• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Hopefully all the consoles are similar enough to don't miss multiplatform titles next gen =P

The Xbox360 and PS3 aren't going away time soon. Even if WiiU turned out to be just a little more powerful then PS360, it would still end up with the best versions of multiplatform games for the current generation. Not exactly a egregious position to be in.

Luminous Engine and Fox Engine are the 2 things keeping me from being worry free. I hope they are easily scalable and will run on wiiU just fine. That's the only way I envision a 1 console future for me. No worries about the other engines.

Roo

The Xbox360 and PS3 aren't going away time soon. Even if WiiU turned out to be just a little more powerful then PS360, it would still end up with the best versions of multiplatform games for the current generation. Not exactly a egregious position to be in.

I know we won't see new consoles from Sony or Microsoft till at earliest, next year.
I was more concerned about Wii U =P
Yeah, the first months (or year) Wii U most likely will get the best versions of the multiplatform games it receives from this gen but it would be great if the next Xbox and PS4 end up being just a rational upgrade where you can't tell the difference between their games and Wii U's

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I know we won't see new consoles from Sony or Microsoft till at earliest, next year.
I was more concerned about Wii U =P
Yeah, the first months (or year) Wii U most likely will get the best versions of the multiplatform games it receives from this gen but it would be great if the next Xbox and PS4 end up being just a rational upgrade where you can't tell the difference between their games and Wii U's

I've got not doubt that Xbox720 and PS4 will be considerably more powerful then WiiU. But by then, devs will have gotten a pretty good handle on pushing WiiU and I'm sure a lot of the multiplatform games I'll still look okay but might be running with lower detailed assets, reduced textures, lower resolution and reduced framerates. If they can maintain 720p @ 30fps with enough AA then the games will still look great.

Hiltz

I don't think the Wii U may necessary get all of the best multiplatform versions of current-gen games. Some third-parties like to do quick port jobs (especially given how third-party core titles haven't generally thrived as much on Nintendo platforms as they have on Xbox and PlayStation). On top of that, the Wii U will naturally have the lowest install base which will be a factor it whether or not it will be used as the lead platform for future current-gen games. Of course, the one of the worst case scenarios is that we get graphics that are indistinguishable to the current-gen versions with our without Wii U's streaming ability/inventory or HUD sub-screen.

cyberheater

I don't think the Wii U may necessary get all of the best multiplatform versions of current-gen games. Some Third-parties like to do quick port jobs. On top of that, the Wii U will naturally have the lowest install base and Nintendo will once again have to prove that third-parties can do better on its platforms. Of course, the devs that do care might put in the effort to make the graphics slightly better and take advantage of the Wii U's controller capabilities, even if its just simply streaming the game to the touch screen.

I'm hoping that streaming the screen to the WiiUTablet is mandated by Ninty.

I keep thing of the possible uses of the Tablet and to be honest I can't get past the idea of using it as an inventory screen for the WiiU version of Zelda. It would be glorious.

barbapapa

As soon as they release Pikmin 3, I'm getting one.
Pretty much the same deal I have with the 3DS, as soon as Luigi's Mansion 2 is out, I must have one. Right now? Eh, not so much.

royalan

I'm hoping that streaming the screen to the WiiUTablet is mandated by Ninty.

I keep thing of the possible uses of the Tablet and to be honest I can't get past the idea of using it as an inventory screen for the WiiU version of Zelda. It would be glorious.

It's a cool thought, but we all know what 3rd Parties do when Nintendo tries to "mandate" anything...

Anth0ny

So the start menu on the controller.

That would suck.

I do hope streaming is mandatory, but again, how would the controller screen functionality translate to JUST the controller screen?

Seems like my 360 will be sent to retirement as of this moment. The newest firmware update killed it and now it wont start.
I guess I'll have no choice but to stick with the Wii and 3ds till the WiiU drops.

At this point I will avoid the next MS console simply because the 360 has been the most unreliable piece of hardware I ever owned so I'm not taking my chances with a first gen MS hardware again.

Even if the 720 will outperform the Wii U by a huge margin (very unlikely IMO), as long as 3rd parties bring seious efforts to the WiiU there won't be a serious reason for me to get a 720 at launch (probably, we'll see)

royalan

So the start menu on the controller.

That would suck.

It would suck if that's all devs ever used the screen for, but the idea itself is pretty darn awesome.

I'm hoping someone makes use of the screen by making a dynamic HUD. Imagine having different HUD elements function like widgets, and you could "pin" the ones you wanted onto the television, and leave the rest on your controller screen. Or you could leave everything on the controller screen for HUDless gameplay.

I do hope streaming is mandatory, but again, how would the controller screen functionality translate to JUST the controller screen?

It wouldn't.

Hiltz

I think Xbox 360's swansong is likely to be Halo 4. Of course, given how the console has been a success for many third-party companies, we'll likely see a bit more games pump out for it. This is especially when they can still be multiplatform titles that appear on the PS3 and Wii U.

Azure J

Wii U-3DS-Vita-PC for me going forward. Anything further depends on whether or not more Japanese games flourish on the other consoles or one offs like the Capcom fighters, Platinum Games' output, or some really break out game happens on the other systems.

Fou-Lu

Wii U-3DS-Vita-PC for me going forward. Anything further depends on whether or not more Japanese games flourish on the other consoles or one offs like the Capcom fighters, Platinum Games' output, or some really break out game happens on the other systems.

Same for me. Although there would have to be something HUGE to make me buy another Microsoft console ever again.

Sony and most other companies seem to be content to send their quirky stuff to handhelds, and JRPGs are mostly regulated to handhelds now, so 3DS+Vita. Then you have the Wii U for the Nintendo franchises and the PC for everything else. Seems like a great system to me.

nordique

I've got not doubt that Xbox720 and PS4 will be considerably more powerful then WiiU. But by then, devs will have gotten a pretty good handle on pushing WiiU and I'm sure a lot of the multiplatform games I'll still look okay but might be running with lower detailed assets, reduced textures, lower resolution and reduced framerates. If they can maintain 720p @ 30fps with enough AA then the games will still look great.

PS4 is a wild one

But personally, I don't expect the Next Xbox to be a big jump, nor the jump everyone is expecting.

I expect if the rumours are true and it does come equipped with an HD touchscreen on the controller, and given it most certainly will come with Kinect 2.0 of some sort, I can see Microsoft not wanting to bleed money for the third gen in a row. They have finally become profitable and as a result it would not seem to wise a wise business decision to bleed more money (in effect losing what profits they've started making with the 360)

The goal is always to make money, not lose money -- or at the very least minimize losses.

So given all the technology that could potentially come with the next Xbox, I doubt we'll see a huge investment into the graphics to the extent it would be "considerably" more powerful than the Wii U.

Sorry, but I really don't see that happening. I'm also not one who is a Negatron about the Wii U's specs. I think it will be a fairly capable system, again, falling in line with what many who actually use reason and sound logic (not impulsive emotional response) believe the tech will be.

That, would be a very interesting scenario. I can see Microsoft seeing the power behind a Wii-style business model, as regardless what any fanboyish graphic fantasy hopes may bring, business is business and the Wii was by far the most successful system this generation.

I think we'll see the Wii U and Next Xbox be very similar in tech to the extent ports would be easy between the two to accomplish. And this would be a very interesting scenario.

I think a lot of people will be surprised by what a "HD 4850 or 4830" level GPU in a Wii U or "HD 6670" level GPU in the next Xbox actually would be capable of, in a closed console development environment.

When I think about how amazing certain PS3 and Xbox 360 games look today (Gears 3 or Uncharted 3 look spectacular), I realize what will likely be akin in the Next Xbox and the Wii U, will also look great.

Anth0ny

It wouldn't.

Which would mean the controller functionality is unnecessary and doesn't really add to the game (think 3D on the 3DS). I'm okay with that.

I think certain games, like Mario, won't offer much when it comes to the screen, like the Wii remote before it. You will easily be able to go between the TV and the controller screen, because nothing of value is lost when transferring between the two.

However, games like the Golf tech demo, which requires setting the Wii U controller on the floor and the use of a Wiimote, obviously will not be streamable to the controller screen. We most likely won't even be given the option.

But lets say Zelda does use the bottom screen as the inventory. That's a pretty major part of the game. Will we be given the option to stream Zelda to the controller? If not, I'd be pretty pissed that the equivalent of hitting the Start button is preventing us from doing so.

But I'm sure Nintendo is working out all these possibilities =)

DarkChild

Banned
PS4 is a wild one

But personally, I don't expect the Next Xbox to be a big jump, nor the jump everyone is expecting.

I expect if the rumours are true and it does come equipped with an HD touchscreen on the controller, and given it most certainly will come with Kinect 2.0 of some sort, I can see Microsoft not wanting to bleed money for the third gen in a row. They have finally become profitable and as a result it would not seem to wise a wise business decision to bleed more money (in effect losing what profits they've started making with the 360)

The goal is always to make money, not lose money -- or at the very least minimize losses.

So given all the technology that could potentially come with the next Xbox, I doubt we'll see a huge investment into the graphics to the extent it would be "considerably" more powerful than the Wii U.

Sorry, but I really don't see that happening. I'm also not one who is a Negatron about the Wii U's specs. I think it will be a fairly capable system, again, falling in line with what many who actually use reason and sound logic (not impulsive emotional response) believe the tech will be.

That, would be a very interesting scenario. I can see Microsoft seeing the power behind a Wii-style business model, as regardless what any fanboyish graphic fantasy hopes may bring, business is business and the Wii was by far the most successful system this generation.

I think we'll see the Wii U and Next Xbox be very similar in tech to the extent ports would be easy between the two to accomplish. And this would be a very interesting scenario.

I think a lot of people will be surprised by what a "HD 4850 or 4830" level GPU in a Wii U or "HD 6670" level GPU in the next Xbox actually would be capable of, in a closed console development environment.

When I think about how amazing certain PS3 and Xbox 360 games look today (Gears 3 or Uncharted 3 look spectacular), I realize what will likely be akin in the Next Xbox and the Wii U, will also look great.
So what would MS have over Nintendo if both consoles would be neck and neck? Online infrastructure and thats about it. But Nintendo exclusives are by far the best in business, and thats big advantage, Wii survived and won this gen solely on their exclusives.

And of course, next box won't have 6670 level GPU in it.

Kinvara

But lets say Zelda does use the bottom screen as the inventory. That's a pretty major part of the game. Will we be given the option to stream Zelda to the controller? If not, I'd be pretty pissed that the equivalent of hitting the Start button is preventing us from doing so.

Considering the fact that the Zelda Demo could stream to the controller- It's more than likely that Nintendo will implement this feature into Zelda for the Wii U.

3DS, Wii U, Vita, PS4, PC going forward.

PS4 will become my replacement for the PS3, AKA my living room media center if you will
3DS will stay my Nintendo first party handheld
Wii U will act as my Nintendo first party home console with some 3rd party games thrown in
Vita will be my Sony first and third party hand held
PC will be, well, my PC

StevieP

Banned
So what would MS have over Nintendo if both consoles would be neck and neck? Online infrastructure and thats about it. But Nintendo exclusives are by far the best in business, and thats big advantage, Wii survived and won this gen solely on their exclusives.

Microsoft has an exclusive as well - Kinect 2.0.

We don't know for sure one way or the other. We just know it won't be high-end.

cyberheater

Which would mean the controller functionality is unnecessary and doesn't really add to the game (think 3D on the 3DS). I'm okay with that.

I think certain games, like Mario, won't offer much when it comes to the screen, like the Wii remote before it. You will easily be able to go between the TV and the controller screen, because nothing of value is lost when transferring between the two.

However, games like the Golf tech demo, which requires setting the Wii U controller on the floor and the use of a Wiimote, obviously will not be streamable to the controller screen. We most likely won't even be given the option.

But I'm sure Nintendo is working out all these possibilities =)

When it's streamed, you'd just have to press a button to bring up the inventory screen like any other standard console game.

I'm hoping that the final kit will be able to fully support two tablets. It would be great to have a multiplayer game without a tv where you can't see each others screen. If the game was rendered in side by side format and the split per tablet then it's doable.

There's a rumor going around that Crytek will be showing a CryEngine Wii U demo behind closed doors at GDC.

We'll probably not find out either way if it actually happened, but I would go ahead and label this as pretty damn credible.

There's a rumor going around that Crytek will be showing a CryEngine Wii U demo behind closed doors at GDC.

We'll probably not find out either way if it actually happened, but I would go ahead and label this as pretty damn credible.
that's nice, hopefully someone says something or describes something. When square shows things behind closed doors someone always explains what they saw, why not here. Unless they'll all be forced to sign something.

HylianTom

Banned

Oh my.. this is very interesting. :)

(And as usual: WiiU-3DS-PC for me..)

Gaborn

I actually think Microsoft is more concerned with trying to drive Sony out of the console market than competing with Nintendo. If MS does go with a tablet controller like Nintendo that would put immense pressure on Sony to follow suit which might further hurt their Vita business, or it might pressure them to re-emphasize the connectivity, but even then I'm not sure for all the connectivity Vita may have with the PS4 that it would have the same degree of functionality of the Wii U tablet.

If this scenario played out at all it would be much harder for Sony to attract third party developers even for ports because with 2/3 of the consoles going tablet controller that means developers would tailor their games more around the controller rather than tacking it on as some currently fear with the Wii U.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.

If it is behind closed doors maybe we will hear about it, but not see it until e3.

cyberheater

I wonder what the possibility of shipping a cry engine based game at launch. Surely it could launch with Crysis 2.

I actually think Microsoft is more concerned with trying to drive Sony out of the console market than competing with Nintendo. If MS does go with a tablet controller like Nintendo that would put immense pressure on Sony to follow suit which might further hurt their Vita business, or it might pressure them to re-emphasize the connectivity, but even then I'm not sure for all the connectivity Vita may have with the PS4 that it would have the same degree of functionality of the Wii U tablet.

If this scenario played out at all it would be much harder for Sony to attract third party developers even for ports because with 2/3 of the consoles going tablet controller that means developers would tailor their games more around the controller rather than tacking it on as some currently fear with the Wii U.

That is a very good point.

Sadist

The triforce from a few pages ago is true!!11!

All joking aside, this is interesting.

cyberheater

I'm a Wii-only gamer, and I have about 10 games for it. It's not as horrible as it sounds.

Sounds horrible to me. I've got a Wii, PC, Xbox360, PS3 and iPad. The Wii is the only one I don't play on these days.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
2le6u541785gy7x5.gif

guek

Banned

the enemy of my enemy is my friend...I've been hoping for awhile now that MS sees things that way.

Goodlife

What would be the reasons for showing it behind closed doors?

Azure J

Here's hoping it's a good showing.

I'm a Wii-only gamer, and I have about 10 games for it. It's not as horrible as it sounds.

Honestly, I've been more than satisfied with my Wii this generation. The times when I'd find myself wanting another console had nothing to do with any lack of interest I had in the console or perceived value of it's library and more so because the games on the other systems were appealing as fuck to some niche I wanted to fill. I'm currently in possession of something like 22 games and at least 8 of them aren't finished 100% yet. Then there's still a choice few I want for completion's sake.

I'll have to willingly hold back on games next generation (or they'll be doomed to the backlog forever) if this console gets even moderate 3rd party support from the west in combination with the guaranteed stuff you'll see from the east.

Been looking through some Nintendo patents (and applications) and found this, with Publication Date, Feb. 23, 2012. (filed at Aug, 12 2011)

Can someone confirm if any Wii U\pad patents, included the 3DS in the past?

I'm sure they've mentioned it at some point (3DS as a WiiU controller) but has it been used in a patent before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom