• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we be able to play Shadow of Colossus with higher Frame Rate on PS3?

jko

That game, as good as it is, is plagued by the atrociously low frame rate on the PS2.
Now, we know that the PS2 BC on the PS3 is 'hardwired', does that mean we'll never get to see/play these games in higher frame rate??

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
If it's like the 360, the frame rate will be lower :lol

Seriously, though, I don't think they can magically improve the frame rate. You'll still have to suffer =\

quetz67

Banned
Danthrax said:
If it's like the 360, the frame rate will be lower :lol

Seriously, though, I don't think they can magically improve the frame rate. You'll still have to suffer =\
what has magic to to with it?

Wollan

Only the first waves of PS3s will have actual PS2 hardware.
When they get the emulation up and running to the desired quality, it will be included in the new PS3s(or downloadable for us with the first wave machines if it has emulation improvements).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think they are emulating, so I don't know if you can speed stuff up.

Vexidus

The next team ICO game on ps3 could be the only thing that makes me buy a PS3, having Sotc run a little smoother on it would be quite a bonus

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
jko said:
That game, as good as it is, is plagued by the atrociously low frame rate on the PS2.

I wouldn't consider it atrocious. It never once impaired gameplay and I only noticed it in retrospect after playing it for seven hours. I think it's a bigger deal the game looks like ass on a non-SDTV.

jko

Vexidus said:
The next team ICO game on ps3 could be the only thing that makes me buy a PS3, having Sotc run a little smoother on it would be quite a bonus

QTF.
My PS2 has been covered with dust ever since ICO/SoC...heck, I practically bought the PS2 for these 2 games. Good thing DQ8 came along, that's a good one too :)

Raistlin

Since at least the initial PS3's will include PS2 HW, the question becomes - is it going to be standard HW, or one at a higher freq? If it costs nothing to increase the freq at this time, then maybe we'll see improvements.

Also, we don't really know what interaction the PS3 HW will have with it. Higher resolutions are known to be available, but that may simply be the PS3 acting as a scaler - who knows if anything else can be done?

For most PS2 games, the limiting factor was the GS; the EE could actually set up more polys than the GS could render. With that in mind, using the RSX for part of the rendering would probably help with framerates in a lot of cases. The problem is, the RSX does not have the BW that the GS w/embedded RAM did - so that my not be feasable.

jko

Phobophile said:
I wouldn't consider it atrocious. It never once impaired gameplay and I only noticed it in retrospect after playing it for seven hours. I think it's a bigger deal the game looks like ass on a non-SDTV.

hmmm...maybe it's just me? cuz when i battle the colossus(es), the low framerate cause the animation to be all choppy....makes me dizzy!

Amir0x

Banned
guys they'll be releasing Shadow of the Colossus PS3 edition. It'll be 720p, widescreen and have a framerate at a constant 60fps. Best launch ever!

jko

Amir0x said:
guys they'll be releasing Shadow of the Colossus PS3 edition. It'll be 720p, widescreen and have a framerate at a constant 60fps. Best launch ever!

are you seriuos?? dont do this to me im gullible! :lol

Mau ®

It would be awesome if Sony released a Directors Cut Edition of SOTC for PS3. It could have Colossi that didn't make the cut, improved framerate and graphics (it would probably be the prettiest PS3 game at launch :lol )

Wishful thinking though...

black_13

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Would people really be interested in stuff like that? 1080p/720p 60fps revisions of PS2 games on the PS3?
In SotC's case, yes a 60 fps/720p version would get my money any day as it really affected the gameplay and the game is holy.

And let's face it, nobody's going to be able to play TEAM ICO's next game for at least 2 years after the PS3 launch.

Duderz

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Would people really be interested in stuff like that? 1080p/720p 60fps revisions of PS2 games on the PS3?

Depends on the price (no more than $20), and the game. (Only MGS3 and Shadow + Ico for me....and VP:2 if it really needs it.)

SolidSnakex said:
I don't know if I'd buy tons of them, but why not? Not much different than Criterion Collection versions of movies. Of course, it would be a lot more tempting if they actually took the time and effort to do developer interviews and features as well.

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:

I would be very interested in a 60fps version of SotC with decent image quality.

Duderz said:
Depends on the price (no more than $20), and the game. (Only MGS3 and Shadow + Ico for me....and VP:2 if it really needs it.)

I'd think the cost would be around 30. 10 dollars more than a GH edition and they can throw in some extras. Like behind the scenes or in the case of something like MGS3, dual voice tracks.

MutFox

Banned
Would be sweet as a a bonus to get ICO and SOTC on the same disc for their next game.
A blu-ray disc should have more than enough space for that, unless they use all that space.
(Which is unlikely IMO.)

Razoric

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

**** yes. I'd buy SotC again for PS3. That game was a freakin masterpiece. Maybe they could add a few monsters though. :D

jko

inthezone said:
It would be awesome if Sony released a Directors Cut Edition of SOTC for PS3. It could have Colossi that didn't make the cut, improved framerate and graphics (it would probably be the prettiest PS3 game at launch :lol )

Wishful thinking though...

that would be swell. :)

Thrown out colossus from SoTC

discarded012jf.jpg

discarded139gh.jpg

discarded251gj.jpg

discarded287fz.jpg

Superbone

Phobophile said:

Buy some component cables for your PS2. Doesn't look bad at all on my Sony 60" HD LCD rear projection TV.

Vexidus

It would be hard to just add bonus colossi to the main game I would imagine, since the 16 idol statues kinda go with the story

I'd love to see some new ones though in some form, maybe unlockables through a menu like in God of War

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i'd like to see better framerates for games rather than higher resolutions. but both would be gravy if they delivered it

Top Bottom