• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Update adds Off TV play for Wii mode (but you can't use gamepad to control)

Zarovitch

That's like saying a turtle is faster than a snail when the competition will be that of a leopard. Yay for Wii U?

Where do you find it that slow?

Edit: plus on the WiiU you don't have to navigate throught a bunch of menu to start a software. I think it's could be better but it's not a turtle compare to competition (xbox360 cause i don't have a ps3)

MIlky1985

Banned
Nevertheless, it's still slower than most people would like.

I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter how snappy it was, some people would still complain that it was too slow for them. Simply because some people don't care about how fast or slow it is, they just want to take every opportunity to have a go at the WiiU that they can find.

Happens for all the consoles really, the tribal nature of humans comes out to play.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's like saying a turtle is faster than a snail when the competition will be that of a leopard. Yay for Wii U?

So you have tested a Wii U after the patch 4 in comparison with PS360. Can you post the results, please? Or you even have the loading times on Xbone and PS4? That would be even more appreciated. Please share.

disap.ed

Come on now, even the cheapest Android phone more or less instantly shows the settings menu (just an example), there just is no excuse why we still have to wait seconds for it on WiiU. No one is denying that it is getting better, but the fact is that it still is slow.

So you have tested a Wii U after the patch 4 in comparison with PS360. Can you post the results, please? Or you even have the loading times on Xbone and PS4? That would be even more appreciated. Please share.

If you actually believe the PS4 or X1 will be as slow as the Wii U then lol. The Wii u was gimped due to only 2GB of ram. The X1 and PS4 have 4 times that. The Wii U OS is terrible, bloated, slow, and quite basic in comparison to the competition. Better than the Wii but that's not saying much. It shows how terrible Nintendo is when it comes to non gaming software and OS's. They should have had an outside company do this instead.

Sitting down, if I'm using the Classic Controller Pro, since I have to keep the Wiimote nearby anyway, I just place the WiiMote under the GamePad on my lap and it angles the GamePad perfectly for me.

So yeah I think I might actually use this feature sometimes now.

Just tried that. It props it up pretty damn well.
I've tried a few games on it lol, Galaxy 2 was a bit odd with pointer controls, Mario Kart Wii was a bit fiddly with the Wii Whel, although I'm extremely rusty and got the hang of it eventually, but Sonic Colours was great with the Classic Controller.

D-e-f-

Banned
If you actually believe the PS4 or X1 will be as slow as the Wii U then lol. The Wii u was gimped due to only 2GB of ram. The X1 and PS4 have 4 times that. The Wii U OS is terrible, bloated, slow, and quite basic in comparison to the competition. Better than the Wii but that's not saying much. It shows how terrible Nintendo is when it comes to non gaming software and OS's. They should have had an outside company do this instead.

This has nothing to do with the RAM and everything to do with the OS being rushed out the door and them now slowly fixing it up to the way it should've been from the start. It started out poorly optimized and is getting better now.

This has nothing to do with the RAM and everything to do with the OS being rushed out the door and them now slowly fixing it up to the way it should've been from the start. It started out poorly optimized and is getting better now.

No. Due to how unoptimized it is and inexperienced Nintendo happens to be at OS's that offer similar capabilities of last gen systems (PS3/360) they should have offered more ram. That way there'd be more ram available to handle the OS and as they optimized it the extra ram would be used for games going forward just as they are curretly doing. Except instead of having 1-1.5 for games they could have had more than that.

disap.ed

I'm hoping that at some point they either A) put in a GCN emulator and/or B) offer GCN games on the Virtual Console. Not that there's many games I'd want to play, but Pikmin 1+2 and Mario Sunshine would be nice.

I think a few most wanted "HD" rereleases (like WW) are more likely.

So you don't have any actual data, right?

I know that no modern OS for a major console was as bloated and downright embarrasing as the Wii u has been since release. I know that Nintendo preferred to focus on a tablet controller instead of building an actual capable next system that will stay competitive for 5+ years. I have a Wii U. I have since launch. The OS is a pos.

MIlky1985

Banned
I know that no modern OS for a major console was as bloated and downright embarrasing as the Wii u has been since release. I know that Nintendo preferred to focus on a tablet controller instead of building an actual capable next system that will stay competitive for 5+ years. I have a Wii U. I have since launch. The OS is a pos.

You call the WiiU OS bloated (with no quantifying information what so ever but OK) but I don't see it as bloated, not even sure how you could say it its. You could say that its a bit unwieldy since it doesn't have folders, would give you that. The TV service is rubbish for us in the UK because it still isn't active so again you have that. But I think its quite good that they managed to fit a full Twitter like system with integration for screenshots, a nice storefront and a HTML 5 compatible web browser that works nicely that runs independent of the games. Hell i can watch twitch.tv on my game-pad (and do so quite often) then go straight back into my game.

Not something that I could see happening with a bloated OS in my eyes. Be interesting to see what the PS4 and Xbox 1 do with there OS's since they have about 2 gigs more ram reserved for those two modern console operating systems.

Carlisle

I wish so dearly Wii mode was region free so I could play my UK Xenoblade on the gamepad without installing homebrew :(

Ok, I see that you are very knowledgeable about console OS, but you don't want to share any data. Please go on, I won't bother you anymore, I see that you are upset.

Upset? No. I just have finally learned my lesson to not buy a Nintendo console again. I have purchased every console and handheld from Nintendo released in the west but the Wii u will be the last. Until they cease production of the Wii I will continue to voice my displeasure with how terrible the company has handled this system. Angry? Not at all. Disappointed? Sure.

Roo

I'm probably the only one that uses this new feature solely for the audio.
Pluging some headphones to the Gamepad while still using the Tv as the main screen is amazing.
Some games have a lot of sounds and tunes I never heard before. The audio alone is enough to go through my Wii collection again just to listen to them.

AzaK

Miiverse and the eShop are basically websites I thought. Given how slow Nintendo's network is for data throughput, the problem killing their performance at times may be backbone related rather than the OS on the system.

There are times when Miiverse is really responsive and when it loads nearly instantly. A lot of other times it's very slow.
Yes this is likely the problem. I'm also not sure of their client caches or if it does the MaxAge is low or it's cleared when you quit.

Nintendo's overall network needs fixing. I can't even view eShop videos without it stopping to buffer a couple of times and I'm on 100MBit fibre. I'm in NZ so I can only assume it's very susceptible to latency (130ms from where I am)

If the beefed up their servers and connection it could fly.
Upset? No. I just have finally learned my lesson to not buy a Nintendo console again. I have purchased every console and handheld from Nintendo released in the west but the Wii u will be the last. Until they cease production of the Wii I will continue to voice my displeasure with how terrible the company has handled this system. Angry? Not at all. Disappointed? Sure.
And rightly so. The system is very disappointing and Nintendos handling oif it is shameful.

sfried

Err, I don't see why people are worked up over a feature that wasn't even announced in the Direct. It could use a bit more tweaking though, and we're golden.

nintendo should write the classic controller emulator program for the wiiu gamepad, even if it invalidates the 1.5 dollar per transfer of the wii vc games to wiiu menu

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is what Marcan wrote about the possibility of using the buttons of the Gamepad in the Wii mode (read from bottom to top):

wiiofftvvklhq.jpg

@marcan42 said:
DRC is the codename for the Wii U gamepad.

Regiruler

I really wish I could play Skyward Sword using Gamepad controls. All the motion stuff really killed the game for me :(

You would need to be really damn precise with the stick then.
Think of buttons on iphone games for stuff like mega man, and exacerbate that one-thousandfold.

Insaniac

i don't mind having to use a separate controller for the most part, but needing to be hooked up to a TV to enable wiimode kinda kills the "portability" aspect of it for me

clubstoic

Banned
Why even have the Wii mode separate? The 3DS includes DSi apps viewable right in the main OS. The 3DS and Wii OS were so much more interesting and animated, while the Wii U OS has been a piece o' shit.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Why even have the Wii mode separate? The 3DS includes DSi apps viewable right in the main OS. The 3DS and Wii OS were so much more interesting and animated, while the Wii U OS has been a piece o' shit.

When you boot DS games and DSiware on your 3DS, it's the same deal as Wii mode. It's separate, shutting off all 3DS hardware functions like native wifi and spotpass.

For full hardware compatibility with Wii, the WIi U has to turn into a Wii which means booting the Wii dashboard, etc. It's an situation where you pick your poison. BC via emulation which allows hacking things together in new ways but causes compatibility problems. Or BC by hardware which makes everything perfect, but limits how older software can operate. Because it's not programmed to address newer hardware and a newer OS.

sfried

This is what Marcan wrote about the possibility of using the buttons of the Gamepad in the Wii mode (read from bottom to top):

wiiofftvvklhq.jpg
Hmm, this is quite interesting. I'm wondering what workarounds they can do to make the GamePad input work without breaking compatibility.
DSi apps simply run the DS(i) emulation part of the 3DS, whereas the Wii would require the presence of the OS because of the Home Screen prompt. I do agree though that the standard splash screen when booting the game was a step down from Wii's animated channel screens.

pitt_norton

i'm enjoying the wii gamepad mode! i had the same 'ooooo~' sensation as I did when viewing dvds on those small portable players all those years back.

mario galaxy 2 looked great, as did zangeki no regeliev, fatal frame 2, skyward sword, excitebots, jungle beat, other m, captain rainbow annnnd sin and punishment 2.

i was amused by the simple eshop poker machine styled minigame at the loadup screen too.

i'm enjoying the wii gamepad mode! i had the same 'ooooo~' sensation as I did when viewing dvds on those small portable players all those years back.

mario galaxy 2 looked great, as did zangeki no regeliev, fatal frame 2, skyward sword, excitebots, jungle beat, other m, captain rainbow annnnd sin and punishment 2.

i was amused by the simple eshop poker machine styled minigame at the loadup screen too.

Do you have a japanese wiiu or did you get homebrew channel working wiiu?

Clefargle

You call the WiiU OS bloated (with no quantifying information what so ever but OK) but I don't see it as bloated, not even sure how you could say it its. You could say that its a bit unwieldy since it doesn't have folders, would give you that. The TV service is rubbish for us in the UK because it still isn't active so again you have that. But I think its quite good that they managed to fit a full Twitter like system with integration for screenshots, a nice storefront and a HTML 5 compatible web browser that works nicely that runs independent of the games. Hell i can watch twitch.tv on my game-pad (and do so quite often) then go straight back into my game.

Not something that I could see happening with a bloated OS in my eyes. Be interesting to see what the PS4 and Xbox 1 do with there OS's since they have about 2 gigs more ram reserved for those two modern console operating systems.

Stop feeding the piggy, he's making an emotional argument. Sure the OS could be better, but the point is that Ninty has patched it like twice, and it is better. Just let him vent, who cares.

This is pretty genius for WiiFit since it allows you to do Yoga while watching TV - I know Fit U is around the corner, cool nonetheless.

I'm very pleased with how nice Wii games look on the gamepad. Far better than how they look upscaled to an HDTV for sure. It's making me want to finally finish Xenoblade.

This got me thinking though, why do I see people often criticizing the GamePad screen for being low res? It's not, for it's size. Sure it's no Retina display, but it's comparable to the iPad Mini: Mini PPI = 163, GamePad PPI = 158.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm very pleased with how nice Wii games look on the gamepad. Far better than how they look upscaled to an HDTV for sure. It's making me want to finally finish Xenoblade.

This got me thinking though, why do I see people often criticizing the GamePad screen for being low res? It's not, for it's size. Sure it's no Retina display, but it's comparable to the iPad Mini: Mini PPI = 163, GamePad PPI = 158.

People love to point out inferior tech every chance they get whether it actually is a big deal or not.

scitek

People love to point out inferior tech every chance they get whether it actually is a big deal or not.

I have a PC that I spent a decent amount of money on last year, and every time I play my Wii U, I couldn't care less about the hardware inside.

espher

So I've been trying to read around and haven't caught anything on it (entirely possible I am blind), but... do I still need to have my WiiU hooked up to a TV to take advantage of this?

I brought it into work today (with the sensor bar, just in case). I had to 'point at the TV' to get it to boot into Wii mode (even holding B on startup, I guess), so I plugged in the sensor bar to get past that hurdle, but... then it spits an error out about being unable to connect to the TV or something. I'm curious as to whether it'll work with an HDMI cable plugged into nothingness, so I suppose I'll test that when I get home, but... it'll kind of suck if that's the case. :3

D-e-f-

Banned
So I've been trying to read around and haven't caught anything on it (entirely possible I am blind), but... do I still need to have my WiiU hooked up to a TV to take advantage of this?

I brought it into work today (with the sensor bar, just in case). I had to 'point at the TV' to get it to boot into Wii mode (even holding B on startup, I guess), so I plugged in the sensor bar to get past that hurdle, but... then it spits an error out about being unable to connect to the TV or something. I'm curious as to whether it'll work with an HDMI cable plugged into nothingness, so I suppose I'll test that when I get home, but... it'll kind of suck if that's the case. :3

To get around it you need to select "non HDMI" as the output setting. That way it can't/won't check for your TV.

espher

To get around it you need to select "non HDMI" as the output setting. That way it can't/won't check for your TV.

Cheers, thanks. After posting I decided to go backwards through the thread instead of forwards starting from P1 and stumbled upon a few mentions/fixes, so... yeah. Thanks again. ;)

Top Bottom