• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wikileaks documents claim Hillary Clinton 'thinks Saudi Arabia and Qatar fund Isis'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hillary Clinton emails leak: Wikileaks documents claim Democratic nominee 'thinks Saudi Arabia and Qatar fund Isis'

The 2,000 new messages, dumped on Monday, are the second release in the last four days from Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, who promised the supposed 50,000 strong email haul from Mr Podesta will provide “significant” insights into the current election campaign.

In one thread of correspondence from August 2014 Ms Clinton sent an eight-point plan to Mr Podesta, at the time a counsellor to President Barack Obama, outlining a strategy on how to defeat terror group Isis which involved supporting Kurdish forces in Syria and Iraq with military advisers.

The Obama administration ended up taking similar action to that described as desirable by Ms Clinton.

The exchange also appears to show the presidential candidate identified the Gulf states of Saudi Arabia and Qatar as “clandestine” “financial and logistic” supporters of the terrorist group, despite surface cooperation between the US and the Sunni states on combating the militants and other actions in Syria’s multi-sided civil war.

“While this military/para-military operation is moving forward, we need to use our diplomatic and more traditional intelligence assets to bring pressure on the governments of Qatar and Saudi Arabia, which are providing clandestine financial and logistic support to ISIL [Isis] and other radical Sunni groups in the region,” Ms Clinton reportedly wrote.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...rabia-qatar-isis-podesta-latest-a7355466.html

I think this is good for Hillary if true but I guess you cant say those things in public because Saudi Arabia and Qatar are strategic allies of the US in the Persian Gulf and the Middle East as a whole.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So does anybody with a brain.

Not the government directly, but super wealthy hobbyists with government ties - to whom the government turns a blind eye (or provides soft assistance to) since the wahabbiist export of terror and teaching helps shore up their domestic situation.

This isn't even controversial. This was 9/11 too, btw.

They're trying to have their cake and eat it too, which is a regional problem for every actor, including Israel.

Man if I had a time machine and some solar panels...

Zophar

Seems like everything coming from these leaks is already super obvious. Not really sure what they think the reaction is gonna be.

El-Suave

A lot of people do, and they're probably not wrong either. A few weeks ago the German ministry of interior said they even suspect Turkey of helping the terrorists in some capacities.

Matty77

Going to second Stinkles post on this, if anything this should up her stock with everyone except those that think Hillary is too Warmongering.

Seems like everything coming from these leaks is already super obvious. Not really sure what they think the reaction is gonna be.

It feeds into the narrative of the e-mail scandal, and tries to distract from Trump news, basically. They are just wanting to keep the narrative of the e-mails ongoing more than anything, though. It's basically the new Benghazi. Give it a year or two, and the majority of people aren't going to give a shit.

During the Arabic Spring and prior to the formation of ISIS there was ambiguous charity funds led by questionable religious individuals in Qatar, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.

After the formation of ISIS,Saudi Arabia prosecuted some if these figures and laid new grounds for charity.

Jabhat al Nusra are supported by Turkey and Qatar that's clear.

That said Saudi Arabia likes to support Armies rather than uncontrollable groups and militias hence the Free Syrian Army. Saudi Arabia asked Russia to stop attacking the Free Syrian Army
The free Syrian Army was also attacked by ISIS.

So what this is saying is she understands the roots of the conflict go deep and we have to use every tool we have to dislodge them?

And this is suppose to make us like her less?

What's this supposed to do exactly, give SA and Qatar pause about the outcome of the US presidential election... in any way more than Trump's candidacy does? Please.

Ouroboros

NO WONDER SHE DELETED THESE EMAILS!

I'M TAKEN ABACK BY THESE COMMENTS!

I love how Trump will try and spin this as being unfit.

This isnt "good" these emails are public. This type of diplomacy is good to keep secret.

This is again Russian attempt to undermine any coalition that opposes Assad and Russian aggression.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
So what this is saying is she understands the roots of the conflict go deep and we have to use every tool we have to dislodge them?

And this is suppose to make us like her less?

Yeah I'm confused. Speaking personally, this information makes me like her more.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Anyone else kind of like the "inside baseball" view these leaks provide? Also, I'm not sure how most will take this stuff, but personally they've made Clinton look more impressive to me in some ways. At least when up against someone like Trump. Here for example, she recognizes a major problem, but also the complexities of that problem. Trump just wants to be a badass.

Briarios

This is why so many military and intelligence officers support her, because she actually knows what's going on. This does nothing to hurt her, but it does hurt the US. I think Wikileaks is really misjudging how the US is reacting to their leaks ...

neshcom

Banned
I guess it's a little scandalous that she said something that gets said behind closed doors behind closed doors, but cmon. Duh.

Seriously, what is Wikileaks trying to do lately?

Yeah I'm confused. Speaking personally, this information makes me like her more.

Assange has no bombshell. He hasn't been relevant for years. His only hope now is to dump everything he can get his hands on into public view and then pray something sticks so he can take credit for it. It's akin to a man desperately trying to keep a bonfire alive by throwing everything he owns into the flames.

Toxi

Banned
I guess it's a little scandalous that she said something that gets said behind closed doors behind closed doors, but cmon. Duh.

Seriously, what is Wikileaks trying to do lately?
Undermine American foreign policy and shill for Russia.

BajiBoxer

Banned
What's this supposed to do exactly, give SA and Qatar pause about the outcome of the US presidential election... in any way more than Trump's candidacy does? Please.

Probably just to throw a wrench into future behind the scenes diplomatic efforts. Also, it further solidifies a pretty solid criticism of U.S. foreign policy and the allies we choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom