• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windjammers coming out for PS4 and Vita

Haines

Banned
Game always looked cool on gb and me and the wifey would enjoy it.

Gimme it for less than a tenner and we have a deal

I'm happy that I'll get to see more windjammers content from GB. Looking forward to hear what Dave Lang thinks on GB's next e3 stream.

I don't watch any of Giant Bomb's content so I didn't expect this to be as "popular" as it is. Me and a few mates played this for hours a couple of years back as part of a gaming night after a few drinks and had an absolute blast. Had to stop due to crying with laughter after a while. Wasn't sure if it was intentionally funny or if we had just drunk too much but I've got fond memories of that game. We'll have to revisit it with this version next year.

Jubern

Lots of hate for dotEmu itt. Is it because of the Neogeo Humble Bundle?
I played some of their other ports and always found them alright.

There was a big FB post by the (surprisingly very active) Windjammers French community, about how supposedly they were involved in the effort, dotEmu being big fans themselves and everyone involved doing the absolute maximum to work this out in the best possible conditions.

Hope it turns out good!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
What's the problem with the port being handled by dotEmu? Don't know much about them.

The French love it.

Based on my experience with Fightcade.

Can confirm. I used to be a member of pretty much the biggest Windjammers community out there before I just stopped hanging out out of boredom, and it's a French community. They play the game religiously on Fightcade, and they lobbied heavily for it to be represented at Stunfest, France's biggest fighting game tournament... And they actually did it lol.

I remember reading the reviews in French magazines back in the day. To this day I still remember the game being rated in the 70% (I wanna say 73 or 76% in Banzzaï), yet for some reason it fascinated me. When I finally got to play it on MAME 20 years later.... Man, what a revelation. Truly an arcade classic.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe there's hope for Jaseiken Necromancer!

It's frisbee pong with super moves. The music is good, the animations are good, the sound fx are good, the controls are good, it's all good. There's a lot of strategy involved, lots of mind games, with a pretty big move set to work with. It's super fast and easy to pick up and play. Perfect arcade game.

Well shit now I'm hyped

Apparently DotEmu ported a bunch of Final Fantasy games to Windows recently (like Final Fantasy III and IV). How are these ports? What's DotEmu's trackrecord?

Mass One

I played it at psx, I thought it was fine. The controls felt responsive. And they added this hyper 80s aesthetic to the UI. I didnt know Dotemu had A dubious Record. But it Looked promising From What I Played

Put me in the camp of "huh, dotemu?"

I thought Code Mystics had it in the bag for handling SNK ports on PlayStatiom consoles. Wonder why they didn't get this one.

They still did Garou right? And are handling Banner Saga. Maybe theyve just moved on to another fighting game like Samurai Shodown V Special or something.

Still, have no experience with dotemu so I'll give them a chance.

Put me in the camp of "huh, dotemu?"

I thought Code Mystics had it in the bag for handling SNK ports on PlayStatiom consoles. Wonder why they didn't get this one.

Technically, while it is a Neo Geo game, it's not owned by SNK. Code Mystics has been handling the recent first party Neo Geo ports, so I guess they wouldn't have a deal in place with whoever holds Windjammers' rights.

Pic no longer relevant?

1Tmy7Kb.jpg

PSFrIz0.jpg

tamminen

Please tell me it works with Hori RAP4, that would be awesome. My Horis been collecting dust and waiting for an opportunity like this!

This is definitely one of those white whale games for me.

I am excited to finally experience the joy that Jeff and company at Giant Bomb seem to have when playing this game. The idea of it "feeling so, so good" has been something I've thought a lot about.

Loona

Does this version use the English S. Miller or the Korean B. Yoo?

Anyway, glad to see this being made available on a modern system.

I never visit GB but if they had anything to do with this, then thank you.

I played the shit out of Windjammers in the arcades as a kid. This is a really compelling reason to get another PS4 for me.

linko9

Does this version use the English S. Miller or the Korean B. Yoo?

Anyway, glad to see this being made available on a modern system.

S miller shown in the trailer. Hoping for a setting to allow B. Yoo, always preferred him.

fronn

Yesss!

Windjammers is one of the reasons I have an MVS board (an Omega) hooked up (Garou was another reason, unsurprisingly).

I just need RBFFS now and if they'd just go ahead and port KOF98UM and KOF2002UM, that'd be pretty swell. Maybe something like Neo Turf Masters would be nice as well?

I love Windjammers. Used to play it all the time in the arcade. I didn't realize there was a lot of love for the game in certain gaming communities such as giantbomb. I always thought it was overlooked as there was never much discussion about it when talking about SNK games. Can't wait to play it on PS4. G Scott is my guy.

Top Bottom