• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
IceDoesntHelp said:
Monster Hunter 4 confirmed for Wii U and 3DS!!
please ):

bgassasin said:
With Nintendo playing the "We'll let the third parties tell you about it" role and then someone from Capcom said this awhile back.

So they speak tonight if I remember correctly, so let's see what happens.

I'm expecting nothing.

Except for RE6 exclusivity. :p

But you guys know GAF couldn't handle that..:(

Jin34

Father_Brain said:
I'm confident that there will be no substantive Wii U news whatsoever until Nintendo holds another press event focused on it. That'll probably be early next year, but could be as late as next E3, depending on the actual launch timing.

Early next year is most likely, somewhere around February, this holiday is all about 3DS as you can see by the Monster Hunter announcements.

Bulzeeb

guek said:
my GOD RE6 wii exclusivity would be effin NUTS. the meltdown...OH THE MELTDOWN

this would be epic fun hahaha now I kindda want something like that happening XD but i doubt we'll be seeing much info thisyear, it seems nintendo is focusing on making people buy 3DS instead

StevieP

Banned
The third party exclusive is pretty much a dead idea, guys. If the box can run it, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to port (i.e. a shitload of effort), it will be on the box. Even timed exclusivity costs too much nowadays in regards to HD console/PC development.

Mr_Brit

Banned
StevieP said:
The third party exclusive is pretty much a dead idea, guys. If the box can run it, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to port (i.e. a shitload of effort), it will be on the box. Even timed exclusivity costs too much nowadays in regards to HD console/PC development.
Just like MH4 on Vita... oh wait.

StevieP

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Just like MH4 on Vita... oh wait.

Well, portables are a different story still thanks to their lower development costs. Even with Vita being much closer to HD console costs than previous portables. Moneyhatting a portable franchise is probably more viable, even if it's only timed.

Console games, on the other hand? Not a chance.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wouldn't say no to a RE6 on Wii U with motherfucking Leon! It's probably the RE character most Nintendo fans knows with RE2 being on N64 and RE4 on Gamecube/Wii.

Exclusivity though? Nah, won't happen.

edit : Forgot about the 2 on rails REs that came out on Wii and all the old ports too. Oh well.

[Nintex] said:
I don't count on Resident Evil 6 being for Wii U but given Nintendo's and Capcom's history I wouldn't rule it out either.
Maybe not now

But it's an HD system that can easily be ported to

I'd be surprised if RE6 is not there eventually

Fuck, I would be surprised if RE5 and RE4 aren't there somehow

guek

Banned
Bisnic said:
I wouldn't say no to a RE6 on Wii U with motherfucking Leon! It's probably the RE character most Nintendo fans knows with RE2 being on N64 and RE4 on Gamecube/Wii.

Exclusivity though? Nah, won't happen.

edit : Forgot about the 2 on rails REs that came out on Wii and all the old ports too. Oh well.

heheheh...Nintendo could technically afford to make it worth their while. But I don't think that's really their style. They're not above money hatting, but probably wouldn't be willing to bribe them that much.

It'd be absolutely hilarious though. I'd want it to happen just for the lols.

So who wants to bet Nintendo releases a normal controller as an optional accessory to the Wii-U, just like the slide-pad attachment came to the 3DS. I mean it is necessary isn't it? Especially if they want shooters to be playable on it and whatnot. You need 4 shoulder buttons, clickable analogs, etc...

Now that I see they won't shy away from releasing something like that, I could easily see it.

nickcv

-Pyromaniac- said:
So who wants to bet Nintendo releases a normal controller as an optional accessory to the Wii-U, just like the slide-pad attachment came to the 3DS. I mean it is necessary isn't it? Especially if they want shooters to be playable on it and whatnot. You need 4 shoulder buttons, clickable analogs, etc...

Now that I see they won't shy away from releasing something like that, I could easily see it.

what's the point? the wii-u controller already has all of that, plus you can still use your wiimote and therefor your CC PRO

specific controllers is not what the wii-u is missing.
i think this may actually be the console with most controller options ever.

ps: i love this thread, is the only one that's not about nintendo doom and gloom in these days.

edit: i didn't see you talked about clickable analogs... my mistake!

i don't think anyway those are so necessary.
they are going to use the touch screen for something, and you can use it to replace those buttons.

boyshine

-Pyromaniac- said:

nintendo-wii-u-controller-back1.jpg

4 shoulder buttons - check
clickable analog - no, better: touch screen. anything previously mapped to click-sticks can easily work as a touch-button or swipe gesture.

Edit: but with analog triggers confirmed for the 3DS AnalogPlus expansion, I’m pretty sure we’ll see those on the final Wii U controller as well.

boyshine said:
nintendo-wii-u-controller-back1.jpg

4 shoulder buttons - check
clickable analog - no, better: touch screen. anything previously mapped to click-sticks can easily work as a touch-button or swipe gesture.
Well firstly, those back buttons that are lower are not triggers, that's the problem, you can't press them to a certain degree. That plays an important role in some games. Also it looks quite uncomfortable in a game where you need constant access to both l1/l2/r1/r2.

Also as for your second point, err I don't see how that makes sense. What about something as common as running in call of duty? How the hell are you gonna use a touchscreen for that?

guek

Banned
nintendo wont release another new controller for wii U. They're going to run off the back of the classic controller. That's your non-tablet controller right there.

Nintendo has never used clickable sticks and there's no reason for them to start now. I see your point about triggers though. Still, I don't think they'll care enough to put out a redesigned pad.

guek said:
nintendo wont release another new controller for wii U. They're going to run off the back of the classic controller. That's your non-tablet controller right there.

Nintendo has never used clickable sticks and there's no reason for them to start now. I see your point about triggers though. Still, I don't think they'll care enough to put out a redesigned pad.
well I'm just saying, they are apparently making an attempt to offer the same 3rd party experiences that MS and Sony get on their platform, isn't that their shtick this time around? Best of both worlds? Would be a pretty big mistake if the controller isn't even able to play the most popular franchise out right now properly (call of duty). That's just one example.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Well firstly, those back buttons that are lower are not triggers, that's the problem, you can't press them to a certain degree. That plays an important role in some games. Also it looks quite uncomfortable in a game where you need constant access to both l1/l2/r1/r2.

Also as for your second point, err I don't see how that makes sense. What about something as common as running in call of duty? How the hell are you gonna use a touchscreen for that?

What is this based on exactly? None of the hands on impressions had talked about any discomfort

Zoramon089 said:
What is this based on exactly? None of the hands on impressions had talked about any discomfort
basing it on the picture posted above. Doesn't look comfortable to me, but once again I'll concede that pictures could be deceiving.

Either way that was the least important part of my post, I just threw it in there. My other points still stand as legit problems if they are chasing the ability to offer equal gameplay experiences. It seemed like that was their "idea" going into this, best of all worlds. Doesn't seem like they went all the way though, leaving out some obvious and easily doable needs.

guek

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
well I'm just saying, they are apparently making an attempt to offer the same 3rd party experiences that MS and Sony get on their platform, isn't that their shtick this time around? Best of both worlds? Would be a pretty big mistake if the controller isn't even able to play the most popular franchise out right now properly (call of duty). That's just one example.

eh, they could get it to play. What are you worried about, a run button? Psssh. Assign it to a button and make touch screen reload. Or make flicking the controller reload. BOOM problem solved.

guek said:

reason:

clickable sticks are industry standards. All developers need now a special solution for the WiiU. And it will not works perfectly for all games

dr_rus

boyshine said:
anything previously mapped to click-sticks can easily work as a touch-button or swipe gesture.
Click-sticks are tactile and any touchscreen button/gesture is not thus it won't work the same way at all.

boyshine

-Pyromaniac- said:

You have the entire screen availabe for weapon selection. The sprint button could be X. Personally I’d love it if they’d do „shake-to-sprint” though, it would add a lot to the feel of the game IMO.

And of course you can access all 4 shoulderbuttons/triggers.. the glass is half empty with you isn’t it? Use your index fingers on L/R and your middle fingers on Lz/Rz (or whatever they’re called this time)

ManeKast

Im just gonna go surfing for the summer (aus) and come back to this thread march 2012. I reckon we will know another detail by then.

guek said:
eh, they could get it to play. What are you worried about, a run button? Psssh. Assign it to a button and make touch screen reload. Or make flicking the controller reload. BOOM problem solved.
lol that sounds terrible, or I'll just buy the PS4/720 version and play them comfortably and perfectly. Like I'm sure many consumers will opt to do. That's my point. We'll see. I just don't get why they left out things that they could have EASILY included, just seems...odd. Then again this is Nintendo.

edit: I'm not saying there MIGHT not be ways around anything, I'm just speaking from Nintendo's new perspective. They seem to want something but they aren't showing that they want it exactly.

-Pyromaniac- said:

12491.jpg

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
-Pyromaniac- said:

It's more comfortable, because you will be able to use this:
2vcxctk.jpg

Which in my experience is much better than using one index for both buttons.

guek

Banned
PdotMichael said:
reason:

clickable sticks are industry standards. All developers need now a special solution for the WiiU. And it will not works perfectly for all games

if the industry jumped off a bridge, would you do it too? hmm, mister??

