• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

Would you guys like for Link's sword swipes to match you swiping your fingers on the screen? What I think would be cool is that the sword attack is assigned to a button BUT you have the option to swipe with the screen.

disap.ed

Would you guys like for Link's sword swipes to match you swiping your fingers on the screen? What I think would be cool is that the sword attack is assigned to a button BUT you have the option to swipe with the screen.

There should have ALWAYS been an option for Buttons / Classic Controller already with the Wii!

darthdago

Dear NeoGAF members finally I'm allowed to post.
Hello to everyone here, I'm from good old Germany!!
I do follow this thread for a long time but IMAO it has lost the track a bit...
What I mean is there is less speculation and less rumors...

Now I would like to start with my guess/speculation about the Wii U -> and please if someone knows about the technical aspects please help me to understand why something is maybe not possible...

Long time I have thought about the upcoming new 3 HD brothers and what they have to reach.
They only have to reach 1080p maximum and anything that is inbetween 720 to 1080p.
Then that will even be a big step from the actual generation.
(PS360 mostly were sub HD except some few games)

A lot of members here have given possible specs for the Wii U...
If I for example take bgassassins prediction.
So, what would be wrong with that?
I think with these specs the developers can produce some nice stuff which will most of the time reach the desired 1080p
If they programming some stuff with 900p e.g. the Wii U only need a good upscaler like it is in the 360 by now.

What I mean is it should normally not matter if there is some iteration of the R700 series in the Wii U and a newer one in the PS4/720.
They (the gpus) are all able to output graphics beyond what is 1080p on a PC...the only thing differs is the things a developer can add as a plus!
But on consoles each gpu will have a cut at 1080p output at the moment.

Longer ago I was also reading some things about Nintendo cheapening on Wii U -> Why?
You all have to remember that Iwata himself stated that they consider with the Wii U to sell it with a loss.
So my (and many others) pricetag would be 400,– Euros consider that they sell it with a loss and the system would normally cost 450,– to be on +/- level!!

So now I would like to ask the other way around to someone (maybe bgassassin) who might now the truth.
If the whole price should be 450,– Euros to make it even and I minus 100,– Euros for the controller there is 350 Euros left. For that 350,– Euros what kind of hardware could possibly packed inside the box?

e.g.
Quad core @ 3,4 Ghz/core
something like the RV790 XT with reduced 700 - 800Mhz
512 MB eDRAM for CPU alone
1,5 GB GDDR5 for GPU alone

its only a guess, so would that be possible with 350,– Euros??

I hope I have not confused ppl cos I confused myself as writing all that...
But would be nice if someone could tell me if that would be possible.

(Maybe one reason of Nintendo silence is really cos they want to blowout a "monster" which is even better than anyone can think of now)

Maybe they could also use a gpu from evergreenseries like Juniper XT or Cypress XT both gpus came out in late 2009 if I'm not mistaken and they are 40nm production...

MYE

There should have ALWAYS been an option for Buttons / Classic Controller already with the Wii!

Unless that option handicaps de development and integration of motion controls in any way.

As soon as they have to hold back ideas meant for motion technology to accommodate classic controller controls, that option should not exist. Whatever your opinion of SS might be, the game is what it is because they were not chained to generic pad control layout to try and please everyone.

IrishNinja

they don't need a rebranding; again, all they need is a logo.

EtvVX.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CoD with enhanced gameplay elements, better graphics and the Upad for greater control and team play . . . . guaranteed to pick up some hardcore crowd if they get this out in November.

CoD's greatest strength is online and the unified structure of LIVE and PSN. CoD might be a guaranteed cash cow, but trying to wrestle the fanbase away from their comfort zone would be a nightmare. Just as people still buy Call of Duty for the Wii people will buy it for the Wii U. But the 'hardcore', the millions upon millions who buy and play the shit out of every iteration? They're happy with their existing gamer tag, record, friends list and achievements.

MDX

What would be the reason for that?

I think Nintendo will push for a small form factor.
They want to focus more on the controller than the console itself.

Just like iphones, ipads, etc. they want to various iterations of the Wii, with
only cosmetic changes.

Imagine you take the Wii out of its stand, and just replace it with the newer WiiU, which compatable with all the Wii controllers, peripherals & games. Check the box.

disap.ed

Unless that option handicaps de development and integration of motion controls in any way.

As soon as they have to hold back ideas meant for motion technology to accommodate classic controller controls, that option should not exist. Whatever your opinion of SS might be, the game is what it is because they were not chained to generic pad control layout to try and please everyone.

I haven't opened my copy of SS so far, so I can't say anything about that, but the lack of CC support on TP and DKCR was actually quite irritating.

HotD would have been much better with CC support, right?

Come on, I didn't say that CC is always the better option, just that there should be the option (and HotD actually has DS support on PS3)

tsab

I think Nintendo will push for a small form factor.
They want to focus more on the controller than the console itself.

Just like iphones, ipads, etc. they want to various iterations of the Wii, with
only cosmetic changes.

Imagine you take the Wii out of its stand, and just replace it with the newer WiiU, which compatable with all the Wii controllers, peripherals & games. Check the box.

THAT MAKES SENSE!
We have seen compatible wiimotes(+) and their peripherals, sensor bar uses the same plug, probably the psu too (don't know about the voltage though), same video cables...

it was there all along but you sir blew my mind!

Nessus

Yes.
It's asymmetrical gameplay and it's already been demoed.
Such as:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ESOxPIOF10

Huh.

I didn't really know what this game was about before but it actually looks like it has the potential to be quite fun. Even more so if they include decent online, 2 commanders, 2 FPS players.

Sorta wish they'd gone with a better IP for it, like a serious alien invasion thing more like the tone of X-Com, but whatever.

tsab

I haven't opened my copy of SS so far, so I can't say anything about that, but the lack of CC support on TP and DKCR was actually quite irritating.

Come on, I didn't say that CC is always the better option, just that there should be the option (and HotD actually has DS support on PS3)

Also Timecrisis. But they "have" to because the move is not the standard control of the PS3,
Wiimote IS for the Wii though.

Do you think the Wii would have been as popular if Wii Sports had have had a CC option? Certain games support a particular control system & taking time to add alternative controls in the name of "options" isn't a good use of resources.

A list like that makes me think Nintendo will launch in September and stagger the release schedule in conjunction with developers for a steady stream of games all the way to Christmas.

This would be one hell of a launchwindow lineup. In fact it would probably be dangerous for publishers as they would be canibalizing the market early on. Still, I expect the Wii U launch to be vastly better and supported than both the Wii amd 3DS launch.

CoD's greatest strength is online and the unified structure of LIVE and PSN. CoD might be a guaranteed cash cow, but trying to wrestle the fanbase away from their comfort zone would be a nightmare. Just as people still buy Call of Duty for the Wii people will buy it for the Wii U. But the 'hardcore', the millions upon millions who buy and play the shit out of every iteration? They're happy with their existing gamer tag, record, friends list and achievements.

Well cod elite is there for a reason. Activision is well aware about all the potential e-penis stats and with a plattform like elite, migrating players to their service rather than having them bound to a manufacturer service is going to be a powerfull tool for them. And if Nintendo is really playing the publishers bitch when it comes to the WiiU online, then I expect them to push the plattform immensely.

Realistically though, we're probably looking at one of the most consumer unfriendly systems to ever come into existence. EA be praised!

wsippel

Banned
THAT MAKES SENSE!
We have seen compatible wiimotes(+) and their peripherals, sensor bar uses the same plug, probably the psu too (don't know about the voltage though), same video cables...

it was there all along but you sir blew my mind!
It's not the same PSU. Voltage is most likely the same, wattage probably isn't.

royalan

If Wii U multiplattform games do look significantly better than their PS360 counterparts, isn't there a risk that developers will simply use Wii U footage for all trailers etc, effectivly hiding the graphical advantage for the big masses?

I'm afraid of this too. Afraid of this and the fact that, since console exclusivity is pretty much a dead art, even if 3rd parties support the Wii U with all of their major titles, they probably won't put much effort into making them look significantly beyond the PS360 versions, at least not in a way that'll be immediately noticeable to the masses.

This is why Nintendo needs to do to things.

1) Really focus on core gamers at the start and have top teams working on visually impressive games. Release a few family-friendly titles, but other than that the casuals can wait (they're busy sucking the teet of Kinect right now anyway). Nintendo needs to establish right at the start that the Wii U hardware is undeniably next gen if they want to tempt gamers, and until the other next gen consoles come out (and arguably even for a few years after), Nintendo is going to be the only developer with incentive to really try to fully utilize the Wii U.

2) Moneyhat, moneyhat, moneyhat.

I just want to see some Nintendo produced games in HD. It's been close to 7 years in the making, we've all waited long enough dammit. I don't understand this insistence to wait until e3 to show anything new off. Why don't they let 3rd party publishers take precedence there and then do their own show like they used to?

jkanownik

Not to mention the Wii U controller they've shown doesn't feel very comfortable for playing shooters. I play a lot of competitive MP in console shooters and when you're playing for 2+ hours at a time the feel of the controller is very important. At E3 the Wii U controller felt very uncomfortable. It made me think Nintendo didn't test it at all with more core shooter fans. There's a huge difference between casually playing shooters and really getting into the competitive multiplayer. It was so uncomfortable that if it isn't fixed there is no way I'm playing a shooter on the Wii.

So let talk about 3rd partys will it be same as Wii? where 3rd party turn they back on a monster hit and put B teams on a port for it? I still don't get what 3rd partys where waiting for

AzaK

Not to mention the Wii U controller they've shown doesn't feel very comfortable for playing shooters. I play a lot of competitive MP in console shooters and when you're playing for 2+ hours at a time the feel of the controller is very important. At E3 the Wii U controller felt very uncomfortable. It made me think Nintendo didn't test it at all with more core shooter fans. There's a huge difference between casually playing shooters and really getting into the competitive multiplayer. It was so uncomfortable that if it isn't fixed there is no way I'm playing a shooter on the Wii.
Just use it for a while until Nyko release the UGamer Pad Pro. :p

Boerseun

Banned
What the hell xD They are using two uPads on the same game... Why have we speculated for so long if the console will support two pads?

Only the ignorant have been speculating. It's been known since the E3 reveal that the console supports multiple tablets. Heck, there was even a Tekken demo running three tablets at the same time, one for each fighter and a third for an observer.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Heh. With RE2, they had one of the more impressive CD->cart ports.

That wasn't as much Capcom as it was Angel Studios' magical compression method, pretty impressive to fit a 2 disc CD-rom game on a 512mbit cartridge

Anyone else hoping the Wii-U will have Dreamcast games on the VC?

That would be sweet, I always wanted to try Jet Set/Grind Radio

Edit:

You were at E3? And used the controller? I thought a lot of game industry people (I refuse to call them journalists) said it was very light and comfortable, not at all what you're describing.

Then again that's not as weird as people thinking the Duke was a comfortable and good controller (That's crazy talk)

Penguin

So let talk about 3rd partys will it be same as Wii? where 3rd party turn they back on a monster hit and put B teams on a port for it? I still don't get what 3rd partys where waiting for

Well the Wii U has to become a hit.

And this will sound like delusions, but I feel like if the Wii U has a rocky start a lot of developers will use that as an excuse to wait and see where the market goes. And not talking like a bad first year, more like bad first 3-4 months.

Terrell

You've actually held one? If so, you're like... the first person ever on the internet to say it sucked after actually holding one. To Giant Bomb with you to write the first scathing editorial!

Boerseun

Banned

Are you the only person claiming the controller felt uncomfortable? Everyone else has noted how comfortable it feels. And of course Wii U will still support he Wii Remote and Nunchuck, which this gen has taught me is the only way to play FPS.

wsippel

Banned
Useless information: A ton of middleware started supporting the Wii U in late November/ early December 2011. The most recent SDK back then was 1.9.1.

Well the Wii U has to become a hit.

And this will sound like delusions, but I feel like if the Wii U has a rocky start a lot of developers will use that as an excuse to wait and see where the market goes. And not talking like a bad first year, more like bad first 3-4 months.

Cant see it being a Monster hit like Wii was, and yeah I think they will just give us the bs about waiting or moan that Big N 1st party's are to strong

Maybe it will do as well as 360 (ps im not just talking about USA only) but it really down to games really hope it dont get a PS3 start

Lenardo

Banned
In the end it all comes does to price, availability and games

if the price is right (under 300 imo) they have plenty of the units and the game selection is ANYTHING like that list above (and i am sure there will be more than that), then i think the WiiU will sell very will.

me? i'll be getting one, i just have to get a new tv for the living room (it is weird but that is the only room that does NOT have an HD tv, i have 3 kids we have 4 HD tv's(all 720p), one in each bedroom. the other tv's are all standard def, Hell my HD tv is a Tube 32" tv..weighs a about 90lbs....) tv for the living room is going to be a ~55" unit.....

royalan

Interesting that you think so. Glad you're being honest.

I know a lot of people have written previews saying the uPad is comfortable to hold, but I find it very hard to trust these previews because a lot of people said the same thing about the 3DS in previews...and well, that thing's not comfortable at all, especially if you have large hands. Lots of "industry people" are honest about that now...

The uPad borrows too many design cues from the 3DS for me to not be skeptical. I'm hoping it gets a redesign.

rhoq

Cant see it being a Monster hit like Wii was

I can't see it either, unless it launches at $249 - which I don't think is even a possibility. $299, maybe - but $349 is the most probable. People are suffering financially and will find it hard to justify the expense of buying a new console, accessories and games, which would be $500+ when all is said and done.

In the end it all comes does to price, availability and games

if the price is right (under 300 imo) they have plenty of the units and the game selection is ANYTHING like that list above (and i am sure there will be more than that), then i think the WiiU will sell very will.

A $299 (or less) launch would be my sweet spot. Otherwise, I will wait for a price drop before I bite.

Penguin

Interesting that you think so. Glad you're being honest.

I know a lot of people have written previews saying the uPad is comfortable to hold, but I find it very hard to trust these previews because a lot of people said the same thing about the 3DS in previews...and well, that thing's not comfortable at all, especially if you have large hands. Lots of "industry people" are honest about that now...

The uPad borrows too many design cues from the 3DS for me to not be skeptical. I'm hoping it gets a redesign.

So essentially.. you'll go along with any impressions that justifies what you want to believe. (not saying either side is right or wrong)

But sounds like confirmation bias.

birdchili

without a "Wii Sports" WiiU won't bust out of the gate like Wii did. Nintendo has shown some neat ideas for U, but nothing as intuitive and compelling as Sports...

i do think that if they can get all of the third party games, it'll be a very compelling proposition mid-gen, even after more powerful systems are released. assuming no huge surprises from sony/ms, i think the ucontroller has some nice advantages (i know lots of folk that would take lower quality visuals in exchange for "play it in the same room on the pad while Sue watches tv").

if they can't secure all the third party games they'll have a terrible time getting wii-like sales at any point based on what we've seen so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom