• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Loadline is triggering a Malware alert in Windows Defender everytime I download it.

False positive? Or is the current download bugged/compromised?

Same here. This is happening on the only PC that has an SD card slot, I'll have to buy a card reader to try on other PC's tomorrow. ffs

-shadow-

So does ddd also need to be in the rood of the SD card or located somewhere else? I'm just making sure now how to set everything up. I don't have a SD card yet, so I'll need to get that first before I can actually try it out. Just want to be ready to go once I've bought a new one. I'm planning on ripping Maiden of Black Water.

TunaLover

I wonder if someone has a 100% completed save file for Bayonetta 2, I would upload some files if someone need them.

We actually could start a save sharing thread, not sure if there are more Wii U homebrew threads...

So finally getting around to buying an SD Card and just saw this on Nintendo's website,

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1263/~/what-sd-cards-are-compatible?

So according to this, the maximum SD Card size supported by the Wii U is 32GB, and it only supports SDHC, doesn't support SDXC or UHS for faster speeds.
Is that the case? Nothing bigger than 32GB? Might need a couple at that capacity.

Can't say too much about the WiiU side of things. However the 3ds SD limit is also 32GB but you can use higher cards by copying partitions on a smaller card, transferring it to a larger card, and expanding the partition.

Don't know what sites I can link to but search for "3ds 64gb sd card" and you should find some guides on how to handle the general process.

So finally getting around to buying an SD Card and just saw this on Nintendo's website,

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1263/~/what-sd-cards-are-compatible?

So according to this, the maximum SD Card size supported by the Wii U is 32GB, and it only supports SDHC, doesn't support SDXC or UHS for faster speeds.
Is that the case? Nothing bigger than 32GB? Might need a couple at that capacity.
Well shit. I have a 64GB SDXC.So I'm double-screwed.

Meesh

So I'm using Windows 10, title dumper doesn't seem to load on PC. Can't get anything working WiiU side... Am I screwed?

Rich!

I don't have a regular SD card. I have an SDXC, which I never even knew was a thing. That Nintendo site says they aren't supported :(

Oooh. I get what you're saying. Gotcha. I'll give it a try. Thank you.

Meesh

Titledumper works fine with Windows 10. I've dumped all of my games so far with it.
Maaaaaaannn.... I'm doing something wrong. Got space on my sd card, got the appropriate files there...but I'm missing something...using my IP add....

ZombAid82

Does anybody know what FSGetSource Failed mean, Rich! maybe?
Asked several sites before, but didn't find anything...
One user had the same problem for a short time, but idk...

Robin64

Does anybody know what FSGetSource Failed mean, Rich! maybe?
Asked several sites before, but didn't find anything...
One user had the same problem for a short time, but idk...

It usually means your SD card is a bit wonky.

Some people fixed it by formatting and starting fresh.

ZombAid82

It usually means your SD card is a bit wonky.

Some people fixed it by formatting and starting fresh.

I think I have to buy a new one, and start from scratch.
Tried 2 different SD-Card, one micro the other normal, formatted both a gazillion times but always the same problem.
Do I have to do something on the WiiU too?
Like empty the cache or cookies?
Would love some help :)

Lkr

is there an easy way to return to the loadiine menu? if i go to wii u home menu, open web browser, and go to loadiine.ovh and wait for it to load homebrew channel, it will crash my system and i have to do a hard reset.

Rich!

is there an easy way to return to the loadiine menu? if i go to wii u home menu, open web browser, and go to loadiine.ovh and wait for it to load homebrew channel, it will crash my system and i have to do a hard reset.

It's been said plenty before but

Mii Maker.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
No progress on a more "permanent" solution? When the next update hits (probably very soon), deciding between homebrew and Smash/Splatoon/Mario Maker online will be heartbreaking.

Qwark

No progress on a more "permanent" solution? When the next update hits (probably very soon), deciding between homebrew and Smash/Splatoon/Mario Maker online will be heartbreaking.

I'm honestly surprised it's taking Nintendo this long to release an update. It's been, what, a week and a half already?

cacildo

Its probably a stupid question, but i really dont understand how we can run homebrew channel, yet you cant run something to install homebrew channel on the menu

(Im really waiting for a more stable HBC so we can finally get the emulators)

Is it still safe to remove the Nintendo-blocking DNS (temporarily)? Want to buy Super Meat Boy and download the Smash Brothers update.

Boney

Banned
How long does it usually take for Retroarch to be competently ported to different systems? I'm dying to get emulators for the Gamepad.

Rich!

Its probably a stupid question, but i really dont understand how we can run homebrew channel, yet you cant run something to install homebrew channel on the menu

(Im really waiting for a more stable HBC so we can finally get the emulators)

Because right now you are not running any homebrew via the Wii U system menu. That is not what the exploit enables.

You are running the homebrew channel within Mii Maker. Mii Maker has permissions as a game would do...so that's what youre limited to!

The system menu/iosu is a further, deeper level that has its own security. This is just the first step towards exploiting that.

cacildo

Because right now you are not running any homebrew via the Wii U system menu. That is not what the exploit enables.

You are running the homebrew channel within Mii Maker. Mii Maker has permissions as a game would do...so that's what youre limited to!

The system menu/iosu is a further, deeper level that has its own security. This is just the first step towards exploiting that.

Ok, but this mii maker/HBC allow you to run homebrew programs... like loadiine

Why cant we run a program that install HBC to the home menu? Ita because it would only be able to access the Sd card?

Pokemaniac

Why cant we run a program that install HBC to the home menu? Ita because it would only be able to access the Sd card?

Only IOSU can install things. IOSU runs on a completely different CPU than the main kernel.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Kind of a long shot, but does anyone in here know of any tools to make BFSTM audio files? Ideally something that could convert ADX to BFSTM, but any BFSTM-maker would probably suffice. I want to swap in some music files from older games, and I have tools that can convert either of those formats to WAV, but nothing to make BFSTMs.

Installing anything to the home menu persistently (reboot wise) would require cheating around the authenticity verification system running on a secondary CPU core. The current exploits don't do this, they just first screw up browser into running custom code instead of the browser, then they do the same thing to the actual operating system. This does not, however, allow direct access to Wii U's actual storage media which is protected by aforementioned authenticity verification system. So basically we can't save anything but things we are already supposed to save (i.e. savegames).

By the way, similar things could be said about the Wii which is somewhat similar security wise, with the primary difference being methods got out quickly on how to screw up the verification system.

Sixfortyfive

There's an update dropping for Smash 4 later tonight. Is it possible to update games without updating the system firmware, just in case a system update is on the horizon?

Answering my own question: You cannot download game updates if you're using the Tubehax DNS. You must change the DNS settings back to Auto to download the update, then back to Manual to block further updates.

I went ahead and downloaded the Smash update ASAP while firmware 5.5.1 is still current.

DeMeester

Answering my own question: You cannot download game updates if you're using the Tubehax DNS. You must change the DNS settings back to Auto to download the update, then back to Manual to block further updates.

I went ahead and downloaded the Smash update ASAP while firmware 5.5.1 is still current.

There are actually various tools to download game updates via pc like NUSGrabberGui or JNUSTool. Just google for them.

Edit: I'm not actually sure they are legal since they require the common key btw.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yikes. I had to delete all the update data for Smash and redownload EVERYTHING again, because my Wii U was just not wanting to download the newest patch. My 3DS downloaded it just fine.

Meh. At least I'll be able to set up the TubeHax DNS in about 20 minutes.

FSLink

Banned
2 questions.

1. Does the current exploit work on a JPN Wii U?

2. What's the most feasible way to load the exploit with no internet access? Would like to do the Smash stuff at some local events but sometimes internet/cell phone internet isn't feasible.

Sixfortyfive

2. What's the most feasible way to load the exploit with no internet access? Would like to do the Smash stuff at some local events but sometimes internet/cell phone internet isn't feasible.

Judging from the OP, if you can't connect to the internet, then you need to have the Wii U on the same network as a PC that can host all the relevant tools.

Rich!

There's actually a way to host the exploit on your android phone too

I don't know anything more about it but there's a thread on gbatemp

Meesh

Finally, got it working... Don't ask, lol.

Anyways I haven't used saviine to extract any save files yet but I have a question: if I'm playing Mon Hun off the sd card and create a save file dose that in any way impact the original save file stored in my WiiU?

Is saviine reliable enough to extract my files without corrupting them, or anything going wrong? Got about 900 hrs in TriU and don't wanna start over yet.

And does anyone have their cheats set up? Is it easy to do?

TunaLover

Is saviine reliable enough to extract my files without corrupting them, or anything going wrong? Got about 900 hrs in TriU and don't wanna start over yet.

And does anyone have their cheats set up? Is it easy to do?
Yes, it's secure, Saviine just call the save to be stored in ram, it doesn't write anything. But if you want to be even safer backup your MH3U save in a secondary storage device, through Wii U management.

Applying cheats is not so hard once you get how to comunicate your Wii U and PC (as server), develop new cheats is another story 😕

Meesh

Yes, it's secure, Saviine just call the save to be stored in ram, it doesn't write anything. But if you want to be even safer backup your MH3U save in a secondary storage device, through Wii U management.

Applying cheats is not so hard once you get how to comunicate your Wii U and PC (as server), develop new cheats is another story 😕
Gotcha, thanks for the reply. :)

Platy

The DNS thing blocked Mario Maker's update ... is there any way to block the console update but not the games updating ? =/

The DNS thing blocked Mario Maker's update ... is there any way to block the console update but not the games updating ? =/

I usually just switch the DNS back and update my game software if there's no system update necessary, and then re-apply Tubehax again. I have the fricken address memorized, I've swapped it so much

deleted

Is there a good guide to show me how to get N64 roms running and without the grey filter? I'd love to play Banjo and Bomberman on the Wii U, but so far I only have Mario Kart 64, Starfox 64 and Super Mario 64 bought through VC. Would it work with any of those, or would I have to use/buy another game? I'm in the EU, so sadly it's mostly PAL for me...

TunaLover

Is there a good guide to show me how to get N64 roms running and without the grey filter? I'd love to play Banjo and Bomberman on the Wii U, but so far I only have Mario Kart 64, Starfox 64 and Super Mario 64 bought through VC. Would it work with any of those, or would I have to use/buy another game? I'm in the EU, so sadly it's mostly PAL for me...
No yet, buy I do know some people that is working on it.

deleted

No yet, buy I do know some people that is working on it.

Thanks, actually I followed your instructions that I found in this thread and it worked just fine - just one thing: Where do I adjust the brightness in the game? Also haven't found out how to do this in the GBA roms...

Oh and any other modifications I can adjust in the N64 emulator? Like screen stretching etc? Or can I get the lag out of Mario 64?

I can't believe it! I'm finally playing BK and Bomberman 64 on a Nintendo console again :D

Edit: Diddy Kong Racing doesn't work, Bowsers Inside Story is full of graphical glitches... It still has ways to go, but this is already fantastic!

TunaLover

Thanks, actually I followed your instructions that I found in this thread and it worked just fine - just one thing: Where do I adjust the brightness in the game? Also haven't found out how to do this in the GBA roms...

Oh and any other modifications I can adjust in the N64 emulator? Like screen stretching etc? Or can I get the lag out of Mario 64?

I can't believe it! I'm finally playing BK and Bomberman 64 on a Nintendo console again :D

Edit: Diddy Kong Racing doesn't work, Bowsers Inside Story is full of graphical glitches... It still has ways to go, but this is already fantastic!
I really not looked too much into N64 emulation, sorry if I couldn't be more helpful :c

Top Bottom