• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Window AC Units = Bugs on Bugs on Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mully

4 crickets just crawled into my room through my ac that was on energy saver. I can't fall asleep. Should I set my room on fire?

Yeah I got a shit ton of stink bugs in my house because of a window AC unit. It sucked. Still see some now and then in the house, even though last summer and this summer I decided to tough it out without one, they're permenant house guests now.

Az987

all good things
I have a window AC. You know those little sticky rollers you use to get animal hair off your clothes? I took a few single sheets off of those and put it over the vent when I'm not using it. Its worked pretty good so far this year but obviously you can't have it on when you're using it.

Mully

JUST SHUT UP AND GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HAIR. FUCK YOU VIOLIN LEGGING PIECES OF SHIT. I HOPE A FUCKING PREYING MANTIS COMES THROUGH MY FRONT TO FUCK ALL Y'ALL.

9Xavd.jpg

This?

Mully

They seemed to have retreated after turning on the lights, putting on sweatpants (I'm scared they'll get into one of my pubic orifices), and blasting the AC.

FREEZE FUCKERS, FREEZE.

DiscoJer

Get a portable AC unit and shut your window. Problem solved.

Don't you still need to vent those through a window?

I think the real solution is to not use energy saver mode. I mean, you're not saving much energy, it just turns off the fan when it's not cooling. How much energy does it take to run a fan? Not a lot. It's when the compressor is on that it sucks energy.

Cloudy

Banned
I have one of those and bugs have never been an issue. Are you using it in the correct kind of window? Did you use the insulation foam and strips?

Make sure the window and weatherstripping make a good seal around the A/C and its accordian fins, and open the case to put screen material over the outside vents.

Pecan1

Banned
Hows that happen arent there covers over the sides and stuff? Like isnt the window sealed to the a/c unit?

Whats going on here

But crickets are adorable. I love playing with them, they're harmless.

Never really had any bugs come in through the window AC unit, we tape up the sides and stuff. Freaking mosquitoes coming in through the screen window covers though.... Argh.

neocoder

Banned
As others mentioned, check the sides of your AC to make sure there are no cracks for bugs to come in. It's my understanding that air conditioner units are essentially sealed. The idea is to take the room air in, cool it, and then put it back into the room. There is no way for outside air to get into the unit except around the perimeter of the unit.

J-Roderton

I used to feed my pet lizard crickets. Occasionally I would get some full grown crickets and they would make noise all fucking night in the tank if they weren't eaten. I know your pain.

sangreal

really? I don't think any bugs come in through my AC

I do poison the area outside quite a bit though. I don't think a cricket could even fit through the fins. Is this an old AC?

BHK3

Banned
Kill one of them and leave it out in the open where the others can see it, that should be a strong enough message.

Humans have done it as well, with heads being stuck on pikes to ward off invaders.

I do it to any centipedes that dare enters my sight, I squish them then leave them downstairs where the others crawl around most likely, I rarely see them now.

Lamel

Banned
Yeah. so many ladybugs crawl through. at least they are harmless.

but you're fucked op. sell the house and move on.

aku:jiki

You know what sucks worse? Having your neighbors not do shit about their bed bugs so the little fuckers just stroll on over to your place too.

I've slept like 10 hours total the last 5 days. I can feel them crawling all over me. :(

sangreal

You know what sucks worse? Having your neighbors not do shit about their bed bugs so the little fuckers just stroll on over to your place too.

I've slept like 10 hours total the last 5 days. I can feel them crawling all over me. :(

Do you live in an apartment? If so, call the landlord and have both apartments exterminated.

If you live in a house... I don't think bed bugs travel far enough to really go between houses on their own (ie unless you go over there). Still call an exterminator.

Despite the horror stories, a good exterminator can actually eliminate bed bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom