• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Information Thread

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
enzo_gt said:
This is the worst console announcement, ever. Jesus Christ.
The announcement was pretty bad but the console itself is incredible imo. A true 1080p Nintendo console with an awesome new controller? Battlefield 3? Tekken? Assassins Creed REAL 3rd party support? + Nintendo's new HD games = dream console.

What exactly does the WiiU not do that you wanted it to be?

Ydahs

Can someone provide a link to the Nintendo coverage post conference? e3.nintendo.com is replaying the conference.

McHuj said:
I'm amazed at the lack of real software for this thing. I really would have thought that thing would have or two Nintendo first party games demoed on stage and another third party. I know it's a year out, but still. I want to see the games, not just hear promises or fake highlight reels.

EricDiesel said:
I am, too. Not about the controller or console, just about the conference and how Nintendo presented the information. That was fucking weird.

Maybe it's all purposefully vague.

- Didn't say much about the actual hardware
- They really stressed backwards compatibility

Both of these could be attempts to not scare people away from the Wii this upcoming holiday season.

Either that.. or Nintendo isn't really ready and is in reactionary mode to plummeting Wii sales.

RPGCrazied

The fact you can play this in bed, or around the house without being in front of the main TV is awesome, then continue playing later on the big screen.

I like the idea. I need to know pricing now, cause that can kill my hype for this.

So what is this streaming to the controller like?

Do I have to be like within like 5 or 10 ft of it? Does it actually get stored in the controller itself?

Also; no HDD (really?). The graphical power? (a lot of Wii looking stuff) no blu ray? What's the online infrastructure like now? (seemingly swept under the rug again)

Gotta say I am optmistic, but have lots of questions

Re-Formatted the Wii U part of the press release:
Press Release
LOS ANGELES, June 7, 2011 – At the E3
Expo, Nintendo introduced a new paradigm for video games and home entertainment: Wii U™, a new console that includes a controller with a 6.2-inch screen. Adding a second screen to the living room creates a multitude of new video game experiences while offering families a variety of options to customize their entertainment.

Previously, video games played on a home console have been confined to the TV and offered identical viewpoints to each player in a multiplayer environment. Furthermore, watching TV and playing console games have been completely separate experiences. The new controller removes these boundaries, creating a more dynamic and fluid gaming and entertainment experience. Visitors to the E3 Expo will see firsthand the type of gaming experiences made possible by Wii U and the new controller such as:
• In single-player games:
o The new controller can display information on its screen that does not appear on the TV.
o The information and viewpoint can also change in the new controller based on the orientation of its gyroscope.

• In multiplayer games:
o The player using the new controller can have a different experience than those looking at the TV. This will offer a wide variety of competitive and cooperative opportunities.

In addition to the 6.2-inch screen, the new controller also features an accelerometer and a gyroscope, a rumble feature, an inward-facing camera, a microphone and speakers. Adding these features to the Classic Controller™ button scheme – two analog Circle Pads, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons – will enable a breadth of game-play experiences while appealing to both casual and dedicated video game players.

Wii U combines motion-sensing game play with the ability to support full HD graphics. Each Wii U console will be partnered with a new controller and can also use up to four additional Wii Remote™ or Wii Remote Plus controllers. The system is also backward compatible and can play all Wii games and use all Wii accessories. The Wii console has sold more than 86 million units globally and greatly expanded the overall audience for video games. Wii U aims to expand that audience even further. Developers worldwide are already working on new games and experiences for the console.

“Wii U redefines the structure of home entertainment by fundamentally changing how the TV, the game console and the Internet function and interact together,” said Nintendo President Satoru Iwata. “The experience enabled by Wii U and the new controller takes players deeper into their games, while reaching out wider than ever before to be inviting to all kinds of gamers.”
(Rest of PR covers 3DS and Zelda stuff at the conference)

In this age of 3d, holograms, and controllerless gameplay.

the whole big controller with a screen thing not doing it for me.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Trurl said:
I have no idea if this console will be successful, but it feels inspired in a way that 3DS was not.
I disagree.
It's built very much upon what Apple is doing. It's not as amazing a vision as Wii.
Still, it's interesting.

Tyrael

Here's the specs taken from the Nintendo Press Site:
Launches: 2012

Size: Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.

New Controller: The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button
controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional
barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the
video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home
button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a
built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo
speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.

Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once.
The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the
Nunchuk™ controller, Classic Controller™, Classic Controller Pro™ and Wii Balance
Board™.

Media: A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density
optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.

Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI,
component, S-video and composite.

Audio Output: Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
Storage: The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its
memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.

CPU: IBM Power®-based multi-core microprocessor.

Other: Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible
with Wii games and Wii accessories.

Note: Details are subject to change.

kuroshiki

Shaheed79 said:
The announcement was pretty bad but the console itself is incredible imo. A true 1080p Nintendo console with an awesome new controller? Battlefield 3? Tekken? Assassins Creed REAL 3rd party support? + Nintendo's new HD games = dream console.

You sure it is going to be 100% 1080p for all 3rd party games? We don't know shit at this point.

EricDiesel said:
I am, too. Not about the controller or console, just about the conference and how Nintendo presented the information. That was fucking weird.

But this is the Wii all over again. Dumb name, weird controller, everyone flips out calling it "THE WORST THING EVER WTF NINTENDO I H8 U!!!!!!!!!", then in 6 months nobody will think it's abnormal at all. How some of you people don't have enough foresight to get that is baffling.

We also said the same thing about the Virtual Boy.

I'm holding out for sure, it was going to be a day 1 but I really have to see how they will utilize it.

It must suck to be a developer right now.

"Game done for the PC"
"Cool, now port that shit to PS3, RAM might be an issue ... ah shit, gotta add Move support"
"Have to make cuts for the 360 disk size and add some waving arms for calling out orders"
"The 3DS version needs to be 3D and touchy!"
"Vita version can almost be a port but now we have to add bottom touch screens and shaking the shit out of it!"
"Don't forget the Wii U, I don't know, throw some map or some shit on the controller and add 4 player"
"DONE! Call of Duty World Experience Hero is finally gold!"

There is so much random shit out there I'm surprised games are even going multiplatform these days lol

Shorty

Banned
Fonds said:
prcspec13iu.jpg

Wonder if real?
Jeez guys it's not real. I know the guy who made it. It's a fake.

Shaheed79 said:

Well, I'd personally have liked to see:

- More information about actual hardware.. how well is this going to compete with my 360/PS3? Is it enough to make it the 3rd party go-to machine?

- Are we going to be able to play with a normal dual-analog controller that isn't that large? I can't imagine 3rd party games especially taking much advantage of the screen... so I'd rather not deal with the expense and the size.

Other than that, I just think people have mixed opinions on the controller. "Amazing" to you is more puzzling to me. It's a preference thing I guess.. I don't have a lot of reason not to always be playing on my HDTV personally.

Perhaps that is meant to appeal to kids/teenagers who have to fight for TV time?

EricDeisel said:
But this is the Wii all over again. Dumb name, weird controller, everyone flips out calling it "THE WORST THING EVER WTF NINTENDO I H8 U!!!!!!!!!", then in 6 months nobody will think it's abnormal at all. How some of you people don't have enough foresight to get that is baffling.

Except I never thought the Wii was great.

The name thing sure.. I was convinced the name would be always made fun of.

The controller? The Wii controller didn't excite me at all.. the only "surprise" for me was how well it caught on with the general public and casuals.. but my initial thoughts on the Wii controller and the Wii in general still hold true today.

So I'll readily admit it's nearly impossible to predict how well the general public is going to receive these Nintendo "innovations".. but I'm still pretty confident that I can have my own opinion of the controller without someone telling me I lack foresight.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised by the controller.. I just don't have high hopes.

Davedough

I cant help but feel jaded about this. I bought into the hype train of the original Wii hook line and sinker and what happened? When the gimmick of motion controlling was over, it sat on my shelf for MONTHS without any play at all. Aside from a few... and I do mean very few fun and interesting games, that system for me was a failure.

I cant help but feel the same potential for this one. While on the onset, I feel as if the features are pretty cool and I like what I see. When I think about it though, I cant help but think that Nintendo has just created yet another gimmick that will prove too difficult for developers to do anything with. It will become the same way the original Wii did, in that developers will settle on one small aspect of the new system's potential and exploit that gimmick just to put games out there while never being revolutionary in the process.

The games shown overall weren't anything for me to hype about. It looked like standard Nintendo regurgitation. Take the same game you love, put it out yet again with 1 more feature attached to it and call it new. *yawn*

Some tweets:
@GarnettLee
Garnett Lee
Doubters, the Wii U tablet controller feels great in hand. Nestles right into my grip

@jeffgerstmann
Jeff Gerstmann
The Shield Pose tech demo looks like something that would go in a Rhythm Heaven game. Neat interaction between the screens.

@stephentotilo
Stephen Totilo
Take a tour of the Wii U controller. We got it in our hands, compared it to 3DS, iPhone (video!) http://bit.ly/mzfs0M

@ashens
Stuart Ashen (Dr. Ashens)
Just been pointed out to me that the Wii U controller looks a bit like a widescreen GP32 - http://is.gd/FDVZU8

Chittagong

Gold Member
New news from GT Reggie interview

- No multitouch in Wii U controller (=resistive)
- Controller can't be used to play games around house, has to be same room

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
kuroshiki said:
You sure it is going to be 100% 1080p for all 3rd party games? We don't know shit at this point.
Seriously? Reggie confirmed the console was capable of outputting 1080p. That means the possibility is there for developers to use. I'll be happy if the console gets TRUE 720p games for most of its 3rd party software and not this 570p 640p or whatever crap we see in a lot of these PS3/360 games.

Why in the world would you expect Nintendo to say that ALL WiiU games will be 1080p? I doubt even all PS4/Xbox3 games will be guaranteed to be 1080p. Who could possibly guarantee that? Sony and MS guarantee true HD games this generations and we see how that turned out. It depends on the games.

epaturun

Chittagong said:

this gets worse - dont care too much about the spec - but the potential of the controller seems a bit lost too

Bert

epaturun said:
this gets worse - dont care too much about the spec - but the potential of the controller seems a bit lost too

While I agree that would have been cool to play outside the room, I don't think that's the point of the controller. It's to give you a completely independent camera view in your hands. Read about the Japan street tech demo. Sounds really cool.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Chittagong said:

It's not multi-touch? That's, unfortunate?

Father_Brain said:
The press release strongly implies that only one WiiU controller can be used at a time, and that all local multiplayer games will require players 2-4 to use the Wiimote/Nunchuk.

Yeah I thought the first bullet saying "player" may have just been a grammar error. But they spell it out pretty well near the bottom.

Makes sense from a cost/tech standpoint. The machine is going to need some sort of hardware dedicated to encoding and streaming the video on the fly.

The one WiiU controller at a time can't be right can it? That would mean that they have to incorporate old Wiimote tech into existing and upcoming third party games...

kuYuri

Fuuuu, I need a price. I don't need to buy a Wii with the BC included in this console.

EDIT: Damn, forgot no Gamecube BC. :(

Deadly

Has a price been announced? I mean sure they have all these hardcore games but why bother to buy a new console just to play it when I can save and play it on my other consoles...

Top Bottom