• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar: Reloaded |OT| Full Steam Ahead!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really excited about this. I played the beta before launch last year and I had some gripes that kept me from really wanting to buy the game, but it sounds like those have been addressed in one way or another (especially performance and UI stuff. really glad they embraced addons so heavily). It comes at just the right time, too, since my return to WoW has petered out by hitting a progression wall.

I hope lots of GAF folks start up this game so we can have an active guild going.

u know what..I'm gonna join too.

If you're in the states GameStops have physical copies as low as $5, Wal Marts as low as $4. You can activate those to just start playing retail AND get the signature account bonuses

is it worth buying the game for 13€ even tough I won't pay after the first month?

Zoracka

Looking forward to try Wildstar out again. I was done after a month, but the changes seem very nice.

Hope it works out better for them this time around.

There were some rumors about launching their f2p game on Steam. Was this ever confirmed or debunked?

Looking forward to try Wildstar out again. I was done after a month, but the changes seem very nice.

Hope it works out better for them this time around.

There were some rumors about launching their f2p game on Steam. Was this ever confirmed or debunked?

It's still on SteamDB, and it was put up as a free title.

The midnight launch party at Times Square is being livestreamed, along with a new trailer. I expect we will see the Steam announcement then.

Zoracka

It's still on SteamDB, and it was put up as a free title.

The midnight launch party at Times Square is being livestreamed, along with a new trailer. I expect we will see the Steam announcement then.

Alright thanks.

Not that it really matters, but I can only see a release on Steam as a good thing.

Walpurgis

Banned
So....this is like Guild Wars 2's payment model? I thought that was handled pretty well when I played it a few years ago. I've always been interested in this game so I'll check it out when my gaming PC gets to my house.

So....this is like Guild Wars 2's payment model? I thought that was handled pretty well when I played it a few years ago. I've always been interested in this game so I'll check it out when my gaming PC gets to my house.

Similar, with slightly less restrictions. Omnibits are basically the GW2 gems, but a bit easier to obtain.

This game screams for dedicated controller support.
Considering the rotation maxes out at 8 keys and the abilities are aimed? I agree. Wildstar could do great if it hit PS4 as well with crossplay.

Manoko

DId the game change a lot since its release ?
I bought it and played it for a bit, but didn't get drawn into it much.

Sounds great! Is the trinity in? The lack of a trinity and team play killed Guild Wars 2 for me.

Yes. Every class has a choice of two roles:
Engineer, Warrior, Stalker can be DPS or tanks.
Spellslinger, Medic, Esper can be DPS or healers.

DId the game change a lot since its release ?
I bought it and played it for a bit, but didn't get drawn into it much.

Best bet is to watch "The Sad Story of WildStar" in the OP if ya can

Interested in trying this again.

How's PvP? When I played in closed beta PvP was 2 parts tetris to 1 part MMO PvP and that really turned me off. I'll still give it a try regardless, but I'd like to know what I'm getting in to.

TheYanger

Sounds great! Is the trinity in? The lack of a trinity and team play killed Guild Wars 2 for me.

Yes. The dungeons are legitimately what you wanted from GW2 dungeons. You take enough random/unavoidable damage for healers to be necessary, but it's only the shit that you should be avoiding that will kill you (it's just challenging to do so). Tanking isn't HUGELY different between the three classes, healing is a bit more diverse depending on what you wanted. Or if you just wanted to dps go nuts pick whatever.

Whoever was asking about exo suits - don't base an engineer choice on that, the exo suit is a cooldown you'll use a lot but barely pay attention to, it's not like you walk aroundi n it all the time and when you do use it you'll be fighting something and only seeing yourself from behind.

styl3s

accidentally downloaded the main game, guess I will wait until Tuesday.
Yeah that's what i did and it's telling me my account lapsed.

Wanted to test it out to see how better the optimization was before the release on Tuesday but i don't want to download the game again.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Similar, with slightly less restrictions. Omnibits are basically the GW2 gems, but a bit easier to obtain.

Considering the rotation maxes out at 8 keys and the abilities are aimed? I agree. Wildstar could do great if it hit PS4 as well with crossplay.

Given how friendly SONY is to PC crossplay, I'm stunned more of these MMO's don't move from the PC-only centric view that they seem to have. I'm not programmer but I keep hearing "basically a tiny PC" in terms of PS4 and XB1 processors (or whatever the hell determines how you program something).

Se_7_eN

Really excited to jump back in!

I hope this picks up, and the game starts doing really well... Its a lot of fun, and has a great world to explore.

Given how friendly SONY is to PC crossplay, I'm stunned more of these MMO's don't move from the PC-only centric view that they seem to have. I'm not programmer but I keep hearing "basically a tiny PC" in terms of PS4 and XB1 processors (or whatever the hell determines how you program something).

I would expect this has more to do with NCSOFT than Carbine. Probably won't fund a port

Have they fixed latency issues? PVP was horrendous if you had a small telegraph box because any delay they would cause the person to register outside the box.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just did a instance in a asteroid, not sure if that was supposed to be a group thing but I soloed it on a medic /shrug. was cool tho

I played a bit in the closed beta for the F2P version, got around lvl 14, and was quite liking it. I stopped until the open beta because of the wipe, but I'm excited to start playing it again.

But during the closed beta I noticed the performance wasn't that great. Do you guys know if they optimized it?

TheYanger

Not my fault that the 'good guy' races are less appealing visually, also their town is a fucking hole in the ground while the majesty of Ilium shows you the true dominance of the Dominion.

I really wanted to be a Granok before I got into the alpha for the game but they just don't look good most of the time. Especially in late game armor.

Even the 'human' races on each faction are subtly different. Different mannerisms/stances and different hairstyles etc. I can't have Skrillex hair as an exile.

-Digits-

Excited for this. I played a bit on a guest pass shortly after launch and liked it, but it ran like crap on my machine so I didn't buy it. I'll go on that Jabbawotsitsname server with the rest of you EU guys.

TheYanger

How are the tanking classes in this game?

My information is horribly outdated - haven't played since a couple months after launch, but it was fun, they're not all that different than playing a DPS in terms of how you aim attacks and whatnot. You've got warriors who have a pretty simple skillset with lots of utility and mobility, stalkers who rely a lot on avoidance and absorbs and stuff, and engineers who are midrange tanks (Their tanking attakcs don't generally travel as far as their dps ones do) with less mobility and more self shielding.

http://www.twitch.tv/theyanger/c/4567495 Video of me tanking one of the 5 man bosses on my engineer (only one I have left, sadly), you can see that I don't generally have to stand right on him (midrange). Just note that I had color blind mode on, so yellow is bad red is good and blue is my attacks (it's very faint). In normal colorations the telegraphs are significantly brighter for your own attacks.

RK9039

My information is horribly outdated - haven't played since a couple months after launch, but it was fun, they're not all that different than playing a DPS in terms of how you aim attacks and whatnot. You've got warriors who have a pretty simple skillset with lots of utility and mobility, stalkers who rely a lot on avoidance and absorbs and stuff, and engineers who are midrange tanks (Their tanking attakcs don't generally travel as far as their dps ones do) with less mobility and more self shielding.

http://www.twitch.tv/theyanger/c/4567495 Video of me tanking one of the 5 man bosses on my engineer (only one I have left, sadly), you can see that I don't generally have to stand right on him (midrange). Just note that I had color blind mode on, so yellow is bad red is good and blue is my attacks (it's very faint). In normal colorations the telegraphs are significantly brighter for your own attacks.

Thanks, I'm watching that video now. I might try the warrior class first.

So much this.

This game is FANTASTIC, blows every other shitty 'action' mmo out of the water, but the first 15-20 levels always felt exactly like any other wow-alike, and it was a real struggle to keep convincing folks to level past that shit to get to see what makes the game unique.

Wildstar has the best combat in any MMO. You just can't actually tell when you're level 3 with two buttons and enemies that don't do shit to you so you don't have to care.

Interesting, tried it out for a bit with some friends, but we just couldn't get excited about it for precisely this reason even though we could see it had the potential to deliver on that GW2 promise. Sounds like it's worth taking a second look.

TheYanger

watching videos, it still strikes me how EXCELLENT the bosses in this game are.

https://youtu.be/3NA3Z8FiSN4 If you're not sold on the game watching shit like this, this is the last boss of one of the first dungeons in the game (this is the hard mode version at max level, but it's basically the same). Like, they're so good all the way up.

Top Bottom