• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Smith is absolutely the worst actor at picking roles

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
and it's kind of sad, because the dude is a great actor and one of my favorites

just looking at his filmmography from current to 2015...he just been in a lot of bad to mediocre stuff. He's almost like the opposite of Tom Cruise. Tom is really good at picking roles, besides The Mummy. Tom's movies are generally at a baseline level good to great. You never really see him make a dud

Will has been in truly awful stuff, the last good movie of his was probably King Richard and Bad Boys 3 was ok but the rest was terrible. Going further back theres so much crap.

Really wish he never turned down The Matrix for Wild Wild West...

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
and it's kind of sad, because the dude is a great actor and one of my favorites

just looking at his filmmography from current to 2015...he just been in a lot of bad to mediocre stuff. He's almost like the opposite of Tom Cruise. Tom is really good at picking roles, besides The Mummy. Tom's movies are generally at a baseline level good to great. You never really see him make a dud

Will has been in truly awful stuff, the last good movie of his was probably King Richard and Bad Boys 3 was ok but the rest was terrible. Going further back theres so much crap.

Really wish he never turned down The Matrix for Wild Wild West...
100% agree. Dude is charming and great. But his agent has really fucked him over the years.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared She
said "you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"
I begged and pleaded with her the other day But she
packed my suitcase and sent me on my way
She gave me a kissin' and she gave me my ticket I put
my walkman on and said
I might as well kick it First class, yo this isn't bad,
Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass Is this
what the people of Bel-Air livin' like,
Hmm this might be alright!
I whistled for a cab and when it came near the License
plate said "Fresh" and had a dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab was rare But
I thought nah forget it, yo home to Bel-Air
I pulled up to a house about seven or eight
And I yelled to the cabby "Yo, homie smell you later"
Looked at my kingdom I was finally there To sit on
my throne as the prince of Bel-Air.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
He seems like most other big name Hollywood stars that have been around for decades. Lots of schlock with some really good highlights mixed in.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
He just does will smith in 90% of his roles anyway.
I would have said this for bruce willis then well, dude is a fucking legend (bruce) so he can do bruce willis any damn time he pleases

as for Will, him playing will works only I think for some movie roles but not all, Perfect in Fresh prince. good in hitch, great in men in black, great in hancock. maybe enemy of the state.

then the rest blur.. oh Bad boys he is good/great.

but yeah something is up with him and Jada.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I would have said this for bruce willis then well, dude is a fucking legend (bruce) so he can do bruce willis any damn time he pleases

as for Will, him playing will works only I think for some movie roles but not all, Perfect in Fresh prince. good in hitch, great in men in black, great in hancock. maybe enemy of the state.

then the rest blur.. oh Bad boys he is good/great.

but yeah something is up with him and Jada.
I think the only things i like with smith are independence day and a bit of fresh prince, don't really give a fuck or even watched the rest, his persona\acting kinda bothers me in the wrong way.

chromhound

He's the absolute worst actor at choosing a wife. ;)

%D0%BF%D0%BE%D1%85%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BD%D1%8B-the-funeral.gif

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Agreed.

That new film he's in on Apple, Emancipation, is apparently a dud with critics, however the audience score is above 90%.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
A bit too harsh.

I am Legend, Men In Black, I, Robot to add to the list. Maybe not the greatest films, but still good.

As well as being the lead in an iconic Tv show that generations look upon fondly. And he won an Oscar (overshadowed by the ceremony, obvs).

The rumours are that he was in a relationship with Margot Robbie.

Larry David Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I think the only things i like with smith are independence day and a bit of fresh prince, don't really give a fuck or even watched the rest, his persona\acting kinda bothers me in the wrong way.
i forgot about ID4 shit nooooooooooooo

jufonuk

not tag worthy
A bit too harsh.

I am Legend, Men In Black, I, Robot to add to the list. Maybe not the greatest films, but still good.

As well as being the lead in an iconic Tv show that generations look upon fondly. And he won an Oscar (overshadowed by the ceremony, obvs).

if he was in a relationship with her, then
season 4 starz GIF by Outlander

xrnzaaas

He's probably demanding too much money and refusing roles with smaller payouts. Even if you were a superstar in the past you can stop being one if you stop appearing in lots of big movies.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Will Smith's best movies are the movies where he's basically just Will Smith. Independence Day, Bad Boys, Men in Black, Hancock, I Robot.

If you scroll through his IMDB page there are remarkably few legit good movies on that list.
Exactly. Similar to the Rock. But he's a better actor than The Rock at least, I'll give him that.

Kenpachii

Dude made excellent movies, great actor. Sure he made some duds but with the huge lists of movies he made he made it was simple bound to happen.
- men in black
- bad boys
- wild wild west fun movie
- i robot
- aladdin
- hancock
- pursuit of happyness
- enemy of hte state
- independence day
- i am legend

He made some music hits, and his tv series fresh prince of bell air was incredible.

About his private life, all these top actors have fucking up private lives lets be honest here. I am pretty sure will is messing around with woman also which is probably the base for there fucking up relationship to start with. Sure its a cuck and i would have bailed 3 seconds after my wife/girlfriend slept around. but he's clearly fine with it so be it.

The slap at the oscars, sure it was not acceptable even remotely. But at the end of the day dude is a great actor.

Bragr

Banned
Dude made excellent movies, great actor. Sure he made some duds but with the huge lists of movies he made he made it was simple bound to happen.
- men in black
- bad boys
- wild wild west fun movie
- i robot
- aladdin
- hancock
- pursuit of happyness
- enemy of hte state
- independence day
- i am legend

He made some music hits, and his tv series fresh prince of bell air was incredible.

About his private life, all these top actors have fucking up private lives lets be honest here. I am pretty sure will is messing around with woman also which is probably the base for there fucking up relationship to start with. Sure its a cuck and i would have bailed 3 seconds after my wife/girlfriend slept around. but he's clearly fine with it so be it.

The slap at the oscars, sure it was not acceptable even remotely. But at the end of the day dude is a great actor.
You forgot his best movie, Ali.

Sonik

Great? Of course, that's subjective, but I don't see it. Competent, sure. But honestly, outside of his comedic roles, I've never been a big fan.

You need to watch 7 Pounds. Great movie plus one of the very few ones where Smith is making an effort. The dude can act, he just chooses not to

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
A bit too harsh.

I am Legend was an awful cgi laden insult to the source material.

Batiman

Banned
Ya I consider him pretty great as an actor. His behaviour at the oscars sort of soured me on him as a person though.

Bad boys 3 was crap though

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I would say he has had some pretty great luck/skill in choosing roles. He is still relevant (or was up until he slapped someone) and has managed to balance his prestige projects and his blockbuster stuff.

Top Bottom