• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 sell over 1 million units in 24 hours, like the Xbox One and the Playstation 4 did?

Will XSX or PS5 sell 1 million in 24 hours?

• Xbox Series X will. PS5 will not.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Playstation 5 will. XSX will not.

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Both WILL sell 1 million in 24 hours

Votes: 63 68.5%
  • Both will FAIL to sell 1 million in 24 hours

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • One or both of the cheaper digital only SKU's will. The main consoles won't.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All main and digital SKU's WILL sell over 1 million in 24 hours

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • All main and digital SKU's will FAIL to sell over 1 million in 24 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
With the Xbox Series X releasing tomorrow and the PS5 2 days later on the 12th of this month, I was wondering how successful these consoles will be in the first 24 hours.

Back in 2013 both the Xbox One and the Playstation 4 sold 1 million ww in 24 hours. This time it will be a bit more difficult despite the "virus" that makes people assume that this may be the case.

Siding with yes
  • The most powerful console on the planet (XSX)
  • The cheapest SKU of next gen consoles on the planet (XSS)
  • Both consoles are much more powerful than their predecessors
  • Both offer cheaper SKU's
  • Gamepass savings (XSX XSS)
  • PSN Collection savings (PS5 PS5D)
  • Less limitations on game design
  • Backwards compatibility (XSS XSX)
  • Limited Backwards compatibility (PS5 PS5D)
  • Energy efficient
  • Both consoles have 4k Bluray this time

Siding with no
  • Higher game prices (PS5)
  • Lack of compelling launch games on both
  • Both $500+tax
  • Both have cheaper digital Sku's
  • Both wouldn't fit on conventional shelves
  • People may have less spending money.
  • Expandable memory prices
  • $399 digital SKU (PS5D)
  • 2 year cross-gen likely
  • Long price drop waits
  • Lack of deals this holiday

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
giphy.gif

They will.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Siding with no
  • Higher game prices (PS5)
  • Lack of compelling launch games on both
  • Both $500+tax
  • Both have cheaper digital Sku's
  • Both wouldn't fit on conventional shelves
  • People may have less spending money.
  • Expandable memory prices
  • $399 digital SKU (PS5D)
  • 2 year cross-gen likely
  • Long price drop waits
  • Lack of deals this holiday

COVID lockdowns

Stuart360

Well it would depend how many units were available, with covid and all that. Have either Microsoft or Sony given any indication of how many unites were available?.
Assuming the units were there, i'd say yes both will do it.

MrS

Banned
PS5 will, Xbox won't. I'm doubtful there are 1m XSX units on Earth at this time. We already know PS5 was available in greater quantities than PS4 at launch.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Based in the preorder allocation we have got from some big stores in US I believe only one console will sell over 1 million units in 24 hours.
Said that I expected MS to say they sold million even if they didn't archived that.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The Xbox One launched with a fucking Kinect and cost 500 dollars.
It was marred by an absolutely horrendous horrendous E3.
It was weaker than its direct rival.
Everyone though it was ugly.

Still did 1 million units in 24hours?

Im not even remotely worried about the PS5 I dont think we need to even talk about that.

Series X|S 1 million units should, should be doable.....it is a weird time but I still think it can pull it off.
If the Xbox One could do at that price with the press it had covering it......no way the Xbox Series fails.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I guess the real issue here is what is the manufacturing capacity of their manufacturer? Right now as many as they can crank out they will sell. I think the real question is which one gets to 10million first. That is what Peter Moore says will determine who wins.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Who knows, but unless supply is super gimped, both consoles are going to sell a ton.

This launch there seems to be a odd number of delays, online orders only first and stuff like that.

ethomaz

Banned
Ah so if Microsoft say they have sold a million, they will be lying. Gotcha.
It is because MS announced 1 million sold in 24 hours for Xbox One but when you got the data from the biggest trackers in the 13 countries it was being sold it didn't reached 1 million.

There is speculation at time if MS is counting what their shipped to stores (Xbox One never had supply issues and the day one editions could be found on stores even after a year of launch) or if they tried to just match in PR after Sony announced the 1 million in less than 24 hours for US only.

IMO I find the hype with Series X lower than what we had with Xbox One after the 180 changes... Xbox One had a really good hype level in November before launch... it was even talked in most placed about Xbox One having a better launch lineup than PS4. I was at gaming events few week before launch and everything people talked was about the playable demos of Forza 5, Ryse and Killer Instinct... they really were getting all the attention at launch.

But that last part is just speculation of my part.

Last edited:

RayHell

To measure what ? Speed of manufacturing ? Cause if you want to measure popularity those numbers are meaningless.

Considering they're non-existent for pre-order and I'm fully expecting to fight somebody for one at Wal-mart, yea probably.

Roufianos

Sony have said they've produced more PS5s than they did PS4s at launch. They've all sold out.

It's not really rocket science.

It is because MS announced 1 million sold in 24 hours for Xbox One but when you got the data from the biggest trackers in the 13 countries it was being sold it didn't reached 1 million.

This fanboy crap was debunked years ago.

The Xbox One sold 1 million which explained how it did better than the 360 in a bunch of countries it barely sold in after launch. Including Germany, france, and etc, and it was announced before the midnight US launch.

Ten_Fold

Sales will be about even this year, the big games like Nba2k, COD, fifa will be on both systems so casual will pick whatever is available or what they see their friends on.

Rolla

Banned
Right now, it's not a question of first 24 hour sales. Both manufacturers will sell every unit they can make so day 1 sales are a mute point.

First month sales?! I think that will be quite telling.

Top Bottom