• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Switch 2 release before or after Sony/Microsoft hardware refresh?

When will Switch 2 release?

• Before 9th gen refresh

Votes: 33 56.9%
  • After 9th gen refresh

Votes: 25 43.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's now july. Nothing happens in summer. Next big period is holidays season Q4.

If Switch 2 is a big enough improvement, in a way, could be considered as Nintendo 10th Gen console.

KàIRóS

I mean Nintendo's president literally said one week ago that they already figured how to move the entire Switch playerbase to the next console, that would have been their biggest challenge, but if that's already taken care of then it's basically around the corner, winter 2024 at most.

I understand a lot of Nintendo enthusiasts still thinks the Switch is selling like previous years, but even with ZOLED and TOTK, the system is down YOY at all places, and will continue to do so 2nD half of the year.

Nintendo expects 15m units shipped this FY, next FY will be way less than that. It wouldn’t be recommended to wait until the Switch is dead to release Switch 2.

Caio

My two cents : The successor of Switch, which won't be a "Switch2", will come out by Nov 2024, while PS5 PRO by September 2024.

Again with the pro bullshit

If Don Matrick was alive, he would say

We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of PlayStation 5 Pro; it's called PC

PS5 Pro? :nougat_rofl:

I am not sure we need it personally. We still are only this year seeing a switch to current-gen only games with developers dropping the last-gen systems. That is a good thing because it means they have fewer consoles to test and support for their games, meaning they can focus on optimising better for the current platforms. The last thing I want to see is them again having to support another platform which could mean an inferior experience on the base hardware, say, if they decide to just use the Pro hardware to brute force a stable framerate or higher resolution instead of optimising for the lower-spec hardware first. Also, it splits the user base and while first-party games will take advantage of the more powerful hardware, the smaller number of users means that third-parties won't necessarily.

PS4 Pro came at a time when 4K TVs were becoming mainstream and that console ended up being more of a 1440p console rather than a 4K one. The Xbox One X was a much better platform for 4K gaming but it came too late and was poorly supported. Both consoles were held back by weak CPUs.

What could PS5 Pro possibly offer other than support for 8K, which no-one really cares about and which Sony still don't support on PS5 despite it being advertised very clearly on every box the console ships in? The PS5 already has a capable CPU and GPU. The Pro could ship with a larger SSD and faster GPU but at what cost? PS5 has already increased in price in many territories so the Pro model would almost certainly not be cheap and if is expensive then it means fewer sales (much like the low sales of the PS VR2 headset).

As for Switch 2... while I think it will launch sometime next year and will likely only be a small improvement on the current Switch because high-end hardware is no Nintendo's focus any more. And I think it'll launch before PS5 Pro because I sincerely hope we do not get a PS5 Pro. My PS5 feels like it has barely been used for current-gen games.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I understand a lot of Nintendo enthusiasts still thinks the Switch is selling like previous years, but even with ZOLED and TOTK, the system is down YOY at all places, and will continue to do so 2nD half of the year.

Nintendo expects 15m units shipped this FY, next FY will be way less than that. It wouldn’t be recommended to wait until the Switch is dead to release Switch 2.
Not trues Switch #1 since April best Q2 ever

We're not getting a new Nintendo console this year if that's what you're asking. At most maybe a Switch refresh like the 2019 Improved Battery model or the 2021 OLED.

Looks like Sony will put out a PS5 Slim this year. Don't know what Microsoft are doing. Maybe late next year we'll get a Series Z and a PS5 Pro.

Nobody has a clue when Nintendo will put out a new console. It's all speculation but the earliest I could see it is an announcement in about 9 months then a release later in 2024.

blacktout

Uhh, this is a hard one.

I think it's fair to guess that the Switch's successor will be released in Fall 2024, but I have no idea when we're going to see pro versions of the PS5 and/or Series systems and I assume the PS5 Slim isn't what you mean by "refresh."

I voted "before," because I guess I think pro consoles are slightly more likely in 2025 than 2024 and that if they do drop in 2024, the Switch 2 might beat them to market by a few weeks, but who knows.

For the love of god use a fast storage medium and would it kill y'all to use gorilla glass or somethin besides plastic screens.

Crazy to think this'll be the 6th Nintendo console that I've purchased, and that isn't including the handhelds.

Top Bottom