• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Japanese Launch: 308,570 systems sold, Mario leads with 170,563 copies

NSMBU: 160.140
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: 106.454
Nintendoland: 66.583
Zombi U: 10.680
Warriors Orichi 3 Hyper: 7.252
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: 4.951

Is this top 6 best selling Wii U games ?

NSMBU: 160.140
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: 106.454
Nintendoland: 66.583
Zombi U: 10.680
Warriors Orichi 3 Hyper: 7.252
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: 4.951

Is this top 6 best selling Wii U games ?
We have no numbers for:

Assassin's Creed III
Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition
FIFA Soccer 13
Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

So, could be the Top 6.

Hero

That game just shows their incompetence regarding that project.

They will be releasing their 3rd big-budget FF game (excluding Versus) by the end of this gen...

And the incompetence for Final Fantasy XIV is even greater than that. Nobody should have reason to have faith in SE as a company anymore.

Precisely. Gamecube's third-party support was far worse than the Wii's: the 'cube got a handful of multiplatform games, mostly ones aimed at a younger audience, but was barely supported by even the biggest publishers. The Wii missed out on most multiplatform games, but got a pretty good number of strong exclusives. Neither were exactly good, but the Wii definitely edged it.

Nonsense. Yes, GC missed out on quite a few PS2/Xbox multiplatform games, but as late as 2005, EA, Activision, and Ubisoft were still putting most or all of their multiplatform titles on it.

Now, if we're talking about Western third-party exclusives, then yes, Deadly Creatures, Boom Blox, DS:E, and Red Steel 2 are better than GC's pitiful showing. But multiplatform support is what matters in the HD era.

Franchise only popular in Japan and a port.

Not saying much yet, tbh.

SE putting out the next main FF on Ps4 and X720, instead of just Wiiu, will be a more logical choice. Don't think that the option to release that game on all three platforms exists...
I'm not sure if its that simple this time. They previously invested a lot of resources to the PS3 due to them hoping that the system would be as popular as the PS2. When that didn't happen, they decided to go multi-platform. Overall, their success in HD consoles appeared to be mixed. FFXIII versus still hasn't been released and FFIV didn't help them at all. In the meantime, the Enix side seems to invest more with projects for Nintendo platforms.

It will be interesting to see what Square will do. I don't see even them blindly jumping into the PS4/durango bandwagon without caution.

Bruno MB

I still have faith in Final Fantasy XV being released on current gen systems, and even Kingdom Hearts 3 too.

I'm still happy with my PS3, in fact, I bought a new one just 6 months ago since my old fat 40GB model broke.

Takao

Banned
No way, Capcom and Konami are both focusing on crossgen scalability with MT Framework and FOX Engine. You can expect both to give Wii U a good amount of support. Square Enix is the only real question mark with Luminous, but then even they gave a nod to scalability by saying it'll run on an iPad. Besides which they still have Crystal Tools and UE3 stuff that will probably still make it to Wii U.

Namco Bandai will support everything, Level 5 will go handhelds+Wii U (Ninobombi killed PS3 for them), Atlus will focus on handhelds and continue PS360.

Yes, this is why Konami has announced MGSV, Ground Zeroes, Rising, Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2, PES, Pro Yakuya Spirits, and Power Pros for Wii U. They're giving it their all. Wait, none of those games have a Wii U version announced. Whoops.

Wii U will get PES Playmaker WU, Power Pros and that's probably it from Konami. Kojima already gave it the "I'd have to design a game around the Wii U" kiss of death.

Nonsense. Yes, GC missed out on quite a few PS2/Xbox multiplatform games, but as late as 2005, EA, Activision, and Ubisoft were still putting most or all of their multiplatform titles on it.

Now, if we're talking about Western third-party exclusives, then yes, Deadly Creatures, Boom Blox, DS:E, and Red Steel 2 are better than GC's pitiful showing. But multiplatform support is what matters in the HD era.
My memory is probably off or wrong but I thought I remembered even essential multiplatform support such as madden, guitar hero and call of duty were missed on the GCN or stopped being made for it. Although call of duty and guitar hero weren't as big during that gen they still were good sellers.

Majmun

4th. final fantasy xiv online.

Oops, I always forget about the online FF games.

But yeah, SE has been shit this gen, especially on consoles. But still, they are a big player. Their support is still important. And I'm thinking they'll be going on MS' and Sony's route again..

Hero

4th. final fantasy xiv online.

I'd hardly classify XIII-2 and Lightning Returns as big budget anyway, seeing as how they're not big budget and being done for low cost due to reusing assets and engine and quick turn around time.

Kacho

I'd hardly classify XIII-2 and Lightning Returns as big budget anyway, seeing as how they're not big budget and being done for low cost due to reusing assets and engine and quick turn around time.

Yep. Trying to make that money back.

My memory is probably off or wrong but I thought I remembered even essential multiplatform support such as madden, guitar hero and call of duty were missed on the GCN or stopped being made for it. Although call of duty and guitar hero weren't as big during that gen they still were good sellers.

GC got Call of Duty 2 in 2005 (the same one other current-gen consoles got, not the one PC and 360 got). It got every Madden from 2002 through 2008. As for Guitar Hero, that started out as a PS2-exclusive franchise, and didn't go multiplatform until 2007.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Japan better not decide to support WiiU as the default console of choice in the new generation or they will be left further in the dust by the western etc. devs when it comes to game development. Either they compete (and focus on PS4/720) or they give up (and stick to the WiiU).

What an incredibly ignorant post.

[edit - I might as well elaborate] Japan will, in no way other than what exists in your own mind, be left in the dust. It remains true that Japanese games sell worse in the West than western titles. However, it is also true that Western titles sell worse in Japan than Japanese titles. To say that Japan will be unable to compete against western developers if they decide to stick with the Wii U is ignorant of the material data we have on sales from this gen on Japan's several struggles to maintain a coherent audience in the West. To suggest ALL Japanese developers and publishers should do anything other than what they deem best for their earnings is ridiculous.

As for the argument that they will be become technically inferior to the West, I ask, in what significant way is that "being left in the dust" if it results in developers shutting their doors and publishers not willing to take rists? I say THAT would be when Japan is "left in the dust."

I have absolutely no interest in the PS4 or X720 after getting the Wii U. Great job to Nintendo for improving upon the Wii in every way people wanted.

Laguna

Banned
The lineup of those 3rd party studios suggests that they aren´t to eager to make the jump and that they likely will continue their multiplatform strategy on already released platforms for a few years. Also with what kind of games could Sony possibly launch a PS4 in Japan? I really doubt they will have strong system sellers by then. PS4 likely will underperform and sell considerably less than WiiU.

farnham

Banned

call of duty came out but wasnt that big, guitar hero was ps2 exclusive.
important multiplats not comming to gc include GTA, burn out 3 (2 sold well btw), black etc..

18-Volt

Good start, but it doesn't change anything. Japan is handheld country now and Wii U has a very slim chance to gain success in Japan. Home consoles are dead for Japanese gamers.

gogogow

Oops, I always forget about the online FF games.

But yeah, SE has been shit this gen, especially on consoles. But still, they are a big player. Their support is still important. And I'm thinking they'll be going on MS' and Sony's route again..

Big player in what way exactly? FFXIII didn't even passed the 2m mark, shops had a ton of used copies and went very quickly into the bomba bins and shops had to stop accepting used copies, FFXIII-2, a game that "no one" asked for underperformed by a mile. Outside of DQIX and some DQ remakes on the DS in Japan, I don't think they meant much this gen.

good numbers imho.. is wiiu possibly at 1 mio world wide now?

WW it seems like a safe bet. Remember, these numbers from Japan aren't even launch week, they're the first two days. We know they've done about 800k just by combining the US November, Japan first 2 days and UK launch week numbers. We don't have anything for the last week of NA, and I haven't seen anything for the rest of Europe at all.

RM8

Since I always own Nintendo and Sony consoles, I actually enjoy that their libraries don't overlap a lot. Wii got tons of great unique games and I hope WiiU+PS4 turn out like that too, personally.

The lineup of those 3rd party studios suggests that they aren´t to eager to make the jump and that they likely will continue their multiplatform strategy on already released platforms for a few years. Also with what kind of games could Sony possibly launch a PS4 in Japan? I really doubt they will have strong system sellers by then. PS4 likely will underperform and sell considerably less than WiiU.

Musou, FIFA, something with Gundam in it, something with Sonic in it, and Ridge Racer. They'll also have a big budget 1st party title that they'll hype. It might not set the world on fire, but it probably doesn't need to out of the gate.

Majmun

Big player in what way exactly? FFXIII didn't even passed the 2m mark, FFXIII-2, a game that "no one" asked for underperformed by a mile. Outside of DQIX and some DQ remakes on the DS in Japan, I don't think they meant much this gen.

They own a lot of popular IP's, instead of just DQ and FF. And they're a big publisher.

They are huge...
on paper.

farnham

Banned
What an incredibly ignorant post.

at the end of the day the world wide developer community consists of less than 100k people. most of those people probably think similarly to bad wolf (nintendo means no progress). thats why its possible that no company even tried to develop for wii despite it being the market leader.
the gaming industry does not seem to operate with economic principles (demand and supply) but rather with emotional bondings to certain companies. nintendo seems to be the common booman.

Nibel

I have absolutely no interest in the PS4 or X720 after getting the Wii U. Great job to Nintendo for improving upon the Wii in every way people wanted.

You don't even know a thing about the X720 and PS4 - and yeah, I'm impressed by my Wii U, too, but let's not get crazy in here

GC got Call of Duty 2 in 2005 (the same one other current-gen consoles got, not the one PC and 360 got). It got every Madden from 2002 through 2008. As for Guitar Hero, that started out as a PS2-exclusive franchise, and didn't go multiplatform until 2007.
Well like I said my memory was bad on that. Either way I don't think one could say exclusives or multiplatform games are any more or less important. PS2 won because of its exclusive titles on top of getting all multiplatform. Wii failed to completely dominate like the PS2 because it didn't get a lot of the titles appearing on 360/PS3. I think western support hedged better for Wii over GCN because the titles developed on it were worth a damn and developers put more effort on the Wii than the GCN porting. Either way arguing levels of abysmal western 3rd party support is rather trivial.
call of duty came out but wasnt that big, guitar hero was ps2 exclusive.
important multiplats not comming to gc include GTA, burn out 3 (2 sold well btw), black etc..
I believe GTA was exclusive to PS2 or at least it was for a substantial amount of time. I think Xbox eventually got a sa port.

I still have faith in Final Fantasy XV being released on current gen systems, and even Kingdom Hearts 3 too.

I'm still happy with my PS3, in fact, I bought a new one just 6 months ago since my old fat 40GB model broke.
I wonder if we'll see a situation similar to the Vita/PSP for Durango and Orbis where Japanese developers will keep making games for the PS360U well into 2014 because of budget/platform stability concerns.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
at the end of the day the world wide developer community consists of less than 100k people. most of those people probably think similarly to bad wolf (nintendo means no progress). thats why its possible that no company even tried to develop for wii despite it being the market leader.
the gaming industry does not seem to operate with economic principles (demand and supply) but rather with emotional bondings to certain companies. nintendo seems to be the common booman.

That would be an interesting study. If we had competent games journalists, I feel like we could actually get a report on such a thing. It would be interesting to read an ACTUAL ANALYSIS on the rhetoric used by publishers when discussing various hardware makers/publishers/developers. It could be offset by an economic analysis and the two could be put together to see if rhetoric and the market add up, or if it's complete bullshit like you are suggesting.

Unfortunately, even journalists adhere to those same lines that are drawn across the industry. Video games often seem to be such an incompetent industry. It would be nice to see someone take up that study.

Anth0ny

Precisely. Gamecube's third-party support was far worse than the Wii's: the 'cube got a handful of multiplatform games, mostly ones aimed at a younger audience, but was barely supported by even the biggest publishers. The Wii missed out on most multiplatform games, but got a pretty good number of strong exclusives. Neither were exactly good, but the Wii definitely edged it.

GC got some of the greatest Capcom games ever made and THPS3. Wii doesn't even come close.

Takao

Banned
why? cant he have his opinion? also what exactly do we know of ps4, 720? i know i have no information at the moment.

Personally, I'm a bit miffed because he's a Metal Gear fan. Metal Gear NEXT ain't gonna be on Wii U, lol. At best it gets ports of what we currently know of, and even that's not guaranteed.

farnham

Banned

i have doubts they will finish versus 13 this gen

JaseMath

This would put worldwide lifetime launch sales around 775,000 (a rough estimate of NA, EU, and JPN numbers; some guesswork for Austrailia and S.America).

Nintendo has still has a long, long way to go if they want to hit that 2 million figure by January 2013. Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Yes, this is why Konami has announced MGSV, Ground Zeroes, Rising, Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2, PES, Pro Yakuya Spirits, and Power Pros for Wii U. They're giving it their all. Wait, none of those games have a Wii U version announced. Whoops.

Wii U will get PES Playmaker WU, Power Pros and that's probably it from Konami. Kojima already gave it the "I'd have to design a game around the Wii U" kiss of death.
It'll also probably getting a LOS2 port and Deca Sports 4 and maybe some other random stuff. Pretty much all it's going to miss out on is Kojima.

It might get PES before Vita does too. :3

gogogow

This would put worldwide lifetime sales around 775,000 (a rough estimate of NA, EU, and JPN numbers; some guesswork for Austrailia and S.America).

Nintendo has still has a long, long way to go if they want to hit that 2 million figure by January 2013. Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

What EU numbers do we have? Must have missed them.

Top Bottom