• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
They should really make a Zelda HD collection with Windwaker, TP and SS in 720/1080P in the launch window. SS is so close to Wii U's release that it would be dumb not to capitalize on the games freshness while they still can. Throw in TP and Windwaker in HD and they have a million seller with good value.

MDX said:
Well the customer is actually AMD, isnt it?
Who has to supply the GPU to Nintendo.
AMD is supplying for all three next gen though. Nintendo would be the least likely of the three to use 28nm but you never know.

nickcv

Saint Gregory said:
AMD is supplying for all three next gen though. Nintendo would be the least likely of the three to use 28nm but you never know.

but still nintendo out of the 3 is the one that cares most about power consumption

Strife91

BeauRoger said:
They should really make a Zelda HD collection with Windwaker, TP and SS in 720/1080P in the launch window. SS is so close to Wii U's release that it would be dumb not to capitalize on the games freshness while they still can. Throw in TP and Windwaker in HD and they have a million seller with good value.

I support this idea!

TunaLover

BurntPork said:
Nintendo isn't likely to use TSMC as their fab. TSMC has WAY too many other, higher-priority customers for 28nm to even be bothered by Nintendo for just one game console.
Nintendo is a low-priority customer now?
With millions of system sold under the belt, really?

wsippel

Banned
Nintendo typically gets their custom silicon from IBM, NEC, Fujitsu and Macronix. As far as I'm aware, they've never worked with TSMC or Global Foundries. The Wii U chipset will most likely either be manufactured at IBM (if it's an SoC), or IBM will do the CPU and NEC will do the GPU and system logic VLSI.

BurntPork said:
Nintendo isn't likely to use TSMC as their fab. TSMC has WAY too many other, higher-priority customers for 28nm to even be bothered by Nintendo for just one game console.

=====Nintendo Wii Life-to-date number of units shipped=======

Date -------------------------------Millions-----------------------
------------------------ Japan----Americas---Other-----Worldwide

2006-12-31[29]------1.14-------1.25-------0.80---------3.19
2007-03-31[30]------2.00-------2.37-------1.47---------5.84
2007-06-30[31]------2.95-------3.81-------2.51---------9.27
2007-09-30[32]------3.67-------5.46-------4.04--------13.17
2007-12-31[33]------4.99-------8.85-------6.30--------20.13
2008-03-31[34]------5.90------10.61-------7.94-------24.45
2008-06-30[35]------6.43------13.11------10.08-------29.62
2008-09-30[36]------6.91------15.19------12.45-------34.55
2008-12-31[37]------7.80------20.40------16.76-------44.96
2009-03-31[38]------7.96------23.54------18.89-------50.39
2009-06-30[39]------8.17------24.42------20.03-------52.62
2009-09-30[8]--------8.68------25.99------21.48-------56.14
2009-12-31[40]------9.72------32.02------25.71-------67.45
2010-03-31[41] -----10.34-----33.40------27.19-------70.93
2010-06-30[42]------10.52-----35.20-----28.24--------73.97
2010-09-30[5] -------10.79------35.91------29.20-------75.90
2010-12-31[43]------11.45------40.53------32.67-------84.64
2011-03-31[44]------11.59------41.18------33.24-------86.01
2011-06-30[45]------11.71------41.71------34.16-------87.57

Yeah......

Edit: Or look at the post above mine for actual reasons why they mightn't use TSMC. :p

JohnB

I'm sure Retro Studios will have a DKC game ready for launch; for their Wii title, they'd already used high-resolution assets and trimmed them down.

I assume Nintendo's internal divisions have been doing like-wise for the last couple of years, thus the 720P Wii U Zelda tech demo being prepared in - what - three weeks?

Question for folk who've read this entire thread (if that's possible; I've been dipping in and out of it) - has Nintendo definitely ruled out upscaling for Wii games? Or just hardware-based upscaling? If the machine has plenty of RAM and power, I'd be surprised if a software solution has been ruled out.

Cheers

JohnB said:
I'm sure Retro Studios will have a DKC game ready for launch; for their Wii title, they'd already used high-resolution assets and trimmed them down.

I assume Nintendo's internal divisions have been doing like-wise for the last couple of years, thus the 720P Wii U Zelda tech demo being prepared in - what - three weeks?

Question for folk who've read this entire thread (if that's possible; I've been dipping in and out of it) - has Nintendo definitely ruled out upscaling for Wii games? Or just hardware-based upscaling? If the machine has plenty of RAM and power, I'd be surprised if a software solution has been ruled out.

Cheers

They have, at least for straight Wii games. You only need to look at Dolphin to see what a potential glitchy mess hardware or software would be. You'd need to tweak the settings for each game individually and test it.

It's possible (probable) that they'll release some HD 'remakes' at one point, maybe even with added Ublet functionality.

BurntPork

Banned
MDX said:
Well the customer is actually AMD, isnt it?
Who has to supply the GPU to Nintendo.
No, the customer isn't AMD. The GPU will be custom, and Nintendo's own engineers will play a big part. Plus, Nintendo isn't going to pay AMD to pay TSMC to make the GPU. The Wii GPU isn't produced by TSMC, so it's unlikely that that the Wii U's will be.

BurntPork

Banned
wsippel said:
Nintendo typically gets their custom silicon from IBM, NEC, Fujitsu and Macronix. As far as I'm aware, they've never worked with TSMC or Global Foundries. The Wii U chipset will most likely either be manufactured at IBM (if it's an SoC), or IBM will do the CPU and NEC will do the GPU and system logic VLSI.
Exactly.

@NinjaTehFish: That's 90 million over 5 years. I'm pretty sure that AMD, NVidia, and ARM chip makers can do better than that.

I really hope IBM isn't doing it, though. That would mean the GPU is 45nm, which kills any chance of this being more than twice as powerful as current consoles permanently.

EDIT: ... And this forum needs a delete button.

wsippel

Banned
BurntPork said:
I really hope IBM isn't doing it, though. That would mean the GPU is 45nm, which kills any chance of this being more than twice as powerful as current consoles permanently.
Dunno about that. Designing a system as a SoC from the get go should allow for some really clever trickery. You can work with insane bus widths, shared eDRAM and other fun stuff.

JohnB

StreetsAhead said:
They have, at least for straight Wii games. You only need to look at Dolphin to see what a potential glitchy mess hardware or software would be. You'd need to tweak the settings for each game individually and test it.

It's possible (probable) that they'll release some HD 'remakes' at one point, maybe even with added Ublet functionality.

Surely though the problem with Dolphin is it has to cover all sorts of hardware and drivers?

I don't see that being a problem, on say, a fixed system such as a console. The PAL PS3 had software emulation - obviously it didn't work for many games glitch-free.

I'm just wondering if Wii U is about 2-3 times more powerful than the current generation of HD consoles then some Wii games should easily be upscaled, since the Wii is roughly 1/3rd as powerful as PS3/360.

As for HD "remakes" (or just upscaled and sold for £20) for GC games that's for certain!

I can see Nintendo - if they get their online store set up properly this time - having say, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Metroid Prime HD, Luigi's Mansion HD (insert a Nintendo developed GC title of your choice here!) available from day one as they did with Wii and Super Mario 64.

With the controller I'd be surprised (and dismayed) if they didn't do such a thing from a business perspective (as well as having a great launch line-up of games folk might never have played).

Regards

guek

Banned
I'd be happy if they had $10 "HD upgrade packs" on their estore that allowed you to download a small patch for their emulator that could allow you to upscale a wii games you already owned to HD. It'd be more or less custom settings for their emulator client that allows you run specific wii games in HD with minimal glitches.

They could also reprint games and release a "wii select HD" line for $20 each for people that didn't already own the games.

BurntPork

Banned
You guys seriously think that Nintendo would release HD ports for only $/£20? Come on guys! We'd be lucky if they were only $/£30.

totowhoa

Banned
BeauRoger said:

Doubt they'd do that, but I could see an HD collection of WW and TP popping up at 40 bucks early on, and I would buy that shit so fast. Nintendo rarely passes up a chance to re-release their games.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I'm sure this has been discussed to death but I have a question:

When do you think Nintendo will show off WiiU games for the first time?

Surely they're not waiting for e3 2012 as with the likelihood of Microsoft showing off their new platform that would be unpalatable graphical comparison to make.

Witchfinder General said:
I'm sure this has been discussed to death but I have a question:

When do you think Nintendo will show off WiiU games for the first time?

Surely they're not waiting for e3 2012 as with the likelihood of Microsoft showing off their new platform that would be unpalatable graphical comparison to make.
Well according to bgassassin, his """""source"""""* tells him there will be a Wii U conference before the end of the year/at the end of the year. If that doesn't happen, there will probably be one in January/February, and if that doesn't happen, sometime before E3.

*As requested d:

Kazerei

Banned
GDC is March 5-9, 2012. Surely we'll get some Wii U info during then, and maybe even earlier.

Edit: Oh wait, I forgot about CES, which is January 10-13. Nintendo hasn't exhibited there since the N64 launched, but last year they did hold a press conference during the event.

Put lots of "" around source Ice. :D

PuppetSlave said:
So just for comparison how many Gamecubes would the Wii be in that case? Or the PS3/360 for that matter.

Just an idle thought. If thats a pain in the ass to calculate never mind.

It's not a problem at all. This will be based on numbers from other sites since it was just easier to look them up that way.

PS3 - 57.35 GCs duct-taped together

360 - 32.29 GCs duct-taped together

Wii - 1.45 GCs duct-taped together

My Wii U spec - 156.01 GCs duct-taped together

guek

Banned
IceDoesntHelp said:
Well according to bgassassin, his source tells him there will be a Wii U conference before the end of the year/at the end of the year. If that doesn't happen, we lynch bgassassin there will probably be one in January/February, and if that doesn't happen, sometime before E3

*cough*

we're reaching a point of diminishing returns with graphics. Even if MS has a next gen console I think it'll come down to games more than anything.

guek

Banned
bgassassin said:

It's not a problem at all. This will be based on numbers from other sites since it was just easier to look them up that way.

what's your Wii U spec again? I recall you posting it awhile back (i think) but i'm too lazy to go searching for it

BurntPork

Banned
bgassassin said:

Hm. Are you only comparing GPUs here?

BurntPork

Banned
60_gig_PS3 said:
we're reaching a point of diminishing returns with graphics. Even if MS has a next gen console I think it'll come down to games more than anything.
Something tells me that this will be proven wrong yet again. I mean, Samaritan...

EDIT:
GODDAMMIT! GAH! FUCKING SHIT! WHY DO I KEEP DOING THIS!?! I'm going to do something about my horrible memory... I know!

headbashwall.gif

It's total system BP and I just realized I transposed my CPU clock so while not significant it should be 156.4 GCs.

Actually Thunder, RSX is supposedly 400.4 GFLOPS while Xenos is 240. Reiterates how I felt that 360 is essentially a "modern at the time" Gamecube.

Yeah Doom. Going by FLOPS and the numbers given for Wii that's it, lol.

Guek, my (I don't know how many-th) version of my specs look like this based on my recent GPU prediction.

CPU - Tri-core 3.645Ghz (16MB L2 cache) (87.48 GFLOPS)

Memory (assuming DDR3/GDDR5 split) - 1-1.5 GB of DDR3 1822.5Mhz, 512MB-1GB of GDDR5 5467.5Mhz (Don't let the ranges fool you. There would be no more than 2GB total and most likely 1.5GB total.)

GPU - 896 ALUs 911.25Mhz (64MB? e1T-SRAM) (1632.96 GFLOPS)

Memory Bandwidth - GDDR5 175GB/s, DDR3 58.3GB/s (not sure if this is completely accurate)

guek said:

<_<

>_>

^_^

bgassassin said:

Memory (assuming DDR3/GDDR5 split) - 1-1.5 GB of DDR3 1822.5Mhz, 512MB-1GB of GDDR5 5467.5Mhz (Don't let the ranges fool you. There would be no more than 2GB total and most likely 1.5GB total.)

Memory Bandwidth - GDDR5 175GB/s, DDR3 58.3GB/s (not sure if this is completely accurate)
UiMuK.gif

I'm gonna back out now, I have no idea if that is good or not ;_;

guek

Banned
bgassassin said:

1264205722501.png

bgassassin said:

Thanks! Pretty cool that Gravijah was only 1.2 GC from the real Wii value.

StreetsAhead said:
Now that there's been a few more game announcements for the 3DS, I thought I'd re-do my list of what first and second party developers are up to.
I find your lack of Pikmin 3 disturbing
EDIT: I CANT READ

bgassassin said:
It's total system BP and I just realized I transposed my CPU clock so while not significant it should be 156.4 GCs.

Actually Thunder, RSX is supposedly 400.4 GFLOPS while Xenos is 240. Reiterates how I felt that 360 is essentially a "modern at the time" Gamecube.

Yeah Doom. Going by FLOPS and the numbers given for Wii that's it, lol.

Guek, my (I don't know how many-th) version of my specs look like this based on my recent GPU prediction.

<_<

>_>

^_^
Huh.

I did not know that about Xenos... Ease of use apparently means a lot more than I gave it credit.

guek

Banned
the pessimist in me feel like bgassassin is overshooting those specs a tad, but I don't think it's an obscene prediction or out of the realm of possibility. It's hard to imagine devs not being happy with such a machine, even if it is eventually surpassed with ease by the next MS/Sony boxes.

guek said:
the pessimist in me feel like bgassassin is overshooting those specs a tad, but I don't think it's an obscene prediction or out of the realm of possibility. It's hard to imagine devs not being happy with such a machine, even if it is eventually surpassed with ease by the next MS/Sony boxes.

Could be. The GPU would be where I think I'd be off the most. I went with a 14-cluster, VLIW4 setup. 12 would be 768 and probably the most comparable to a 4870. The clock is influenced by the leaked 7000 numbers, but also keeps the multiples going so it would definitely be up in the air.

But if you notice we haven't really heard much since the dev kits were "de-underclocked", so who really knows how devs really feel. Especially since you have someone like Peter Moore going to check on specs.

BurntPork said:
Something tells me that this will be proven wrong yet again. I mean, Samaritan...

headbashwall.gif

What I mean by diminishing returns is that next gen your gonna see a really good looking Pikmin game and a really good looking Halo game. Both in HD.
Its not going to be like this gen where the Wii was massively underpowered by design.

AlStrong

bgassassin said:

The figure for RSX is misleading because it isn't calculated right, plus it's a peak figure that doesn't distinguish between pixel shaders or vertex shaders or the fact that half of the pixel shader ALUs have to handle texture addressing instructions...

Xenos is unified, so it doesn't matter, and they handle vec4+1 as opposed to vec4 on RSX/G7x. Texture addressing is fully orthogonal. Lots of devs take advantage of this since you can, for instance, issue more texture instructions whilst ALU ops complete or vice versa if for some reason the dev is doing something texture heavy, they might as well do some extra math on some other shader simultaneously.

Anyways, the main point is that directly comparing GFLOPs when the architectures are fundamentally different is pointless.

You're assuming 256-bit buses for both memory types.

60_gig_PS3 said:
What I mean by diminishing returns is that next gen your gonna see a really good looking Pikmin game and a really good looking Halo game. Both in HD.
Its not going to be like this gen where the Wii was massively underpowered by design.

That's not what diminishing returns means, though, which is why there was head-walling.

bgassassin said:

I really want you to start comping parts on these and calculating power budgets.

I don't think that DDR3 runs that fast in Mhz, maybe in MT/s though....

60_gig_PS3 said:

I agree partly with what you mean. Personally I would be happy with Assassin's Creed level graphics, but with a 60 fps framerate and no pop-in, but Wii U cannot be too much different from the others in order to make sure most 3rd party games will be coming to Wii U as well.

TunaLover

How do you think will be the cost breakdown for the bundle?
I say:
20% controller
80% system

The high cost on the controller doesn´t allow Nintendo make a great investement in hardware, since they (historically) don´t lose money for each unit sold, and they try to keep prices low.

Luigiv

DoomXploder7 said:
so the 2 GCs duct taped together meme was being generous ? lol (going by whatever metric you used)
Sort of. bgassassin is going purely by proccessor power, which are identical in architeture but 50% on the Wii. However that isn't really the whole story. The Wii's other major enhancement is that it's dog slow 16MB ARAM chip was replaced with a blazing fast 64MB GDDR3 chip. This makes a huge difference and in practise allows the devs to extract more out of the proccessors then they would have otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom