U for 1 minute and try again. Then they told me that since I bought it at launch, I'd have to pay to repair it. Fuck. That.

Has anyone else experienced this?

HUELEN10

Well, it is out of warranty.

Try this: boot up directly in Wii mode by holding down the button on the GamePad. Then, kick into U.

El Sabroso

is your game on an external HDD or in the system's memory? same happens on X360 when a game has corrupted data, disc error gets in, so it is corrupted data from the game, I would redownload the game

Well, it is out of warranty.

Try this: boot up directly in Wii mode by holding down the button on the GamePad. Then, kick into U.

Good call. Will try.

I know it's out of warranty, but all my games are digital download, and my Wii U never moves. No way in hell I'm paying to repair it. I'll stand my ground against the Big N. *sigh*

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I've had that error only once. A disc was in but I wasn't trying to play. I ignored the error. Haven't seen it since.

Toxi

Banned
is your game on an external HDD or in the system's memory? same happens on X360 when a game has corrupted data, disc error gets in, so it is corrupted data from the game, I would redownload the game
How do you redownload without accessing the menu?
There is your problem right there. Always buy physical media, that way, if you get a disc error, it will actually mean something ;)
Well, more like always buy physical media for a Nintendo system. It's not like I lose all my Steam games if I pour coke on my computer.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Good call. Will try.

I know it's out of warranty, but all my games are digital download,

There is your problem right there. Always buy physical media, that way, if you get a disc error, it will actually mean something ;)

Also, if you get pissed at the big N, you can actually resell the games and stick it to the man. As things stand, you're kinda screwed:

Your Nintendo Network ID, and eShop content such as any downloaded digital video games, remaining Funds in your eShop account and game saved data are locked to the original Wii U console and cannot be transferred over to another console.

So really the only option is to have Nintendo repair your Wii U console, sorry.

Top Bottom