• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMufasa

Maybe Square-Enix will put a good Crystal Chronicles on it.

You know, like the Gamecube one.

LIKE THE GAMECUBE ONE, SQUARE.

I re-bought that game last month. So good. Had they continued in that direction (and maybe made it multiplatform), I think this series had the potential to be huge.

Regarding the multiplatform situation of Wii U alongside an MS or Sony system with a definite tech advantage: As a worst case scenario I'm imagining how much better off Wii would've been with 192 MB of RAM and a GPU similar to something ATI released in 2003.

DCKing

Regarding the multiplatform situation of Wii U alongside an MS or Sony system with a definite tech advantage: As a worst case scenario I'm imagining how much better off Wii would've been with 192 MB of RAM and a GPU similar to something ATI released in 2003.
I always thought Nintendo did the worst possible with the Wii. Even if it was a no-go for them to stray from the GameCube design, they still could've spent more R&D money to develop a dual core CPU variation and slapping on unified shaders to the original Gekko design.

2x Gekko cores @ 729 MHz
48 MB 1T-SRAM + 64 MB GDDR3
1x Flipper core @ 243 MHz with 8 unified shader units (360 has 48) as well as the original TEVs

This would actually have the potential to be a generational leap. id Tech 4, Source, UE3.0 and everything else would run on this. Raising the clock speed is not enough, Nintendo.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I always thought Nintendo did the worst possible with the Wii. Even if it was a no-go for them to stray from the GameCube design, they still could've spent more R&D money to develop a dual core CPU variation and slapping on unified shaders to the original Gekko design.

2x Gekko cores @ 729 MHz
48 MB 1T-SRAM + 64 MB GDDR3
1x Flipper core @ 243 MHz with 8 unified shader units (360 has 48) as well as the original TEVs

This would actually have the potential to be a generational leap. id Tech 4, Source, UE3.0 and everything else would run on this. Raising the clock speed is not enough, Nintendo.
Slapping unified shaders on Flipper is OOTQ. They could go dual GPU though, at the associated cost.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Of course they don't have a fetish for underpowered hardware, but they do have a philosophy of big profits on hardware, nowdays more than ever before.
Nowadays they are apparently selling the 3DS at a loss.

Nintendo likes simplicity when it comes to hardware design, with the only exception being the N64.

I don't think they would do it.
They did with the 3DS.

Does anyone find it kinda funny and disappointing that despite every Nintendo home console being able to link to the internet since 1988 (NES>Wii), Nintendo still have yet to have a completely streamlined service?

I know i do...

Japanese devs. At least I imagine that's where we will see the most exclusives coming from early on. Nintendo seems to have a vice grip on many of them in the handheld space, and with no PS4 in sight the WiiU could very well become the de-facto console to develop for. Dragon Quest X being multi plat Wii/WiiU plus first party stuff, ensures the console will probably do well out of the gates, and have a solid jrpg base(paving the way for Monolith, and future rpgs?). Wii U could end up being the lead platform and/or timed exclusive for some Japanese games, particularly if the PS4 comes later rather than sooner.

They've clearly rebuilt a pretty strong relationship with Capcom and SE thanks to the publishing they have done for them with MH and Dragon Quest respectively, and both are putting big support behind the 3DS so it will be interesting to see if that carries over to the WiiU.

Ubisoft seems to be doing cool things with the system as well, and they are on board very early this time so hopefully that means their first games won't be rushed shit like Red Steel. Killer Freaks looks interesting at least.

I suspect that the rest of the western studios will be looking to do some collection ports, and ports of current games, but I doubt they will make much use of of the screen outside of some minor things.

I believe WiiU has the potential for semi-strong Western 3rd party support right out of the gate. Besides Sega, Capcom, and other Japanese publishers offering up their Western styled/developed games, most major Western publishers, such as EA, Ubisoft, and Activision seem to be 100% on board. Valve and Epic look ready to join the party as well. The only publisher which has continued to hold out is Take Two. Everyone knows Nintendo are courting them, and I wouldn't be surprised to get some ports out of them eventually. Unfortunately, Chinatown Wars tanked...but with Ken Levine's comments maybe we can hope for a GotY edition of Bioshock Infinite or something...

Deguello

I believe WiiU has the potential for semi-strong Western 3rd party support right out of the gate. Besides Sega, Capcom, and other Japanese publishers offering up their Western styled/developed games most major Western publishers, such as EA, Ubisoft, and Activision seem to be 100% on board. Valve and Epic look ready to join the party as well. The only publisher which has continued to hold out is Take Two. Everyone knows Nintendo are courting them, and I wouldn't be surprised to get some ports out of them eventually. Unfortunately, Chinatown Wars tanked...but with Ken Levine's comments maybe we can hope for a GotY edition of Bioshock Infinite or something...

Chinatown Wars didn't necessarily tank because of Nintendo or DS. The game was different from what made GTA famous on the consoles. The GTA games on the PSP were did better, but only for a while, especially when it seemed that all they were doing was just repackaging PS2 games to sell again. The fact that Chinatown wars on the PSP didn't succeed as well as the others shows it was the game's deviation from what people expect from GTA, not that the problem lied with Nintendo or the DS.

Slapping unified shaders on Flipper is OOTQ. They could go dual GPU though, at the associated cost.
I believe the 3DS works that way, though - you can choose to either use Gamecube/Wii's odd shader system, or you can use the standard OpenGL fragment shader system, but not both at once. It's like they built a portable Wii, and tacked on the standard shader system.

Gaborn

Nintendo was never going to show the games before the Wii's last holiday season.

How long afterward is the question.

I really believe (and I could be wrong but I still BELIEVE it dammit) that Nintendo is going to do a Nintendo World event some time before March of this year to introduce the Wii U a little bit. I understand they're planning the FULL re-unveil at E3 but there's too much information to all be communicated in one event like that.

Historically Nintendo has introduced it's new hardware at Space World/Nintendo World shows and I FULLY expect that to continue with the Wii U to an extent. I think it would have the further advantage of taking at least some of the thunder out of the Vita's debut and reignite the hype around the console. At such an event i would expect a limited number of games to be shown from Nintendo itself as well as the console's online strategy to be unveiled. I think E3 will be about playable games, pricing information, and some games we won't know about.

As I've noted before, Nintendo did a Nintendo World last January for the 3DS, I would expect a similar 1st quarter event for Wii U.

I think we'll get some minor info around GDC. Maybe news on Wii U's Virtual Console, since Nintendo has a bit if a history of doing VC announcements at GDC.

Demographics change depending on the system.

The Wii for example has a lot of new gamers which are more interested in more casual experiences and there are many games out there that wouldn't fit that description which means the actual audience for that game may not be big enough to warrant a port from scratch to the system.

I know people like to victimize themselves, but things are not as black or white as they are usually portrayed on gaming forums; factors vary from game to game and decisions are made based on profitability and spectations.

And sometimes publishers are just wrong, but that's another story.

I don't really want to get too deep into this as we've had a thread here about it already and we've talked it to death at this point. But look up "3rd Party wall of Shame".

The demographics for the system are directly related to the software released for it, and outside of Nintendo, the majority of software was casual crap. 3rd parties didn't provide the Wii with the software to keep the "demographic" they pursue on the PS360, so now there is no reason for that demographic to be on the Wii. Like was already said, "It's a vicious cycle"

Nintendo consoles have been pegged as consoles for Kids and "Casuals" regardless of the fact that nearly everyone (or someone they know) owns/owned a damn Wii at some point. It's the software that helped keep that stereotype alive and no better example than the Capcom test.
Port RE4 as a test, get good sales, follow up with RE UC as another test with a promise of more like RE4, get good sales, follow up with a sequel to RE UC instead of RE5, get not so good sales... we failed the test. No RE5 for Wii!!

So as much as it seems that we may like to "victimize" ourselves, I think we were right on point about the 3rd party situation as a whole. they may have initially bet on the wrong horse, but they've had plenty of chances to correct it, but decided to double down on their misplaced bets instead. The demographic is the one they shaped it to be, so when they finally do decide to release some of those games on the Wii, they can't be surprised when it doesn't perform nearly as well as the PS360 versions after 5 years of the "demographic" being ignored on the Wii.

I know there are technical reason for not supporting the Wii as HD budgets exploded and having to rework things on a completely different engine with a whole different coding and barely better graphics than what they've been working on for the prior 5 years wasn't what they wanted to do, but hopefully they don't make the same mistake again since one of their main reasons this gen will not be a valid excuse for next.

Gaborn

[Nintex];32828436 said:
That's because 3DS launched early this year. Wii U won't be out untill next fall.

Actually my guess is it will be a little sooner than that. July-ish. You might have noticed Nintendo has only said after march 31, never said Fall.

Luckyman

Banned
Japanese devs. At least I imagine that's where we will see the most exclusives coming from early on. Nintendo seems to have a vice grip on many of them in the handheld space, and with no PS4 in sight the WiiU could very well become the de-facto console to develop for. Dragon Quest X being multi plat Wii/WiiU plus first party stuff, ensures the console will probably do well out of the gates, and have a solid jrpg base(paving the way for Monolith, and future rpgs?). Wii U could end up being the lead platform and/or timed exclusive for some Japanese games, particularly if the PS4 comes later rather than sooner.

Wii U is competing vs PS3 for support out of the gates. PS3 has demonstrated it can do decent software sales that are hard to ignore by any publisher. The PS4 is not even in discussion

daakusedo

Even if it release soon after e3, that's too long to follow and hope about some news. Skyward sword was already painful to wait for, the last two months.
I won't get the console too much in mind, but there's this topic everyday on first page, that's hard...

Other than Nintendo, who's gonna kick ass on the Wii-U?

I'm going with Ubisoft especially after the comment from them not too long ago about the Wii still makng up 45% of their business.

Taking Killer Freaks from PS360 and apparently making it a Wii U exclusive for launch is a start in that direct to me.

EA Sports games should be another. I think Madden can be a system mover on its own. If I were Nintendo I would use that game to push the adoption of a second controller since its cost is their concern. Give people a reason to buy it and they will.

Capcom should have a strong presence.

Activision for no other reason than CoD.

Sega because they seem to have a close relationship with Nintendo.

I think these are the obvious ones.

Now to go out on a limb with a wild card pick, I'm going to say Valve. They seem to have a similar gaming philosophy to Nintendo and I can see them properly taking advantage of Nintendo's "flexible" online system.

All this means to me is that they had nothing else to compare it to.
Maybe thats what Nintendo simply put in the box for the developers?
They took an unrestrained Xbox360 XCGPU with loads of eDRAM.

How and why would you pursue Xenon with a Power7?

Same way they got Xenon from Cell. Take the core, modify it, and make a new chip. Remember MS originally wanted Xenon to be a 3.5Ghz OoOe chip. POWER7 should make that easy to achieve.

I assume lherre's info is coming from the target spec sheet of the retail kit for him to say 3 cores with 2 threads each. I personally think they started with a modified Xenon as that's the closest thing readily available to reach that target. I remember a dev saying there were things they could do in the first kit that they couldn't do in the second. While that's far from a clear indication of what changed, maybe they got some prototypes of the new CPU?

Does anyone find it kinda funny and disappointing that despite every Nintendo home console being able to link to the internet since 1988 (NES>Wii), Nintendo still have yet to have a completely streamlined service?

I know i do...

I definitely find it funny sometimes. The company that almost invented the present day internet doesn't have a "proper" online component for their consoles

Azure J

Other than Nintendo, who's gonna kick ass on the Wii-U?

Pretty much gonna second bgassassin's list and add Square-Enix from the big guys to the list if only because I've deluded myself into hoping that SE pulls a smart maneuver and makes a The World Ends With You (U) Too that hits around launch, capitalizing on the folks looking for some RPG love, gets momentum from the Neku in KH3D appearance and being an awesome as fuck game and becomes a new cornerstone RPG franchise on the Nintendo side of things.

Final Fantasy is so 1987 after all. :p [/hipster gamer]

Deguello

Sega because they seem to have a close relationship with Nintendo.

Oh god they better. The story of Sega this generation is of them making a big project HD game that tanks or otherwise underperforms, and then hitting up Nintendo's Mario and Sonic Olympic Sega Welfare Program for essentially a no strings attached grant.

Sega has Nintendo to thank for even being alive at this point.

Instro

Wii U is competing vs PS3 for support out of the gates. PS3 has demonstrated it can do decent software sales that are hard to ignore by any publisher. The PS4 is not even in discussion

Oh absolutely, that is certainly the challenge for them, but its a much more favorable one than in the west. PS3 has been an ok console for japanese devs, but certainly not the success that the PS2 was. WiiU becoming lead platform for many of them is very possible I think, given the current situation.

Winning over Capcom and SE is particularly important I think. Not just for domestic reasons, but both have some very popular franchises(SE also holds the Eidos stuff as well) that do well in the west which would help Nintendo reconnect with the "western gamer" so to speak. Nintendo already has both of them in a big way on the 3DS, getting that to carry over to the WiiU would be huge. Just having DQX appear on the console is a big deal I think. It's a reliable franchise, so it could be something that convinces other devs to throw support in for the console knowing that there will be a solid base of people who dont just buy Nintendo games.

Obviously Sega is a given at this point imo.

I definitely find it funny sometimes. The company that almost invented the present day internet doesn't have a "proper" online component for their consoles

Wait... can you clarify what is meant by this? I love to give Nintendo credit where it's due, but I'm not sure how they "almost invented" the modern internet. Can you please be more specific?

Neifirst

I haven't followed WiiU news at all since E3, so apologies if this has been addressed.

My understanding is that WiiU is backward compatible with Wii games out of the box. Has Nintendo talked about whether there will be an auto resolution upgrade? Could they theoretically do something similar to the Dolphin emulator if they wished to? I really want to play Skyward Sword, but don't really want to buy a Wii at this point just for that game, especially if I can get a better looking version of it sometime next year. Thanks for any information!

BurntPork

Banned
I haven't followed WiiU news at all since E3, so apologies if this has been addressed.

My understanding is that WiiU is backward compatible with Wii games out of the box. Has Nintendo talked about whether there will be an auto resolution upgrade? Could they theoretically do something similar to the Dolphin emulator if they wished to? I really want to play Skyward Sword, but don't really want to buy a Wii at this point just for that game, especially if I can get a better looking version of it sometime next year. Thanks for any information!

From what we know now, no. Nintendo is likely hoping for hardware emulation, which would make changing... well, anything impossible. They'd have to go with software emulation to modify the game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
DCKing said:
I don't understand the render pipeline as much as I'd like, but wouldn't it just be an extra feature to the GPU?

I believe the 3DS works that way, though - you can choose to either use Gamecube/Wii's odd shader system, or you can use the standard OpenGL fragment shader system, but not both at once. It's like they built a portable Wii, and tacked on the standard shader system.
No, unified shaders is a fundamental trait of the design - you can't just add it to a GPU as a post-factum feature. Unified shaders means that there's a threading control model in there, with the associated scheduling logic, load balancing logic, thread queues, etc. It's perhaps the most definitive feature you build a design around, and not something that can be an afterthought.

As per the 3DS - its (vertex) shaders are not a 'on/off' feature - they are always used, and exposed by the API under an extension (just as the fixed pixel shading features are exposed as an API extension). It's just that OpenGL ES1 (which is what 3DS native API is more or less) can abstract the fact the pipeline is shader-based/has shader sections and pretend it's all a fixed pipeline for those occasions devs would not use the shader hw directly for some reason. But that's how OpenGL ES1 works on every modern GPU out there - outside of any API extensions (i.e. optional parts to the core API) it abstracts whatever shader architecture lies underneath and present to the client a fixed-function pipeline circa pre-OpenGL2.

As it stands now, Nintendo has said that Wii U will not do that for Wii games.

Oh god they better. The story of Sega this generation is of them making a big project HD game that tanks or otherwise underperforms, and then hitting up Nintendo's Mario and Sonic Olympic Sega Welfare Program for essentially a no strings attached grant.

Haha. Well Bayonetta was a million seller. I don't know how some of their other games did.

Actually my guess is it will be a little sooner than that. July-ish. You might have noticed Nintendo has only said after march 31, never said Fall.

They say that because March 31st ends their current Fiscal year. It doesn't mean they are going to break the norm and release it during the summer.

I don't think they've done as well as you might think. EA is one of the "big" ones and they've lost money every single year this generation including this last year. Sony is a publisher and they've bled every single penny they've earned in video games. Square Enix has seen console titles underperform pretty badly and was buoyed by DS games that sold similar numbers and cost much less to make. Midway, a major player last gen, is dead now.
I'm talking as a whole, not specifics.

EA has been quite lost this gen, constantly changing their minds, and have pretty much switched roles with Activision.

Sony has bled due to hardware loses, not software.

In other cases, it varies.

I think your forgetting that Nintendo is a Japanese company whose HQ is in Japan.
Nintendo makes their products for locals first, and does what it can to interest customers overseas. This is why Nintendo has been designing consoles with small form factors, to please the Japanese markets.

The WiiU will probably be the first console Nintendo makes that might really cater to the western markets. As its breaking tradition with a bigger form factor. And thats because its packing some heat... so to speak. So they are going the direction of something more powerful.
I don't think so.

They have made decisions based on profits first and foremost when it comes to home consoles.

The NES, SNES and N64 weren't any smaller than the competition and it was only when they started losing market share and became more conservative that they started making smaller, more profit focused systems.

Wii U, just like the 3DS, is trying to recover part of the hardcore audience they had lost in recent years, mainly due to the lack of big third party support. They have probably realized that the new gamers they reached with the Wii are quite unpredictable and not very loyal and want to build a more balanced, more open system for all kind of gamers (even if they still don't want to pursue a more powerful/less profitable system like Sony/MS do).

They are reacting to the Wii's current situation and the potential threat that is Apple.

Oh, things would have been much different; not perfect but better.

They could have probably lost BC though.

Nowadays they are apparently selling the 3DS at a loss.

They did with the 3DS.
I don't know the manufacturing costs of the 3DS so after the price drop this could be true. But I suspect they are losing very little money and mostly because they didn't meet their sales expectations. They bled money at launch with the GC too, but it was a laughable amount.

Nintendo is not going to bleed $150-200 per system sold like Sony or MS do, that's for sure.

Regarding of what they are going to do with the Wii U, all I know is that they like simplicity but I don't have a crystal ball and different factors could lead them to do unexpected things. We can only base our speculations and predictions on what's to be expected from Nintendo.

It's amazing that a company that's got EA Sports titles, Battlefield, and everything else doesn't manage to make a profit.
My guess is mismanagement.

MDX

Same way they got Xenon from Cell. Take the core, modify it, and make a new chip. Remember MS originally wanted Xenon to be a 3.5Ghz OoOe chip. POWER7 should make that easy to achieve.

Ok, so what you are saying is that Nintendo is using that Xenon as a model for designing their Power7 CPU?

Deguello

I'm talking as a whole, not specifics.

EA has been quite lost this gen, constantly changing their minds, and have pretty much switched roles with Activision.

Sony has bled due to hardware loses, not software.

In other cases, it varies.

Well, AS A WHOLE, yes publishers did make a lot of money this generation. But that's mostly Nintendo's profit. It would be like saying this classroom full of D-students has a B-average just because one genius is in it.

There were years where the only reason the industry as a whole put any numbers on the board was because Nintendo counteracted all the losses from the other publishers. Heck even Activision lost money last year, and they had CODBLOPS, Starcraft II, AND WoW tithes.

I think you're thinking of Atari. Nintendo may have experimented with an online network with the NES, but it was Atari's GameLine network that eventually became AOL.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

In terms of full-committed projects (non-spinoffs, non-casual fare), I'd say Sega was the best third-party on Wii. Sonic Colors, House of the Dead: Overkill, 428, Nights sequel, ports of Sonic Unleashed and All-Stars racing, two other exclusive Sonic games, etc. Sega's certainly been better than EA, Square, and Capcom.

In terms of full-committed projects (non-spinoffs, non-casual fare), I'd say Sega was the best third-party on Wii. Sonic Colors, House of the Dead: Overkill, 428, Nights sequel, ports of Sonic Unleashed and All-Stars racing, two other exclusive Sonic games, etc. Sega's certainly been better than EA, Square, and Capcom.

I'd have to agree (along with Atlus). They put solid effort into most of the stuff they made and most of it was quite good indeed.

It's amazing that a company that's got EA Sports titles, Battlefield, and everything else doesn't manage to make a profit.

All part of their long-term strategy to strangle the rest of the industry to death by raising average development costs to the point where only they can survive and afford said ridiculous dev costs.

MDX

I don't think so.

They have made decisions based on profits first and foremost when it comes to home consoles.

The NES, SNES and N64 weren't any smaller than the competition and it was only when they started losing market share and became more conservative that they started making smaller, more profit focused systems.

Well you dont have to believe what Nintendo stated about the Wii size:

Iwata:
Wii certainly stands out in comparison with the other game consoles that are available. Firstly, it's by far the smallest. Tell us a bit about this.

Takamoto:
Well, as you said, one of the most striking aspects of Wii is its small size. Our specific target in developing this console was to make it no larger than 2 or 3 stacked DVD cases. Of course, this was a direct order from you! (laughs)

Iwata:
I actually stacked up a few DVD cases and said, "I'd like to make it about this size!" (laughs) I guess this must have come as a shock to you?

Takamoto:
"Well, I was more stumped than shocked! (laughs) When we first started developing Wii I was somewhat dubious as to why we needed to make it so small, but I came to understand this vision as development progressed. That is to say, I came to realise that Wii should be inconspicuous when placed around the living room... We envisioned that it might be placed in a narrow space beside the TV, or in a tight space on top of some other equipment. We really felt that we had no choice other than to accomplish our goal of making Wii fit in this space. In the end, it was impossible to make it the size of 2 DVD cases, but we did somehow manage to make it as thick as 3 DVD cases. (laughs)"

Iwata:
The need to make Wii both small and strong was, fundamentally, a contradictory proposition. What other problems did you face in addition to making the console small?

Takamoto:
...we had to take into consideration where the console might be placed. Given that TVs nowadays have very little extra space around them, and given that a slot-loading drive allows for more compact access, it was an absolutely indispensable feature when thinking about our customers. Based on the kind of lifestyle our customers lead, and due to the fact that our controllers are wireless, I think we made the right decision.
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/iwata/iwata_asks_-_wii_32854_18058.html

The Wii was a success at this size it was. Small, sleek & simple.
The WiiU is bigger:

The original Wii was the smallest console Nintendo had ever made. At just 159 x 44 x 216mm

This shiny white look has been kept up with the Wii U which is 172 x 45 x 266 mm in size. Pretty small then, but a touch bigger current-gen Wii size. To give you an idea of how large the new Wii console is, an Xbox 360 sizes up at 309 x 83 x 258 mm.
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/40405/wii-u-vs-nintendo-wii

I think Nintendo has done what it can to keep the size down, but... what they have decided to pack in there makes it a problem. We also know that the WiiU can only be placed in one position, and it has more vents. And they have done that to capture the market that they lost with the Wii.

Log4Girlz

Well you dont have to believe what Nintendo stated about the Wii size:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/iwata/iwata_asks_-_wii_32854_18058.html

The Wii was a success at this size it was. Small, sleek & simple.
The WiiU is bigger:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/40405/wii-u-vs-nintendo-wii

I think Nintendo has done what it can to keep the size down, but... what they have decided to pack in there makes it a problem. We also know that the WiiU can only be placed in one position, and it has more vents. And they have done that to capture the market that they lost with the Wii.

Sigh, being a hair bigger than the Wii just about dooms its potential hardware-wise :(

F#A#Oo

Banned
For me Nintendo just need to come in at £199 or there abouts and Im sold...at worst it will be another GCN just for Nintendo software...

Ok, so what you are saying is that Nintendo is using that Xenon as a model for designing their Power7 CPU?

As speculation that's the direction I'm leaning towards based on everything we know so far. Nintendo wants development to be easy. 360 beat PS3 in that regard. At the same time Nintendo apparently prefers OoOe for their CPUs. There are supposedly the same amount of cores with the same amount of threads as Xenon. And Xenon already has a large amount of die space designated for L2 cache. Emulating a Xenon design with modified POWER7 cores would seem to be a cost effective way to get the power they want while making it easier on devs.

I think you're thinking of Atari. Nintendo may have experimented with an online network with the NES, but it was Atari's GameLine network that eventually became AOL.

In the context I'm talking about Gameline wouldn't fit, though I admit I learned something new. It seems to have been for downloading games only at the time. Nintendo's was used for stock trading, weather updates, banking, and some other things we do on the internet.

Instro

Sigh, being a hair bigger than the Wii just about dooms its potential hardware-wise :(

That assumes that what we saw at E3 was a finalized hardware design, which I doubt it was. Personally I think it could look a lot different come E32012 given that the console itself was barely shown last E3 and they are supposedly planning this "re-unveiling". Particularly considering it looks a bit to similar to the Wii, it might be a good idea to change it up. Honestly though gauging power from size is a waste of time, the system will be shipping without a HDD, and Nintendo has always been very good at designing compact hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom