• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will New 3DS usher in more support for circle pad pro?

BigDug13

We should see a lot of games still coming out playable on the old 3DS that will have enhanced features for New 3DS play. Since the New 3DS has two additional shoulder buttons and a right stick, just like the circle pad pro provides, will this usher in a whole slew of greater support for the circle pad pro?

Mihos

Gold Member
Nintendo decided to fragment the base, so if I was developing a game and wanted to reach the largest possible user base... then no.

Berordn

Most likely, since the two flagship titles on the system that were advertised with C-Stick support actually just treat it as a CPP. It's probably the easiest way for developers to design with new 3DS in mind without having to code specifically for its architecture changes

Most likely, since the two flagship titles on the system that were advertised with C-Stick support actually just treat it as a CPP. It's probably the easiest way for developers to design with new 3DS in mind without having to code specifically for its architecture changes

I guess so, but it's headscratching that Smash only supports C-Stick not CPP.

I'm wondering if it won't actually add support, because if a developer is going to push the new 3DS features, it seems likely that they might also use the extra horsepower and make a "new 3DS" exclusive title like Xenoblade.

I guess only time will tell, though.

BigDug13

I'm wondering if it won't actually add support, because if a developer is going to push the new 3DS features, it seems likely that they might also use the extra horsepower and make a "new 3DS" exclusive title like Xenoblade.

I guess only time will tell, though.

It seems like leaving a lot of money on the table to not release games as crossgen for third parties at least. It's why we still have crossgen releases on PS360.

In my humble opinion, yes. Very yes.

Both "old" and "new" 3DSes have a way to use a second analog input now. The "1st gen" having the $20 USD or less external attachment and the "2nd gen" having it built-in.

I'm expecting a lot more games in the near future to adapt this functionality.

It's great, because now we can get some seriously engaging portable games, more so than on an iOS/Android device.

I recently replayed the MGS 3D demo on my New 3DS and it was absolutely engrossing, with better 3D and essentially almost like PS Vita controls. Need to purchase the game!

Regarding horsepower of the new chipset and VRAM, I think what will happen is something like "New 3DS-enhanced" titles.

I wouldn't necessarily say it will be exclusive to the newer generation of 3DS, but some functionality and graphics (like what is readily apparent in MH4U) may be enhanced with the newer model, but is still playable on older 3DSes.

VLiberty

Ironfall
MH4
Majora's Mask
Moon Episodes(NA only)
Ace Combat
Shantae

Six games in the first month alone, while we didn't even get past a dozen in the last three years. Definitely it's getting more support as Nintendo finally recognized its existence(Kid Icatus was the only first party game to support it IIRC, now we got Majora's and Steam will support CPP as well)

Berordn

I guess so, but it's headscratching that Smash only supports C-Stick not CPP.

They probably had to be a bit forward thinking with Smash. If they'd been planning amiibo support on the 3DS from the start and that dongle is ever going to be released for the old 3DS models, I wouldn't be surprised if they're putting priority on that rather than the CPP which barely made a splash in the ecosystem.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Well, at the very least there's no reason for N3DS exclusive games to not use the c-stick.

Shiggy

Ironfall
MH4
Majora's Mask
Moon Episodes(NA only)
Ace Combat
Shantae

Six games in the first month alone, while we didn't even get past a dozen in the last three years. Definitely it's getting more support as Nintendo finally recognized its existence(Kid Icatus was the only first party game to support it IIRC, now we got Majora's and Steam will support CPP as well)

Steel Diver: Subwars also supported it.

I just hope devs don't go the route of adding c-stick support and making the games n3DS exclusive.
Sakurai said that the CPP comes at a 5% CPU cost (this is probably why Kid Icarus had it announced really late and SSB skipped it) so I can sort of see why devs might be happier to make it an n3DS exclusive feature.

OG 3DS has shown us that it's quite possible to make a huge variety of games that play fine without a second stick. I mean, obviously some game types work better with than without, and we've seen less of some genres...but on the whole, it's been fine without it.

Which is a good lesson to take sometimes. Work with what you have.

Pachimari

I don't think we'll see any great support for the New Nintendo 3DS exclusive features or the CCP. The CCP is limited out there, and I am skeptic as to how much the peripheral has actually sold. And looking at history, the DSi didn't get many exclusives, while software for peripherals like PlayStation Move were limited.

6-7 titles for the N3DS the first month is a very good start though, and I love it in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, and liked the CCP support quite a bit in the Resident Evil: Revelations demo.

But other than Project Steam, I have a hard time seeing which upcoming Nintendo exclusives will support it. I also wonder how many more titles we'll get for the format until the next Nintendo handheld arrives.

Corgi

Banned
well the system is still mostly gonna be etrian odysseys and top down jrpgs, so probably not that much more support.

Top Bottom