• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2015

AniHawk

well i have some impressions of rodea the sky soldier. i don't know if an ot is going up or if i should just post them here.

TheMoon

well i have some impressions of rodea the sky soldier. i don't know if an ot is going up or if i should just post them here.

->

sorry for slacking off on the import OT, btw.

the Nintendo Direct threw a big wrench in my ability to focus on that :D

seems like there isn't much demand right now anyway?

edit: here's 11 minutes of retail copy Wii footage! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYVPeJtq88g

I'll have one up tomorrow or Monday at the very latest!

Simbabbad

But you do know that you don't press L for every shot, right? You hold down L and Pit shoots continuously.
I didn't know that! I had trouble with my Nintendo DS shoulder buttons and now I'm a bit paranoid. But now that I have a new 3DS with the more stable 3D, the game is getting even more attractive. Thanks for the info.

TheMoon

I haven't seen one. Wouldn't be a bad idea to spread the word a bit. By the sounds of it, this will be a game that all Wii U owners will want to check out.

I'll make one once more reviews come in. I assume that will be tomorrow. Already got the current ones formatted and prepared in a text doc.

edit: guess I wasted my time lol

By the way, for anyone who is interested, Affordable Space Adventures is getting great reviews so far:

BitParade: 8/10

Hobby Consolas: 9/10

Destructoid: 9/10
I'm more surprised that Hobby Consolas still exists than Affordable Space Adventures getting really good reviews, the concept is excellent, but it's probably not for everyone.

I wonder if anyone will make a -somewhat- realistic Flight simulator for Wii U, it could work really well.

squadr0n

I didnt know where else to put this and I didnt want to make a new thread.

So I just bought Xenoblade Chronicles to play on my Wii U, never got a chance to since I never bought a Wii. I get home to play it and I cant boot it because I dont have a Wiimote?! WTF? Is there seriously no way to open up the Wii menu with the Wii U pro controller or gamepad, or even play the game without buying a wiimote and classic controller?

MrNineties

So I just bought Xenoblade Chronicles to play on my Wii U, never got a chance to since I never bought a Wii. I get home to play it and I cant boot it because I dont have a Wiimote?! WTF? Is there seriously no way to open up the Wii menu with the Wii U pro controller or gamepad, or even play the game without buying a wiimote and classic controller?

You access it through the Wii Menu, so yes I believe it does require the Wii Remote with either a Nunchuk or a Classic Controller attached.

Buy one here, for cheap:
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...alse&productId=prod150198&categoryId=cat10008

Shauni

Wii mode pretty much, almost literally, turns your Wii U into a HD Wii, so yes, you're going to need a Wiimote. And, I hate to be the bearer of more bad news for you, but even it was possible to do so, you still need a Wiimote to play Xenoblade. You can use a classic controller, but it'll still need to be plugged into a Wiimote.

You definitely need a Wiimote to play it on Wii U, unfortunately. It would sure be great if you could just pop it in and start playing with the GamePad.

Effect

Have we heard anything regarding Pandora's Tower being released on the Wii U in North America? Don't want to buy a used copy if it's actually going to be released. It's the only "operation rainfall" game I don't have.

Have we heard anything regarding Pandora's Tower being released on the Wii U in North America? Don't want to buy a used copy if it's actually going to be released. It's the only "operation rainfall" game I don't have.

Nothing's been announced for North America yet, strangely enough. Maybe they'll say something specific at E3.

Gnilres

Nothing's been announced for North America yet, strangely enough. Maybe they'll say something specific at E3.

I'm not sure it'll come to the US. Pandora's Tower wasn't published by Nintendo here iirc. I'm pretty sure it was in EU though. Of course I may be wrong.

EDIT: Yup. Looks like only Xenoblade was published by Nintendo in the States. Both The Last Story and Pandora's Tower were by XSeed, though I don't know if that has relevance in regard to it releasing on Wii U

Has anyone played Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag on Wii U? They're both pretty cheap and I like me some open-world gaming every now and then. I'm just wondering how they run and if they're worth $20 a piece.

I'm not sure it'll come to the US. Pandora's Tower wasn't published by Nintendo here iirc. I'm pretty sure it was in EU though. Of course I may be wrong.

It'd be a shame if it didn't make its way over to North America. The Wii U could use some more games like that.

Yagami_Sama

Assassin's Creed IV is okay, I played it a few months ago and no major complaints about the game. The "main issue" is the lack of DLC.

At least I like it more than Assassin's Creed III

Watch Dogs is the kind of game that I am no interested, so I just saw one or two gameplay videos.

Effect

Black Flag is okay if you ignore the story (don't go into it expecting much) which I feel is bad in how it's told and how characters are handled. That was my biggest issue . It's fun to run around the game world though and explore and collect different things. The sailing is fun as well. For $20 and you like open world games it's not a bad buy. Story wise though Assassin's Creed 3 is a far better game I feel.

I haven't touched Watch Dogs on the Wii U or any version.

Assassin's Creed IV is okay, I played it a few months ago and no major complaints about the game. The "main issue" is the lack of DLC.

At least I like it more than Assassin's Creed III

Watch Dogs is the kind of game that I am no interested, so I just saw one or two gameplay videos.

Black Flag is okay if you ignore the story (don't go into it expecting much) which I feel is bad in how it's told and how characters are handled. That was my biggest issue . It's fun to run around the game world though and explore and collect different things. The sailing is fun as well. For $20 and you like open world games it's not a bad buy. Story wise though Assassin's Creed 3 is a far better game I feel.

I haven't touched Watch Dogs on the Wii U or any version.

Sounds like Black Flag is a decent purchase for $20 then. I don't have high expectations at all, I just sometimes enjoy screwing around in a big open-world game. Assassin's Creed 3 is even a bit cheaper at $15, but I feel it's gotta be one or the other, and Black Flag looks to be a bit more fun to play around in. Thanks for the information!

Still nothing on Watch Dogs, though. Anyone? Haha

TheMoon

Has anyone played Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag on Wii U? They're both pretty cheap and I like me some open-world gaming every now and then. I'm just wondering how they run and if they're worth $20 a piece.

If you can get them for a good price, go for it. Don't listen to hyberbole-spewers or digital foundry fanatics. Both are perfectly playable and $20 sounds okay.

jmizzal

I tried to like Assassin Creed games but they just bore me, but I liked Watch Dogs its a fun open world game on WiiU, and well worth it as a 3rd party buy for $20

jholmes

I had never played an Assassin's Creed game before IV but I had fun with it. It takes a while to get to the ship stuff and the story falls a bit flat but you should get $20 worth of fun from it. Not sure if online is still especially active as I only played single player.

If you can get them for a good price, go for it. Don't listen to hyberbole-spewers or digital foundry fanatics. Both are perfectly playable and $20 sounds okay.

I tried to like Assassin Creed games but they just bore me, but I liked Watch Dogs its a fun open world game on WiiU, and well worth it as a 3rd party buy for $20

I had never played an Assassin's Creed game before IV but I had fun with it. It takes a while to get to the ship stuff and the story falls a bit flat but you should get $20 worth of fun from it. Not sure if online is still especially active as I only played single player.

Awesome! These comments make me very happy. I'm not looking to be blown away by these games, but I figured I could get $20 worth of fun out of them. I just wanted to see what GAF had to say. Thanks so much for the opinions everyone. I'm going to buy them right now.

Cheers and thanks for the help!

jariw

Which will confuse anyone who hasn't looked deeper into this since many think "upscaled" means "re-rendered at a higher resolution" (like when using Dolphin on a PC).

Exactly this. Running Mario Galaxy in Wii mode on the Wii U results in more jaggies (=identical to the Wii) than running the Wii U VC version of Super Mario 64, since SM64 on VC is actually rendered in HD.

TheMoon

Wasn't a magazine over In Japan supposed to reveal a big new exclusive game soon? Has that happened yet that I missed?

No, they weren't going to reveal a new game, they were going to COVER a new game that hadn't been revealed YET. That was Famitsu DS/Wii from two weeks ago. New issue comes out last week of the month.

Just wondering what the general opinion of Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge for Wii U is? I haven't heard much about it and it's very cheap to buy.

Yagami_Sama

I enjoyed the game.

Is not something spectacular, but it can provide a few hours of fun and frustration. And player with Momiji was quite fun.

I just can't stand the multiplayer.

Josh5890

It'd be a shame if it didn't make its way over to North America. The Wii U could use some more games like that.

I was worn out with AC games after 3 (I hate myself for hyping that game). I received Black Flag as a gift. From the beginning I loved the setting. The story was ok but I enjoyed it. It's my second favorite AC game after 2 (of course)

I enjoyed the game.

Is not something spectacular, but it can provide a few hours of fun and frustration. And player with Momiji was quite fun.

I just can't stand the multiplayer.

Good to know. Thanks a lot for the information. I've never played any of the new games in the series, but I've always been curious, and since it can be picked up for around $10, I thought it may be worth a go. Thanks again!

I was worn out with AC games after 3 (I hate myself for hyping that game). I received Black Flag as a gift. From the beginning I loved the setting. The story was ok but I enjoyed it. It's my second favorite AC game after 2 (of course)

Wow, really? AC2 was pretty awesome, so if I could play another AC game even close to that, I'd feel it was well worth the $20. I'll look forward to playing it when it arrives.

Exactly this. Running Mario Galaxy in Wii mode on the Wii U results in more jaggies (=identical to the Wii) than running the Wii U VC version of Super Mario 64, since SM64 on VC is actually rendered in HD.
I'm pretty sure that Mario 64 runs at 480p as well. It is HD when you compare it to its original resolution, I guess.

kizmah

Do yourselves a favor and get Affordable Space Adventures. It's an amazing little puzzler that feels fresh thanks to the innovative use of the gamepad. It's one of the best examples of how to use Nintendo's new controller to actually develop new gameplay ideas and mechanics while adding to the immersion. The challenge is perfect and it's atmosphere and overall presentation are absolutely wonderful.

Do yourselves a favor and get Affordable Space Adventures. It's an amazing little puzzler that feels fresh thanks to the innovative use of the gamepad. It's one of the best examples of how to use Nintendo's new controller to actually develop new gameplay ideas and mechanics while adding to the immersion. The challenge is perfect and it's atmosphere and overall presentation are absolutely wonderful.

I've read a lot of good things about Affordable Space Adventures. Can't wait to finally give it a shot.

Top Bottom