• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii-U streaming tech: custom form of wifi, advertised range is conservative

Ydahs

If you take this quote at face value, it means that the hardware is simply standard WiFi, with custom software. Which would shoot down any arguments as to an increase in production cost for the gamepad due to custom communication hardware.

Huh? If anything, this article shows that it's true in hardware, they just need a better software stack.

It is hardware based though, since Miracast uses Wi-Fi Direct. From Wiki:
Wi-Fi Direct works by embedding a limited wireless access point into the devices, and using Wi-Fi Protected Setup system to negotiate a link. Setup generally consists of bringing two Wi-Fi Direct devices together and then triggering a "pairing" between them, using a button on one of the devices, or systems such as NFC.
Miracast can not run on all IP networks such as conventional Wi-Fi, wired Ethernet, HomePlug Powerline networking and Internet
not all devices equipped with Wi-Fi Direct have the capability to support Miracast

Unless it was designed to support it, it's unlikely the Vita will be able to work as a Wi-Fi Direct device. The PS3 is almost certainly not Wi-Fi Direct compatible, so it can't establish that pairing between the two.

Durante

Unless it was designed to support it, it's unlikely the Vita will be able to work as a Wi-Fi Direct device. The PS3 is almost certainly not Wi-Fi Direct compatible, so it can't establish that pairing between the two.
Good point. I wonder thought if it shouldn't be possible to establish a direct connection between Vita and PS3 by some other means, it doesn't have to be Wi-Fi Direct. My guess would be (and has been for a while) that the reason it works so well is a combination of low-latency encoding/decoding, and a low-latency network software stack that gets rid of TCP/IP overheads. Both of these are software issues really (though of course both can also be improved by dedicated hardware).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
If you take this quote at face value, it means that the hardware is simply standard WiFi, with custom software. Which would shoot down any arguments as to an increase in production cost for the gamepad due to custom communication hardware.
Of course there is custom communication hw, unless you think the frame compression is done on a cpu. As re the 'custom sw' - it's a custom network layer, could be the datalink layer just as well.

Huh? If anything, this article shows that it's true in hardware, they just need a better software stack.
A 'better software stack' is the same difference between MSDOS and WinNT. Apparently there's a significant technological difference introduced by the tech, so that the adoption of the Miracast standard requires deliberate effort from the various hw/fw vendors. We'll see how many vendors will manage to retroactively fit this tech in a-couple-of-year-old products. If Sony somehow manage to do that with the vita I'll be impressed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Good point. I wonder thought if it shouldn't be possible to establish a direct connection between Vita and PS3 by some other means, it doesn't have to be Wi-Fi Direct. My guess would be (and has been for a while) that the reason it works so well is a combination of low-latency encoding/decoding, and a low-latency network software stack that gets rid of TCP/IP overheads. Both of these are software issues really (though of course both can also be improved by dedicated hardware).

If you have wired up your PS3, it can act as an access point for remote play functions. And the HDMI chipset has proven very flexible to updating, so there is potential with that perhaps.

Thraktor

The radio is a fairly standard 802.11n (as we'd expected), but it's likely that there are a pair of ASICs handling the compression/decompression, which would potentially be expensive given the inability of any commercial solutions to achieve the necessary latency.

Is it a surprise to anyone that it uses a modified wifi protocol? You didn't think Nintendo somehow licensed it's own band of frequencies just for the gamepad did you? We knew it had to be some sort of existing protocol running on an existing bandwidth available to that.

Durante

Apparently there's a significant technological difference introduced by the tech, so that the adoption of the Miracast standard requires deliberate effort from the various hw/fw vendors. We'll see how many vendors will manage to retroactively fit this tech in a-couple-of-year-old products. If Sony somehow manage to do that with the vita I'll be impressed.
This is the point where I wish the Vita was an open platform. Would be fun to see how well you could get it to work using a PC, x264 "zero latency" mode and the Vita's built-in h264 decoding hardware.

Is it a surprise to anyone that it uses a modified wifi protocol? You didn't think Nintendo somehow licensed it's own band of frequencies just for the gamepad did you? We knew it had to be some sort of existing protocol running on an existing bandwidth available to that.
I'm not surprised at all, but there's a difference between a frequency band and a full wireless communications protocol such as 802.11.

Stewox

Banned
Interesting, does this match up with earlier theories about the tech behind the connectivity?

yes we we're saying all the time it's not bluetooth, this is nothing new, check my posts from months ago(search google too) i don't have bookmarks handy right now

the gamepad wireless tech will also use ~5ghz, great against common wlan interference

also broadcom cooperation was already mentioned before, in iwata asks, lol at polygon

This is the point where I wish the Vita was an open platform. Would be fun to see how well you could get it to work using a PC, x264 "zero latency" mode and the Vita's built-in h264 decoding hardware.

I'm not surprised at all, but there's a difference between a frequency band and a full wireless communications protocol such as 802.11.

Frequency bands are licensed by the government to companies. These companies have to fully describe what they plan on using their frequency for... The wireless protocol's are part of the 802.11 consortium. Nintendo could not use the wireless spectrum for 802.11 without using the technology without getting government approval (and of course, permission from the 802.11 consortium as well)

Thraktor

Frequency bands are licensed by the government to companies. These companies have to fully describe what they plan on using their frequency for... The wireless protocol's are part of the 802.11 consortium. Nintendo could not use the wireless spectrum for 802.11 without using the technology without getting government approval (and of course, permission from the 802.11 consortium as well)

WiFi operates on the 2.4GHz ISM band and 5GHz U-NII band, both of which are unlicensed in almost all countries. The only restrictions are on the maximum power output of any device which operates in the bands.

Edit: "Unlicensed" is an over-simplification. Licensing exists in many cases, but there are very few restrictions on the use of the bands, as the regulations don't guarantee interference-free operation.

Very very interesting information. If I read that correctly, Nintendo could offer a console that could have a Handheld portion anywhere you could get a Wi-Fi signal in the future. That's very interesting, even if it doesn't end up happening with the Wii U (maybe Wii U's successor?). I don't think it mentioned it, but is this technology exclusive to Nintendo?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Very very interesting information. If I read that correctly, Nintendo could offer a console that could have a Handheld portion anywhere you could get a Wi-Fi signal in the future.

This tech works locally.

Of course it could be extended to work over the net, but at a latency cost obviously (see: remote play).

I don't think it mentioned it, but is this technology exclusive to Nintendo?

The software would be. But if others wanted to use wifi miracast for this kind of thing they'd have their own software stack anyway.

I don't think it mentioned it, but is this technology exclusive to Nintendo?

That article was only about the wireless protocol, and that is not exclusive to Nintendo. What *is* exclusive to Nintendo is their software, which is really where the magic happens - the protocol allows it to have a nice fast connection even in places full of wifi interference, but the ability to stream video is mainly based on Nintendo's own video compression/decompression scheme which took them two years to perfect. In other words, don't expect anything else to be doing similar super-low-latency video streaming anytime soon.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They were extremely conservative about the range of the Wavebird. It got fairly good signal from 100 yards away.

oatmeal

Banned
6120921803_00e63c447e_z.jpg

That article was only about the wireless protocol, and that is not exclusive to Nintendo. What *is* exclusive to Nintendo is their software, which is really where the magic happens - the protocol allows it to have a nice fast connection even in places full of wifi interference, but the ability to stream video is mainly based on Nintendo's own video compression/decompression scheme which took them two years to perfect. In other words, don't expect anything else to be doing similar super-low-latency video streaming anytime soon.

That's what I thought. Like you said, the software is the important part.

I also think one of the most important parts were the ability to use "repeaters" and still achieve a super low latency. While there may not be plans for that now, it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If they actually released a upad repeater to essentially use it anywhere in the house regardless of most walls or interference, hot dang.

You can rag about Wii U's CPU etc. but this Wi-Fi tech is extremely cool and innovative. Once again Big N is cruising the new tech seas that are simply not on graphics whores charts.

majik13

so if wifi interferes, then why didnt they opt to put an ethernet port into the wiiu rather than only wifi? I was already leaning toward an adapter, but this gives me even more reason, all my consoles and desktop are wired, so hopefully that will help range.

Top Bottom