• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the article presents nothing new.
that's kind of the point though. The same things that this IGN article mentions has been mentioned by all of us here, and also a ton of other websites. It just goes to show how obvious the things that Nintendo need to do are, and it's interesting to see whether or not they "get it". I'm not saying "nintendo lol stupid", I'm just saying, come E3, it'll be really interesting to see whether or not they got what they needed to do or not. It will say a lot about Nintendo.

IrishNinja

you guys pushing for a summer launch - what are the pluses there? besides us getting it sooner, i mean.
because fall seems safer in general - black friday/holiday spending while you still have launch hype and media attention.

you guys pushing for a summer launch - what are the pluses there? besides us getting it sooner, i mean.
because fall seems safer in general - black friday/holiday spending while you still have launch hype and media attention.
the main benefit is that the earlier you release the faster you can build a base, the bigger the base the higher the holiday sales will be, the higher the holiday sales the higher the momentum.

ReyVGM

I'm not a big Pokemon fan, but am I the only one that would love a Wii U Pokemon RPG, with the story and locations of the anime (1st season) and Ni no Kuni type graphics?

I'm taking the 35th of October.
Thursdayton biatches

Also most anticipated Wii U launch game from a third party: Far Cry 3 *fingers crossed*

Just realized the bolded lol.....Im leaving it like that.

In terms of North American dates?

Week of August 23rd. The date the Super Nintendo Entertainment System launched in North America.

OR... November 19. Same release date as the Wii in North America, 1 day out from the release date of Nintendo Gamecube, and dead on the 6 year anniversary of the Wii.

I hope it's as early as possible. Hook it to my veins.

It will allow Nintendo to sell the first batch to diehards like us and then replenish stock for the Holiday rush when word starts to spread about how awesome it is. Will also allow whatever big third-party holiday releases get a Wii U version to not be completely overshadowed by first-party launch software.

udivision

I'm not a big Pokemon fan, but am I the only one that would love a Wii U Pokemon RPG, with the story and locations of the anime (1st season) and Ni no Kuni type graphics?

It's pretty amazing how Nintendo hasn't been able to use their consoles to cash in on the Pokemon craze in any meaningful way.

As I mentioned before it's for them to maximize their lead time against the other consoles.

Other than that, "we" would be the ones buying it so you really don't need the media attention as we already know about it. And we'll have hype from E3 (well we already have it :p).

IrishNinja

the main benefit is that the earlier you release the faster you can build a base, the bigger the base the higher the holiday sales will be, the higher the holiday sales the higher the momentum.

momentum's good, but as i was saying in the vita thread: nintendo's a goddamn anomally in that they can regain it later. they botched price/lineup at 3DS launch, turned that ship around 1 proper mario and 1 mario kart later.
they could honestly fuck it up again and fix shit with animal crossing and pokemon, you know? though, granted, opiate/others would say momentum and market perception are made early on, and the latter is really important if nintendo's going to get the audiences it clearly wants this time.

It will allow Nintendo to sell the first batch to diehards like us and then replenish stock for the Holiday rush when word starts to spread about how awesome it is. Will also allow whatever big third-party holiday releases get a Wii U version to not be completely overshadowed by first-party launch software.

okay, getting big 1st party stuff up front at launch (trickling more in by the holidays) but giving 3rd parties a window, that might be pretty smart if timed well.

As I mentioned before it's for them to maximize their lead time against the other consoles.

Other than that, "we" would be the ones buying it so you really don't need the media attention as we already know about it. And we'll have hype from E3 (well we already have it :p).

what're current next box expectations, summer/fall of 2013? yeah, i can see this point too - getting your foot in the door early. i kept thinking current ps3/360 sales weren't bad, but NPD thread makes it seem like they're dropping off.

momentum's good, but as i was saying in the vita thread: nintendo's a goddamn anomally in that they can regain it later. they botched price/lineup at 3DS launch, turned that ship around 1 proper mario and 1 mario kart later.
they could honestly fuck it up again and fix shit with animal crossing and pokemon, you know? though, granted, opiate/others would say momentum and market perception are made early on, and the latter is really important if nintendo's going to get the audiences it clearly wants this time.
it's not that simple though, they had to go BALLS out to fix the 3DS fuck up, and they are taking MASSIVE losses because of it aren't they? Why not profit off of the hardcore gamers as soon as possible and build some kind of base. Yeah the NPDs won't be pretty (or maybe it will be) but contrary to forum belief, companies care more about the bottom line than the NPDs at any given month (though they do usually go hand in hand).

Terrell

So is anyone here actually expecting Nintendo to finally "get it" this time? And by get it I mean:
--competitively powerful hardware
--No alienating formats
-- a competent online structure and online store
--third party support

and all of the above at the same time. I dunno. It seems like nintendo hasn't "gotten" it since the SNES days. I think some of this WiiU stuff sounds too good to be true. Hate to say it but some times I feel like there is a caveat to nintendo's home consoles.

1 and 2 are pretty much a lock, as far as I'm concerned.

3 and 4 are the tricky ones.

Online is looking a hundred times better than it did in any previous iteration, but there's so much left unsaid about it. What we have heard should quell any doubts that they don't "get it", though.
But some people will NEVER be satisfied, so brace yourself for that. For instance, the people calling for an end to the friend code, even if it's a code universal to all games, are the same people who piss and moan about how difficult it is to change the name on a gamer tag on XBL, despite a friend code system allowing for gamer tags to be changed as little or as often as you want, since the network backend only gives a crap about your friend code.

As for 3rd-party support, that will depend on how far out front Nintendo can get of Sony and MS before they release, but it's already looking great by comparison to Wii, and even Gamecube in some respects.

I said it in another thread and I will say it here: the early sales leader is the platform that DEFINES a generation of consoles. This early sales lead usually leads sales through the whole generation, but consider this another aspect of this industry that Wii sort of screwed with. (anyone can feel free to dispute this, I got plenty of ammunition on this claim). If WiiU gets that good headstart, it will take that trophy from the Xbox 360 and set a tone for the next 5 years.

You listed eastern titles though. I'm talking about Bioshock, Half Life, GTA V, and all the other major third party titles that will be released from now until the end of the generation. I want all of the specific games I listed btw.

You must be new to Western developers. Even before the HD era, they multi-platformed every game under the sun. It's just how they work. Wii was the exception due to the discrepancy in the console's output. Expect nothing different once they have a system comparable to the others.

MDX

Capture as many AAA cross platform games in its launch window.
Im sure if Nintendo made deals with publishers for games, they want to maximize
sales for them.

Work out some hardware or software bugs prior to big holiday sales.

Anyway, Reggie said 2012 was the year of the WiiU, cant have much of a year if your console launches at the very end of the year.

Log4Girlz

I wonder what lessons they'll implement from the 3DS launch with the Wii U. I suspect they are polishing the fuck out of some killer launch game.

RedSwirl

Does anyone expect CoD to be burned like Guitar Hero was? I'm afraid at the pace Activision is relasing them, I totally expect it to happen in the next gen, though not as fast.

I love CoD, for the record.

When next gen get's started up, some other new IP will probably come out, do moderately well as one of the only decent launch games, and then a couple years later (probably 2015) its sequel will dethrone COD. That's basically what COD did to Halo.

MDX

I wonder what lessons they'll implement from the 3DS launch with the Wii U. I suspect they are polishing the fuck out of some killer launch game.

Considering how lackluster Wii's support has been of late, one would assume so. I wonder how many other internal titles besides Pikmin went from being a Wii game to a WiiU game.

Akai

Considering how lackluster Wii's support has been of late, one would assume so. I wonder how many other internal titles besides Pikmin went from being a Wii game to a WiiU game.

I'm hoping the Fatal Frame 2 remake is one of them. The Wii U tablet is a perfect match for the Camera Obscura...

RedSwirl

I said it in another thread and I will say it here: the early sales leader is the platform that DEFINES a generation of consoles. This early sales lead usually leads sales through the whole generation, but consider this another aspect of this industry that Wii sort of screwed with. (anyone can feel free to dispute this, I got plenty of ammunition on this claim). If WiiU gets that good headstart, it will take that trophy from the Xbox 360 and set a tone for the next 5 years.

This needs to be Nintendo's strategy, and I know it's been said here before. If it is indeed within porting range of Sony's and Microsoft's next gen machines, then at best it could become the "PS2" of next gen. Nintendo just has to convince consumers that the system is indeed next gen. I'm a bit afraid that might not happen if too many of the games look the same as 360 and PS3 games.

The only time when the early launch wasn't successful was the Dremacast, and that was really just due to a perfect storm of Sega's financials, EA's decision not to support them, and a bunch of other crap.

MDX

Sorry but you're not giving much of an argument to support that scenario. It's too convoluted to say not doing it is lazy. The second question doesn't make sense since Madden has always been played with "regular controllers" and this is a new, unique situation. Now you have the ability to select plays from your own screen and you really think that sounds logical to have a person select their play and then hand the controller over to select their play? Anybody can envision that and acknowledge two Upads are better.

This is not an argument of what is better or worse, this is about expectation.

In fact, developers will have to assume there will be only one uPad per console, especially the first couple of years. Due to buying a second will most likely be expensive, and not everyone owning a WiiU to bring a uPad over to another's house. So they should design control schemes supporting one uPad. So regardless if Madden supports one pad or two, the game must be designed to be as fun to play sharing the pad. That means also focusing on motion controls.

Question, did motion controls add anything extra to a game like Madden? It sure did for PES.

The other issue is having your cake and eating too. On the one hand, many Wii lovers do not want developers to stop supporting the Wiimote. On the other hand, Wii lovers are pushing for multiple uPads to be supported. Well if uPads become dominate, forget about motion controls evolving outside of Nintendo.

Terrell

This needs to be Nintendo's strategy, and I know it's been said here before. If it is indeed within porting range of Sony's and Microsoft's next gen machines, then at best it could become the "PS2" of next gen. Nintendo just has to convince consumers that the system is indeed next gen. I'm a bit afraid that might not happen if too many of the games look the same as 360 and PS3 games.

The only time when the early launch wasn't successful was the Dremacast, and that was really just due to a perfect storm of Sega's financials, EA's decision not to support them, and a bunch of other crap.

Well, Dreamcast really doesn't fit the mold, either. Neither did the Saturn, the other early launch system, for reasons that are easy to understand. Being first with meagre sales isn't enough, you have to establish a clear lead from that position of first mover.
Mega Drive/Genesis ALMOST achieved that (hence why that era was so heated between it and the SNES), but the industry was totally ruled by Japan at the time, so poor sales there led to less games that appealed to the gaming crowd in those days. (thankfully, not something Nintendo has to worry about at all)

Convincing people it's next gen will just take a 1080p 60fps Nintendo title. And that won't be hard to do.

Wolfie5

Like I said before, September is my bet and I am sticking by it. For US/EU I mean.

After listing all these games, I wouldn´t count out late August. (One reason Nintendo doesn´t want 3rd party to mention if their games are coming for Wii U too, might be that it would be easy to figure out if the Wii U launch beeing early(as in summer) than late 2012.)

Here is the breakdown on my guesses on release games for Wii U Sep-Dec.

Launch (September month)
Pikmin 3
Nintendo new IP
Nintendo known IP
Nintendo game that appeals to everyone (like Wii sports did)
Racing game (maybe Dirt, that was shown at Wii U games reel at E3)
Killer Freaks from outer space
Fighting Game(Dead or Alive 5 or a Tekken game)
Madden NFL 13
Ubisoft Multi-sports game
Batman Arkham City
Ninja Gaiden 3
Darksiders 2
Fifa 13

October
New Metroid game (please)
Ghost Recon Online
Aliens Colonial Marines
Assassins Creed 3 (most likely)
Medal of Honor 2 (most likely)
Rabbids game
Lego City Stories (confirmed to launch this year)

November
3D Mario game (most likely)
Next Call of Duty (safe bet)
Resident Evil 6 (likely)

December
Epic Mickey 2 (guess)

Note: Not counting unknown 3rd party games and DLC games.

If Nintendo does launch in the fall, then i think it will be pikmin, Mario and whatever proof of concept game they created for the controller and unknown features. I would imagine or hope they would save the new IPs if any and other first party release for the months afterward so there is at least something kinda big every month until holiday and they get to stand out more from under the heavy hitters shadows. As long as Mario is there, they can ride out the fall with third parties for sure.

MDX

If Nintendo does launch in the fall, then i think it will be pikmin

Ive got a feeling Pikmin will not be launched within the launch window.
They will show if off at E3 as a graphical showcase, like they did with SuperMarioGalaxy, but I dont see Miyamoto being rushed to bring it out for the launch. As a matter of fact, that whole incident last year when people thought Miyamato was retiring was probably to have him focus on Pikmin.

I mean, just making the transition from the Wii to the WiiU must of set them back. And with all that power that Miyamoto now has to make this game with, he probably is going to town expanding the game with his ideas. Who knows, they might be implementing some kind of online functionality as well.

I expect to see it mid to late 2013.

Wolfie5

Ive got a feeling Pikmin will not be launched within the launch window.
They will show if off at E3 as a graphical showcase, like they did with SuperMarioGalaxy, but I dont see Miyamoto being rushed to bring it out for the launch. As a matter of fact, that whole incident last year when people thought Miyamato was retiring was probably to have him focus on Pikmin.

I mean, just making the transition from the Wii to the WiiU must of set them back. And with all that power that Miyamoto now has to make this game with, he probably is going to town expanding the game with his ideas. Who knows, they might be implementing some kind of online functionality as well.

I expect to see it mid to late 2013.

I hope you are wrong

Watching the presentation of the japanese City video demo again, this application could have some huge uses:

Imagine a Videoservice (like Nintendo Video) Where you get new spherical video content automatically downloaded in the background.

You could do stuff like the recent Red Bull Hahnenkamm Ski Downhill video, some interior shots of massively expensive Cars (similar to Autovista but with real cars), spherical video tours of museums, exhibitions, landmarks, Expo Booths etc etc.

Imagine a sky diving video with full spherical video for you to enjoy. Documentaries of wild life. Live Webcam feeds from over the world with moutain ranges, cities etc.
Spherical trailers for upcoming games, you can choose to look at the action or stare at the floor for the entire trailer^^

This could be huge. Or at least I would absolutely love it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Like I said before, September is my bet and I am sticking by it. For US/EU I mean.

After listing all these games, I wouldn´t count out late August. (One reason Nintendo doesn´t want 3rd party to mention if their games are coming for Wii U too, might be that it would be easy to figure out if the Wii U launch beeing early(as in summer) than late 2012.)

Launch (September month)
Pikmin 3
Nintendo new IP
Nintendo known IP
Madden NFL 13
Batman Arkham City
Ninja Gaiden 3
Darksiders 2
Fifa 13

October
Ghost Recon Online
Aliens Colonial Marines
Rabbids game

November
Resident Evil 6 (likely)
Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games(easy guess)

December
Epic Mickey 2 (guess)

well, not bad.
I would purchase at least two launch titles and one game per month 'til the end of the year from that list.

I think that this is a very big issue, if the Wii-U release is simply a newer looking Wii with a touch screen and bunch of games the 360/PS3 have then it will be a shit storm for the Wii-U.

What Nintendo desperately needs to do is advertise their graphics heavy games as it's defining feature as well, not simply show a shoddy graphically superior up-port of the games 360/PS3 games. Advertising the console's power is what every other 'next-gen' system does to get those few first tech head people out of the gate. Without it, its not too rash to say the launch would not be as effective as any other 'next-gen' starting consoles as they pretty much all tout the power advantages of the 'next-gen' and not really the feature set.

I do realise in part it was price but see how the 3DS performed at launch, everyone thought it was simply a DS with 3D because of the advertising aimed primarily at it's feature set, not its graphical ability.

Advertising graphical ability is the best way in which to differentiate the Wii-U from a Wii as a 'next-gen' system so Nintendo should take that route instead of stalling out of the gate like the 3DS did.

spekkeh

Banned
Advertising graphical ability is the best way in which to differentiate the Wii-U from a Wii as a 'next-gen' system

That won't be too difficult. Don't you mean they need to differentiate from the xbox and ps3 in showing off their graphical prowess, because why would you pay at least €100 more to play the same games.

Wolfie5

They are not going to launch a Mario game for the Wii U this year.
They already have a Mario platformer planned for this year.

Well, they have to have something. What else would they have than? Zelda seems out of the question. They just released one on Wii and they are planning one Zelda game for 3DS.
Maybe Mario Kart?

Also, just remembered that sketching thing they showed at E3 on the Upad. Mario paint is a given in the list I made?

Well, they have to have something. What else would they have than? Zelda seems out of the question. They just released one on Wii and they are planning one Zelda game for 3DS.
Maybe Mario Kart?

Also, just remembered that sketching thing they showed at E3 on the Upad. Mario paint is a given in the list I made?

They don't need a huge mega hit at launch.
They need a couple of good games that will push the system along with the third party offerings.
They save Mario for next year when sales start to slip.

boyshine

November
Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games(easy guess)
After the olympics are over? No, this is Wii/3DS only. Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games will however most likely be a october 2013 Wii U + 3DS release.

Nintendo needs 3 things:
-Strong launch line-up with 1 Nintendo console seller (like Mario Kart) but also with third parties (not shovelware)
-Low price, between 250~299 dollars/euro
-Strong games announced for 1 year or 2.

Wolfie5

After the olympics are over? No, this is Wii/3DS only. Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games will however most likely be a october 2013 Wii U + 3DS release.

You are right. I made the list to quickly. I just looked at the release date, which was November 2011 and looked at the title of the game(which had 2012) and I mixed the dates :)

Wolfie5

They don't need a huge mega hit at launch.
They need a couple of good games that will push the system along with the third party offerings.
They save Mario for next year when sales start to slip.

Maybe the old Nintendo. But after the 3DS, I don´t think they will take any chances. I think there will be one huge mega hit game. Question is, what game will it be?

That won't be too difficult. Don't you mean they need to differentiate from the xbox and ps3 in showing off their graphical prowess, because why would you pay at least €100 more to play the same games.

That's exactly what i'm saying. i'm generalising about 'next-gen' systems as i'm not too sure how a casual view multi-plat 360 games vs. a good looking Wii game, eg. Skyward Sword or other artistically driven games on Wii.

However, Nintendo needs to show how different the graphic power from the Wii-U is compared to the current gen, rather than just showing videos of the game and implying it's graphical superiority.

I think that differing it from the current gen is the the 2nd half of the marketing problem Wii-U will face and by explicitly telling consumers about it's power compared to the other 360/PS3 is the easiest way to do that. Showing consumers the controller/screen is secondary as that is the most obvious change to the Wii-U.

Maybe the old Nintendo. But after the 3DS, I don´t think they will take any chances. I think there will be one huge mega hit game. Question is, what game will it be?

I'd guess that they save mega hits like Mario Kart for later, but start with Donkey Kong Country or something of the same calibre for launch, alongside some showcase game for the tablet (perhaps built in), 1st party-wise.

AppleBlade

Launch (September month)
Pikmin 3
Nintendo new IP
Nintendo known IP
Madden NFL 13
Batman Arkham City
Ninja Gaiden 3
Darksiders 2
Fifa 13

October
Ghost Recon Online
Aliens Colonial Marines
Rabbids game

November
Resident Evil 6 (likely)

December
Epic Mickey 2 (guess)

Personally I think it'll be a November launch and that a few of the rumored 3rd party titles will not make it.

However, if your scenario came true or close to true I will be very happy. Batman: AC, Darksiders 2, Assassin's Creed 3, Resident Evil 6, Ninja Gaiden 3, DiRT, the new Call of Duty, a solid fighting game plus whatever Nintendo puts out would probably end up making this the most awesome launch I've ever been a part of.

I know all of those games will be available on the other consoles but as a Nintendo fan who had no choice but to turn elsewhere for the big multi plats it feels good to be able to enjoy those games on a Nintendo platform again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom