• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will R&C: Rift Apart PC need a SSD to run? PLACE YOUR BETS

What will be the minimum requirement?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
it will need 2 ssds to run

1 for ratchet

1 for clank

sad-rivet.gif

Danknugz

Exactly.

The context of the game being promoted years back was it was a game only doable on a PS5 SSD. And considering Cerny put so much effort into PS5’s SSD tech it all blended together that it is the PS5 required. And then Sony saying certain SSDs only work on PS5 as compatible.

Not any SSD would work. PS5 SSD is the one.

And in tech, typically you need a beefier PC to play console games at the same settings since PC has overhead and windows etc to do. So the fact R&C can run on a weak PC with a HDD goes totally against the image they were trying to promote that R&C can only be done on PS5 and it’s SSD.
how this wasn't clearly obvious from the very beginning amazes me. drive by post, not interested in the game.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't see how an HDD could handle what this game does. But you won't need a 5GB/s SSD.

Edit: I guess it does support HDDs, will be interesting to see how that works.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They said it would run. They didn't say it would look good.

It's not about how it looks though, it's about how it throws you between completely different environments with just a brief portal sequence in-between. But I guess that can last as long as it needs to. Another thing is when you hit those crystals, where it loads a completely different environment with just a flash of light in-between. But maybe they will load both environments into memory instead.

Roni

Gold Member
EoPvyMlXIAE6Rsx.jpg

>Graphics settings are irrelevant, so are other hardware components. If this can run off a HDD with none of the previously mentioned issues, even if it requires 64gb of ram, an i9 and all on the lowest of settings, it'll already count as a win for the HDD. After all, the effect of the SSD on game design was always the main topic of these conversations.
What? With enough RAM you can just load the entire game to memory.

That's ridiculous...

LRKD

I think there is a decent chance it'll be playable, but with weird glitches occurring from the game not loading as fast as expected. At least that was what happened with Dead Space remake.

Buggy Loop

Can't wait for the DF tech review of this and to see the visual additions for PC.

Hopefully, no stutter, no shit performances ala Last of Us. Nixxes is the better PC porter for Sony at the least.

If this was port was coming from any other developer then I would apprehensive about the quality of the game on PC. But this is coming from Nixxes who did stellar work with the PC ports of Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales, which I believe use the same engine as Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

This new game uses DirectStorage 1.2 though, unlike the two Spider-Man games (hopefully they can patch their work from Ratchet & Clank back into those games too?) so that is a very nice and welcome bonus. However, I suspect Nixxes will have worked their magic to ensure the game still runs on older non-DirectStorage compatible hardware and I saw a quote that said that DirectStorage would also work on SATA3 SSDs and even hard drives! If there was ever a PC game I would be 100% confident about pre-ordering then it would be this one. Nixxes are a very talented studio and this port could not be in better hands in my opinion. They actually optimise PC games properly and support the games extensively post-launch to fix remaining issues.

If they really allow the game to run on an HDD then LOL FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT LIARS

I suspect the game will have much lower quality assets when played from a hard drive and, who knows, maybe there will be loading screens when going through portals on such systems? Doesn't mean the game cannot be played, just that it won't run as well or look as good as it does on systems with high-specs and SSD storage. How can you block a game from being installed on a hard drive on PC anyway? Sony do it for the PS5 but that is because they have full control of the hardware and software. That level of control is not possible on PC, as far as I know. I am not aware of any PC game that can only be played from an SSD.

Guilty_AI

in the end many who play modern games on an HDD have reported not having any major issues.
Only game i played so far that had serious issues with running in a HDD was Baldurs Gate 3 EA. Even Cyberpunk ran fine after turning on HDD optimizations, Forspoken demo too despite some annoyingly long load times.

Last edited:

CuNi

I suspect the game will have much lower quality assets when played from a hard drive and, who knows, maybe there will be loading screens when going through portals on such systems? Doesn't mean the game cannot be played, just that it won't run as well or look as good as it does on systems with high-specs and SSD storage. How can you block a game from being installed on a hard drive on PC anyway? Sony do it for the PS5 but that is because they have full control of the hardware and software. That level of control is not possible on PC, as far as I know. I am not aware of any PC game that can only be played from an SSD.

While you cannot block a game being installed on an HDD on PC, at least not without either controlling the Store or having very extensive permissions on the PC to even find out what type of Storage is installed, at least for steam, some games just opted to enter "SSD" on Minimum and Recommended Specs on Steam. That would usually signal to someone that the game is build around being installed on said SSD, and going against it makes any arguments for poor performance moot. But saying an HDD is the Minimum Spec suggests that it was tested and was considered to be "playable" and enjoyable, even on a HDD.

At least that is how I would read those entries.

Black_Stride

hw decompression that 3 years later is done on pc on gpu thx to directStorage
GPU Hardware decompression??

The PS5 doesnt use its GPU to do decompression so how could that possibly be PS5 tech when the PS5 doesnt do it?
The PS5 has a dedicated kraken hardware unit for decompression.
And GPU de/compression has been a thing on PC for years, Sony didnt invent it......game devs just didnt bother with it and MS giving us an API for easy implementation is whats driving (hopefully) more devs to actually use it.

nvComp was released before the PS5 came out.
nvcomp

And thats just one example of a GPU de/compression algorithm.

I could keep going but I know you have some counterpoint which proves its all because of the PS5 that Microsoft developed DirectStorage (which was in development before the PS5) and King Cerny is the reason engineers figured CUDA is good for all these cool things, what if we used it for de/compression.
By extension shouldnt any GPU be capable of GPU de/compression......nooooo not until the PS5 does it, then our monkey brains will figure it out.

cireza

We're now going to have to read a ton of terrible posts like this, I guess...
You could already read them after the interview from Insomniac back then, because people with common sense clearly saw the bullshit.
Everything he's talking about is about instantaneous speeds, which haven't been done before in previous generations.
We were doing this on Master System and NES.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

GPU Hardware decompression??

The PS5 doesnt use its GPU to do decompression so how could that possibly be PS5 tech when the PS5 doesnt do it?
The PS5 has a dedicated kraken hardware unit for decompression.
And GPU de/compression has been a thing on PC for years, Sony didnt invent it......game devs just didnt bother with it and MS giving us an API for easy implementation is whats driving (hopefully) more devs to actually use it.

nvComp was released before the PS5 came out.
nvcomp

And thats just one example of a GPU de/compression algorithm.

I could keep going but I know you have some counterpoint which proves its all because of the PS5 that Microsoft developed DirectStorage (which was in development before the PS5) and King Cerny is the reason engineers figured CUDA is good for all these cool things, what if we used it for de/compression.
By extension shouldnt any GPU be capable of GPU de/compression......nooooo not until the PS5 does it, then our monkey brains will figure it out.
ps5 has hw decompresion and its not done by gpu, on pc thx now to directStorage is done by gpu in Ratchet, DirectStorage 1.0 was introduced for Windows (10 and 11) in March 2022, first usage in Forspoken (24 Jan 2023) and now 1.2 in Ratchet, ps5 released date November 2020

Black_Stride

ps5 has hw decompresion and its not done by gpu, on pc thx now to directStorage is done by gpu in Ratchet, DirectStorage 1.0 was introduced for Windows (10 and 11) in March 2022, first usage in Forspoken (24 Jan 2023) and now 1.2 in Ratchet, ps5 released date November 2020
How do you suppose PCs did decompression before lord Cerny gifted us with the miracle of hardware decompression.........with Pokemon?

Black_Stride

before directStorage ? by cpu
Which is a piece of _____ware.
Fill in the blank.

DirectStorage is just an API (that also has GDeflate) that helps devs better utilize the hardware available to them to do de/compression without needing to code shit from scratch.
Devs dont necessarily have the time or will to create new APIs and algorithms that can better utilize the hardware to do de/compression which is why they use off the shelf stuff thats available, youve seen the oodle logo or the zLib logo in games.

Microsoft released this API to make life easier, but GPU de/compression existed before DirectStorage and before the PS5.....its not PS5 tech, Microsoft just brought an API for gamedevs to use.....beyond the investment there was nothing actually stopping game devs from having super efficient de/compression for their games......weve seen this already with some games that inexplicable load super fast, then others that seemingly load 1 kilobyte per minute.

DirectStorage has nothing to do with the PS5, GPU decompression was an inevitability, Nvidia were testing CUDA based compression years ago.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Fill in the blank.

DirectStorage is just an API (that also has GDeflate) that helps devs better utilize the hardware available to them to do de/compression without needing to code shit from scratch.
Devs dont necessarily have the time or will to create new APIs and algorithms that can better utilize the hardware to do de/compression which is why they use off the shelf stuff thats available, youve seen the oodle logo or the zLib logo in games.

Microsoft released this API to make life easier, but GPU de/compression existed before DirectStorage and before the PS5.....its not PS5 tech, Microsoft just brought an API for gamedevs to use.....beyond the investment there was nothing actually stopping game devs from having super efficient de/compression for their games......weve seen this already with some games that inexplicable load super fast, then others that seemingly load 1 kilobyte per minute.

DirectStorage has nothing to do with the PS5, GPU decompression was an inevitability, Nvidia were testing CUDA based compression years ago.

He never said it was done by GPU on PS5. Your whole rant is irrelevant. The tech inside the PS5 is PS5 tech, and has nothing to do with pc. PS5 has dedicated hardware for decompression, so why is it weird if people call it PS5 tech?

Nobody said that other companies can’t have their own solutions for it.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
We were doing this on Master System and NES.

People know that SSD is only used for loading assets. People took the headline that was misquoted and ran with it. Based on the dev's words, he wasn't saying that.

If the PS5 can load it within seconds then that means it's going to take minutes with a standard HDD.

This low setting is likely going to remove tons of assets in the background and reduce the quality dramatically just to get a reasonable speed on a standard HDD.

The higher you go in quality, the longer is going to take.

This is where the real test comes in

Black_Stride

He never said it was done by GPU on PS5. Your whole rant is irrelevant. The tech inside the PS5 is PS5 tech, and has nothing to do with pc. PS5 has dedicated hardware for decompression, so why is it weird if people call it PS5 tech?

Nobody said that other companies can’t have their own solutions for it.
He was claiming hardware decompression was PS5 tech that PCs only started doing 3 years later
But hardware decompression has been a thing on PC for eons.

When asked what PS5 tech he said:
hw decompression that 3 years later is done on pc on gpu thx to directStorage

If my comprehension is off about what this sentence means then my bad.

omegasc

When I look at the difference in titles using same engine like Final Fantasy VII Remake, I can't believe it will be a good experience with an HDD. But they had time to optimize, and maybe they will really make use of DirectStorage or whatever it's called?

We literally had Epic doing rifts on HDDs in Fortnite, and people were wondering if Sony was being honest that Ratchet was only possible with the PS5 SSD?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's the decompression of PS5's SSD that's responsible for the high loading speeds, not really the speed of the SSD itself.

On PC with the fastest SSD, you can still get poor loading.

If on PC DirectX Storage and GPU decompression is used, all this fuss about a HDD is kind of stupid. Especially seeing the use of a HDD in the MINIMUM, which still states a SSD is recommended.
Yes, I'm just using SSD overall instead mentioning their i/o.

You could use SSDs in a PS4 console but only get a small jump in loading speeds.

Black_Stride

When I look at the difference in titles using same engine like Final Fantasy VII Remake, I can't believe it will be a good experience with an HDD. But they had time to optimize, and maybe they will really make use of DirectStorage or whatever it's called?
Final Fantasy 7 Remake is running on Insomniacs engine?

Someone either needs to call Squeenix and tell them to get that licensing fee back from Epic.....or call Epic and tell them Insomniac seems to have stolen your engine and is calling it their own.

Or my buddy omegasc omegasc started the weekend early and is mistaking Forspoken for Final Fantasy 7 Remake and is mistaking Unreal Engine for every engine that ever engine'd

sncvsrtoip

Fill in the blank.

Lol :d yes cpu is hw but is general unit and calculation on it is called software approach (like before 3dfx voodo was responsible also for rendering pipeline), disadvantage of this approach is that is just slower. Ps5 has hw decompressor that do it much faster and now with directstorsge api pc also can do it fast on gpu and thats what Nixies used in Ratchet port.

Kakax11

Banned
I'd rather spend my money on Remnant 2, PS ports on PC always launch with issues, TLOU still unnecessarily heavy on PC but then again Iron Galaxy did that port so i'll blame them fully on it (like we all did back in 2015 with Arkham Knight)

Kataploom

Gold Member
Looking at the specs. You indeed need a way more expensive pc to even match the PS5 performance at all.
Well, that's not true at all...

You don't even need 1k PC for that, specially these days with RX 6000 cards in the market. But Sony games tend to be specially badly optimized, I don't even know why those games specifically run worse than any other game, so instead of needing a 6600 (PS5 equivalent GPU) like all other current gen games for 1440p at 60 fps, you'll need around a 6700 XT for that.

But then all other games will run way better than on PS5 anyway. That's around $700 or max $800 computer with a CPU that runs leaps and bounds around the one in PS5 because unless you cheap out way too much on an i3 or a Ryzen 3 CPU.

How do I know? I have a PC 5600X + RX 6700 XT PC which is my main gaming platform.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm sure you can simply load a major part of the game to memory if you have the recourses on PC. Can already see some tricks they can do to alleviate the lack of fast storage on some configurations.

omegasc

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is running on Insomniacs engine?

Someone either needs to call Squeenix and tell them to get that licensing fee back from Epic.....or call Epic and tell them Insomniac seems to have stolen your engine and is calling it their own.

Or my buddy omegasc omegasc started the weekend early and is mistaking Forspoken for Final Fantasy 7 Remake and is mistaking Unreal Engine for every engine that ever engine'd
lol I meant Final Fantasy 7R for PS4 and PS5 used the same engine (PS5 had new stuff specifically for SSD but base is UE4)
now send me a beer or 10, because tomorrow is the last day before my 2 weeks vacations!

Last edited:
Top Bottom