• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Support Dropping October 2025 (8.1 and 7 also)

StereoVsn

Win11 isn’t bad but I have to strip stupid telemetry on every big update. It’s palatable on a gaming machine to an extent but f that for anything else.

Mac or Linux work fine for non gaming purposes and Linux is getting closer to being the main gaming rig every week. Well, if you don’t play a lot of MP.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Windows 11 is just Windows 10 with some minor visual changes and some pretty big security changes.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've been using Windows 11 Pro on almost all of my Windows machines for a couple of years now. It started off rough but it's a smooth experience for me now. The only one I haven't upgraded is my Plex server, but I'm thinking of just replacing that with a Linux mini PC or maybe a used Mac Mini.

I don't game on Windows 11 much right now but I haven't had any issues with it when I do. It's pretty much the same experience as Windows 10.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Win 10 on my home laptop, Win 11 for my work. I think they're both fine though I can't upgrade my home laptop to 11 for some reason lol. I guess after next year I'll just be using it without additional updates.
If you have a relatively new laptop (last 4 years) the issue is probably a bios setting. You need to turn on TPM setting then the PC can install Windows 11 (it required the trusted platform module to be active).

bitbydeath

Thing is, you need to include better features that make people WANT to upgrade. Microsoft just tries to shuffle people forward because it's good for them, not necessarily for the user. Businesses may not have a choice, but I sure as hell am not upgrading from 10 any time soon. Gaming on Linux is constantly improving, and I have a Mac for everything else.
With ARM taking off, gaming on MAC is going to become a whole lot bigger.

SiahWester

Cool. I'll be switching over to Linux for my primary uses. I've learned a ton thanks to my Steam Deck. I am so done with the spyware from these companies. Google included. Use alternatives. They are out there.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Win11 isn’t bad but I have to strip stupid telemetry on every big update. It’s palatable on a gaming machine to an extent but f that for anything else.

Mac or Linux work fine for non gaming purposes and Linux is getting closer to being the main gaming rig every week. Well, if you don’t play a lot of MP.
That's probably the most frustrating thing for me, too. I can turn off telemetry but they turn it back on with their big semi-yearly updates and they don't notify me when they do it. That's why I spend more time on my Mac for most of my personal stuff.

For my work projects Windows 11 works brilliantly. The built in Linux integration is smooth and convenient.

I've been using Windows 11 Pro on almost all of my Windows machines for a couple of years now. It started off rough but it's a smooth experience for me now. The only one I haven't upgraded is my Plex server, but I'm thinking of just replacing that with a Linux mini PC or maybe a used Mac Mini.

I don't game on Windows 11 much right now but I haven't had any issues with it when I do. It's pretty much the same experience as Windows 10.
I use unRAID as my Plex server. Solid as rock.

It blows my mind that my X99 based PC can't officially upgrade to Windows 11 yet my fathers $200 dollar laptop that struggles just watching videos on Youtube can.

No choice but to build a new computer once Microsoft drops security updates for Windows 10......or get a Mac and finally be rid of Microsoft.

With ARM taking off, gaming on MAC is going to become a whole lot bigger.
It's not, because Mac doesn't run Windows

It blows my mind that my X99 based PC can't officially upgrade to Windows 11 yet my fathers $200 dollar laptop that struggles just watching videos on Youtube can.

No choice but to build a new computer once Microsoft drops security updates for Windows 10......or get a Mac and finally be rid of Microsoft.
It's trivial to upgrade any machine with 4th Gen Core (Haswell) or newer to 11 unofficially and it works exactly the same as officially supported.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

It's not, because Mac doesn't run Windows
Won’t need to, games are currently coded for X86, when that switches to ARM it’s a free for all.

Windows ARM machines need an X86 emulator to run todays games.

Edit: I should add that they still get packaged differently but the largest barrier will be gone.

Last edited:

MikeM

Did my build and installed Windows 11 off the bat- no issues at all. I click games and they work 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, it depends on whether your motherboard has TPM which is "trusted Platform Modules". Your MB probably doesn't have that, but you can bypass it easily enough if you wanted to go down that path.

It was not, but recall is still a creepy invasion of privacy.
I can totally imagine a self-hosted server application that has a client that runs on any PC (Mac/Linux/windows) that can function the same way and help you "recall" anything you do on your PC. The functionality of recall is actually fucking amazing and exactly something I have wanted for years... but do I trust MS with any of my data, even though they'll swear up and down redmond that it stays local on my machine? HELL to the FUCK to the NO!

RickSanchez

I get the sense from this thread that im a complete casual when it comes to Windows usage. I have Windows 11 on my gaming rig, on which i only do gaming and some other media consumption. Nothing else. I have not run into any OS-specific problems so far, but that seems to be because my use-cases are limited. I still use use Winaero tweaker to correct some of the annoyances like disabling copilot, disabling telemetry, enabling the old win10 right-click menu, etc after which the experience is smooth, the same as win10. So i don't get what all the fuss is about.

Won’t need to, games are currently coded for X86, when that switches to ARM it’s a free for all.

Edit: I should add that they still get packaged differently but the largest barrier will be gone.
No because Apple doesn't use Direct3D or even OpenGL/Vulkan, they use their own Metal API and games not only need to run in x86 emulation they also need to translate Direct3D or OpenGL/Vulkan calls to Metal

The largest barrier isn't even the x86 emulation, that was solved long ago by Rosetta 2 and customizations Apple made to the Apple Silicon hardware. The largest barrier is translating to Metal, if you think this is easy then you have no idea how much of a pain in the ass it has been to make Steam Deck's Proton translation layer that translates Direct3D calls to OpenGL/Vulkan in Linux, even today there are many games Steam Deck simply doesn't work with and there is still a significant performance penalty for the translation

Soodanim

I swear to fuck Valve don’t screw everyone again like you did by removing 7 for Steam.
From a quick search, 1.86% of users were affected by that. For comparison, as of the most recent Steam survey 10 is 51.02% and 11 is 41.15%.

I don't think 10 users have too much to worry about just yet. My quick search also told me at least part of the reason was Chrome dropping 7 support, which Steam uses for various things.

RCU005

What I hate about Windows since 8, is that they are not consistent with the design. They still have many elements from Windows 7 era.
Settings sucks. You have the settings app, but then also still control panel. With Windows 11 the Menu bar is now the ad bar.

Windows OS need to be simplified a lot. If you want to change a setting, all settings should be in the same place.
Same design everywhere.
Better design overall

Zathalus

My only issue with Windows 11 is UI related, some baffling decisions made there. Otherwise the OS is competent.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Did my build and installed Windows 11 off the bat- no issues at all. I click games and they work 🤷‍♂️
That's how it works in practice for basically everyone. But adding a layer of feelings on top to try to negate the facts seems somehow important for some.

//ex Mac fanboy and long time Linux power user at work.

bitbydeath

No because Apple doesn't use Direct3D or even OpenGL/Vulkan, they use their own Metal API and games not only need to run in x86 emulation they also need to translate Direct3D or OpenGL/Vulkan calls to Metal

The largest barrier isn't even the x86 emulation, that was solved long ago by Rosetta 2 and customizations Apple made to the Apple Silicon hardware. The largest barrier is translating to Metal, if you think this is easy then you have no idea how much of a pain in the ass it has been to make Steam Deck's Proton translation layer that translates Direct3D calls to OpenGL/Vulkan in Linux, even today there are many games Steam Deck simply doesn't work with and there is still a significant performance penalty for the translation
Mac supports Vulkan. OpenGL was retired, even on Linux and Direct3D is a MS thing.

Edit: Here’s a link

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Ironic. I booted up my newish laptop yesterday after not using for a couple of months, first splash screen was it pushing the Windows 11 'update' :messenger_unamused:

I only bought it in January, new.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Everybody will love 11 then complain how shit 12 is and why they are not updating.

REEEEEE CHANGES
REEEEEEE

Last edited:

IAmRei

Im quite hating 10, but at least it is not alienate me much. Quite awful, but still manageable and still worked.

Few week ago, I bought new laptop for Wife, she complain as well since it is alienate Her.

If not because I need 11 later on for work, i wont upgrade at all, screw you microshit.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Everybody will love 11 then complain how shit 12 is and why they are not updating.

REEEEEE CHANGES
REEEEEEE

So true. I still remember being at some PC hardware fair when Windows 98 came out and overhearing people saying they would NEVER upgrade from 95. I admit 98 was a bit shit until SE but still.

winjer

Gold Member

Remember that Macs used to run Intel X86 CPUs. And still, there was no flood with games being ported to Macs.

old-parts

The sheer amount of bloat added to windows 11 along with data tracking, advertising, lecturing and requiring a MS account login makes it hard to like. Yes there are tools to remove those but how long those last is questionable as MS updates the system. Also the whole AI craze is something I do not trust MS or anyone else on.

If they just offered a retail version of windows 11 with all of that stuff stripped out at a price premium that would keep most people happy looking for a classic experience.

Linux is like 80% of the way there to being a viable alternative, but still has gaps that are being filled with a whole lot of behind the scenes stuff going on, Nvidia drivers with RTX hardware are now a lot better.

I'd just go with kubuntu if your starting out (Tuxedo is better), not the ideal distro but it should work, there is a decent SteamOS clone called Bazzite that is community made. But what's really needed is Valve to make SteamOS available to general PC's you have a trusted company and brand behind it.

JCK75

If they are going to do this they need to make 11 actually work on slightly older hardware.. Even more fairly up to date gaming PC had a bitch of a time with bios updates to get it to comply.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
not sure how much we can complain
Michael Caine GIF

hinch7

Windows 11 is just Windows 10 with some minor visual changes and some pretty big security changes.
Pretty much. I stalled on updating for as much as I could. To avoid bugs but W11 is really stable now. Probably more-so than it has ever been in 10.

I don't see much reason not to do it. Unless you're proper stubborn or have a really old PC that physically can't run/install 11.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

So what is the downside of W10 going end of life if you you only use it for browsing? I assume it just means no more updates (which for me is a positive)? As long as chrome carries on supporting it for years to come, I'll stay put.

Top Bottom