• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

marmoka

Banned
Do the emulators from this site work? http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_homebrew_emulators
Do we have to put the emulators in the roof folder? Or inside "wiiu" folder?

PS2 emulator for Wii U sounds very hard, and mostly impossible if "soon".

Nintendont is a completely separate thing at the moment. Though it doesn't conflict with Wii U OS hacking, so you don't need a separate console or anything.

Too bad. I was hoping to play Nocturne on my living room, rather than playing with my shitty laptop.

Audioboxer

I asked in the other thread, then noticed this one. 5.5.1 still the latest update?

Might just stay on 5.3.2 either way, an IOSU exploit is said to be easier to do on lower FW's.

Chucker

If you need to buy an sd card (that's the only storage method right now) i suggest this one

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVPU7AO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What matters is random 4k readings otherwise games like super mario 3d world are taking ages to load (2-3 minutes), wonderful 101 takes almost 1 hour on some cards..
I ran out at grabbed a similar card at Best Buy for $18.
Can't wait to start dumping.

Edit: Dumping takes forever btw. Wired connection wooly world has been over 2 hours.

Hero

What are the main selling points of this right now aside from the DS stuff, which I admit is pretty awesome.

marmoka

Banned
Those are for the original Wii, not the Wii U.

If you have a copy of Brawl, you can run those in Wii mode on the Wii U. But they're not the same thing as what upcoming ports of Retroarch should hopefully provide.

Thanks. Then I'm not wasting my time with them

But where can we get the DS and N64 emulators? Sorry but I'm completely lost.

Rich!

What are the main selling points of this right now aside from the DS stuff, which I admit is pretty awesome.

- use any rom with the official DS emulator and enable 2x scaling, full brightness, etc with a small ini file edit.

- inject ROMs into SNES, GBA, n64, NES VC titles and fix the brightness/blurring issues (these are parameters set by nintendo purposefully and can be fixed).

- back up your digital and physical games.

- load your games from SD, including any hacks you want. There's already undub patches available for games like Xenoblade. You can play them now! All Wii U backups are uncompressed folders and files. Want to change the music on a game? They're pretty much all in brstm format! Go ahead! Play some smash bros to the music of slayer!

- Use a keyboard and mouse for FPS games.

- Use a dualshock 3, 4 and GameCube controllers as the gamepad input. You can play the entire Wii U library with a Dualshock 4 if you wanted! Or play Mario Kart or Zelda with a Wavebird!

And that's just what's available now in these early days. Just wait until iosu is fully exploited. And retroarch is an inevitability.

Aeana

I got Contra 4 injected. Is there no way to make the screens display on top of each other on the TV and not rotate the dpad? Because lord that is terrible.

tYFAyC0.jpg

Edit: I see, there are orientation settings in the json file. I'll play around with those.

Delt31

For DS games how do you actually increase the resolution out does it happen automatically when you launch gx2?

I really really really want a Splatoon cheat code that gives you less health in single player, but none of the people who make cheat codes seem to care about single player :(

Robin64

Thanks but can't seem to find it. Where exactly is the ini?

So in your game's vol/content/0010 folder you will find a file called configuration_cafe.json.

In there you will have, right near the end, "RenderScale": 1

Just change that 1 to a 2 and save it. Done!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So... I have to buy at least one DS game to inject the rom huh... Any suggestions?

Are there proper NES SNES etc emulators up? Right now I'm using all the emulators from My hacked vWii.

KingWool

Banned
Updated guide to include GBA Injection :)

1. PC Preparation - Part 1 [Download]
  1. Download Wii U HomeBrew Tools [https://mega.nz/#!VctljaJZ!NOsm5ssciZD2OqRrduB9-Ij-e1ZagGdHeEMt3Hi60TQ - Contains Homebrew Launcher, Game Dumper, Game Injection, and PC Wii U Title Dumper
  2. GBA Only - Download & Install Python 3.4
  3. GBA Only - Download & Install YAML (X86)
  4. GBA Only - Download & Install YAML (X64)
  5. Extract the Zip and place the 'wiiu' folder directly onto your SD Card
  6. Place the two files inside the PC folder into C:/WiiU
  7. Run the titledumper.bet that is located in your C:/WiiU folder

2. PC Preparation - Part 2 [Confirm PC IP Address]
  1. Windows Key + R -> type in 'cmd' and hit enter.
  2. Type in 'ipconfig' and hit enter again.
  3. Look for the IPV4 Address. Mine was 192.168.0.8

3. Wii U - Launch Hombrew
  1. Place your SD card into the Wii U & launch the Internet Browser
  2. Navigate to http://loadiine.ovh/
  3. Click 'Submit' and after a few seconds the Homebrew Launcher will load.

4. Wii U - Dump DS/GBA Virtual Console Game
  1. Select 'ddd' from the Homebrew Launcher and hit Load.
  2. Change the Server IP to the IP address of your PC that you found in Step #2.
  3. Press 'X' on the Wii U gamepad to return to the System Menu.
  4. Launch the Nintendo DS or GBA game that you would like to dump.
  5. I recommend Brain Age for Nintendo DS as it is the cheapest and has the best configuration.
  6. You'll start to see it dumping the files from the Wii U to your c:/wiiu/vol/
  7. Once the process has completed, you may close the game, take out the SD card and place it back into your PC.

****For Nintendo DS****
5. PC - Inject Another Nintendo DS Game
  1. Navigate to the 'c:/wiiu/vol/content/0010/' folder and inside is a rom.zip
  2. Inside is 'WUP-N-DAAE.nds
  3. I will be injecting Phantom Hourglass.nds
  4. Rename Phantom Houseglass.nds to WUP-N-DAAE.srl
  5. Drag WUP-N-DAAE.srl inside the opened rom.zip
  6. Delete the WUP-N-DAAE.nds and close the zip

6. PC - Copy Over Your Injected Nintendo DS Game
  1. Open your SD Card and inside the wiiu folder create a folder called 'games' E:/wiiu/games/
  2. Create a folder for your game. Mine is 'Zelda Phantom Hourglass [ABCD01]' E:/wiiu/games/Zelda Phantom Hourglass [ABCD01]
  3. You must have the bracket and four letters and 01 and close bracket. The letters can be anything or use official Nintendo DS naming. I just use ABCD01
  4. Copy your 'content' and 'code' folder on your PC and place them inside your newly created Zelda [etc] folder.
  5. X:/wiiu/games/Zelda Phantom Hourglass [ABCD01]/content/ X:/wiiu/games/Zelda Phantom Hourglass [ABCD01]/code/
  6. Once copied, removed your SD card and place back into the Wii U

****For Game Boy Advance****
5. PC - Inject GBA ROM
  1. Rename your GBA rom to 'game.rom' and place it in your C:/WiiU folder.
  2. In the C:/WiiU/ folder; hold shift and right click in the white area (not on a file) and select 'Open Command Window Here'.
  3. Inject GBA Rom (Copy and Paste this):
    inject_gba.py --inpsb c:/wiiu/vol/content/alldata.psb.m --inrom c:/wiiu/game.rom --outpsb c:/wiiu/alldata.psb.m
  4. You should now have 'alldata.bin' and 'alldata.psb.m' in your C:/WiiU folder
  5. Copy & paste those two files into your C:/WiiU/vol/content folder
  6. This overwrites the current two that are there.
  7. Create a new folder and move the 'content' and 'code' folders into your newly created folder
  8. Rename the folder to whatever you like but you must have letterletterletterletter01 in brackets.
  9. I injected Shining Soul 2 so I named my folder 'Shining Soul 2 [ABCD01].
  10. Copy the folder into your SD card X:/wiiu/games/

*. Wii U - Launch Injected VC Game
  1. Go back to your browser and launch HomeBrew OR simply re-launch Mii Maker if you haven't turned your system off.
  2. If you haven't turned your system up, you'll be back into 'ddd'. Hit home to go back to the Homebrew Launcher
  3. Now launch 'loadiine'
  4. Select your game [only one so far if you're just doing this]. Press A to go to the game. Press A again to launch.
  5. Enjoy!

Rich!

Quick DS injecting tutorial:

Once you've dumped your DS game, load your SD onto your PC. Navigate to this folder and you will find rom.zip.

untitledeuxpr.png

Replace that rom with any NDS rom of your choosing, making sure the name and the extension match exactly.

Go back to the root folder and rename the directory to "GAME NAME [XXXX01]

(xxxx can be anything)

load via loadiine. If you want to change the icons and boot screen wallpaper, it's in the meta folder.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I got Contra 4 injected. Is there no way to make the screens display on top of each other on the TV and not rotate the dpad? Because lord that is terrible.

Edit: I see, there are orientation settings in the json file. I'll play around with those.

contra 4 on the big screen, living the dream.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
How do I get NES/SNES emulators, is it the same ones supported that were on the Wii Homebrew Launcher?

EDIT: I guess not, I just tried moving my Apps folder that was used for HBL on Wii to the WiiU/Apps folder and nothing loaded up. I guess they're not supported yet, bummer face.

Robin64

Thanks. Just got home after leaving DDD to dump Yoshi.
It's just stopped, and the Wii U is off. Is there a confirmation of completion on titledumper.exe or will it just look like nothing is going on?

Yeah, it just stops. It's not very elegant, there's no done notice, heh.

Chucker

Yeah, it just stops. It's not very elegant, there's no done notice, heh.

Phew, that's good.
Where do I put what I dumped in order to run it with loadiine?

Edit: If I don't have a DS game, should I snag Style Savvy since it'd be technically the latest emulator? Or was that just something I read that was gibberish.

SigSig

How do I get NES/SNES emulators, is it the same ones supported that were on the Wii Homebrew Launcher?

Right now we are using the official Virtual Console ones, by injecting (really just copy-pasting) roms into dumped VC titles, then launch them with a backup launcher.

sonto340

Accidentally posted in the other thread, but:
Is there no way to launch games with Loadiine from a USB drive? Do I have to use an SD Card?

Robin64

Phew, that's good.
Where do I put what I dumped in order to run it with loadiine?

You need to have it in /wiiu/games/

The folder needs to be named "Name of Game [TitleID]"

For VC injections, you can make up anything for the title ID, but it must be four characters and then 01. DMSK01 for example.

For Wii U titles, it needs to be the game's correct titleID6. To get that, look in meta.xml.

<product_code type="string" length="32">WUP-P-AYCP</product code>
<company_code type="string" length="8">0001</company_code>

In this case the titleID is AYCP01

So Super Mario Maker is "/wiiu/games/Super Mario Maker [AMAE01]/"

Accidentally posted in the other thread, but:
Is there no way to launch games with Loadiine from a USB drive? Do I have to use an SD Card?

Not yet. For quite convoluted reasoning which could be summed up as "Smash for Wii U uses SD card for user accessible files but nothing 'regular' does it with USB drives", hypervisor breaking is required for accessing the latter. Accidentally, initially scene was sure NAS drives would be the easiest thing, then USB, then SD... but they were wrong.

Yeah.. and often the top screen has nothing on it really so it'd be cool to have the bottom screen be the big one on the TV. Hmmm.

Top Bottom