• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Retail Games Arriving Early

I took a picture of a ps3 game side by side with a Wii U game but its hard to see the difference by photo or even by eye. When you hold the disc you will notice it is thicker or more rounded. It just feels better and less fragile lol. Just a minor thing.

a5fe164c9b7d4eec2c507a9c00f91853.jpg

Next gen disc quality confirmed.

Ok we have another example, this time not even the consumer's fault. Seriously, they need to abandon these terrible things and collectively look for a better, more sensible place to save on costs/reduce waste. Or at least try to adapt the 3DS grid thing to these cases, then you'd have a sort of net rather than giant holes.

Just the main reason to be careful about those "bargain bin" games you find in stores. Make sure the package is not already opened(disc swapped out) and be careful of cracked discs.

beril

And I tend to think of whether the savings really are worth it. Cart based games, it's not a big deal and youd can make good use of the 3DS holes for the design (too bad NoA doesn't give a shit, tries it once with Kid Icarus then abandons it again), but with discs? ESPECIALLY in this way? It's like the packaging equivalent of chainmail bikinis, except penny pinching instead of fan service.

Tend to think if you want to save on plastic you're far better off just making the cases as thin as you can while still being strong, and focus more on getting rid of stuff like unnecessary packaging materials for consoles, and on a society level ditching stuff like plastic bags. Basically focus on the stuff that's MEANT to be thrown out first.

Plastic bags are convenient and therefore really hard to get rid of. Some holes in a game cover won't affect sales. Say these covers use 10 grams less plastic than a solid cover. There will probably be a few 100 million WiiU games sold in the next 5 years. That's thousands tons of plastic right there. Not enough to save the world, but it would be wasteful not to do it; though they could obviously reduce it more.

Roo

Because I absolutely loved AC II and Batman AA?

Didn't they say the Wii U version of B:AC looks worse than the PS360 version?
I'm still not sure if all the gamepad funcionalities are worth the price...
In the other hand, it has all the previous DLC from the other two
decisions...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Plastic bags are convenient and therefore really hard to get rid of. Some holes in a game cover won't affect sales. Say these covers use 10 grams less plastic than a solid cover. There will probably be a few 100 million WiiU games sold in the next 5 years. That's thousands tons of plastic right there. Not enough to save the world, but it would be wasteful not to do it; though they could obviously reduce it more.

You're awesome.

1) That Madden cover is still so f**king stupid looking lol. Seriously.

2) Recycle crap cover, please follow the 3DS design and make it a row of squares, sorta a 'net' type thing as it looks much better and doesn't make the case feel as flimsy.

I really hate that they do this but if it is about the environment as opposed to using that BS as an excuse for some penny pinching (which I always just assume is the case) then thats ok.

3) New disc sounds cool and I'm really interested to 'feel' it out now. Good job Nintendo!

*keeps waiting*

Eusis

Well, we ARE moving more towards reusable bags, and it does add up, I can't deny that. But I still think it's a matter of where it has more long term use, and given plastic's effect on the environment it's best to curb as much disposable use as possible, and game cases are nowhere near plastic bags or drinking cups for that.

Unfortunately, what I think would work best obviously isn't what will be implemented for many reasons. Cutting manuals to "save paper" only to get piles of junk every week in the mail, yet at least the circulars help pay for our postal service, and similarly everyone's using plastic bags with the only alternatives being paper and a bag you need to remember to bring in with you. I suppose they could just ban plastic bags entirely in the long run, though at the very least it'd be nice to dump that ecobox design then look for another, grid/net based design where damage is far less likely to reach the disc. And also keeps the case from feeling too frail, 3DS cases are awesoe in that they save a lot of plastic yet don't actually FEEL overly cheap.

Effect

Now to decide if I'll stick with Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (not getting from NewEgg now) or get Mass Effect 3 (concerned there won't be an online community for the multiplayer and I'm really interested in that) when I pick up the system.

I hope things work out well with Assassin's Creed 3 for those getting it. The bugs reported in the other versions put me off that title. Especially since Ubisoft has repeated that the Wii U version will be exactly the same as the others. I'm assuming the bugs will be there as well and there still isn't a patch in sight for the PS3/360 versions.

Dog, you probably look at that part of the box for a collective total of 42 seconds during the course of your life.

The holes actually make the cover insert indent over time & it truly sucks.

Fact.

I'm a collector so this bothers me. When I keep my shit mint, it should stay mint. Squeeze these cases in between other cases on a shelf, come back in 3 months and see what happens.

Yea I wouldn't plan on it. I know I took advantage of the deal but if I get them before the 20th I'm a happy camper. It's not like I'm going to get much play time on anything till the weekend after anyway.

I wouldn't plan on getting them by the 20th from Newegg. Their videogame pre-order fulfillment sucks. Expect the games 6 - 7 days from release date, add on a day if its a Sunday release. Hell the Paper Mario I ordered from them still hasn't shipped yet. Luckily it finally went into packaging tonight.

ElRenoRaven

I wouldn't plan on getting them by the 20th from Newegg. Their videogame pre-order fulfillment sucks. Expect the games 6 - 7 days from release date, add on a day if its a Sunday release. Hell the Paper Mario I ordered from them still hasn't shipped yet. Luckily it finally went into packaging tonight.

Um They've always been good for me. Got Halo 4 for example 2 days post launch date. Usually I do get them within 2 days of their release. That's with the free 3 day.

Drago

I know for a fact that Scribblenauts Unlimited is out tomorrow (Jackson said it himself on the GiantBomb QL), so I really hope NewEgg ships it out tomorrow.

I also have Sonic Racing preordered, but I'm pretty sure that Nov. 18 is the actual street date.

Um They've always been good for me. Got Halo 4 for example 2 days post launch date. Usually I do get them within 2 days of their release. That's with the free 3 day.

Count yourself super lucky. I have never gotten any pre-ordered game from them with in 2 days of release. Hell it's almost Tuesday here, and my Paper Mario still hasn't even shipped.

Here's the story for when the ecobox cases first came out for 360, part of it mentions Walmart having a score card with the mandate the entertainment industry reduce "all packaging" by 5% by 2013. That, and when companies start getting cheaper in manufacture/packaging Walmart is one of the first suspects in every case.

Interesting, thanks.

I do remember reading that due to their trade lobbying they've helped weaken security when goods come through.

Effect

I think it depends how close you are to their warehouses. I'm in Pennsylvania and they have one in New Jersey. I've gotten some things the very next day after they've shipped out. However depending where that warehouse is I don't expect that this time.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

It's probably because of the Sunday release. They are kind of hit and miss with that, sometimes they ship out the friday prior, but apparently my paper mario hasn't been shipped yet. Doesn't bother me though, their pre-order deals have been ridiculously good these past months. That and free 3 day shipping on most orders (plus no tax in texas) has really made them my go to retailer.

Valnen

Well, we ARE moving more towards reusable bags, and it does add up, I can't deny that.

Some places are. Wal Mart tried here, they got rid of plastic bags entirely and carried only reusable bags. It seems consumers wouldn't have it and the plastic bags came back.

I work at Best Buy and an associate from gaming told me that games were going to be available about a week before the console's launch. Before I said anything she said, "Weird, I know."

I wish they would make the cases smaller rather than just cutting out plastic.
Yeah, I would be down with a smaller case(ps3/3ds style), rather than the cheap looking cut outs. You can help the environment and save money, but I don't need to know every time I open my game up.

Diortem7

b7573dc0555b9d394f594eb9ba1e947a.jpg

Fucking HATE this

I hate eco cases too. My copy of Galaxy 2 has a huge scratch on it because of the case. I'm very protective of my games and keep them in mint condition so this really irked me. I ended up buying a bunch of regular Wii cases to replace them back when Nintendo made the switch. Sadly, I won't be able to do that this time, but if the Wii U discs do have a protective layer then I will feel a little better about the eco cases.

Dartastic

I'm buying my copy of Zombi U at the store then returning my sealed NewEgg copy.

Nilaul

...and then you find out that your WiiU is delayed due to stock issues and you have to wait another 2 weeks for the next batch, you have nothing but the WiiU disks to look at.

That would one epic troll from fate.

Soul_Pie

So whose got the biggest collection yet? Any good manuals in amongst the games?

Must feel strange holding on to these games having to wait for the console to hit.

I suppose it gives you time to look at the art and the yucky looking recylable plastic containers.

Top Bottom