• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wikileaks is leaky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenga

Banned
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/08/wikileaks-leak/

Unlike the cables that WikiLeaks has been publishing piecemeal since last fall, these cables are raw and unredacted, and contain the names of informants and suspected intelligence agents that were blacked out of the official releases. Der Freitag said the documents include the names of suspected agents in Israel, Jordan, Iran and Afghanistan, and noted that interested parties — such as the Iranian government or intelligence agencies — could have already discovered and decrypted the file to uncover the names of informants.

“The story is that a series of lapses, as far as I can see on behalf of WikiLeaks and its affiliates, has led to the possibility a file becoming generally available which it never should have been available,” confirmed former WikiLeaks staffer Herbert Snorrason, of Iceland, who left the organization as part of a staff revolt last year, and is now part of the competing site OpenLeaks.

well wikileaks crumbled rather fast

the illuminati wins again

angelfly

So he lost his leverage to protect himself. I'm assuming this is what he always threatened to have released if he ever mysteriously went "missing".

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
2th said:
pretty much part of their agenda
haha ok then.

disturbing that they can't keep a lid on the stuff they should keep a lid on.

So he lost his leverage to protect himself. I'm assuming this is what he always threatened to have released if he ever mysteriously went "missing".

no this isn't the 'insurance' file I don't think.

If anyone has the password or found it online I can try it. I downloaded that file when it was available.

angelfly said:

Nah, he still has the file. But if he continues to leak information that will get people killed, I can't imagine him lasting much longer. And if not him, people around him.

Chichikov

SpectreFire said:
Those assholes are going to get people killed.
Give me one example in history where it was a good idea to let the government keep secrets from its people after the fact.
One.

More people died by keeping secrets than exposing them.
By far.

If there is any forward looking operational stuff there, that's a different story.

Chichikov said:
Give me one example in history where it was a good idea to let the government keep secret from its people after the fact.
One.

By far.

If there is any forward looking operational stuff there, that's a different story.

You're seriously arguing exposing identities of informants and undercover agents will not result in people getting killed?

LQX

Chichikov said:
Give me one example in history where it was a good idea to let the government keep secrets from its people after the fact.
One.

By far.

For the US, the location of OBL's body or even pictures of his body.

Chichikov said:
Give me one example in history where it was a good idea to let the government keep secret from its people after the fact.
One.

By far.

That's besides the point. I don't mind there being an agency out there responsible for keeping the government in line. That said, Wikileaks is not that, Wikileaks is a bunch of internet vigilantes who think they're above the law and do what they do purely for a sense of some grandeur and sensationalism. If they were honest about what they did, they wouldn't go out and attract so much media and public attention. People who do things for the right reasons don't look out to others for a pat on the back.

And in this case, I draw a VERY strong line when it comes to putting people's lives at risks. Leaking information is one thing, but leaking information that can get people killed? That is just absolutely disgusting. As far as I care, these people are murderers. They're going to get people killed while reaching for their 15 minutes of fame.

Chichikov

PhoenixDark said:
You're seriously arguing exposing identities of informants and undercover agents will not result in people getting killed?
I stopped believing unspecific horror story about those leaks a while ago, people said the Afghanistan leaks will kill people and that didn't happen.
At all.

And if those leaks make us end any of our wars a month early, it would've saved more lives than your worst case informant murder scenario.

LQX said:
For the US, the location of OBL's body or even pictures of his body.
His location is not a secret, we threw him in the ocean.

Chichikov said:
And if those leaks make us end any of our wars a month early, it would've saved more lives than your worst case informant murder scenario.

Or it might create even more wars.

Let's face it, it's absolutely naive to think that government don't, won't and shouldn't keep secrets.

Keeping secret is such a human thing to do, it's impossible it abolish it on any level and we shouldn't try. We can strive for more transparency, we can strive for more accountability, but at the end of the day, we will still have secrets because you know what? We need them. Humans are competitive creatures, we're always seeking to better ourselves, and in order to protect our own interests, we need to keep secrets. Saying that we shouldn't have them is tantamount to saying we shouldn't be human. It's impossible. It's part of our nature

LQX

Chichikov said:
I stopped believing unspecific horror story about those leaks a while ago, people said the Afghanistan leaks will kill people and that didn't happen.
At all.

His location is not a secret, we threw him in the ocean.
gca0433l.jpg

kamspy

ATTN: Foreign Dictator

We are sending an spy to infiltrate your regime. He is 6'1, dark skinned with an athletic build. His cover name is Action Jones, his real name is John Smith. He grew up in Oklahoma and played football in high school and college. Action(John) enjoy longs walks on the beach, and jazz fusion music.

Please do not kill him.

Regards,

The CIA

Wikileaks is by far a good thing... I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Government leaked these documents as a way to create real leverage against wikileaks to prevent them from getting more information that could be potentially very damaging (especially to the military industrial complex).

Why would you trust the Government's word when they are doing stuff like this to "win" a war that clearly can't be won. Furthermore why would you want to continue to rely on our media when they seem incapable of doing any sort of investigative journalism these days. http://www.thenewamerican.com/world...p-us-funded-afghan-police-drug-use-pedophilia

stutte said:
Al-Awlaki is still alive and well. Obama hasn't personally killed anyone, unlike what you seem to say in your post.

Ah well, he authorized assassination at the very least... I stand corrected though.

stufte

Karma Kramer said:
Ah well, he authorized assassination at the very least... I stand corrected though.

Yep. And I find that abhorrent, even if I think this Al-Awlaki guys innocence to be highly dubious, due process is extremely important. No need to sensationalize something that is already awful.

Sennorin

Banned
Lionheart1337 said:
LOL wow wasn't it like just a year ago that this site was all over the fucking news? What happened?

A combination of "ignore it, so people don´t listen to it anymore" pressured by governments, and "these leaks are not epic enough, so we won´t bring it in our news. omg, beyonce is pregnant!"

Sennorin said:
A combination of "ignore it, so people don´t listen to it anymore" pressured by governments, and "these leaks are not epic enough, so we won´t bring it in our news. omg, beyonce is pregnant!"

lol exactly...

"US funded child sex slaves????"

CNN: "REALLY? WHO CARES, LETS TALK ABOUT THE PALIN BUS TOUR, HEEEHAWWW!"

Angry Fork said:
Worse than the military killing civilians by 'accident'? lol

Well they aren't killing American citizens which makes it ok.

stutte said:
How was his post "moving the goalposts?" And how is keeping the photos/location of his body secret harming ANYTHING? Specific examples would help.

My advice to you: Ignore LQX.

itxaka

Defeatist
Kinyou said:
btw. what happened to Julian Assange? Did the Illumaniti make him silently disappear?

267 days of detention, with no charge. Sweet sweet justice system, keeping criminals behind bars.

2th

Banned
stutte said:
got a citation for that?

why do you need a citation to understand that when someone posts the identities of covert agents and intelligence assets the goal is to get them killed? I mean do you really think the goal is just to stop those people from doing their jobs and nothing more? No. If you out a covert agent or intelligence asset you are pretty much signing their death certificate.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
2th said:
why do you need a citation to understand that when someone posts the identities of covert agents and intelligence assets the goal is to get them killed? I mean do you really think the goal is just to stop those people from doing their jobs and nothing more? No. If you out a covert agent or intelligence asset you are pretty much signing their death certificate.
These are rather leaping assumptions. Doesn't the article even say they weren't supposed to be released like this?

itxaka

Defeatist
Teh Hamburglar said:
you can imprison someone without charging them with a crime? How does that work?

Well, when someone is a pain in the ass, justice can shut the fuck up and do what we tell it to do.

It works that easy. power > everything else.

So wikileaks target was to release raw cables so people would get killed around the world then? Or you don't know what "agenda" means?

a·gen·da   [uh-jen-duh]
noun, formally a plural of agendum, but usually used as a singular with plural -das or -da.
a list, plan, outline, or the like, of things to be done, matters to be acted or voted upon, etc.: The chairman says we have a lengthy agenda this afternoon.

LQX

stutte said:
How was his post "moving the goalposts?" And how is keeping the photos/location of his body secret harming ANYTHING? Specific examples would help.
It was almost universally agreed that it was not a good idea to release pictures of OBL with his head blown apart as it would inflame others. Also knowing the exact location of his body is very different from knowing he is in the ocean. So yes, on both accounts it was a good idea for the government to keep both away from the public. Stop being disingenuous.

stufte

LQX said:
It was almost universally agreed that it was not a good idea to release pictures of OBL with his head blown apart as it would inflame others. Also knowing the exact location of his body is very different from knowing he is in the ocean. So yes, on both accounts it was a good idea for the government to keep both away from the public. Stop being disingenuous.

I'm so glad we agree?

/confused

LQX

stutte said:
I'm so glad we agree?

/confused
Guess I read your post wrong? I thought you were trying to invalidate what I said. He asked for specific example I gave him one then he switched it up and ignored the rest of my post. To me that was moving the goalposts.

Mael

demon said:
These are rather leaping assumptions. Doesn't the article even say they weren't supposed to be released like this?
What happened to that certain someone who got his/her cover blown by a someone from the former administration btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom