• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieP

Banned
bgassassin said:
Haha. MS will need it if they use Bulldozer.

I agree though about the power differences in the next consoles. What I recently found interesting was that if the specs of the 7000 series are true then my "Cayman Jr" hypothesis is very comparable to the Lombok model.

Trinity has been moved to Piledriver, thankfully. So if one of the rumoured console manufacturers is still moving forward with x86 plans it will probably be looking at the APUs rather than the poor power/heat showing that Bulldozer is bringing. The "flip-flopping" that the rumours suggested, however, now has a clear reason for its existence. I'm sure said console manufacturers were privy to the fab issues Global Foundries was having with Bulldozer and its resulting Netburst-like consumption.

Shanadeus said:
If Wii U is Super Buu, what is 720 and PS4?

We still need to find out which version of Super Buu that Wii U would be comparable too. :p

StevieP said:
Trinity has been moved to Piledriver, thankfully. So if one of the rumoured console manufacturers is still moving forward with x86 plans it will probably be looking at the APUs rather than the poor power/heat showing that Bulldozer is bringing. The "flip-flopping" that the rumours suggested, however, now has a clear reason for its existence. I'm sure said console manufacturers were privy to the fab issues Global Foundries was having with Bulldozer and its resulting Netburst-like consumption.

That does make sense about the rumored decision process. I'm definitely interested in seeing what they come up with to battle heat.

bgassassin said:
We still need to find out which version of Super Buu that Wii U would be comparable too. :p

That does make sense about the rumored decision process. I'm definitely interested in seeing what they come up with to battle heat.

As I suggested when the project Cafe name was leaked:

Make a partnership with Nespresso. Use the heat of the GPU and CPU to heat the water for your coffee. The new Nintendo NESpresso.

Have George Clooney do some marketing and you have the female demographic by the ... balls lol.

I'm dead serious too. A console that can serve me acceptable espresso and is clean while doing so? Instant centerpiece of my living room^^

Winnie the Pimp said:
or a Wii to THIS generation ;)

To the people saying that Nintendo doesn't want to lose as much money on each unit as MS and Sony did this gen, i simply wonder, how did they manage back in the day when they HAD the most powerful system out there a couple times in a row? I mean sure, parts got more expensive but STILL, it's gotta be somewhat comparable?
Matching or besting competitors is one thing, but before this gen the only time a serious competitor launched at such higher prices compared to previous Nintendo platforms was the Saturn. Before that there was no Sony/MS equivalent with the name and bank power to have a serious go at trying to do something like, say, have a Neo Geo level machine be major home competition in the early 90s.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm bored, and with a trillion posts of speculation, is there a timeframe when more news will come out? Nintendo said not until next year, and if my history serves me correct, didn't Nintendo unveil the Wii or DS in January of some year? Or at least major info on it.

AzaK

TheNatural said:
I'm bored, and with a trillion posts of speculation, is there a timeframe when more news will come out? Nintendo said not until next year, and if my history serves me correct, didn't Nintendo unveil the Wii or DS in January of some year? Or at least major info on it.

Well no one really knows but I'd think there's nothing coming news wise (unless leaked) until next year. They will want to hype the 3ds and sell as many Wiis as they can this Christmas and so any news about the Wii U will just distract them and consumers.

Please someone, leak us something juicy!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
BurntPork said:
I used a Kamehameha to bust into their buildings.

And Google Chrome recognizes Kamehameha as a real word. wat

He was like king of Hawaii or something.

boris feinbrand said:
As I suggested when the project Cafe name was leaked:

Make a partnership with Nespresso. Use the heat of the GPU and CPU to heat the water for your coffee. The new Nintendo NESpresso.

Have George Clooney do some marketing and you have the female demographic by the ... balls lol.

I'm dead serious too. A console that can serve me acceptable espresso and is clean while doing so? Instant centerpiece of my living room^^

UClooney.jpg

Bit.Trip Runner 2 Too Powerful for WiiWare, Might Hit Wii U

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/28069

Developer Gaijin Games' Alex Neuse loves the Wii, but Runner 2 is too much for the little system.

Bit.Trip Presents: Runner 2, Future Legend of Rhythm Alien, which was announced for Xbox Live Arcade and PSN last week, won't be hitting WiiWare because "the Wii cannot handle the game," according to Gaijin Games' Alex Neuse. However, Neuse did say that they are considering bringing Runner 2 to Wii U.

"If the console were able to hang with what we're going to be doing on the PS3 and 360, we would definitely be bringing it to the Wii as well," Neuse said to us via e-mail. "I mean, you know us; we love the Wii!"

To date, every one of Commander Video's adventures has come to Nintendo platforms, and the recent releases of Bit.Trip Saga (3DS) and Bit.Trip Complete (Wii) have given gamers two compilation packages to catch up on the 8-bit adventures.

Runner 2 is shedding the 8-bit aesthetic for a stylized HD look. The added horsepower required, for better or worse, makes it tough to make on Wii.

However, Neuse did tease something reassuring for Nintendo fans. "Now, we are considering Wii U, but we're not ready to officially announce anything yet."

Gaijin Games is moving on to the HD realm. Fortunately, Nintendo is also going there, too.

Check out the game's developer blog to follow the progress of Runner 2, which is set for a 2012 release on XBLA, PSN, and maybe Wii U.

Could be the second downloadable game for Wii U.

usmanusb

Hi guyz

Its deserted on all types of news for WiiU.. I wanted to ask rather a bit different question... When you look around on Sony and Microsoft, they have come out with very solid new brands and they have also acquired other studios during this generation. I think as usual the thing which will really matters in the next generation will be the good exclusive games... What do you guys think about Nintendo strategy? They should get more studios especially the western one? Or they should buy some exclusive like what they did with Resident series back in GC days.

dwu8991

Banned
usmanusb said:
Hi guyz

Its deserted on all types of news for WiiU.. I wanted to ask rather a bit different question... When you look around on Sony and Microsoft, they have come out with very solid new brands and they have also acquired other studios during this generation. I think as usual the thing which will really matters in the next generation will be the good exclusive games... What do you guys think about Nintendo strategy? They should get more studios especially the western one? Or they should buy some exclusive like what they did with Resident series back in GC days.

As long as Retro Studios keeps producing high quality content, then Nintendo will continue to invest in overseas productions.

usmanusb said:
Hi guyz

I think that Nintendo will focus on buying exclusives, like they have done with Monster Hunter 3G & 4 and Lego City Stories. They also seem to be moving towards a model of collaborative development, in order to account for their lack of shader experience/manpower (look at their 3DS output. With the sole exceptions of Mario 3D Land and Nintendogs + Cats, every EAD game has been co-developed by another studio)

Boogybro

Shanadeus said:
If Wii U is Super Buu, what is 720 and PS4?

But I thought Wii U was Gohan SSJ 2?

Which would make either 720 or Dat Quadruple, Majin Vegeta or surpressed Goku SSJ 2.

You're getting too far ahead of yourself.

Nuclear Muffin said:
I think that Nintendo will focus on buying exclusives, like they have done with Monster Hunter 3G & 4 and Lego City Stories. They also seem to be moving towards a model of collaborative development, in order to account for their lack of shader experience/manpower (look at their 3DS output. With the sole exceptions of Mario 3D Land and Nintendogs + Cats, every EAD game has been co-developed by another studio)

I don't think those collaborations had anything to do with their "lack of shader experience/manpower" -- they got grezzo and Q spitting out enhanced ports because they'd completely rushed the console and weren't ready with their own stuff imo. I do think they're more flexible with farming out to third parties, but surely that's just because it makes good economic sense to share some of their burdens.

Effect

Yes the PS4 and next Xbox will be more powerful then the Wii U but I don't think that will really matter in the end mainly due to the type of engines being used. I would think all consoles would just have to meet the requirements of the various engines being used and coming out. Then I would think it would be a matter of running that engine on what would be the equivalent of medium settings or high to ultra high depending on the console's internals. Unless this is the wrong way of looking at what might be happening. If so please correct.

I get the feeling we are in for what could be something similar to the PS2/Cube/Xbox era instead of the current Wii/PS3/360 era. I don't think that's going to happen again if engines continue to be scaleable. They are aren't they?

walking fiend said:
I wonder if they don't sell.

RE4 on Wii sold well over a million, despite being released on Gamecube and PS2, and HD consoles combined are behind these two combined by a few good 10m.

I suspect a lot of people will buy new games on Wii U if they are updated just as much as RE4 was compared to either PS2 or GC version.
RE4:WE almost sold as much as the PS2 version, 2 million. Well I would buy at least.

dwu8991 said:
As long as Retro Studios keeps producing high quality content, then Nintendo will continue to invest in overseas productions.
Nothing indicates they've stopped. (although I'm in the everything Retro has done I love bubble so that may be a bit biased)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Did we ever get confirmation that this thing has an external power brick?

Any photos of it?

tsab

Gahiggidy said:
Did we ever get confirmation that this thing has an external power brick?

Any photos of it?

The photo that shows the back of the wii-u, shows a power brick plugged in. No pics of the power brick though, only the plug

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I kinda wish this the wii u had a handle on the side to make carrying around easier. I predict people will take on the road to places like starbucks to play off the screen. Being able to somehow clip the controller to the console would also be helpful.

AntMurda

Nuclear Muffin said:

Mario Kart and Zelda Skyward Sword are being developed in Kyoto HQ and Mario 3D in Tokyo HG. That's their 3 big games for Fall. How do they show lack of shader experience by working with Vitei, Q-Games and Grezzo on a couple of 3DS games? I think we are just stipulating things we do not know behind the scenes.

I think its always the case of their teams are always working on experiments. Some stagnate and NCL makes a decision to have a quick fix from their b teams working in association with their A teams and those producers.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nuclear Muffin said:

The whole 'lack of shader experience' is a fairly baseless myth. Nintendo has no history, at all, of not being able to fully capitalise on the hardware resources they have for their platforms. I expect they'll need some time adjusting, but I also expect them to do a phenomenal job of making the best use of their own hardware, as they have done so with every platform in the past.

usmanusb said:
Hi guyz

If Nintendo actually intends to hit the Western market hard then yes, they need more Western studios. Its quite baffling actually why they haven't tried to seriously invest in getting some Western branches filling in the software gaps their HQ cant. They've got some, but they're relatively low key and not developing huge, system selling software.

Though its probably due to Nintendo's rigid and strict policy of overseeing every title they develop. Retro produce top tier games but its clear that many of the staff were sick of Nintendo's overbearing shit, something a lot of Western studios don't like. Nintendo would need to relax a little and give Western branches a bit more rope, and I'm not sure they're prepared to do this.

usmanusb

Originally Posted by usmanusb:
Hi guyz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you guys think which type of games or companies Nintendo should invest in? What will be real turning point for them to be in a better position especially for hardcore gamers?

Nintendo will likely continue to work along with Next Level Games, Monster Games, etc. instead of buying studios.

I do wonder about paying for exclusives in the West however. It could get very interesting.

AntMurda

EatChildren said:
If Nintendo actually intends to hit the Western market hard then yes, they need more Western studios. Its quite baffling actually why they haven't tried to seriously invest in getting some Western branches filling in the software gaps their HQ cant. They've got some, but they're relatively low key and not developing huge, system selling software.

Though its probably due to Nintendo's rigid and strict policy of overseeing every title they develop. Retro produce top tier games but its clear that many of the staff were sick of Nintendo's overbearing shit, something a lot of Western studios don't like. Nintendo would need to relax a little and give Western branches a bit more rope, and I'm not sure they're prepared to do this.

I think it is wrong to think that "Nintendo needs to buy x amount of western developers" in order to have a stronger presence in the west. Microsoft has showed us that you can build a very successful first-party line up by just picking up publishing rights for games. Just look at the massive success of HALO and Gears of War. Buying a developer secures nothing, as the talent can leave and all you pay for is the shell of the company.

I think Nintendo has create an American production group separate from their SPD department in Japan, to work with the American studios on distinguishing properties. Otherwise we will just keep getting Western Nintendo games being shoehorned into old Japanese properties. See Luigi's Mansion 2, Excite Truck, Donkey Kong Country, Mario Sports, etc.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AntMurda said:
I think it is wrong to think that "Nintendo needs to buy x amount of western developers" in order to have a stronger presence in the west. Microsoft has showed us that you can build a very successful first-party line up by just picking up publishing rights for games. Just look at the massive success of HALO and Gears of War. Buying a developer secures nothing, as the talent can leave and all you pay for is the shell of the company.

I think Nintendo has create an American production group separate from their SPD department in Japan, to work with the American studios on distinguishing properties. Otherwise we will just keep getting Western Nintendo games being shoehorned into old Japanese properties. See Luigi's Mansion 2, Excite Truck, Donkey Kong Country, Mario Sports, etc.

I don't think they need to buy developers, I'm saying it would be a helpful investment for the company. Their Eastern software production is pretty much set, but even with partnerships they don't really have a strong Western presence. Rather than buy developers, I'd like them to build some more partnerships, and perhaps take a more aggressive stance in establishing their own Western studios.

But Retro is an example of the latter, and their management conflicting staff interest, so I don't know. I guess I feel Nintendo, through whatever means, needs to look into getting some Western developers, their own or through partnerships, exploring some new IPs of high value. It's a market they probably shouldn't ignore, and are quite capable of exploring.

usmanusb

Its true and seems practical to have that approach for buying titles. Nintendo franchise is always there and works fine. But i think Nintendo in my opinion must go beyond Mario stuff now... I think I miss those exclusive titles like KI, Goldeneye/perfect dark, Eternal Darkness.. For Wii-U launch, which type of games will be attractive for hardcore gamers to get, which will really make them buy it?

EatChildren

You cant really narrow down a specific type of game that will cause Western audiances to flock the system. It could be a shooter, first or third person, a Western RPG, a beat-em-up, or anything with mass market appeal really.

What Nintendo really needs to do, if they're interested in that, is not so much buy IPs as invest in new ones. Picking up existing franchises as exclusives works to a certain degree, but are a short term solution to a problem that requires future proofing. They need to do with they did with Rare during the Nintendo 64 years; build up a library of new, exclusive games that define the system, and Nintendo as a company.

That is what I would look towards anyway. Nintendo might not be interested in this, and if they're not lame, but whatever. I do worry that their intentions of appealing to the 'hardcore' simply consists of getting all those big multiplatform titles, something they missed out in the Wii era. It really wont be enough.

usmanusb

Exactly, i agree.. depending on the multiplatform may not be enough, they need some good exclusives...

What could be best launch titles for the system?

usmanusb said:
Exactly, i agree.. depending on the multiplatform may not be enough, they need some good exclusives...

What could be best launch titles for the system?
For me personally, pikmin3. For sales, super mario bros.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nuclear Muffin said:
This is some the wackiest gaf folklore that pollutes these boards. Each time a gaffer utters it a ROP in their future 'nex-gen' console dies. Consider yourselves warned.

Seronei

With Nintendo's next console offering enough power to rival the PS3 and Xbox 360, as well as innovative use of multi-screen and touch-screen gaming, Batman: Arkham City could look quite different when it eventually reaches the Wii U.
On rail shooter confirmed!

Ubermatik said:
This worries me. Why isn't it offering enough power to surpass the Xbox 360 and PS3?
Your completely illogical fears are confirmed!

The Wii U will clearly be on par with PS360 because that line from that article says so. The code has been cracked. Nevermind that this would basically be impossible at the moment and is at odds with other developer comments. That's not important.

Now we finally know it will not surpass the PS360 thanks to this line not actually said by Rocksteady so we can put this debate to rest forever.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ubermatik said:
This worries me. Why isn't it offering enough power to surpass the Xbox 360 and PS3?
Because they're essentially doing a port?

It could look quite different?

[BurntPork mode on]So that basically means it'll have a cartoony style like the Wii version of GhostBusters. Yep, this thing is gonna bankrupt Nintendo. [BurntPork mode off]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom