• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see a new console from any other than the big three?

Mr Hyde

For a good couple of years now we´ve had an established order where Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony are sharing the video game console market. During these years no one has made an attempt at entering this space and it doesn´t seem that anyone will either. Microsoft was the last major player to shake things up when they announced Xbox back in 2000 but since then it has been pretty much status quo in the video game market when it comes to consoles.

What do you think? Is there room for more contenders or will it be too crowded? The risk of oversaturation is big if there are more fish in the sea, but at the same time it would be fun to see if another company would try their wings in the console market. Is there a possibility that anyone out there that can disrupt the holy trinity?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I can see either Amazon, Google or Apple joining the game, especially if subscription services like PS Now and Game Pass grow in popularity. Why I think that? This could be a massive source of income. See how all those jumped to the video streaming services thanks to the success of Netflix.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I can’t see amazon google and Apple doing it oddly... I don’t know why.... it may be because they are full of adverts and micro transactions, that it’s really all I think about with them...

But I was around when people were like “sega will never drop out”. I was even around when Atari and the NES were all “come at me bro”. So you know, stranger things have happened.

As much as I love Nintendo... and believe me I do, owning all their consoles and handhelds still... n wouldn’t mind them to drop out. Nintendo to me has always been about games. I own Nintendo consoles to play their Nintendo games. So, to give Nintendo the power of let’s say an X, or next gen... that makes me excited :) To think what Nintendo could do without having to lower their power levels would be insane. I mean look at how their games run/play/look on Switch, now imagine if they have next gen power... yes please.

But as long as there is competition in the market, that’s all I care about really. Nobody wants a one-console-market. Christ imagine if it was Sony... *shudders*

Texas Pride

Banned
It's only a matter of time before Amazon or Google jump in to the console space in my opinion. I wish it wasn't the case but I think Amazon is closer to doing it than Google right now.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
You just wait and see the Atari VCS dominate the 9th generation of gaming. It'll reach heights we've never even dreamed of.

I don't expect Amazon to enter the console world beyond their Fire TV microconsoles. They've already got a PC gaming client (Twitch), would expect them to focus more on that. Kind of surprised they don't have a gaming PC brand though. But, I suppose a genuine console's possible, especially as Amazon seemingly wants to be attached to everything we do. They'd also be able to cease selling, or lower the visibility of competing hardware, as they do.
Really don't see Apple and Google going for anything but microconsoles in the living space. Google's got Project Stream (if they don't trash it), they'll probably sell Stream Sticks or something, maybe get SmartTVs to include it. That's one way to compete against the console market.

But really, I don't think a lot of people would be very welcoming if these companies tried to go big in the gaming industry. They'd probably go the way of FireOS and Google Glass. I bet if we get a console without a lot of kickback, it'll come from either an established gaming company, or a primarily hardware manufacturer like Samsung. But unless someone backs out of the console market, there might not be much space for them.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I believe Amazon will definitely come in the game with what someone mentioned above "more streaming orientated". As gaming becomes more accessible via streaming the big corps will surely add games or console like hardware to their services.

Last edited:

El_Belmondo

I think we will, someone will dare sooner or later. We also though that no one will ever try and then Microsoft entered the landscape, and prior to that we had the 3DO, and Atari was the 4th competitor for a while, NEC too.

Vawn

Banned
One of two ways I see. Like others said, Amazon, Google or someone who focuses on streaming exclusively. Or the exact opposite. Both MS and Sony eventually embrace streaming, etc and a new company comes to being back "traditional" disc/cartridge gaming back.

Then Sir, have you heard anything about 'Dreamcast 2'? As I recall, Dreamcast was the last SEGA console, before the company dropped out of video console marketing.
Nope.

I just assume we will see at least one company jump in.

With at least a streaming only console. Or another steam box type

Ovek

7Member7
If Project Stream works out for Google they might release a small cheap streaming box that comes with a controller (which might be project Yeti). Can't imagine them developing a full on dedicated hardware box like a PS4.

What? Dreamcast 2 is right around the corner. I’m sure of it!

The Dreamcast 2 was the original Xbox.

Well OP the issue is that thread isn't asking the right question, Africa and Asia have local game consoles. The real question is why there aren't any new "INTERNATIONAL" entrants in the gaming market and that's a simple question to answer.

Due to regulations, guidelines and other issues, the amount of money one company would have to spend just to have decent stock internationally would be much more than what it would take an American or Japanese company to do. In this case, most countries are rigged out of the race.

So that only leads some companies in a select part of Europe, America, and Japan (though the barrier is rising up there) that could even put out an international console without as much of an issue, relatively. However, even these countries aren't putting out new consoles, why? Because gaming got too big, complicated, and expensive.

What do I mean by "too big"? Well, simply that Sony, MS, and Nintendo expanded their platforms during the Xbox/PS2 rise and that continued with the 360/PS3 and the current consoles now. A company would literally have to crate a new platform, start from scratch and spend a ton of money on an outreach campaign to even have HALF the infrastructure in place to be a success. Margins are already low on gaming consoles as is, so that would be a disaster.

One of the 3 would have to mess up sooo bad, that a competitor could grab victory from their ashes. Or drop out. Even then they would still have to spend tons of money catching up with the software support and infrastructure.

Gaming as of now, is locked to these 3 unless a bigger company wants to lose massive amounts of money they will never get back. Companies aren't willing to write-off high millions to low billions of dollars just to enter, let alone spend more money to be competitive.

When the Xbox original lost billions of dollars the signs were already there this industry was a done deal. Android consoles tried to find a niche to penetrate on the side but that ended up not being viable.

Back in the day a competitor could come out with a new idea, get some software support, offer a unique service (or games), or graphical process, and be able to start building infrastructure and retail support quickly. Make deals with third-parties, able to get some exclusives by default, spend a bit if they wanted to grab more, able to have a decent relationship with retailers without things costing too much, manufacturing was cheaper, etc. Console specific features weren't overly expensive to maintain, etc.

Now half of that costs an insane amount of money, and profit margins are smaller than ever. Console feature and online infrastructure costs way too much, Third-party deals cost way too much retailer contracts coast way too much. Translation and distribution along with marketing costs way too much. Game and hardware development costs way too much. Etc. etc.

This is why people saying "Apple, Google or Amazon are entering the industry" don't make sense, they aren't going to traditionally compete they are going to enter to set the stage for the destruction of the traditional console model and hope to take a slice of the pie decades from now when everyone has streaming boxes. Unless you think those companies want to lose a crap ton of money they likely won't make back and have some financiall damage done to their bottom line.

The fact is, unless one of the three gets brought out buy another company, or someone is crazy enough to enter losing money they won't get back, the next time their are "new competitors" in the industry will be when traditional consoles are dead 50 years from now and everyone has streaming boxes. No ones going to try coming in as a 4th party to enter the industry, this was a big issues last gen, now it's even more of an issue.

So unfortunately the days of competition are basically over.

Last edited:
Looking back over the history of the console space, I think there is potential for another major player if certain conditions appear.

PlayStation and Xbox were both nothing brands on day one. Even Nintendo and Sega were new at one point. All of them gained traction in part because of the fuck-ups of the market leaders at the time.

Basically, they all have a chance of fucking it all up, and with several large companies having the capital to make an entrance, it's not impossible. Starting up a console for Amazon would be a drop in the bucket, they have servers, they could snipe engineers and programmers, and multi-plat makers would line up to release games on a platform as far reaching as Amazon itself. I don't think this is necessarily what will happen, but it's not uncommon for newcomers to make it.

Just look at the auto industry, in the 1980s Hyundai was a laughing stock. They made cars so bad they were famous for it. Hyundai Heavy Industries was one of the largest ship builders and industrial equipment manufactures in the world, so they had money to weather the storm. Fast forward and they are now bigger than Ford or Chrysler. All it took was a series of fuck-ups and both tumbled down, making room for someone new. Amazon is in that position, they have a massive customer base as an online retailer, they have money, and they have an massive server network. I'd love to see another player in the space, especially if they are pro-cross play and play anywhere with PC and portable devices.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

It was only yesterday I was watching on YouTube a show that talked about Konami were once looking to get into the home-console scene only to throw in the towel once news dropped that Sony were coming in with their PSX...back then you had nearly everyone trying to muscle in on the console hardware scene from Panasonic to Apple with their Pippin...

EV4D

Neo Member
No new console players likely, since the whole concept of consoles is likely to go the way of the iPod in the future.

Looking back over the history of the console space, I think there is potential for another major player if certain conditions appear.

PlayStation and Xbox were both nothing brands on day one. Even Nintendo and Sega were new at one point. All of them gained traction in part because of the fuck-ups of the market leaders at the time.

Nintendo wasn't new in Japan so they had a good chunk of money to come to America with, Nec was a massive big company at the TIME of tg TG16, Sega's genesis took off by , for awhile, and then their mistakes and lack of a back-up killed them. Xbox and SOny where billion dollar companies. 3DO was formed by million dollar company investment, Phillips was a billion dollar company, Apple was a multi-million dollar company (in the pippin days), Commodore (C64gs, CDTV, CD32) was a big brand multi-million dollar company.

If you wanted enter in the industry without being a large company that would take the risk of sacrificing tons of cash you had to do it in the early 90's at the latest under certain conditions. By the time the Xbox original was replace by the 360 in 2005 the requirement went up sky high.

Also Hyundai isn't that big, as of 2017 it was barely ahead of Chevy let alone all of GM.

caffeware

Banned
when making a list of the big players, dont forget ouya's industry disrupting success.
if only ouya us and ouya japan had gotten along...

Nintendo wasn't new in Japan so they had a good chunk of money to come to America with, Nec was a massive big company at the TIME of tg TG16, Sega's genesis took off by , for awhile, and then their mistakes and lack of a back-up killed them. Xbox and SOny where billion dollar companies. 3DO was formed by million dollar company investment, Phillips was a billion dollar company, Apple was a multi-million dollar company (in the pippin days), Commodore (C64gs, CDTV, CD32) was a big brand multi-million dollar company.

If you wanted enter in the industry >>>without being a large company that would take the risk of sacrificing tons of cash<<< you had to do it in the early 90's at the latest under certain conditions. By the time the Xbox original was replace by the 360 in 2005 the requirement went up sky high.

Also Hyundai isn't that big, as of 2017 it was barely ahead of Chevy let alone all of GM.

Not sure if you're arguing my point or supporting it. My entire point is that there are large companies with enough capital to risk an entry into the market under the right conditions, which I listed. Amazon has capital, infrastructure, and an already powerful name backing it, so they certainly have the ability to break into the market if they so choose. They are in fact in a similar position as Microsoft was when the Xbox was released. Money, branding, and infrastructure.

Also Hyundai is bigger than you seem to realise, they were above GM worldwide in 2016. Considering they don't sell a pickup truck in the US market, that's pretty impressive for a car company that didn't start exporting cars until the mid-80s.

cdthree

I think Amazon will rebrand their Amazon Fire TV line as a cheap gaming console and market it that way. Games offered thru Prime, of course. Probably they are waiting to see how their new games do before going whole hog. Their supposedly taking a shot at another phone so they don't strike me as the type to give up. Google probably could go the same way with a cheap Android box. Although I really think they'll end up going big with Nintendo somehow, eventually. Whether thru their partnership with Google, and Niantic, or cloud based services? I think eventually their biggest competitors will come from South Korea, or China. Companies like Samsung, Tencent or others like that. Tencent I could see buying one or two of the big publishers.

Banned
I've had a great experience with Google's Project Stream. I think they're definitely onto something.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Sega would still do better than the Xbox in Japan.

Killer751

Banned
I hope so.

Apple would be an IDEAL replacement for Nintendo. I think Google or Amazon could work wonders too.

But I do suspect we'll see the end of consoles before that happens.

Well, the Amico is coming out in 2020

Other than the physical console looking kinda bad and a terrible logo I would probably buy this in a heartbeat, as long as the games look good. Intellivision was the first console I ever played and I have too much nostalgia built up to be able to resist.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Today? No. Probably do just as well. They blew their chance when they cut the Saturn early.
I highly doubt they would be in the 100's like you usually see in the Media Create sales figures. Microsoft has no place in Japan like it or not.

I highly doubt they would be in the 100's like you usually see in the Media Create sales figures. Microsoft has no place in Japan like it or not.

Uh, yes they would. Remember MS didn't START in the 100's. I know you think Sega being a japanese company somehow would net them consistently decent sales even in the low in (at least relative to the Xbox One) but that's just not the case Segas consoles always flopped in Japan outside the Saturn and Microsoft has no interest throwing money down he drain to do so to get a higher sales number but no progress or money to show for it like Sega did either. They cut the Saturn arly and dwindled support for the Dreamcast, that was it. A good chunk of Sega's franchises don't even sell that well there and the ones that do are because over time those franchise became associated with PlayStation (or a nintendo handheld) so those wouldn't really help them by being exclusives, especially if they don't have any other big franchises there, which they don't.

Sega's biggest, and only break out hit when it was making consoles, in Japan, was Virtua Fighter, and the cut of the Saturn also basically killed that franchises relevance and reach. Along with the rise of Tekken. Heck, Virtua Fighter 2 on the Sat is still Segas best selling game over there with over 1.4 million sold. In fact, It is one of the only TWO games that sold over 1 million units in Japan published or developed by Sega. Sega is already not in the best shape now, you think they have enough to have a console move much better than MS? ha.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Someone could outplay the big 3 with two AAA games a year, that’s the perennial game charger for a console distribution company right? I think if SEGA didn’t torch themselves they’d still be shitting out games that gamers like. Where are they now? 2K, Indie market, both top 5 in sales. SEGA could’ve done it with 2K alone.

I doubt anytime soon, but you never know. Maybe Apple or Google would step into the gaming industry with a streaming or all digital device. If it doesn’t bring something unique to the industry or it’s own special exclusive games, imho it would be pointless since Xbox Two and PS5 will most likely be near almost identical to each other next generation in software and even features. I’m already thinking IF I just into next generation, what’s the point in procuring both consoles?

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I saw potential in the Apple TV 4K, an A10X with active cooling is a lot of power already, if they made that an A12X with the same active cooling...

But they seem to not take seriously it's potential as a microconsole. I'd love it if they courted a few more devs for exclusives that really pushed it, with all that money they're spending on TV shows for their platform anyways.

Top Bottom