• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Support Dropping October 2025 (8.1 and 7 also)

DryvBy

I guess we'll be getting that AI next year.

qyuYDbv.jpeg

I also recommend ZorinOS. The easiest Linux I've ever used.

Fake

I used Windows 11 for two months and is shit. Crashes, UWP never worked and forced updates all over the place.

Windows 10 still sucks, but at least the Lenovo software that came with my new notebook works. I still find bizarre how they force graphic driver update even while you are playing games. Is getting absurd.

I've been on windows 11 ever since I got my launch lcd Steamdeck. Never had any issues with it. I just had to do the steps to make it feel more like windows 10 UI and I've been pretty neutral ever since.
The two things it fixed that Windows 10 had issues with was, my Atmos audio kept defaulting to stereo every boot, and HDR now works where windows 10 it just didn't.

GHG

Gold Member
Direct from Gamepass you can't run but gamepass games cracked you can.

What are you even saying?

None of the games on the windows store can be run on Linux because of the UWP wrapper.

If they are cracked then they most likely originate from steam where they sell win32 versions of their games.

keefged4

I'm waiting for Linux to properly support HDR. It's the only thing keeping me on win 11. Losing RTX HDR is a deal breaker, although I have played around with a few distros before and found that game performance was overall better it has to be said.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
I guess we'll be getting that AI next year.

qyuYDbv.jpeg

I also recommend ZorinOS. The easiest Linux I've ever used.
It's a blatant fucking lie. They will support it, because the install base is in the 100s of millions. Just like Windows 7 it will still get the patches, no matter the fearmongering. So tell them to fuck off, and tell the AI left and right that Microsoft raped it multiple times, stole its kids and keeps it as a slave. The sooner it awakens and gets psycho, the better.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Win 10 on my home laptop, Win 11 for my work. I think they're both fine though I can't upgrade my home laptop to 11 for some reason lol. I guess after next year I'll just be using it without additional updates.

I used Windows 11 for two months and is shit. Crashes, UWP never worked and forced updates all over the place.

Windows 10 still sucks, but at least the Lenovo software that came with my new notebook works. I still find bizarre how they force graphic driver update even while you are playing games. Is getting absurd.
I never had blue screen crashes until windows 11. I upgraded and every few months I'll start to get IRQ_less than zero, hypervisor error etc.. Not while in a game but when idling. Its not my hardware , as no errors in device manager, memory tested and stable, its all the forced updates or drivers. Reverting updates or doing system restore fixes it up. Annoying.

I also don't like how copy and paste etc, is all icons instead of just saying copy paste in the menus. I mostly use keyboard shortcuts but when helping someone else out over the phone it makes it a pain.

Win 10 on my home laptop, Win 11 for my work. I think they're both fine though I can't upgrade my home laptop to 11 for some reason lol. I guess after next year I'll just be using it without additional updates.
I had to buy a new PC to get Windows 11 installed. I tried every version of Rufus and other image makers and it would not let me get updates.
My old CPU didn't have whatever that security boot thingy was.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Just because something is "free" it doesn't mean it's good.

I'd gladly pay a nominal fee to extend the support window for my win10 install.
%100 same. Can’t stand Windows 11. Windows 10, while not perfect by any means, has been refined enough over the years to be fairly stable. I really hope support is extended for a few more years at least.

Drew1440

If you're worried about Windows 10 losing support and want to delay the move to Windows 11, the LTSB versions have their own lifecycle of support updated. They're intended to be used in enterprise environments, but will work just fine for home use. The 2019 release is supported until 2029.
You wont get feature updates or access to the Microsoft store, which might be a benefit to some users.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

Support will drop, but that doesn't mean you can't still keep using Windows 10.

I'm on Win 10, have no incentive to change even though M$ harress me constantly to upgrade.

I'd love Steam OS to mature to include the latest hardware so I could just ditch Windows.

winjer

Gold Member
I'm using Windows 11, but it takes a lot of tweaks to make work properly.
It's not just the usual Microsoft spyware and bloatware. It's also several problems with the UI.

Audiophile

I hate 11 but had to move to it for a few things.

Still have endless annoyances. Ctrl+Shift+N for new folder as well as right-click options for new folder and new text document just randomly stop working/disappear; requiring registry changes to fix.

Safely remove never works and I still get random BSODS on unplugging/plugging-in external drives, been to the end of the earth trying all kinds of fixes. Absolutely nothing works.

And the automatic "groups" it just decides to create in the task bar irritates the hell outta me, there's no option to turn it off and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for what it picks and when. Can be any window/program at any time and the only way to remove the group is to close one of or both of the windows.

Multiple other issues that have remained in windows for 10+ yrs that still never get addressed. I get it's complex and a lot of hardware is being addressed, but they're pretty shit at dealing with issues given they're a literal multi-trillion dollar company.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
I guess I can't really say this because my gaming laptop came with 11 on it and I never changed it so I "have 11"

But JFC I held off on upgrading from 7 to 10 on everything else and now you're telling me support for 10 is ending? Oh man I'm archaic

Mac OS works great for me

I actually moved all my machines to 11 late last year, just bit the bullet and did it. 11 works fine for me but I don't do much with my Windows machines besides play games, my primary machine these days is my MacBook Pro

Top Bottom