• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U is supposedly running a chip based on the RV770 according to endgadget.

Jin34

antonz said:
Honestly unless its the 4850 or 4870 the R770s would be a poor choice to build from. The R740 4770 outperforms the 4830 and 4730 and has a smaller power usage

Apples to oranges though. All 4000 series cards were 55nm cards except for the 4770 which came later than the others at 40nm as it was used to test the new node process that was going to be used for the 5000 series.

Jin34 said:
That card is a huge power hungry card, probably uses more power by itself than a launch Xbox 360. Graphic cards have become much larger and much more power hungry and require exotic cooling solutions to keep them from becoming absurdly hot (some would say they still get too hot). The only thing they have improved in this regard is the power consumption when not gaming, but that's mostly irrelevant when talking about video game consoles.

Yeah, today. I'm talking about 2 years from now, where it would probably go through some internal changes and one major die shrink.

MisterHero

I really want Wii U to support 4 U controllers like Wii and Wii Remotes but yeah, I don't know if people are crazy over getting SD images out of their HD Wii U games.

I'd be fine with it, I'm just trying to gauge the possible audience reaction to Nintendo announcing 4-controller support using with the most predictable/practical method to achieve it.

Alextended said:
It already does exactly that :p
Yeah but with Wii U pads. :p

I enjoyed for the suite of Mii/Wii Remote games they demoed.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
MisterHero said:
I really want Wii U to support 4 U controllers like Wii and Wii Remotes but yeah, I don't know if people are crazy over getting SD images out of their HD Wii U games.
It already does exactly that :p

Mr_Brit

Banned
antonz said:
Honestly unless its the 4850 or 4870 the R770s would be a poor choice to build from. The R740 4770 outperforms the 4830 and 4730 and has a smaller power usage
Isn't that due to the 4770 being 40nm rather than 55nm?

guek

Banned
OMT said:
Submitted for your approval, a Dragon Ball list:

NES: Master Roshi
Genesis: Piccolo Daimayo
SNES: Late-Dragon Ball Goku
3DO: Raditz
Saturn: Nappa
PSX: Goku vs. the Saiyans
N64: Vegeta vs. the Z Warriors
Dreamcast: Freeza
PS2: Super Saiyan Goku
GCN: Future Trunks
Xbox: Super Saiyan Vegeta
360: Ascended Super Saiyan Vegeta
PS3: Perfect Cell
Wii: Super Saiyan Gohan
Wii U: Super Saiyan 2 Gohan

hmm...I think frieza saga is the toughest to pin down. I'd probably say:

Dreamcast: Gohan at the end of frieza saga
PS2: Piccolo+Nail fusion
GC: Vegeta vs Frieza
Xbox: Goku (base) vs. Frieza
Wii: Goku Kaio-ken x20
360: Frieza
PS3: SSJ1 Goku
Wii-u: Super Vegeta (Ascended Saiyan)
Xbox3: SSJ2 Gohan
PS4: Super Perfect Cell (after he comes back stronger following his self destruction)

In the future it'll most likely be:

Super Wii-U: Maijin Vegeta
PS5: SSJ3 Goku
Xbox4: Mystic Gohan (full potential unlocked)
Super Duper Wii-U: SSJ4 Goku
PS6: SSJ4 Gogeta
Xbox5: Omega Shenron (w/all 7 dragonballs)

yes, I spent too much time thinking about this...

miksar

So let's assume the rumour about 360 at E3 12 is true and Microsoft plan to release it holiday 2013. What can realistically be put into it if it is of the same size as the original 360, with the basic SKU priced $350 and MS taking a slight loss at launch? And how much more powerful than RV770 will it be?

edit: yay, i'm a member now!

Jin34

Zombie James said:
Yeah, today. I'm talking about 2 years from now, where it would probably go through some internal changes and one major die shrink.

Die shrinks help, but they aren't magic elixirs that make a huge power hog into a cool n quiet card. Also the pace at which die shrinks are coming has slowed down a lot for companies not named Intel. The 4770 is a 40nm card, the latest Radeons/GeForce cards are still at 40nm.

Also, many underestimate just how much juice this card uses.

Instro

OMT said:
Submitted for your approval, a Dragon Ball list:

NES: Master Roshi
Genesis: Piccolo Daimayo
SNES: Late-Dragon Ball Goku
3DO: Raditz
Saturn: Nappa
PSX: Goku vs. the Saiyans
N64: Vegeta vs. the Z Warriors
Dreamcast: Captain Ginyu
PS2: Freiza 1st form
GCN: Vegeta vs. Frieza
Xbox: Frieza 2nd form
360: Frieza 100%
PS3: SS1 Goku
Wii: Piccolo+Nail
Wii U: Piccolo+Kami or Ascended SS1 Vegeta since we dont know yet.
I think this works better.

antonz

Mr_Brit said:
Isn't that due to the 4770 being 40nm rather than 55nm?
That certainly factors into the lower power usage but the 4770 has some other benefits. In the long run they are all capable cards that would be a step up but certainly nothing like 10x. A safe 2-4x though. 4870 would certainly move into the real of 5x.

CPU is where I really expect the least performance boost. I could easily see them going for a small boost that comes just from modern tech.

OMT

guek said:

PS4: Super Perfect Cell (after he comes back stronger following his self destruction)

Dreamcast is Freeza because it outclassed everything when it came around
PS2 is Super Saiyan Goku because it obliterated the Dreamcast and dominated the generation
GameCube is Future Trunks, because Trunks has purple hair and also obliterated Freeza
Xbox is Super Saiyan Vegeta, because it outclassed the PS2 once the latter met its limitations (processing, heart problems)

360 is the Ascended Super Saiyan Vegeta, because it's brutally powerful but burns out quickly
PS3 is Perfect Cell because of the goddamn name of the processor and was more powerful than anything else
Wii is Super Saiyan Gohan, because it is small and throws back to the previous generation

Wii U is Super Saiyan 2 Gohan, because it'll beat Perfect Cell

Plinko said:
That's what I took from this article. This absolutely confirms the hardware is capable of pumping out data to multiple controllers.

This is huge positive news.
Would be ideal for Monster Hunter 4. Local multiplayer, one console, four screens.

It's absolutely fantastic news if true, but I'm just going to wait it out until it's closer to confirmed.

Oh, and if it is true this system is definitely at SSJ2 Gohan level.
antonz said:
That certainly factors into the lower power usage but the 4770 has some other benefits. In the long run they are all capable cards that would be a step up but certainly nothing like 10x. A safe 2-4x though. 4870 would certainly move into the real of 5x.

CPU is where I really expect the least performance boost. I could easily see them going for a small boost that comes just from modern tech.
I'm hoping that it's a 4850, 4860 or a 4870, but anything from the R770 class is a very nice step up from the current HD consoles and they'll run smooth as butter once they're looked over by Nintendo's engineers.

It's certainly more than a "significant" step in terms of overall power and potential.
guek said:

Your list would be much more believable if The WiiU was SSJ2 Gohan. It's a console that has been eleven years in the making.

Dammit

Lord Error said:
I doubt they will have the same GPU specs, but even if they do, I don't see how releasing something that's the best tech possible for the moment, is anything to scoff at.
Oh believe me, I'm not scoffing but just correcting him. I don't don't know how the custom quad chip in the Vita compares to Nvidia's Kal-el but the tech demos they've released so far have been amazing.

Bert

MisterHero said:

you realise that's SD to the controllers right? With a 6.2 inch screen? I'd be amazed if anyone noticed. In fact, not many people playing them did, lots of reports guessed at 720p.

EDIT: Also I don't watch DBZ, can someone translate? Perhaps using Pokemon duct taped together?

Mr_Brit said:
Lol, no it's not. Not even close.

I know Ace had a great idea the other day. A thread dedicated to just informing gamers about the innards of consoles, pcs, handhelds, etc. You know RAM, GPUs, CPUs, and the like. Think you'd be up to the task? It would really cut down on the stupid tech assumptions and I feel it would strengthen the board as a whole.

I have a 4850 in my PC. It doesn't even run Witcher 2 at 1080p/30fps when I have everything but ubersampling/LoD at ultra. I dunno though, the bottleneck could be my 2.4Ghz Core 2 Quad.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Bert said:
you realise that's SD to the controllers right? With a 6.2 inch screen? I'd be amazed if anyone noticed.
The pads are ED, not SD, and it would be like a 5-way split screen except with a full HD view on the TV.

They wouldn't be able to have the best visuals in such a setup is what I think he meant...

OMT

Instro said:
I think this works better.

I like what you did there, and I originally wanted the Dreamcast as Captain Ginyu. However, I couldn't get it to fit. I wanted to make sure that the console that "won" the generation ended up as the victor in DBZ - thus, why the PS2 was Super Saiyan Goku, and not a form of Freeza.

There is also no way in hell that I will budge on the PS3 = Cell, either.

Bert

Alextended said:
Bert said:
you realise that's SD to the controllers right? With a 6.2 inch screen? I'd be amazed if anyone noticed.

They wouldn't be able to have the best visuals in such a setup is what I think he meant...

I'll take your word for it, but I read that article as saying the chip could produce HD to the TV and SD to 4 controllers. But I'm no tech head and will defer to others' greater knowledge.

MisterHero

Alextended said:
The pad is ED, not SD, and if a game utilised them all it would be a lot like playing 5 way split screen, except you'd have a full HD view on the TV... They wouldn't be able to have the best visuals in such a setup is what I think he meant...
That's exactly what I meant. :p

The console and display are capable of more but I just don't see a full multiplayer set-up looking/being as good as the single-player experience just yet.

I think a lot of people were expecting that, even after reactions to the 1-controller-per-console speculation.

jmdajr

guek said:

its cool..I love dragonball

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I have a 4850 in my PC. It doesn't even run Witcher 2 at 1080p/30fps when I have everything but ubersampling/LoD at ultra. I dunno though, the bottleneck could be my 2.4Ghz Core 2 Quad.

At that resolution you're really stretched the limits of your 4850 especially to the huge 1080p frame buffer at only 512MB RAM with Witcher 2 with near max settings. You're better suited towards lower resolutions and easing the settings some more.

DragonKnight said:
I know Ace had a great idea the other day. A thread dedicated to just informing gamers about the innards of consoles, pcs, handhelds, etc. You know RAM, GPUs, CPUs, and the like. Think you'd be up to the task? It would really cut down on the stupid tech assumptions and I feel it would strengthen the board as a whole.
All in DBZ comparisons or no deal.

DragonKnight said:
What's the power draw for the 360 and PS3?
They both started out at about 200 watts when playing games. The 360 is down to 135watts thanks to the latest hardware revision and the PS3 averages between 90-120 watts when playing a game.

They're from wikipedia.
shadyspace said:
That was a long fuckin' hike to get to that punchline but I lol'd anyway.
It was worth it. This console is the perfect analogue to SSJ2 Gohan. It's got the whole "potential" aspect down like Gohan who showed crazy bursts of power(Galaxy, Metroid prime) and who realized his true potential after his friend was crushed under the foot of a more powerful console(The Wii that was run down by shoddy ports and a more powerful adversary with better development tools).

I need to take a seat.

antonz

DragonKnight said:
What's the power draw for the 360 and PS3?
before shrinkage
360 used around 190W
PS3 used around 200W

Slim Models
360 uses around 88 Watts
PS3 uses around 78 Watts

Instro

OMT said:
I like what you did there, and I originally wanted the Dreamcast as Captain Ginyu. However, I couldn't get it to fit. I wanted to make sure that the console that "won" the generation ended up as the victor in DBZ - thus, why the PS2 was Super Saiyan Goku, and not a form of Freeza.

There is also no way in hell that I will budge on the PS3 = Cell, either.
Well I tried to consider that each console generational leap was around a 10x increase in power, which is why I slowed down your progression.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I love this thread, relative sane discussion about Wii U graphics and comparisons to DragonBall Power Levels.

Keep it up guys <3

SolarPowered said:
It was worth it. This console is the perfect analogue to SSJ2 Gohan. It's got the whole "potential" aspect down like Gohan who showed crazy bursts of power(Galaxy, Metroid prime) and who realized his true potential after his friend was crushed under the foot of a more powerful console(The Wii that was run down by shoddy ports and a more powerful adversary with better development tools).

I need to take a seat.
Hey, no need to convince me, friend. I was the first one in the thread to make the SSJ2 Gohan comparison haha.

Luckyman

Banned
Vinci said:
Good god, it's no wonder people like you always think Nintendo is a technological midget. Are you joking?

Seriously lol at people claiming Vita is not bleeding edge. Its the best mobile tech at the time it was designed and still is.

antonz

Max Power consumption really comes down to being what would be nice to know. Nintendo went on the crazy kick with the Wii and its 18W system. If they purposely try for a 50w system or something then they will have to seriously weaken their potential to achieve a "eco-friendly" system.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Plinko said:
That's what I took from this article. This absolutely confirms the hardware is capable of pumping out data to multiple controllers.

This is huge positive news.

Except it seems insufficient to run to TV in HD plus more than one controller.

That said a 4890 is what I am running in my PC now and it is a beast. It can easily output 1080p in most games with lots of eye candy, and no sweat in 720p.

But I think the 770 is more of a 4850 card, which is significantly less powerful, but nevertheless much stronger than the PS3/360.

antonz said:
before shrinkage
360 used around 190W
PS3 used around 200W

Slim Models
360 uses around 88 Watts
PS3 uses around 78 Watts

I looked at the 480GTX and 580GTX, the wattage and heat usage is scary at over 350 watt. The 480GTX was released the in the Spring of last year and 580GTX fall/winter and the different is like 10 watts. It's no wonder Dennis doubts it in a next gen console.

The 480GTX is now a year old, but that thing is still a monster of a card that goes for like $350-400.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
AndyD said:
Except it seems insufficient to run to TV in HD plus more than one controller.

How so?

antonz

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I looked at the 480GTX and 580GTX, the wattage and heat usage is scary at over 350 watt. The 480GTX was released the in the Spring of last year and 580GTX fall/winter and the different is like 10 watts. It's no wonder Dennis doubts it in a next gen console.

The 480GTX is now a year old, but that thing is still a monster of a card that goes for like $350-400.
Yeah The Graphics Card market has gone on an advancement path that leaves consoles very much well behind. Even if they can cut power usage in half on some of the top cards today it would be as hot as the entire 360/PS3 and they had cooling issues early on that led to system failures.

Lets say Nintendo settles for the 4850. Thats really not that bad. Thats the reccomended card for Witcher 2 for instance. Take that and put it into aq closed enviroment like a console and it will do even more amazing

v1oz

AzureNightmare said:
Unfortunately I'm gonna have to call bullshit on Engadget's claim since it flies in the face of what AMD has stated about the GPU. AMD stated that "The custom AMD Radeon™ HD GPU reflects the best characteristics of AMD’s graphics technology solutions: high-definition graphics support; rich multimedia acceleration and playback; and multiple display support." and "The AMD custom graphics processor features a modern and rich graphics processing core, allowing the new console to shine with new graphics capabilities." These two phrases right here point to the GPU at least being based on the Cypress core, since it is the first AMD GPU to natively support eyefinity, AMD's proprietary multi display technology.
Co-sign. Because Endgadget is basing it's information on the old Japanese article that mentioned the RV770.

Top Bottom