• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Update adds Off TV play for Wii mode (but you can't use gamepad to control)

LOL, I'm playing Xenoblade in bed! It's pretty silly playing with a classic controller but it's not as bad as I expected. It looks real nice too since it doesn't have to be upscaled like on my TV. I was disappointed about the gamepad controls not working, but I've come to terms with it and am pretty happy now. I might play more Wii games this way!

Nintendo announces a new feature that no one expected neither they promised, and people complain. Reading some threads have become really boring.

Oh please, let's not act like Wii games on gamepad hasn't been a much requested feature since launch.

Nintendo fanboys have gone from obnoxious to flat out dumb in their blind damage control. This is a stupid, pointless feature and there is nothing wrong with stating that. Just accept it and move on. Stop arguing against it.

Oh please, let's not act like Wii games on gamepad hasn't been a much requested feature since launch.

Nintendo fanboys have gone from obnoxious to flat out dumb in their blind damage control. This is a stupid, pointless feature and there is nothing wrong with stating that. Just accept it and move on. Stop arguing against it.

This is a requested feature previously said couldn't be done, that people had all but given up on realising it wasn't going to happen, then suddenly bam

Anti-Nintendo gamers have gone from obnoxious to flat out dumb in their blind criticisim. This is a needed, optional feature and there is nothing wrong with stating that its nice to get a feature nobody expects even if its not perfect. Just accept it and move on. Stop arguing against it.

:p

Did anyone get Dolby Pro Logic II working over HDMI with surround sound enabled for Wii games yet? Update says it fixed that, but it still does not work. Still have to use stereo mode and analog cables.

qko

Sadly I do hope they include controls for the Gamepad, but it would make buying VC on the Wii U eshop completely worthless, even the upgrade fee is worthless.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Glad you are focusing on the real important stuff, Nintendo.

Nobody will ever use this beyond the initial 5 minutes of "Huh, that's neat I guess".

Sadly I do hope they include controls for the Gamepad, but it would make buying VC on the Wii U eshop completely worthless, even the upgrade fee is worthless.

They should just charge an across-the-board upgrade fee for Wii games on the Gamepad.

DoubleTap

Neat update! I've been playing WiiU and Wii games using either a WiiU Pro Controller or Wii Classic controller/arcade stick setup anyway. I may still upgrade some of my WiiVC games to have them readily accessible and playing in bed.

Tybolt

Banned
I've noticed some people implying that even if they made the Gamepad function as a classic controller, there'd be hitches when games require the Wiimote alone while also using the controller.

Is there even a game that does that? The only games I see that tell you to change your controller setup mid-play are the Wii suite minigames, and that's not even relevant to this particular situation. Pretty much any game that supports the classic controller does it by default and automatically maps the analog as remote movement anyway, it's not like you have to enable it in anything I've seen.

Nobody is expecting a firmware update to download an accelerometer and motion plus into the damn thing, just to make it function as a classic controller.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I've noticed some people implying that even if they made the Gamepad function as a classic controller, there'd be hitches when games require the Wiimote alone while also using the controller.

Is there even a game that does that? The only games I see that tell you to change your controller setup mid-play are the Wii suite minigames, and that's not even relevant to this particular situation. Pretty much any game that supports the classic controller does it by default and automatically maps the analog as remote movement anyway, it's not like you have to enable it in anything I've seen.

Nobody is expecting a firmware update to download an accelerometer and motion plus into the damn thing, just to make it function as a classic controller.

AFAIK every Wii game with CC support is designed to be booted and played as a "traditional" game if the CC is plugged into the wii remote when loading the game.

Thus if a game detects "classic controller is present" when booting it never needs specific input from the wii remote buttons or the wii cursor to function at any point. It also doesn't need the wii remote to bring up the home button and quit back to the dashboard as the CC's analog stick functions for that.

Nags

Banned
One step forward, two steps back.
With this sort of implementation I really don't see any reason to play Wii mode on the gamepad. I'll just stick to the big screen.

Tybolt

Banned
AFAIK every Wii game with CC support is designed to be booted and played as a "traditional" game if the CC is plugged into the wii remote when loading the game.

Thus if a game detects "classic controller is present" when booting it never needs specific input from the wii remote buttons or the wii cursor to function at any point. It also doesn't need the wii remote to bring up the home button and quit back to the dashboard as the CC's analog stick functions for that.

That's exactly what I meant, yeah.

I was talking to a close friend earlier who thought about the problems in games requiring switching switching and I noticed some people in this thread somewhere down the line implying that switching wouldn't work, but I haven't seen a single game that's like, "Unplug the classic controller and just use the remote now", it's just not a thing.

The problem is that there are games that use BOTH the Wii Classic Controller and the Wii pointer at the same time. One of them is Monster Hunter 3 where you can point to different elements on the screen with the Wiimote to get more info on them, add them to your wishlist etc. while playing with the CCP attached to it. Really, people think it's OMG EASY to make the GamePad act like a CCP; I think there are many issues. It's up to Nintendo to see if they want to cover all cases for full compatibility.

With this sort of implementation I really don't see any reason to play Wii mode on the gamepad. I'll just stick to the big screen.

how on earth does this leave you in a worse position than before the update?

the level of ridiculousness by some posters here is shocking

DoubleTap

I don't see how it's a step back let alone two when you can still do all the things you can do before the update. Oh look, you can still play on the big screen.

The hyperbole is astounding.

The Gamepad stand is prety usefull for that.

While the GF is watching her sitcoms and dramas, I can play some Wii/VC games through my Gamepad. While not a "dealchanger", it's still very nice and usefull.

the only reason i'd play it off screen is for the mobility, it's just a pointless feature when done like this for me.

I just hope they can do it properly at some point.

Nags

Banned
That's exactly what I meant, yeah.

I was talking to a close friend earlier who thought about the problems in games requiring switching switching and I noticed some people in this thread somewhere down the line implying that switching wouldn't work, but I haven't seen a single game that's like, "Unplug the classic controller and just use the remote now", it's just not a thing.

It's not a thing because the classic controller is attached to the remote, often times still allowing the full functionality of the remote. Almost like attaching the nunchuk.

Nags

Banned
how on earth does this leave you in a worse position than before the update?

the level of ridiculousness by some posters here is shocking

Just my opinion. How on earth does your comment leave you in a better position? The level of damage control from some fans here is shocking.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Just my opinion. How on earth does your comment leave you in a better position? The level of damage control from some fans here is shocking.

Except your complaint literally makes no sense. "One step forward, two steps back"? How are you in any way in a worse position? There is functionality there that wasn't there before, and nothing was lost as a result.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The weirdest thing I learned in this thread is that the Wii U gamepad and Wii U Pro controller have completely different ways of sending input to the console..

I guess it was a cost cutting move not to have Bluetooth in the pad, and instead reinvent the wheel with regards to conventional input? Or did they not want the pad communicating across two separate protocols at once for a different reason?

The weirdest thing I learned in this thread is that the Wii U gamepad and Wii U Pro controller have completely different ways of sending input to the console..

I guess it was a cost cutting move not to have Bluetooth in the pad, and instead reinvent the wheel with regards to conventional input? Or did they not want the pad communicating across two separate protocols at once for a different reason?

well it would use more power to transmit two signals

Tybolt

Banned
Except your complaint literally makes no sense. "One step forward, two steps back"? How are you in any way in a worse position? There is functionality there that wasn't there before, and nothing was lost as a result.

I think the issue here (especially concerning the damage control remarks) is that they went ahead and added in a feature that was considered to not be possible, but they didn't go all the way with it and ended up with a humiliating end result that all in all would have been better off never being done.

Nags

Banned
I think the issue here (especially concerning the damage control remarks) is that they went ahead and added in a feature that was considered to not be possible, but they didn't go all the way with it and ended up with a humiliating end result that all in all would have been better off never being done.

Yeah, this.

I doubt very much it took much any real effort to send the wii mode video signal to the game pad, going the whole hog and using the control inputs on the pad would at the very least require a significant amount of effort/resources and may even not be technically possible at all, now this new feature does absolutely no harm to you or anyone else complaining so as long as some people will like it then of course it should have been done

^ Yeah, this.

my post applies to you too

Rocky

Banned
The problem is that there are games that use BOTH the Wii Classic Controller and the Wii pointer at the same time. One of them is Monster Hunter 3 where you can point to different elements on the screen with the Wiimote to get more info on them, add them to your wishlist etc. while playing with the CCP attached to it. Really, people think it's OMG EASY to make the GamePad act like a CCP; I think there are many issues. It's up to Nintendo to see if they want to cover all cases for full compatibility.

Why not just use the touchscreen for the pointer controls then? Though I'm not sure how they could do some of the motion controls, like the levels in Galaxy with Mario in the bubble.

Tybolt

Banned
I doubt very much it took much any real effort to send the wii mode video signal to the game pad, going the whole hog and using the control inputs on the pad would at the very least require a significant amount of effort/resources and may even not be technically possible at all, now this new feature does absolutely no harm to you or anyone else complaining so as long as some people will like it then of course it should have been done

Nobody knows how much effort and work it took to make this get done as is, but it was generally accepted as something that wasn't going to happen until it came out of left field last night. Any rational person initially hearing that "whoa, holy shit, I can play my Wii games on the gamepad" would be amazed, because that's something really worth praising until you're suddenly told it only works if you use the Wiimote -- expecting a consumer using a portable device to suddenly need to use peripherals when the buttons are RIGHT THERE is laughable.

...Except to this guy.

GoroMKSM.jpg

(Goro would appreciate this, but would also probably find it cumbersome since he could ideally be punching dudes with his other two arms while still playing! That is, assuming they were fighting within five feet of his Wii U before it drops its signal.)

Now here's someone who can hold the Gamepad, Wiimote and classic controller all at once without the need of a fanny pack or some time of chest-mounted rack. Giving me the option of off-TV play in a way that I need to set the tablet up like it's a TV, on a mount and then seating myself away so I can use the peripherals is inconvenient and just asinine.

Nobody knows how much effort and work it took to make this get done as is, but it was generally accepted as something that wasn't going to happen until it came out of left field last night. Any rational person initially hearing that "whoa, holy shit, I can play my Wii games on the gamepad" would be amazed, because that's something really worth praising until you're suddenly told it only works if you use the Wiimote -- expecting a consumer using a portable device to suddenly need to use peripherals when the buttons are RIGHT THERE is laughable.

...Except to this guy.

GoroMKSM.jpg

Now here's someone who can hold the Gamepad, Wiimote and classic controller all at once without the need of a fanny pack or some time of chest-mounted rack. Giving me the option of off-TV play in a way that I need to set the tablet up like it's a TV, on a mount and then seating myself away so I can use the peripherals is inconvenient and just asinine.

Wii-U_GamePad_Stand.jpg

its not like this was packed in with the system is it?

Tybolt

Banned
(Gamepad stand picture!)

its not like this was packed in with the system is it?

Only if you were one of the crazy folks who bought the Deluxe package, but I digress. I think part of the ideology behind off-TV play is that you can walk around or sit on the couch or lay in your bed and play, not set everything up elsewhere to have a 5" mini-TV.

Nags

Banned

my post applies to you too

Fair enough. You're right, nothing is lost.
Still seems half-baked though. I can't imagine many people would prefer this over full integration of classic controls on the gamepad.
If it is as easy as you describe, I'm not sure why this wasn't implemented from the beginning.

your acting like the people complaining actually bought a Wii-U

Well you would be wrong with your assumption in my case. Day one deluxe edition and all that jazz.
It's amazing to me that this is a thought process.
Like if I own the thing I'm completely obligated to like what they do. Sony makes terrible moves, MS makes terrible moves and so does Nintendo.

Did anyone get Dolby Pro Logic II working over HDMI with surround sound enabled for Wii games yet? Update says it fixed that, but it still does not work. Still have to use stereo mode and analog cables.

mine works fine i think, what do you get when using Wii mode and hdmi for sound?

fabprems

Why not just use the touchscreen for the pointer controls then? Though I'm not sure how they could do some of the motion controls, like the levels in Galaxy with Mario in the bubble.

Because very often you will have to touch the screen and press buttons at the same time :/

Tybolt

Banned

Don't look at me! I bought the Basic package for MH3U. Plugged in an external hard drive that's several times the size of the pithy deluxe version's storage that hasn't been used since formatting it, and bought Nintendoland brand new on clearance for $5. Minus the stand and the download credit I'll never need because there's nothing worth downloading for it that I can't buy on different platforms or cheaper on retail, I made off well enough to not regret the purchase considering how much time I clocked in on the game I bought it for.

NYCrooner

I wonder why the Gamepad/Wii Pro Controller still doesn't work with Wii games. It would seem like a simple software update with a driver for the Gamepad/Wii Pro Controller. THAT would be a killer update.

Only if you were one of the crazy folks who bought the Deluxe package, but I digress. I think part of the ideology behind off-TV play is that you can walk around or sit on the couch or lay in your bed and play, not set everything up elsewhere to have a 5" mini-TV.

I think you'll find something like 90% of wii u sales were the premium packs, only crazy people would have bought the basic which was such worse value

StevieP

Banned
Considering that apparently for ps2 games they're reselling on ps3 they're using an emulator that they could sell/give to provide emulation on stock ps3s....
I wouldn't be so sure BC isn't possible on ps4.

I would be.

That would require a ton of work, I'm sure. It would be far more of a waste of time than simply redirecting video output on the ATI chip.

well i'm not keen and I own one.

I just don't see the point of it if I have to plonk it on the stand to then use a controller. I might as well just use a telly then.

If it works for some then great but i'd like a proper full off screen, that'd be amazing.

Nags

Banned

I just don't see the point of it if I have to plonk it on the stand to then use a controller. I might as well just use a telly then.

If it works for some then great but i'd like a proper full off screen, that'd be amazing.

Yes and yes!

Tybolt

Banned
I think you'll find something like 90% of wii u sales were the premium packs, only crazy people would have bought the basic which was such worse value

Personally, I could absolutely not justify the deluxe purchase. I didn't want to pay full-price for Nintendoland, the 32GB was far less than that with considerations for the OS, and it's unable to hold most (larger) games without being on USB hard drive life-support since you need double the size to download and install (just like with the PS3) anyway, and the download credit was negligible at best. The stand is the only remaining perk, and it's just a chunk of plastic.

Personally, I could absolutely not justify the deluxe purchase. I didn't want to pay full-price for Nintendoland, the 32GB was far less than not considering the OS, and it unable to hold most games without being on USB hard drive life-support since you need double the size to download and install just like with the PS3 anyway, and the download credit was negligible at best. The stand is the only remaining perk, and it's just a chunk of plastic.

say your external harddrive brakes then your basic system doesn't even have enough space to hold more than a few patches and save datas, I have no intention of ever downloading retail titles so the 32gb will see me fine for at least a couple of years of eshop games/patches/saves/demos

50 extra quid for a fantastic game, a stand, a charger cradle, a sensor bar, being the right colour to fit in with the rest of my stuff, and the premium cash back thing which i'm sure it'll net me at least 20 quid back when it runs out, I couldn't justify not getting the premium

This x10000

The people defending this functionality are missing the point. If we have to plunk it back down on a stand to use the Wiimotes, the only thing we've done is made the TV smaller and made the experience worse.

This is undoubtedly additional functionality but without actually being able to use the controls RIGHT ON THE TABLET, it's pointless.

Dave Long

Banned
Pointless is hyperbole. The ability to play off-TV is always a benefit in homes that have more than one resident.

It's not people who don't own a Wii U that never understand Nintendo, it's people who live alone or with a person who doesn't use the TV often.

In those cases, this update just isn't for you. Chill out and enjoy your big screen.

Nags

Banned
Pointless is hyperbole. The ability to play off-TV is always a benefit in homes that have more than one resident.

It's not people who don't own a Wii U that never understand Nintendo, it's people who live alone or with a person who doesn't use the TV often.

In those cases, this update just isn't for you. Chill out and enjoy your big screen.

By that logic you are assuming most families that buy gaming consoles share a single TV?

Top Bottom