• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Sony sell their custom SSD for PS5 while other brands are approved?

geordiemp

I'm pretty sure that the SSD that Sony has in PS5 isn't removable & the reason that it's so fast is because of it's connection.

Any SSD that Sony sell wouldn't have the same benefit as the SSD made into the console but it will benefit from the co-processors

I think its integrated on the board so the 12 NAND chips are arranged or organised cleverly for cooling is my guess, maybe also cost as its one less PCB assembly.

GHG

This is such an interesting point.

Are we looking at vhs/beta max, hdd/blu Ray kind of 'war', where both companies are trying to set a new standard?

No because the standard has already been set.

Pci-e NVMe drives are already widely available for PC's and laptops, just not yet at the speeds required for the PS5. Those will come later this year and the benefit is that it will result in a surge in both the supply and demand for high speed NVMe drives which will drive the prices down quicker than if this didn't happen.

Meanwhile there is one company who is left alone in the corner with a non-standard drive that is useless outside of a single console.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
As a SONY fan you really want to see them kick the shit out of Microsoft with the SSD.

RaySoft

The connection to the custom controller in the PS5 SSD is different from the connection in standard M.2 SSDs , I don't think Sony will make it easy for people to remove the standard PS5 SSD & replace it with M.2 SSDs I would guess that it would be built in like the Xbox Series X SSD but will have a M.2 drive for adding extra storage.

But if it is removable other companies should also be able to use controllers with 6 levels of priority instead of just 2.
Dont get me wrong, I too think they have soldered the nands to the pcb, simply because it's cheaper and there is no reason for having it being detatchable. But IF they wanted, they could just make a slot for it. Didnt have to be a m2 std. port even. But there are no reason to do it, so they probably didnt.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's the nature of consoles. Plug and play; ease of use. You want to research the latest upgrades for your machine the PC is a there for that.

Nope, I like my cheaper and better open market updates for the SSD instead of being nickel and dimed (Xbox 360 + WiFi + additional storage was not cheap). Adding external USB storage or adding a new SSD in the bay is easy enough and you can get the right storage you seek.
That is preferable to 1 TB proprietary memory cards for a much lower speed I/O solution.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Dont get me wrong, I too think they have soldered the nands to the pcb, simply because it's cheaper and there is no reason for having it being detatchable. But IF they wanted, they could just make a slot for it. Didnt have to be a m2 std. port even. But there are no reason to do it, so they probably didnt.
IIRC some documents on the official website stated that you can replace the internal SSD. It's definitely not soldered on, would be a nightmare for repairs.

Armorian

Banned
You missed Memory Stick and PS Vita cards that much eh ;)?

Baseline for performance is needed this time around and you will have to check things out before changing storage on PS5 to ensure not to lose performance. I doubt drives that will met the criteria will be any cheaper than MS "memory cards" for at least first few years and on Xbox you can just put more storage right away without having to do any backups or download anything from scratch. Vita cards were done as money grab on money losing console, shit move on Sony part (I guess they were alse there to prevent piracy or something? :messenger_tears_of_joy:).

longdi

Banned
Nope, I like my cheaper and better open market updates for the SSD instead of being nickel and dimed (Xbox 360 + WiFi + additional storage was not cheap). Adding external USB storage or adding a new SSD in the bay is easy enough and you can get the right storage you seek.
That is preferable to 1 TB proprietary memory cards for a much lower speed I/O solution.

what year are we in?
Take a look at Xbox One expansion storage, then come back. Look at the guy in my avatar.

Series X memory card is done this way to give gamers the most plug and play performant expansion they need. It is a great think tank put into effect. :messenger_bicep:
Look at PS5 expansion, what a headache, and will it be even cheaper than SeX cards?? Take about ze efforts needed.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
what year are we in?
Take a look at Xbox One expansion storage, then come back. Look at the guy in my avatar.

Series X memory card is done this way to give gamers the most plug and play performant expansion they need. It is a great think tank put into effect. :messenger_bicep:
Look at PS5 expansion, what a headache, and will it be even cheaper than SeX cards?? Take about ze efforts needed.

Lol, sure proprietary storage out of the kindness of his heart. With the SSD they went with they have less excuses to go proprietary only than Sony. This is 2.4 GB/s not 24 GB/s. I cannot wait for PS6 to use proprietary storage and you to rip into it regardless of any benefits ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Baseline for performance is needed this time around and you will have to check things out before changing storage on PS5 to ensure not to lose performance. I doubt drives that will met the criteria will be any cheaper than MS "memory cards" for at least first few years and on Xbox you can just put more storage right away without having to do any backups or download anything from scratch. Vita cards were done as money grab on money losing console, shit move on Sony part (I guess they were alse there to prevent piracy or something? :messenger_tears_of_joy:).

Sure, I read that long paragraph and essentially it is a long winded way to say “there are valid reason if the box I like does it (I can at least imagine them out of thin air), there are no valid reasons when the box I do not like does it (and those reasons were just greedy lies if any)”. The console which could use an off the market SSD today needs the custom one and between 2020 and 2027 SSD magically will not go down in price any further for anything above 2.4 GB/s ;).

RookX22

I don't think it is just the SSD that is improved but also how it connects to the gpu and cpu. I have seen romours that maybe the new AMD gpus might have SSD on them, if so maybe it was what Cerny was talking about with AMD and Sony co developing something. Who knows?

onQ123

My dream was for them to use CFexpress type C but when they talked about expandable storage they only mentioned M.2 SSDs & USB HDD.

card_main.jpeg

CFexpress-Type-C-memory-card.jpg

Last edited:

RaySoft

My dream was for them to use CFexpress type C but when they talked about expandable storage they only mentioned M.2 SSDs & USB HDD.

card_main.jpeg

CFexpress-Type-C-memory-card.jpg
OK, I get what you meant now. I thought you were talking about the pre-installed nands, not the expansion.
The Expansion will ofc be m2, for wide adoptation rate.
When I talked about they could just use a socket if they wanted (or any other connection) was for their own nands on the PS5 mobo. (NOT the expansion solution)

RaySoft

IIRC some documents on the official website stated that you can replace the internal SSD. It's definitely not soldered on, would be a nightmare for repairs.
I can guarantee you that you can only ADD storage, and NOT REPLACE it, simply by the can of worms you open up once you go that route.

You think the PS5 'open market' is cheaper and better? How? The drives that will be compatible with the PS5 aren't even commercially available. When has cutting edge SSD tech been cheap? I'm looking forward to comparing the prices.

DrAspirino

Banned
You drop in an NVMe and Sonys Sonys controller and lanes take over?
It doesn't work like that. Each NVME stick has its own controller and is connected directly to the PCI-E bus. If Sony wants to use a custom NVME controller embedded on the PS5 board, they'd have to make that custom controller available for different manufacturers so they can be 100% compatible in speed with the internal storage.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has taken the same approach they've been using since the original xbox: take an existing hard disk /ssd controller board and make its own custom firmware. It's cheaper to do and optimizes the drive for the console.

RaySoft

The connection to the custom controller in the PS5 SSD is different from the connection in standard M.2 SSDs , I don't think Sony will make it easy for people to remove the standard PS5 SSD & replace it with M.2 SSDs I would guess that it would be built in like the Xbox Series X SSD but will have a M.2 drive for adding extra storage.

But if it is removable other companies should also be able to use controllers with 6 levels of priority instead of just 2.
The nands shipping with the console is very likely soldered to the pcb. No reason for it to be detachable.
There's an M2 expansion port for adding storage, so it's not swapped, it's added.
The included storage is not a std. M2 SSD pcb ala used in the PC.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You think the PS5 'open market' is cheaper and better? How? The drives that will be compatible with the PS5 aren't even commercially available. When has cutting edge SSD tech been cheap? I'm looking forward to comparing the prices.

There is not such a thing as “PS5 open market”, there is only a SSD faster than 5.5 GB/s open market: of course the drive needs to have a minimum speed requirement and cannot be incredibly tall.

I do not expect drives to be trivially cheap, but I expect demand to keep rising and drive the prices down massively as it is the current trend with Flash memory for a while. This without needing mandating all drives have a specific physical format that only one company sells.

You are trying to argue that the company that had no speed requirements mandating proprietary storage is doing a pro consumer decision by using proprietary storage and just hoping they will not overcharge you because... reasons I guess? Good guy Phil hating easy money?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The nands shipping with the console is very likely soldered to the pcb. No reason for it to be detachable.
There's an M2 expansion port for adding storage, so it's not swapped, it's added.
The included storage is not a std. M2 SSD pcb ala used in the PC.

Which makes me think adding a new drive will be a lot easier than it has been in the past and saving al the money I did by shopping around for the right 2 TB HDD was worth even that modicum of effort...

Top Bottom