• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will PS2's Online userbase increase because of GT4?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I think it's safe to say FFXI help sell quite a bit of PS2 network adaptors, as well as Socom II. Gran Turismo is an incredibly large franchise and GT4 is such a huge potential hit overflowing with buzz and anticipation. How much larger do you think Sony's online userbase is going to grow say, within the first month upon GT4's release? Do you think network adaptors are gonna fly off shelves in droves? Do you feel there is going to be a major surge in sales and that the PS2 online figures will...*gasp*... actuallyrival Xbox Live's?

The reason I ask is because I wonder how other PS2 online games will be affected if people decide to buy the NA in droves. I wonder if there will be as many users playing the PS2 version of Burnout 3 online, as they will Xbox version.

What do you speculate?

Kudie

I would guess that the online userbase for PS2 will increase due to GT4. It is, like you said, a huge franchise with a huge fanbase. One of the big complaints against GT is its bad AI. With online now available, these players can finally play human oponents and I feel this will be a big draw. I'm sure Sony will use GT4 as a ploy to get people to jump aboard the PS2 online community.

i could very well be wrong here, but isn't the PS2s online user base more than xbox's? or damn close to it?

numbers please.

anyways, yeah, Gran Turismo is easily gonna be the biggest online app Sony will have for the rest of this generation. i know it's gonna be a $100 game (game + BBA) to a lot of people. well, it is for me atleast.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Johnny Nighttrain said:
i could very well be wrong here, but isn't the PS2s online user base more than xbox's? or damn close to it?

numbers please.

anyways, yeah, Gran Turismo is easily gonna be the biggest online app Sony will have for the rest of this generation. i know it's gonna be a $100 game (game + BBA) to a lot of people. well, it is for me atleast.

Your right, however since its not centralized its very hard to count or guage.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Speaking of GT4's online features, have we been told whether or not it will be broadband only? If it's 56k and broadband, will there be any kind of seperation between the two kinds of users? Or will BB users have to mingle with th 56k'ers?

What about Burntout3?

isamu

trippingmartian said:
I think it all depends on how well the online play is implemented.

Are you saying that PD hasn't even decided yet???

isamu said:
Are you saying that PD hasn't even decided yet???

They've decided, they just haven't talked about it too much. GamePro had a bit of coverage of it a few months ago and said that there's alot more to the online mode than some people think. They seem to be taking the only portion seriously since Kaz really wants to build a racing community.

Mrbob

DCharlie said:
Hasn't everyone who likes GT bought a PS2 for GT3???

No.

Just let not everyone who likes Zelda has bought a Gamcube yet.

Or everyone who like Halo has not bought an Xbox yet.

I'd imagine that note everyone who likes GTA owns a PS2 yet.

I bought my ethernetadapter for my PS2 in the begining of the year just cause GT4, so
i guess YES :D

(still havent used it for any game, since GT4 isnt out yet)

Agent X

isamu said:
Do you feel there is going to be a major surge in sales and that the PS2 online figures will...*gasp*... actuallyrival Xbox Live's?

You're kidding, right?

The PS2 Network Adaptor has already outsold X-Box Live by at least a factor of 3, maybe even 4.

isamu said:
I wonder if there will be as many users playing the PS2 version of Burnout 3 online, as they will Xbox version.

Probably a good deal more on the PS2 side, thanks to 3-4 times the online userbase as mentioned above. The PS2 version will also be boosted by other factors, such as true force feedback steering wheels being available for PS2 but not for X-Box.

Now, to respond to the question of whether there will be a major surge in Network Adaptor sales due to the arrival of Gran Turismo 4...the answer is an emphatic "Oh hell yeah!"

jarrod

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think FFXI really did much to push PS2 online outside Japan. Isn't the game only around 200k in America?

Gattsu25

Banned
jarrod said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think FFXI really did much to push PS2 online outside Japan. Isn't the game only around 200k in America?

isn't 200K somewhere around 1/5 of XBL's active userbase? :b

Agent X said:
The PS2 Network Adaptor has already outsold X-Box Live by at least a factor of 3, maybe even 4.

Well, you can't really compare it like that. Since every Xbox essentially comes with a network adapter built-in, then you could say that there have been 5-6 times as many Xbox NA sold than PS2 NA.

Anyway, I think it will help increase NA usage for the PS2. Although, it would have anywhere neat the impact that Halo 2 will have for Live. I still can't believe there's no voice chat during the actual racing.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
I'm wondering if GT4 will knock down SOCOM II as the PS2's killer game app for online gaming. There really hasn't been that much of competition on the PS2's online front against SOCOM II since it dethroned SOCOM 1 a year ago.

Shompola

Banned
I'm still surprised of the amount of players SOCOM I and II have had. Those games would probably have the same impact as wolfenstein on LiVE.

FightyF

Banned
I've had my NA for years...and GT4 will be the first game I'll play online with it :p

This game has so much potential for online play. I really hope this potential is realized!

Ie. Creating races with a lot of restrictions...Civic's only...under 200hp only, FWD only, etc.

isamu

Agent X said:
You're kidding, right?

Probably a good deal more on the PS2 side, thanks to 3-4 times the online userbase as mentioned above. The PS2 version will also be boosted by other factors, such as true force feedback steering wheels being available for PS2 but not for X-Box.[/b]

Interesting observations Agent. I didn't know that thanks for the clarifications.

Defensor said:
I'm wondering if GT4 will knock down SOCOM II as the PS2's killer game app for online gaming. There really hasn't been that much of competition on the PS2's online front against SOCOM II since it dethroned SOCOM 1 a year ago.

That's an excellent point Defensor I am also wondering the same thing. It'll be interesting.

Fight for Freeform said:
I've had my NA for years...and GT4 will be the first game I'll play online with it :p

This game has so much potential for online play. I really hope this potential is realized!

Ie. Creating races with a lot of restrictions...Civic's only...under 200hp only, FWD only, etc.

Man, you said it! Those kinds of races would be awesome! Can you imagine an F1 only league? An LM350 Race car league? The different types of cars and adjustments is going to give this game an ENORMOUS amount of replay value!!

FightyF

Banned
isamu: Agreed. It would also get people really into the tweaking of all things tweakable.

Imagine racing stock Civics...the only difference between all of them is how they are tweaked. Your tires may be different than mine. My gear ration more inclined for faster starts, yours for faster acceleration when turning, etc.

I think this game has the potential to be the greatest online racing game.

isamu

COCKLES said:
Well if I got a new PS2 it would be for San Andreas and not GT4.

but you wouldnt buy an NA for gt4?

TheDiave

Banned
I think it's got just as much potential as any other quality online title Sony's got coming down the pike to increase the numbers... I mean a few people mentioned Socom 2 and FFXI... I think Hot Shots Golf Fore! will add some people too.

isamu

TheDiave said:
I think it's got just as much potential as any other quality online title Sony's got coming down the pike to increase the numbers... I mean a few people mentioned Socom 2 and FFXI... I think Hot Shots Golf Fore! will add some people too.

Woah I didn't know Hot Shots Golf was going to be online! That's great news. Even though I've never played I hear it's very fun. Don't forget about the new DDR game as well.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
isamu said:
Woah I didn't know Hot Shots Golf was going to be online! That's great news. Even though I've never played I hear it's very fun. Don't forget about the new DDR game as well.
DDR Extreme for the PS2 is going to be online? Or are you refering to the next Ultramix for Xbox?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I heard that it'll take advantage of the HD if you have one.

Of course, I also heard today that "dropping your keys" is actually a euphemism for something naughty. :rolleyes

isamu

Defensor said:
DDR Extreme for the PS2 is going to be online? Or are you refering to the next Ultramix for Xbox?
I dunno what console it is for I just remember hearing that A version of DDR is coming online so I assumed it's the PS2 vers. Could be the Ultramix one though I dunno.

Kudie

Fight for Freeform said:
isamu: Agreed. It would also get people really into the tweaking of all things tweakable.

Imagine racing stock Civics...the only difference between all of them is how they are tweaked. Your tires may be different than mine. My gear ration more inclined for faster starts, yours for faster acceleration when turning, etc.

I think this game has the potential to be the greatest online racing game.

Yeah, this would be great.

Does anyone know whether GT4 will be broadband only or for both dial-up and BB?

isamu

No one seems to know. If it's both, I hope they make it seperate and by "connection type" know what I mean?

Top Bottom