• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will there ever be 32- or 64-bit throwback games?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Platy said:
LYtdL.jpg

yea i will give you that one.

Grayman

I could see it maybe working for pre rendered backgrounds which are not used anymore. The games will have to look nice though. FF7 art would be harder to sell as a new game than megaman 9 was.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm currently playing Vagrant Story on psp go, and i was thinking that ps1 graphics has a particular charm.

I think the more consoles became able to replicate "cgi" graphics, the less they had this charm. 3d models are so low on PSX that they have an abstract style, in shapes and all.. They just can't imitate the shape of statues or people, so they simplify it, thus make them symbolic and artistic.

But once you can have more polys like with the PS2, you can simulate complex shapes, and everything look like cheap cgi. Of course, you can still be surrealistic if you want, but better technologies tends to bring desire of realisms, then ugliness happens. Cause everything looks ugly if referenced from real things, whether each hardware limitations can find aesthetic maturity in symbolism (Wind Waker, Another World, Mario World, Vagrant Story, Rez, FF VI, such games don't really grow old for me)

-PXG-

Personally, I feel gaming needs it's own Renaissance. My brother, who isn't a gamer (but grew up playing Atari, NES and all of that stuff) has said for years that the logical step is to go backwards, and to rediscover what made gaming so great in the first place. How much more detailed do graphics have to be, until we (eventually) get the point where fantasy and reality are obscured? How much more online functionality can you add until it's just another social networking platform while making games an afterthought? Motion controls? Just a mere substitution and alternate method of interaction. Instead of pressing A, you swing the controller to do whatever A would normally do. Few motion based games go beyond simple gestures.

It would be really interesting to see more developers attempt to make 8, 16, 32 and even 64 bit games, with more focus on the game play and story, instead of visual gimmicks and other features that have nothing to do with gaming itself. But that won't happen. There's no money to be made in it :/ Fuck...

iirate

I have to give you props for bringing up FFIV DS. I think that game is the best example I've seen of a gorgeous low poly game. The models just work and are animated incredibly well. Honestly, my only complaint is that the remake wasn't a little more liberal with altering locales. If they had done that, maybe the environments would have been less boring and we could have gotten some nice pre-rendered ones in their place.

gimmmick

Yeah, they are called ds games.

In all honestly, does anyone really want to go back to low poly, jaggies everywhere type of graphics?

RedSwirl

Why would you do that? said:
In all honesty, it is hard for me to argue why 8-bit pixel art is better than 16-64 bit 3D... But I think it boils down to this.

When it comes to 8-bit pixel art, most games did not try to make things look as realistic as possible. As a result, many games had expressive and creative designs that took advantage of the limited pixels. When 3D started coming along, even with "cartoony"-type graphics, 3D artists tried to be more realistic, and trying to be realistic with early 3D only led to blocky, unrealistic, warped, and possibly muddy results.

Of course, that's not saying all pixel games were good looking (countless times I've looked at something in an NES game and asked myself, "what is that? A bench? A bed? A table?") and that's not saying all old 3D games were bad looking (Majora's Mask was a looker) but I can't see anything gained from having less polygons.

I guess, in short, 8-bit and often 16-bit pixel art games usually have a cartoony art style, while old 3D games don't really have any specific style to them. I remember Platinum made a "16 bit" Bayonetta mock-up and it doesn't look realistic. It was interesting, endearing, and looked good in general largely because it's less realistic.

It's true that until we hit photorealism, games with stylized graphics will always age better than games that try to be realistic, but what happens when we get different games with similar art styles on different hardware generations?

What if Capcom ever made an Okami 2 for the PS3 with the same art style but on much more powerful tech? Would that make Okami look outdated? I haven't played Tales of Vesperia yet, but you could also question how Abyss and Symphonia hold up visually after that game. What about King of Fighters XII compared with the entire rest of the series previous?

Emitan

gimmmick said:
Yeah, they are called ds games.

In all honestly, does anyone really want to go back to low poly, jaggies everywhere type of graphics?
I want my prerendered painting looking backgrounds back.

Wray

I dont think so, because that era of games looked pretty ugly. At least 3d 32-Bit PS1 era games. I wouldnt say that nearly as much about 3d PS2 era games.

I never understand how people gaming in the late 90's were able to tolerate the ugly ass games of that era. It's not that those games have "aged" bad. They were ugly to begin with. When people were fapping over the "graphics" in FF7 and other 3d games of that era, I was pining and bemoaning the loss of the awesomeness that was 2d 16-bit.

the art style not the same as 8-bit 16-bit it harder to do 32 64 style when they are more or less the same as games today how they play just looking better now

Love of god some one make a rpg like ff9 in HD

Ff9_screenshot_fieldicon1.png

Platy

-PXG- said:
Personally, I feel gaming needs it's own Renaissance. My brother, who isn't a gamer (but grew up playing Atari, NES and all of that stuff) has said for years that the logical step is to go backwards, and to rediscover what made gaming so great in the first place.

That's the main reason why Nintendo EAD is the best programing team EVER

...that and
NQ4Ha.jpg

, of course

nli10

There are lots of games like the generation you call 32 bit on XBLA - there are a could of FPS that are right out of that era in particular.

THing is if you have a budget it's pretty easy to make it to PS2 level or above so they tend to.

Remakes are going to happen for that generation as the people who played them as kids get to positions of power in game companies. It's an ever growing spiral - I expect 3makes of the original Pokemon RBG/FireRedLeafGreen games on 3DS for example.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
jump_button said:
the art style not the same as 8-bit 16-bit it harder to do 32 64 style when they are more or less the same as games today how they play just looking better now

Is it sad that outside of resolution, I still think Final Fantasy 9 is the best looking game Square has ever made?

I came into this thread to hate on it really, but I've changed my mind - I actually love games with "simplistic" styles, what I really hate is the blur filters and the framerates from that era.

_Bro

Banned
Yeah, you should really look into the indie scene.

Especially those "Make a game in one month" things. Here is one that has me all excited

2l8zxja.jpg

rk786c.jpg

se6mw0.jpg

ehj4n4.jpg

Nuclear Muffin said:
I want a new Banjo Kazooie game with the same level of visuals as the N64 games. The game just looks right with N64 graphics!

The 64 is my favourite console and i love both banjo games, i also hate playing the nostalgia card. I just can't agree with that.

Banjo looks absolutely fantastic on the 360. If you had played a banjo platformer with graphics like the on the 360 version and then saw the seqeul with graphics like the 64 version there is no way you would think it was better.

I'll agree that there is a certain charm to banjos graphics (and many old games) but in banjos specific case i think you can keep that charm without resorting to going back to 64 level graphics.

The thing about 8-bit is there is nothing inherently wrong or distracting about it. It's an appealing art-style that came with no real problems. The only notable issue that arose was whenever a developer tried to venture into '3D' perspectives or just bite off more than they could chew, which is something 8-bit simply wasn't up to at the time.

With the 32/64 bit era though, games were dogged by low resolution textures, low polygon geometry, slowdown and constantly low framerates, fog and other issues detrimental to the presentation. Thankfully I'm not a graphics whore and can still appreciate the quality of these games today, but it's absolutely an issue nonetheless.

8-bit throwback games appeal with a distinct and aesthetically pleasing presentation. The 32/64 era's is most definitely distinct, but it's not nearly as nice on the eye.

WillyFive

Anth0ny said:
I'd jizz all over my nostalgia colored underpants if they made a Banjo Threeie in N64 style graphics.

Nuclear Muffin said:
I want a new Banjo Kazooie game with the same level of visuals as the N64 games. The game just looks right with N64 graphics!

That would be awesome.

Considering people like to complain about Rare's 90's art designs and then complain about how bad Nuts and Bolt's design was, I think this would be a way to completely skip the issue altogether.

Despera

Banned
Gravijah said:
I love the PS1 look so much. :(
Only game that benefited from the PS1 look is Silent Hill. Even the low quality sound added to the experience.

I believe it's part of the reason a lot of people think it's the scariest game of all time.

MisterHero

Lowpoly modeling hasn't left entirely. Textures, lighting, and the various ways models can interact (animation, physics, etc.) have improved though.

In fact as draw-distance capabilities improve and we have far-off, low-res poly/textured versions of models to save graphics power, and as many current-gen games can't strive to go above 30 fps, it's like 16- and 32- graphics development never left at all (it's just in places you don't see very up close). ;p

As far as games with the aesthetic goes, I think Mega Man Legends 3DS might re-capture the PS1/N64 look of Legends 1/2.

_Alkaline_ said:
The thing about 8-bit is there is nothing inherently wrong or distracting about it. It's an appealing art-style that came with no real problems. The only notable issue that arose was whenever a developer tried to venture into '3D' perspectives or just bite off more than they could chew, which is something 8-bit simply wasn't up to at the time.
Yes there was stuff wrong with 8-bit. There was things like flickering, tearing and slowdown. I think Mega Man 9 even allows you to simulate such an experience.

Zophar

MisterHero said:
Lowpoly modeling hasn't left entirely. Textures, lighting, and the various ways models can interact (animation, physics, etc.) have improved though.

In fact as draw-distance capabilities improve and we have far-off, low-res poly/textured versions of models to save graphics power, and as many current-gen games can't strive to go above 30 fps, it's like 16- and 32- graphics development never left at all (it's just in places you don't see very up close). ;p

I tend to look back on the 32/64-bit generation as an interim generation, that is to say a time when developers were adjusting to new desires in video games, most notably polygonal graphics and CD storage capacity. I think the current generation is also an "interim" one, where developers are adjusting to the new desires for High Definition, motion control, online modes for everything, and now stereoscopic gaming. From my memory the PS2 generation was far less unevenly developed than the one before or following it and I expect the next one will be similar.

Anth0ny said:
I'd jizz all over my nostalgia colored underpants if they made a Banjo Threeie in N64 style graphics.

3D N64 games are so ugly that they almost circle back around to being beautifully abstract.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
bengraven said:
minecraft.jpg

Minecraft screams mid-90s graphics.

I believe that was the intention.
No, I believe it really was just programmers graphics until they turned out to be really popular.

GDGF

Soothsayer
If someone could reproduce what we see in our nostalgia clouded heads, rather than what 32 and 64 bit games looked like for the most part, then yeah it would probably be pretty successful.

cj_iwakura

Despera said:
Only game that benefited from the PS1 look is Silent Hill. Even the low quality sound added to the experience.

I believe it's part of the reason a lot of people think it's the scariest game of all time.

It fit Persona really well.

All three of them.

jump_button said:

Fuckity THIS!

StarEye said:
Is it sad that outside of resolution, I still think Final Fantasy 9 is the best looking game Square has ever made?

You are totally right.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
ds troll forestalled by people actually liking ds 3d

i dunno -- i'm fond of that era of gaming, and i can appreciate the graphics for what they are, but i have a hard time seeing them as a style the way nesesque pixel art is a style. flat shaded polys have a retrofuturistic charm, though, would definitely like to see more games using those

Haunted

drohne said:
i dunno -- i'm fond of that era of gaming, and i can appreciate the graphics for what they are, but i have a hard time seeing them as a style the way nesesque pixel art is a style. flat shaded polys have a retrofuturistic charm, though, would definitely like to see more games using those
Can't help but agree.

Still, I could see something like this become more prevalent in 10 years or so, when we have a whole generation of game designers and developers that have come up with the Playstation or the N64 as their first console.

Gattsu25

Banned
From a purely aesthetic perspective: The 32/64 era of gaming is alive and well on iOS. Unfortunately, in most cases with substantially less content and significantly worse gameplay

DangerStepp said:
I agree. Resident Evil 2's backgrounds gave that game such an atmosphere. Are there any modern games that use pre-rendered backgrounds anymore at all?
Resonance of Fate on Xbox 360/PS3 does.

Matt_C

I would so dig a 1080p Panzer Dragoon Zwei or a modern Quake World running in today's computing/gaming platforms. As in turn off the bloom and just see what would happen for yesterday's 3dfx-based graphics running on modern GPU crunchers!

Bring on Starblade, Cyber Sled, Virtual On: Operation Moongate, or someone out there make Windows 98 drivers to run on modern hardware ;)

Or if Nintendo has the cajones to do Virtual Console 2 on NewGenerationNintendo by actually speeding up N64 and GC/Wii games like modern PCs. Or please sell me a Retrode since I am working again!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It would be really interesting to see more developers attempt to make 8, 16, 32 and even 64 bit games, with more focus on the game play and story, instead of visual gimmicks and other features that have nothing to do with gaming itself. But that won't happen. There's no money to be made in it :/ Fuck...
I think you are wearing some powerful rose tinted glasses here. There is still a huge focus on gameplay and there are tons of games doing it. To suggest that the focus of modern games is only on visuals makes it seem as if you haven't been paying attention.

Thanks to digital downloads, we have actually seen the rebirth of retro gameplay in addition to the large blockbusters. It's a great time for gaming right now.

Resonance of Fate on Xbox 360/PS3 does.
Uhh, where? Everything I've seen of the game was real time.

It does? Where?
dark10x said:
Uhh, where? Everything I've seen of the game was real time.
I haven't actually played the game yet, but I thought it used pre-rendered backgrounds for the cities.

EDIT: After looking at some images I must say that some backgrounds have to be pre-rendered.

Aren't there some pre-rendered backgrounds in the latest Naruto?

Lijik

gimmmick said:
This sounds like the same argument thrown to any graphical throwback game, and the answer is the same too.
All the time? No. Every once in a while and in a well done manner? Sure.

I found this in the thread dementia linked to. I think it looks stylish as fuck, and would love to play a game that looked like this (theres probably something like it on the DS):
tumblr_lg248yfGC41qejutxo1_400.gif

I think that VF1 ps2 remake looks great too.

Top Bottom