I see what you mean, but I don't think it's really that big of a deal. Clickable sticks aren't as integral as say analog sticks. Should nintendo include them? Eh, I dunno. I guess. I don't particularly like em, so maybe that's why I'm so indifferent.

boyshine

-Pyromaniac- said:
lol that sounds terrible, or I'll just buy the PS4/720 version and play them comfortably and perfectly. Like I'm sure many consumers will opt to do. That's my point. We'll see. I just don't get why they left out things that they could have EASILY included, just seems...odd. Then again this is Nintendo.

edit: I'm not saying there MIGHT not be ways around anything, I'm just speaking from Nintendo's new perspective. They seem to want something but they aren't showing that they want it exactly.
Every feature you’ve claimed to be missing from the Wii U controller, except analog triggers, are there - and more. And like I said, analog triggers will be added to the final model, because they’re there on the 3DS-addon.

Also doing this on the controller screen is something the other versions can’t do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1omP6PdLYZ8

boyshine said:
Every feature you’ve claimed to be missing from the Wii U controller, except analog triggers, are there - and more. And like I said, analog triggers will be added to the final model, because they’re there on the 3DS-addon.

Also doing this on the controller screen is something the other versions can’t do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1omP6PdLYZ8
if they're added to the final model then obviously anything I've said is void, but until then it's a valid concern. To be honest I don't even want to look at the controller screen while playing fast paced action games.

I like it for RPGs and slower paced games though. It's a good concept, like I said it just seems weird that they left out obvious things that would have perfected all possible input options. But if you're right and it's in the final model, then that's a good thing and I take it all back. But we'll see...

boyshine said:

That's a big jump in assumption. Also I don't recall seeing anything that said the 3DS slidepad triggers are analog. Not saying they aren't, but I must have missed confirmation of that.

bgassassin said:
That's a big jump in assumption. Also I don't recall seeing anything that said the 3DS slidepad triggers are analog. Not saying they aren't, but I must have missed confirmation of that.
You did miss that.

guek

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
if they're added to the final model then obviously anything I've said is void, but until then it's a valid concern. To be honest I don't even want to look at the controller screen while playing fast paced action games.

I like it for RPGs and slower paced games though. It's a good concept, like I said it just seems weird that they left out obvious things that would have perfected all possible input options. But if you're right and it's in the final model, then that's a good thing and I take it all back. But we'll see...

yeah cept clicky sticks.

cuz nintendo looooves dem some circle pads right now

The slide pad on the 3DS kinda sucks. My hands could be perfectly clean and dry, within 20 minutes of playing a game that uses it a lot I'll have my thumb slipping over it, really annoying. These ones best be more grippy/slightly different.

guek

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
I haven't read the last few pages but where are people getting the information that the Wii U doesn't support 1080p properly?

somebody who says they're in the know says that they suspect it doesn't due to something something

EDRAM I think. I dunno. Perhaps a lack of *M*A*G*I*C*

oh lordy i am so tired right now

edit: D'OH

guek said:
yeah cept clicky sticks.

cuz nintendo looooves dem some circle pads right now

The circle pads were probably put on the Wii U tablet for ergonomic reasons. With the way you have to hold it, having 2 full sized sticks would mean that you wouldn't be able to fully support the tablet controller with your thumbs since they wouldn't be pressing down on the tablet itself (In order to prevent it from slipping out of your hands towards you, you'd have to use the palms of your hands only - which would be uncomfortable)

Having the circle pads means that your thumbs are pressing down on the tablet itself, rather than the sticks. Thus allowing your thumbs to provide the necessary support to hold the tablet, without straining your palms.

shadyspace said:
You did miss that.

Where exactly? Nothing I'm seeing says they are analog.

Zoramon089 said:
I haven't read the last few pages but where are people getting the information that the Wii U doesn't support 1080p properly?

It was actually while you were posting, but considering who you were debating with (BurntPork) it was easy for you to probably miss it. :p

The poster edited his post, but enough people already saw it and quoted it. He was saying it was due to the amount of eDRAM, and even then he didn't sound 100% sure.

-Pyromaniac- said:
The slide pad on the 3DS kinda sucks. My hands could be perfectly clean and dry, within 20 minutes of playing a game that uses it a lot I'll have my thumb slipping over it, really annoying. These ones best be more grippy/slightly different.

I seem to recall IGN/somewhere reporting they were different/better/more grippy/accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom