• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
They have a Nintendo Direct in March, but I dunno how much Wii U info I'd expect.
The most recent episode was on the 21st of October last year: http://media.nintendo.com/nintendo/cocoon/noa3/video/nintendodirect/10-21-2011_mobile.mp4

It wouldn't actually be a bad decision for Nintendo to bring news through this. The first episode is very informative and of good length, and Reggie does as usual a good job (though I wonder why his chin looks so greasy). An edited recap from E3 2011 followed by a look at a select Wii U game could be interesting. The format fits most gamers and shouldn't be difficult for Nintendo to build attention for.

z0m3le

Banned
Which is why I'm afraid there will be plenty of lazy implementation of Wii U features, especially for ports. I think this 2 screen thing may be scary for devs, maybe not as much as motion controls once were though.

It basically just makes the Wii U a type of DS, same features really, except now the bottom screen can move independently from the top screen... (technically only matters if you are overlaying the bottom screen onto the top screen to see hidden items or something)

Besides, any direct ports would allow for subscreen only play, and I have to admit, I'll be picking up my Upad a lot and playing games without the tv even being on. (I have to assume that Nintendo knows this will be a primary feature and allow it from day 1)

Thanks Ace and Rösti for the info, I don't think it would be a bad idea, I mean we got a lot of information in the past directly from Nintendo without events, like 3DS was revealed before E3, and I believe it was the same with Wii's name. However we get the info, we should get something in march, and thats pretty good since E3 is really only like 3 and a half months from now.

NeoRausch

Which is why I'm afraid there will be plenty of lazy implementation of Wii U features, especially for ports. I think this 2 screen thing may be scary for devs, maybe not as much as motion controls once were though.
When devs can not handle two screens and the implemantation of both those screens onto one... Thenthey just not worth it.

Some devs will just port shit over and not even care about the tablet.
boy, i wouldn't even be surprised if some games just leave the screen plain black.

i'm still totally on fire about that feature!

Door2Dawn

Banned
I completely forgot about the streaming feature. That sound really cool,but wouldn't the game look terrible on the Upad screen since it isn't in HD?

Rösti;35274564 said:
If Nintendo doesn't reveal any new information about Wii U at GDC, I wonder what Reggie was referring to when he in interviews with CNN and GameTrailer at CES said they would share more information between then and E3. It's unlikely however that they won't bring any news to GDC, seeing the wonderful opportunities they are being given.

If we look at the roadmap of industry events Nintendo is attending, this is the rundown (of more prominent events anyway):

WonderCon
16th of March 2012 - 18th of March 2012

This show (which is connected to Comic-Con International) is mostly for comic books, major Hollywood movie studios and stars of comics, movies, and television. But there is a department for gaming as well. Last year 3DS was featured there in several ways. Exhibiting game companies include Nintendo, Capcom and Namco Bandai. This is a potential place for news.

http://comic-con.org/wc/

MCM Expo Birmingham
31st of March 2012 - 1st of April 2012

Nintendo itself isn't exhibiting here, but they sponsor the event, and there is usually much Nintendo merchandise (comic books, plush dolls etc.) for sale. Not expecting anything here.

http://www.birminghamcomiccon.com/

PAX East 2012
6th of April 2012 - 8th of April 2012

While exhibitors and sponsors are yet to be announced, it is extremely likely for Nintendo to exhibit here. Last year they had a fairly large booth where several games for 3DS were available for play, including Pokémon Black/White, Steel Diver and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. Many other gaming companies exhibit here as well, many of Nintendo's partners. A likely spot for news.

MCV Industry Excellence Awards 2012
19th of April 2012

This is an award show where new games aren't normally revealed, so I doubt we'll hear anything here. Nintendo (UK branch of Nintendo of Europe GmbH I suppose) has qualified as finalists in these categories: Games Publisher, Marketing Team, PR Team, Sales Team, Trade Marketing Team.

http://www.mcvawards.com/

MCM Expo Londo
25th of May 2012 - 27th of May 2012

This is the same format as the Birmingham event, but much bigger. And here we see multiple game companies, including Nintendo, Capcom, Microsoft, Tecmo Koei, Warner Bros. Interactive and more. For example, Nintendo showcased Xenoblade Chronicles last year at the event. Here I can see some kind of revelation regarding Wii U, though the chances are slim.

http://www.londonexpo.com/

I may have forgotten some events, but the above is what I have found listed. If you know of any more event Nintendo is attending, gimme a shout.

Now, they could of course distribute more information in a press release, just like they did when the Wii name was revealed on April 27th, 2006. I think however a simple press release wouldn't be enough. A theme site perhaps where new features are explained through articles, images and videos could be something. I doubt Nintendo wants to submit information in a surreptitious way after the confused turmoil that arose in conjunction with their media briefing at E3 2011. An inscrutable reveal of let's say a GPU based on ATI FirePro V9800 (this will never happen, it's just an example) would probably incite us readers of NeoGAF, but the mass market and the casual gamers would probably be disgruntled.

:O *claps* SUPERB post my friend! I hadn't heard of half of these, and amazing job at mentioning what happened at these events last year, VERY well done! :D

z0m3le

Banned
I completely forgot about the streaming feature. That sound really cool,but wouldn't the game look terrible on the Upad screen since it isn't in HD?

well the DPI is much higher, you shouldn't notice much of a difference, since the pixels will basically have so little space between them (thats what DPI means)

:O *claps* SUPERB post my friend! I hadn't heard of half of these, and amazing job at mentioning what happened at these events last year, VERY well done! :D

yeah Rösti is a forum posting God so far, he has made this thread legitimate, not that there aren't some other gods around, and maybe some assassins...

Rösti;35276305 said:
Ah, ok. Which was the most recent episode, I can't see any date information on that site? Well, except for the 12/27 video in conjunction with VGA.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/nintendo_direct/index.html

Yeah that was the last one, they announced Kiki Tori.

The opposite.
Since it's a lower resolution, it can add more AA.

Nah, he'll just do what we all do.
Clear our GAF cookie and F5 while thinking of great things to post, but unable to do so.
I'm sorry. I can't say I'm familiar with what you are saying. :p

Usually Nintendo rolls out the bad news before E3 like the Wii name so we can get used to it, so this time I think it might be the price :/

That would be an interesting idea, though I can't recall anyone releasing the price before giving full info.

Speaking about CPUs, I assume the rumor about IBM making 1 CPU for consoles and trying to sell it to Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony makes the most sense... I am pretty confident that Nintendo would buy a CPU that is being used by Xbox3, and I don't think Microsoft would have any real problem with it, as long as it can easily emulate 360... We know Wii U is easy to port from 360 games, so this wouldn't surprise me in the least... Sony however, will probably continue to push Cell, and maybe it's smart to do so, PS3 was under powered GPU wise, but it came out slightly more powerful thanks to Cell. -Does anyone know where this IBM rumor came from, I read it here in this thread or the previous one, maybe bg posted it? (since he does love IBM CPU talk)

btw, pretty sure Xbox3's hardware is pretty much locked in at this point, setting side very minor adjustments, they already have dev kits out if IGN is to be believed.

That was speculation by a poster from what I remember, not a rumor. And in all likelihood it would be the other way around as MS would probably buy a "bigger, better" version of what went in Wii U.

GPU getting the edram would be better, so that makes sense, I remember IBM or maybe it was a developer mentioning that the CPU had a lot of embedded memory though, and if it's shared between the cores, wouldn't it be L3 type memory? if it's Asymmetrically set up, I would imagine something like 8MB, 4MB for primary and 2MB for the others, seems like a 4core with a disabled CPU, but that just wouldn't make any sense, so I assume that we probably just need more info on the CPU to really work out what it is.

The current L2 target is 3MB, though that could be one of the things that got an increase. And yeah Nintendo doesn't seem to be the type to make components with disabled cores. Also going back to your other post, since I don't expect them to use GCN I've pretty much eliminated the idea of using a 28nm process. I see those two going hand in hand for future GPUs. In other words we won't see 28nm used for anything but GCN from AMD and vice versa. Making a 640-800 ALU GPU on a 32nm process sounds more logical based on my view.

Is this actually their most secretive console release yet? Or is it just me that's much less hyped about it than previous releases? (I'll get it launch day, no question about it, just not a nintendo fanboy anymore like I used to be). I mean we know about the wiipad/subscreen, and we've seen some techdemoes and some third party games that aren't even exclusive (just the experimental thing by Ubisoft). What else? Zilch. And it's going to be with us in eight till ten months time.
This is a little more than we'd seen for Wii this far into 2006. I believe the extent of demos we'd heard of journalists playing amounted to things that would end up as Wii Play and New Play Control Metroid Prime. No third party sizzle reel. No Red Steel magazine coverage yet.
bgassassin said:
In other words we won't see 28nm used for anything but GCN from AMD and vice versa. Making a 640-800 ALU GPU on a 32nm process sounds more logical based on my view.
Now if only they'd adopt new technologies referred to as NES and GBA, these discussions could get REALLY confusing.

^ Agreed. And they were better off with the lack of info they gave with Wii than what they did this time with Wii U.

Careful what you wish for.
:p

I ain't wished nothin' like that. XD

You got to stay on so you have more posts here than me. You messed that up in he last thread.

le.phat

Power is no longer a concern for me.

Seeing what developers have achieved using current generation hardware, and how far they can push the systems and their component parts, I am in full confidence that we'll get some amazing looking games (especially first party titles) on the Wii U.
Having a system that's, say, only 2x as powerful would be incredible regardless of competition.

I keep saying it, but it's true: HD Zelda and Mario! For games that are consistently outstanding gameplay wise, we're going to have a real visual treat when Nintendo reveal what their EAD teams are working on.
It honestly won't matter to me if we see the power of the NEXTBOX being 6x the current generation and Nintendo's efforts turn out to be weaker than expected, because the results will still be phenomenal.

And what if the difference in power will lead to another situation where you are left with mediocre-at-best spin-off titles of the big 3rd party blockbusters in the best case scenario, and absolutely fuck all in any other case ? Because that is what went wrong this generation.

We still have 12000 posts to go.

And what if the difference in power will lead to another situation where you are left with mediocre-at-best spin-off titles of the big 3rd party blockbusters in the best case scenario, and absolutely fuck all in any other case ? Because that is what went wrong this generation.

The possibility of that is fairly low.

The pace is definitely faster for this thread, but it will also lose posts due to us supposed getting more info and in turn having threads about that info.

Unless they want to build overheating consoles and/or consoles the size of a HT receiver, while costing either $500+ or taking a $200 loss, that won't happen.

z0m3le

Banned
That was speculation by a poster from what I remember, not a rumor. And in all likelihood it would be the other way around as MS would probably buy a "bigger, better" version of what went in Wii U.

The current L2 target is 3MB, though that could be one of the things that got an increase. And yeah Nintendo doesn't seem to be the type to make components with disabled cores. Also going back to your other post, since I don't expect them to use GCN I've pretty much eliminated the idea of using a 28nm process. I see those two going hand in hand for future GPUs. In other words we won't see 28nm used for anything but GCN from AMD and vice versa. Making a 640-800 ALU GPU on a 32nm process sounds more logical based on my view.

Yeah, I assumed MS would have the faster clocked version of the same CPU, still it does make a lot of sense from a business perspective. Nintendo goes to IBM and says they need a new CPU, IBM says they have spent some time developing a CPU for next gen consoles, and Nintendo buys it, maybe MS can add cores, change cache sizes, and clock it differently, but I would assume that means very little if the architecture is the same, and from MS's point of view, I think they would very much want Devs to have an easy time bringing a Wii U game onto their system.

I understand that you don't think they would use GCN, but I have a hard time believing that Nintendo would design their own GPU, that said, AMD suggesting Nintendo to use something based off their developed tech makes sense, R700 for performance per watt was pretty decent, but to shrink it to 32nm, would be a great deal more expensive than to just use something based around the HD7700 series, I mean a 7770 uses something like 80 watts, if you took out the components that weren't needed, such as ram, and maybe even under clock it a little (it's a 1.28 Gflops gpu) they could probably get that down to 60 watts or so...

I guess I just don't see the benefit of designing your own GPU if MS is likely going to use GCN, and Nintendo would have better ports with a slightly custom GCN part @ 28nm. AMD doesn't even make a 32nm GPU do they?

Maybe I'm the only one but I didn't think last years E3 presentation was awful.
On the other hand I am also part of the minority who watched the whole presentation and not just the marketing video in the middle of it. Therefore I didn't question if it was an add-on for Wii or a new console.

Nope, you're not the only one mate. I can't see how people didn't know it was a new console tbh, seemed pretty obvious to me tbh.

How do you see the people who've posted most in the thread? Guessing Ace, you'll be top, bgassassin close behind... wonder where I'm at...

Also, I genuinely want to see the return of BP for E3. That's right, BurntPork, if you're reading this, I WANT you to return.

How do you see the people who've posted most in the thread? Guessing Ace, you'll be top, bgassassin close behind... wonder where I'm at...

Also, I genuinely want to see the return of BP for E3. That's right, BurntPork, if you're reading this, I WANT you to return.

On the thread listing, click the post count for the thread. It's a link that shows a pop-up breakdown of who posted and how much.

What if the game has 2 screen features??

I strongly suspect that Nintendo has that covered in their updated Lot Checks. It's at times like this that I wish I still worked in the industry - I used to work at Eidos until the inconsiderate gits made me redundant and ill health is currently preventing me from working unfortunately. Am hoping to be well enough to get back to things later on this year as it's nothing too serious thankfully.

If Nintendo have any sense they'll make the possibility of playing all games on the subscreen compulsory, it's one of the main features of the console after all.

I strongly suspect that Nintendo has that covered in their updated Lot Checks. It's at times like this that I wish I still worked in the industry - I used to work at Eidos until the inconsiderate gits made me redundant and ill health is currently preventing me from working unfortunately. Am hoping to be well enough to get back to things later on this year as it's nothing too serious thankfully.

If Nintendo have any sense they'll make the possibility of playing all games on the subscreen compulsory, it's one of the main features of the console after all.

Sorry to hear that, man.
Hope you get better.

Yeah, I assumed MS would have the faster clocked version of the same CPU, still it does make a lot of sense from a business perspective. Nintendo goes to IBM and says they need a new CPU, IBM says they have spent some time developing a CPU for next gen consoles, and Nintendo buys it, maybe MS can add cores, change cache sizes, and clock it differently, but I would assume that means very little if the architecture is the same, and from MS's point of view, I think they would very much want Devs to have an easy time bringing a Wii U game onto their system.

I understand that you don't think they would use GCN, but I have a hard time believing that Nintendo would design their own GPU, that said, AMD suggesting Nintendo to use something based off their developed tech makes sense, R700 for performance per watt was pretty decent, but to shrink it to 32nm, would be a great deal more expensive than to just use something based around the HD7700 series, I mean a 7770 uses something like 80 watts, if you took out the components that weren't needed, such as ram, and maybe even under clock it a little (it's a 1.28 Gflops gpu) they could probably get that down to 60 watts or so...

I guess I just don't see the benefit of designing your own GPU if MS is likely going to use GCN, and Nintendo would have better ports with a slightly custom GCN part @ 28nm. AMD doesn't even make a 32nm GPU do they?

IBM more than likely wouldn't start making a CPU "on a whim" like that. Realistically unless IBM shared IP ownership of Nintendo's design (which knowing Nintendo they won't), they wouldn't be able to farm it out to anyone else. That's how from what I understand PPEs were able to be used in Xenon, because IBM was a part owner in Cell's IP. As of now I don't really see the next three consoles having similar CPU architectures.

As for the GPU, they wouldn't just shrink an R700. I expect about the only thing the final GPU will have in common with the dev kit GPU would be the ALU count. However I wouldn't assume that method would be more expensive than using say an HD 7770 as the yields could end up being worse for the 7770. And while Nintendo wouldn't design it on their own, they wouldn't leave it completely to AMD either. Nintendo will be a part of how it gets customized. Also remember the console still needs to use memory so you can't completely eliminate that from the power draw. And "underclock it a little" is an understatement considering it's 1Ghz at stock. I see Nintendo going for more ALUs at a lower clock over fewer at a higher clock. It's also not guaranteed that just because Sony or MS might use GCN that it would be totally "off-the-shelf". They would at least make tweaks to it for the console.

AMD would design the GPU while for example IBM, NEC, GlobalFoundries, or TSMC would make the GPU. TSMC would be easily eliminated as a choice IMO due to how many customers they have to deal with. And the others are capable of making components at 32nm.

I find such arbitrary limits futile. I know people that stop posting when they reach a certain number of posts like 1337 or 10000. What's the point of that?

I assumed he was talking about 20000 posts in the thread before it gets closed, although the last thread didn't make it to 20000.

Sorry I didn't say anything sooner, but glad to see you were finally able to get on the boards.

Sweet, thanks. 4th place yeaaah.

Also, can't wait for Gabe Newell to appear on stage for Nintendo, y'know, after Valve announces a Half Life 3 exclusive, right before Crytek come on to show their AAA exclusive title.

Salvadora

Get well soon!

Ninja Edit: Thanks for the kind thoughts AceBandage and everyone else, much appreciated mates :eek:D

And no worries bgassassin, these boards and this thread in particular is pretty hectic lol

So are we looking at the possibility of a 7770 in the U now..? Wasn't expecting it to be based on a GPU that modern!

Fredrik

Power is no longer a concern for me.

Seeing what developers have achieved using current generation hardware, and how far they can push the systems and their component parts, I am in full confidence that we'll get some amazing looking games (especially first party titles) on the Wii U.
Having a system that's, say, only 2x as powerful would be incredible regardless of competition.

I keep saying it, but it's true: HD Zelda and Mario! For games that are consistently outstanding gameplay wise, we're going to have a real visual treat when Nintendo reveal what their EAD teams are working on.
It honestly won't matter to me if we see the power of the NEXTBOX being 6x the current generation and Nintendo's efforts turn out to be weaker than expected, because the results will still be phenomenal.
I totally agree with everything you said. I know I'll be happy with the console even if it turns out to be weaker than the 360.
I'm a bit worried that they won't have a transfer program for VC games from Wii to Wii U though.

Thanks for the kind thoughts AceBandage, much appreciated mate :eek:D

And no worries bgassassin, these boards and this thread in particular is pretty hectic lol

So are we looking at the possibility of a 7770 in the U now..? Wasn't expecting it to be based on a GPU that modern!

I dunno about that.
It's probably not going to be a 4850 or the likes, but I doubt it'll be based on something that new.

HylianTom

Banned
If it's more powerful than a 360, I'll be very, very satisfied.

Top of my wish list is GameCube compatability, since I still love playing my old games from then. If not, then this machine will be able to play every Nintendo generation except for GameCube.. and that kinda saddens me.

But I don't see it happening.

Top of my wish list is GameCube compatability, since I still love playing my old games from then. If not, then this machine will be able to play every Nintendo generation except for GameCube.. and that kinda saddens me.

It won't be able to play GC discs, but you can bet you'll be able to download them.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
How much time will Nintendo need from the start of production to release? What was the schedule for the Wii?
Well, IBM started shipping the Wii microprocessors (Broadway) on the 8th of September, 2006. Nintendo of America's distribution center in North Bend, Washington started packaging Wii remotes and console boxes early November (boxes were outgoing mail by the 8th of November). That's two months from the start of the assembling process to initial distribution start. However, as we know that blind Ben Underwood (he passed away in 2009) received a functional Wii by the 14th of September in the The Ellen DeGeneres Show, the whole manufacturing process seems to take very little time. I'd say a good two weeks for manufacturing with the rest of the time accounting for 2,5 months being used for logistics and distribution should be a sensible suggestion. This was of course 2006 so practices may have changed drastically since.

HylianTom

Banned
It won't be able to play GC discs, but you can bet you'll be able to download them.

I wondered about that.

Games like Zelda and Mario are no-brainers, and I'm glad I'll be able to put-away those discs. But Eternal Darkness, Beyond Good & Evil, Tales of Symphonia.. I'm not sure if we'll see lots of the less popular stuff.

Shion

After seeing the HD version of Beyond Good & Evil, I wish Nintendo is going to offer HD re-mastered versions of all GC & Wii major releases.

Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime
Wind Waker
Xenoblade
F-Zero GX

Would be amazing in HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom