• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU "Latte" GPU Die Photo - GPU Feature Set And Power Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
So check the power while loading system apps, see if there is any spike. However If anything I think its per game bases. I dont think it would be constant, as it would go against Nintendo power saving mania.

Best case scenario: Broken telephone, one person told one person, who told another. Information gets screwed up in the process, but there is some truth to this overclocking and a perhaps a typo.

Worst case scenario: Its all a lie, form someone looking for attention or just trolling.

Well, call me cynical, but i'd bet on the worst case.

StevieP

Banned
i dont think anyone really believed that it from the tone of the posts on this page. Just an opportunity to discuss and debunk something new.

Fair enough. It's not like it's impossible to do firmware-based overclocks to minor degrees or anything (hell, both Nintendo and Sony have done that before). But as soon as anyone says "3ghz Espresso" you throw out the source immediately. Lol

It just isn't that kind of design.

OryoN

Wasn't it already an impressive feat getting an IBM powerpc750 based CPU running at Espresso's speed? Anyway, from what I understand, a higher clock CPU would require a greater number of pipeline stages. Being that this class of CPUs is designed around a short pipeline as one of their 'strong' points, anything that greatly extends that would be counterintuitive, no?

Goodlife

As much as we'd love it to be true, it would be a crazy bump.

The only thing that's nagging in my mind as to why maybe some form over bump happened is that in the latest investors Q&A wasn't it announced some of the board didn't really want to market the WiiU until after the spring update......

Now I know the spring updated improved SOME areas of the OS a decent bit, I'd hardly say it was a game changing improvement.....

The power actually seems to drop to around 30W on the system and initial game load screens :p

You know.. Miyamoto admitted some time ago that they were still playing around with Wii U's clockspeeds to balance the system, and Lherre and Matt stated that the CPU and GPU was previously clocked at 1.0GHz/400MHz respectfully. Maybe as Nintendo is fixing the OS with the updates (AFAIK, we don't exactly know what they are doing to speed it up), they are also optimizing the system with more power-saving settings which will allow them to boost up CPU and GPU without worrying about the system running too hot. Several things did seem weird about the system, including:

- The system appears to always run at ~30W no matter what you were doing.

- The clock setting of 550Mhz for the GPU is weird since it is not a multiple of the system bus (248MHz according to failOverflow), and nearly all Nintendo systems AFAIK was clocked like that.

Assuming failOverflow is right, the next multiple for the CPU being adjusted up would likely be 1.49GHz (248*6), which is a little over 2x Broadway.

Maybe when it was at 1GHz, it was actually set at 248*4, which is 992MHz

z0m3le

Banned
Shouldn't even get the light of day. Let Kotaku post it, but don't post that shit here.

It brought up the topic of a possible overclock with the new updates. Lets not pretend that this thread is above rumors or even ridiculous speculation, pages of this thread has been dedicated to off topic discussions.

I would be interested if CPU was increased to 1.49GHz after the summer update, as well as a bump to the GPU to 620MHz. (just using the bus speed multipliers for these numbers but it would be very interesting to see nintendo go this route)

Shouldn't, but it will. It's not like GAF is going to start banning for posting stupid rumors.

Did you check out the thread where they started banning for posting Pastebin links?

It brought up the topic of a possible overclock with the new updates. Lets not pretend that this thread is above rumors or even ridiculous speculation, pages of this thread has been dedicated to off topic discussions.

I would be interested if CPU was increased to 1.49GHz after the summer update, as well as a bump to the GPU to 620MHz. (just using the bus speed multipliers for these numbers but it would be very interesting to see nintendo go this route)

That is at least possible, but a 2.5+ x increase and eSRAM increase, is just nuts.

With the kind of power supply headroom they gave the Wii U, i really wouldn't be shocked to see some kind of modest overclocking update(and maybe freeing up some RAM).

Did you check out the thread where they started banning for posting Pastebin links?

I have not seen that.

With the kind of power supply headroom they gave the Wii U, i really wouldn't be shocked to see some kind of modest overclocking update(and maybe freeing up some RAM).

They do have plenty of PSU room. Not even at 50% usage (kinda nuts if you ask me), but RAM being freed isn't tied to the PSU. I'm sure they can do that though, as that is only tied to the competence of their programmers.

I have not seen that.

Kotaku Rumor: Microsoft 6 months behind in game production for X720 [Pastebin = Ban]

They do have plenty of PSU room. Not even at 50% usage (kinda nuts if you ask me), but RAM being freed isn't tied to the PSU. I'm sure they can do that though, as that is only tied to the competence of their programmers.

Yeah, didn't mean to imply that available RAM was tied to power use, more that i think it'd be something they could unlock at the same time (personally i think 1GB is a pretty high amount for what the OS does).

Yeah, didn't mean to imply that available RAM was tied to power use, more that i think it'd be something they could unlock at the same time (personally i think 1GB is a pretty high amount for what the OS does).

Yeah... .I have no idea what they are using all that ram for. I feel like they can load everything (non-post wise) in miiverse into that fucking ram, but everything still loads like ass (even after the update).

Yeah... .I have no idea what they are using all that ram for. I feel like they can load everything (non-post wise) in miiverse into that fucking ram, but everything still loads like ass (even after the update).

That's the part i don't get, i mean, it's not like the Wii where the OS is "faked", the system menu should already be loaded on the RAM, Judging by the Wii U it's almost shocking that Nintendo fit the 3DS OS into 32MB of RAM.

Maybe that's why their devkits were documented so bad, they didn't even wanted the devs to know about SSJ WiiU :D

I don't buy it.
But I wish it would be true...

That's the part i don't get, i mean, it's not like the Wii where the OS is "faked", the system menu should already be loaded on the RAM, Judging by the Wii U it's almost shocking that Nintendo fit the 3DS OS into 32MB of RAM.

The only reason I think a "hidden power" thing is even plausible with the Wii U is because of how the OS is handled. It wouldn't surprise me if a later update reduced the OS partition of RAM considerably to give games a bit more room.

I don't know if this is true or not. Though the sheer amount of increase makes it sound fake to me, I do seem to remember that a while back someone (maybe it was someone from IBM) stated that the CPU was intentionally underclocked.

If that's true, and Nintendo has now done this, I not only would expect that the new clock rate likely not exceed 1.8-2 Ghz or so, but that the system would likely (through this update) continue on at the lower clock-rate by default, but developers would now have access to bypassing that default and triggering a supercharged mode.

So if you're playing Nintendo Land for instance, it's your regular old Wii U settings. But if you are playing some game by a 3rd party developer in 2014, popping in the disk of such a game would temporarily move the console from default. Make sense perhaps?

Sounds rather unconventional for a company like Nintendo, but with the original Wii being so underpowered, perhaps they built in a safety net, where as a company they say, 'Hey, we think that this is all you need, and the wattage will make the console nice and energy/environmentally friendly. But just in case, here's the emergency switch...'

Should have flipped it months ago imo.

aHuwT0r.jpg

Yep. I believe it!

All someone needs to do to confirm or deny this is check the power draw. You can't just increase the clock that much without increasing the voltage...

Can anyone test this?

You read my mind. ;]

1. This is outright impossible
2. i measures peak 31w and 0.22A playinfg Arkham City and 28w in WaraWara plaza. (Give or take 2w since its a cheap device im using to measure)

aka

ITS NOT REAL

I dont have the most exact measure device but a jump from 1.24 to 3.24 ghz, it would have measured it.

No, not unless they made some huge mistake measuring the heat and power draw when making the system.

Again, who knows if it's true or not. But playing Devil's advocate on the side of if it is, Nintendo did seem to have to rush the Wii U out after terribly misjudging how much the Wii would fall off. They most definitely would not want to repeat Microsofts 360 mistake. So maybe they DID play it very safe, and were content to leave things as they were until all of the complaints.

We go on and on about the clock speed, and specs, but the fact is that Nintendo never released that info on purpose, and don't give a damn to.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Is today the 'let's entertain batshit crazy rumors for a change' day by chance?

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
The lunatic asylum can't run on 33 watts.

TheD

The Detective
Again, who knows if it's true or not. But playing Devil's advocate on the side of if it is, Nintendo did seem to have to rush the Wii U out after terribly misjudging how much the Wii would fall off. They most definitely would not want to repeat Microsofts 360 mistake. So maybe they DID play it very safe, and were content to leave things as they were until all of the complaints.

We go on and on about the clock speed, and specs, but the fact is that Nintendo never released that info on purpose, and don't give a damn to.

Well nothing has changed to make it safe to do that.

If they had been worried about it overheating then giving it a major clockspeed boost says one of two things.
1. They had been way too worried, to a point that they look like idiots.
2. They have decided to not give a fuck about how many consoles they break.
Both are highly unlikely.

The size of the clock increase is just too large for 1.2Ghz to be playing it safe.

I heard it also downloaded more RAM.

Shit, and I'm almost over my bandwith allowance for the month. I could maybe download 512MB, but if they've upped it by more than that I'm going to have to pay overage.

Does anyone know if I can pause the RAM download partway through and resume it again in June?

Darryl

Banned
Shit, and I'm almost over my bandwith allowance for the month. I could maybe download 512MB, but if they've upped it by more than that I'm going to have to pay overage.

Does anyone know if I can pause the RAM download partway through and resume it again in June?

no it erases when you turn it off thats RAM 101 dude

As much as we'd love it to be true, it would be a crazy bump.

The only thing that's nagging in my mind as to why maybe some form over bump happened is that in the latest investors Q&A wasn't it announced some of the board didn't really want to market the WiiU until after the spring update......

Now I know the spring updated improved SOME areas of the OS a decent bit, I'd hardly say it was a game changing improvement.....

I think it has more to do with the new Miiverse features and the upcoming ones (start games from Miiverse, jump to levels from Miiverse, accept challenges from within miiverse etc)

wsippel

Banned
Isn't a 750 normally clocked at like 1Ghz? IIRC Gamecube/Wii had chips that were based on low clocks... and they were clocked higher.
Well below 1GHz usually, but there's the rumored 750VX/ VXe, designed as a competitor to the Freescale 744x series, which reportedly ran at ~1.5 - 2GHz. That was back in 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom