• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Support Dropping October 2025 (8.1 and 7 also)

FStubbs

No because Apple doesn't use Direct3D or even OpenGL/Vulkan, they use their own Metal API and games not only need to run in x86 emulation they also need to translate Direct3D or OpenGL/Vulkan calls to Metal

The largest barrier isn't even the x86 emulation, that was solved long ago by Rosetta 2 and customizations Apple made to the Apple Silicon hardware. The largest barrier is translating to Metal, if you think this is easy then you have no idea how much of a pain in the ass it has been to make Steam Deck's Proton translation layer that translates Direct3D calls to OpenGL/Vulkan in Linux, even today there are many games Steam Deck simply doesn't work with and there is still a significant performance penalty for the translation
Isn't Metal more powerful though, like a 4070 running on Metal would be more powerful than a 4080 on Direct3D?

King Dazzar

I would like to, inevitably, but my PC is not supported by Windows 11...
Same, my i7 7700k stops the automated update. And I aint faffing around with doing a forced bypass install. I've also got my W10 configured nicely, with no ads etc. And the thought of not getting any more updates that might threaten that. Unless there's some downside I'm unaware of. I'm actually glad its going end of life.

simpatico

windows 10 is the last windows I will use. I just built a new PC and didn’t even consider installing 11. Truly have no clue why any gamer would. Just compulsive needs for newness? It’s really a mystery. I’ll use hacked windows for the rest of my life or hopefully a Linux gaming OS.

Sybrix

I still get the bullshit update message saying this pc doesnt meet minimum requirements to run windows 11..... lol

Ryzen 9 3900X
RTX 3080
32GB RAM

Stuart360

Man this is the worst part of PC gaming for me, having to install a new OS.
Having to install all my apps again,., favorites on my browsers etc.

What also sucks is that this seems a very small lifespan for Windows 10, Vista style. I was thinking there would probably be 5 ot 6 more years with 10 before having to change OS.

I used windows 11 on my gaming PC and it worked fine. Didn't seem all that different from 10 in most ways. I only used my gaming PC for gaming though so maybe that's why? Then again my work laptop has windows 11 and it also works just fine.

chilichote

Same, my i7 7700k stops the automated update. And I aint faffing around with doing a forced bypass install. I've also got my W10 configured nicely, with no ads etc. And the thought of not getting any more updates that might threaten that. Unless there's some downside I'm unaware of. I'm actually glad its going end of life.
I only updated Win 7 two years ago and apparently that wasn't necessary since both were no longer supported at the same time...

I won't buy a new PC. So basically the only option is to switch to Linux.

King Dazzar

I only updated Win 7 two years ago and apparently that wasn't necessary since both were no longer supported at the same time...

I won't buy a new PC. So basically the only option is to switch to Linux.
Why did you move from 7 in the end? I'm still planning on staying on 10 way past 2025...

Tangent, but for me 7 was my best Windows experience ever. I only changed to 10 because I was still using PC's for gaming at the time.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Man this is the worst part of PC gaming for me, having to install a new OS.
Having to install all my apps again,., favorites on my browsers etc.
In the past I used to reinstall every few weeks.. It was almost as it was necessary to revitalize the Windows OS that way. Windows 11 however is so boring in that respect as I've never gotten the feeling of it getting clogged up. The install feels as snappy and smooth now as it pretty much was its first days in 2021. And it's not because of a lack of drivers and OS extensions either.. I push that bitch to the max.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Atleast it ewill be another 2 or 3 years after support ends before devs start dropping support for Windows 10, like with Windows 7.
It still sucks though how short 10's lifespan has been.

PaintTinJr

I still get the bullshit update message saying this pc doesnt meet minimum requirements to run windows 11..... lol

Ryzen 9 3900X
RTX 3080
32GB RAM
Isn't that just a firmware setting issue at your end, though?

My 12 core 24 thread Intel Xeon workstation laughably isn't supported, despite a Dell, Acer or Asus, etc Celeron joke of a netbook are all compatible despite TPM being hackable too AFAIK, but that is because Microsoft have completely run out of reasons for 90% of the PC market to buy new computers without fake TPM security requirements, so I am going to switch to Linux and eventually buy new workstation hardware to keep my retail version of Windows active with proper win 11 pro support. But Windows is playing a dangerous game if someone like Google released a Desktop version of Android that could Proton Windows.

chilichote

Why did you move from 7 in the end? I'm still planning on staying on 10 way past 2025...

Tangent, but for me 7 was my best Windows experience ever. I only changed to 10 because I was still using PC's for gaming at the time.
If I remember correctly, it was said back then that support was supposed to end at the end of 2023. I really liked 7 too btw!^^

Top Bottom