• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Troubleshooting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailbox

7 is not perfect by any means. Even 8.1 is better than 7 in every possible way.

*Once you know where everything is.

I've known a few people who just get frusterated that they can't find everything they once could.

Since i didn't have 7 and went from vista to 8, its been a smoother transition.
I actually had to go from 8.1 back to 8 (system refresh) once because of some stupid error that made it so i could boot anything.

MY GOD does 8 suck so much compared to 8.1.
Since then I quite happy with 8.1

The day they offer that option or someone finds a way to make it happen is the day I move to windows 10.

I had to do a clean install of windows 7 a few weeks ago and its corrupt already due to some faulty update. Windows 7 was good for a long time but now it consists of layers of patches and updates to the point that its time to move on.

I'd assume they offer an option like that because otherwise you'd first need to install your previous Windows version for every reformat.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I looked through those features and watched the video and there's still no reason to upgrade from Windows 7.

worst thing I've read today.

reads like those xp heretics saying there was no reason to move to 7.

JordanKZ

I've been on the slow ring a little while now. It's a liiiiitle unstable, but I think that by the time it ships W10 should be okay.

It sounds like laptops are having most of the problems right now due to some dodgy drivers crashing the OS. OEM's need to fix that, stat.

glaurung

Used the 10074 ISO.

How do I get in the fast ring? Don't I have to be part of insider for a certain amount of time? (Just signed up)
  1. Open Settings > Update and Recovery.
  2. Press Advanced options.
  3. Find the section Choose how preview builds are installed. Switch this option to Fast.
  4. You're done!
You don't need to be an insider for a long time for this to work. As soon as you toggle this switch and check for updates, build 10130 should be available to you.

Korey

XP was/is also "perfect" for a lot of people and 7 was just Vista with a new task bar.

XP/Vista/7 has the same UI. You didn't have to relearn anything.

Windows 8 was a huge departure in how everything worked. I know of multiple people (who are in the tech industry btw) who downgraded back to 7 because 8 was so confusing.

How does 10's user interface and experience compare to 7?

Faster
More stable
More secure
Better compatibility with future programs

I honestly don't understand why somebody wouldn't upgrade when it's completely free.

These reasons are all extremely vague. The question is whether "more stable" and "better compatibility with future programs" is worth relearning everything about your OS or problems with your current programs.

M3d10n

worst thing I've read today.

reads like those xp heretics saying there was no reason to move to 7.
Seven is probably his first Windows. I was like that when I was younger, had a ghetto PC and newer versions of Windows had higher system requirements instead of lower and required me to reinstall all my programs instead of smoothly upgrading in place like OSX does.

Because it's only free for one year. If you reserve it now you can upgrade whenever you want, even past the free upgrade window.

So the stubborn old timers should still reserve so they can upgrade for free when MS drops 7 support in two years or so.

Good guy Microsoft is freaking me out...

Zoned

Actively hates charity
*Once you know where everything is.

I've known a few people who just get frusterated that they can't find everything they once could.

Since i didn't have 7 and went from vista to 8, its been a smoother transition.
I actually had to go from 8.1 back to 8 (system refresh) once because of some stupid error that made it so i could boot anything.

MY GOD does 8 suck so much compared to 8.1.
Since then I quite happy with 8.1

Completely agree. I was using 7 start button mod, but one day I realized that I should give win 8 menu a chance. I didn't like it all. But then I customized some of the things and it's very informative. I get weather update, mint tracks my bank account info, latest news etc just by pressing the start key. Otherwise I had to use browser, log into different sites and then check everything.

glaurung

Will we be able to just download and do an in-place upgrade install from 7? I no longer have a DVD drive...
That's exactly how the upgrade system is supposed to work.

No physical media, download the upgrade package, run it from your PC, look at progress bars, done.

Windows 8 was a huge departure in how everything worked. I know of multiple people (who are in the tech industry btw) who downgraded back to 7 because 8 was so confusing.

These reasons are all extremely vague. The question is whether "more stable" and "better compatibility with future programs" is worth relearning everything about your OS or problems with your current programs.

You don't need to relearn everything, it is basically the same. Also I listed some of the improvements here. If you know how to not use the Windows 8 start screen, that one is basically the same too.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165985955&postcount=7

Included disc mount options too.

Will we be able to just download and do an in-place upgrade install from 7? I no longer have a DVD drive...

Seems like that is the default option.

MightyKAC

I use Win 10 at home and Win 7 at work and they feel /very similar with the exception of Win 10 booting faster, running programs smoother. (Adobe acrobat and Chrome are FAR less choppy)

All in all Windows 10 feels like it has more Win 7 DNA in it than Win 8 did.

I only just upgraded from Vista to 7 just a month or two back, lol. It was kind of in anticipation of Win10, although I don't think my current PC could handle 10, I wanted to keep my options open so that within a years time hopefully I'll have new hardware I can install it on for free.

I know of multiple people (who are in the tech industry btw) who spent the few days it takes getting used to 8/8.1 and didn't downgrade because 90% of the functionality and options are in the exact same place as before. Honestly, this reason people trot out about how drastically different it is, frankly, is nonsense.

Outside of the start menu to tiles, which at that the core functionality is largely the same, most things remain untouched. Like the settings, you can use the modern app, or, if you don't like that, the good old fashioned control panel is right there.

Kathian

Banned
Awesome. Really looking forward to this.

José Mourinho;165989127 said:
Outside of the start menu to tiles, which at that the core functionality is largely the same, most things remain untouched. Like the settings, you can use the modern app, or, if you don't like that, the good old fashioned control panel is right there.

New features should enhance or replace old features. Windows 8 is a clutter of a UI; the OS is quite smart but using and accessing it just does not work. Windows 10 looks like its taking the good parts of 7 and 8, ditching the rest and using them to enhance one another,

_woLf

So we won't see any benefits from DX12 until games start releasing clients that support it, right?

That could be a really long time. Final fantasy xiv is only just now getting a DX11 client.

So we won't see any benefits from DX12 until games start releasing clients that support it, right?

That could be a really long time. Final fantasy xiv is only just now getting a DX11 client.

Assuming we get a fast uptake of Windows 10 due to the free upgrade, we should see lot more games with DX12. Also, everything till date has shown DX12 is really good so more developers should use it.

M3d10n

Windows 8 was a huge departure in how everything worked. I know of people who downgraded back to 7 because 8 was so confusing.

These reasons are all very vague. The question is whether "more stable" and "better compatibility with future programs" is worth relearning everything about your OS or problems with your current programs.

Well, it seems you already made your mind because your questions about Windows 10 interface and experience could be easily answered by a quick Google or YouTube search, or a visit to the Windows 10 thread.

TL/DR: It's far better and less confusing than 8 and it's full of changes that improve the desktop experience over 7, like virtual desktops, improved window snapping, much faster search, scroll wheel works without need to click things first (secret game changer), the recent folders/files feature actually works, Windows store apps run in windows like normal programs (no more confusing full screen dual OS crap) which means they look and function no different than desktop apps. There's a notification center, so you can get email/twitter/skype/whatever notifications without need to keep those sites/apps open 24/7.

Plus, there's DirectX 12 which will make future games run significantly faster (and due to the free upgrade will likely become widely supported much faster than DX10 and DX11). MS is also going to make it easy for win32 apps to be ported to the store, which means safer apps without bundleware (goodbye Ask toolbar) and 100% clean uninstalls. You'll also be able to sideload store apps (if the dev allows it), so you can get all the safety of the new app model without having to use the store.

glaurung

Well, it seems you already made your mind because your questions about Windows 10 interface and experience could be easily answered by a quick Google or YouTube search, or a visit to the Windows 10 thread.

TL/DR: It's far better and less confusing than 8 and it's full of changes that improve the desktop experience over 7, like virtual desktops, improved window snapping, much faster search, scroll wheel works without need to click things first (secret game changer), the recent folders/files feature actually works, Windows store apps run in windows like normal programs (no more confusing full screen dual OS crap) which means they look and function no different than desktop apps. There's a notification center, so you can get email/twitter/skype/whatever notifications without need to keep those sites/apps open 24/7.

Plus, there's DirectX 12 which will make future games run significantly faster (and due to the free upgrade will likely become widely supported much faster than DX10 and DX11). MS is also going to make it easy for win32 apps to be ported to the store, which means safer apps without bundleware (goodbye Ask toolbar) and 100% clean uninstalls. You'll also be able to sideload store apps (if the dev allows it), so you can get all the safety of the new app model without having to use the store.
That is not how TLDR works, dude.

fantomena

So I have multiple HDDs. One drive with the OS and sutff, one extern with Steam, another with other stuff.

Will just the C-drive/OS-drive be wiped and nothing else?

I kinda don't want to redownload all Steam games and everything on the other HDDS.

M3d10n

Unreal Engine 4 and Unity 5 games are mostly going to ship with DX12 support or get updated for it.

Also, you can reserve now and install when you're no longer afraid.

glaurung

So I have multiple HDDs. One drive with the OS and sutff, one extern with Steam, another with other stuff.

WIll just the C-drive/OS-drive be wiped and nothing else?

I kinda don't want to redownload all Steam games and everything on the other HDDS.
Only your operating system drive is affected. A Windows upgrade won't touch anything else.

Zoned

Actively hates charity

WIll just the C-drive/OS-drive be wiped and nothing else?

No your programs on other drives will remain intact.

M3d10n

Will just the C-drive/OS-drive be wiped and nothing else?

The upgrade won't wipe anything. After it's done all your files and programs will be right where they used to be.

Phinor

Really hope there's some option for installing a fresh version instead of upgrading but still getting it for free.

Aye, same here. My Windows 8.1 install is on its last legs and I don't want to upgrade, clean registry and all that. Same with my other PC and Windows 7, clean install is needed.

Pachimari

If I upgrade to Windows 10, will I have trouble playing older Steam games like Mafia 1 or running software like Plex?

If not, then I'll upgrade from Windows 7 too.

The Cowboy

Neat, now all need is a StartModern is Back and I'll be happy, i really do not like the new full screen UI setup on Windows 10 and much prefer 8.1 - also will have to find a OneDrive alternative on day 1, what MS has done to that on Windows 10 over 8.1 is terrible (8.1 integration is great with smart files).

Pooya

so about time we hear about a Surface Pro 4 event right? usually happens in June...

Surface 3 was first device with cherry trail, pro 4 could be first one with Skylake ULV. There were supposed to be available sometime in Q3

Awesome. Really looking forward to this.

New features should enhance or replace old features. Windows 8 is a clutter of a UI; the OS is quite smart but using and accessing it just does not work. Windows 10 looks like its taking the good parts of 7 and 8, ditching the rest and using them to enhance one another,
I don't disagree with that. However, my point remains. People often criticise 8/8.1 for being different and therefor difficult to use and then just give up on it, when for the most part, what they are used to is exactly where it was before and operates largely the same.

M3d10n

For those worried about compatibility: MS has been remotely scanning people's PCs for a while to find out programs they need to perform compatibly tests on. Windows 10 is also the first Windows that it's being mass tested outside MS dev labs during development. It's likely to be the most compatible Windows version at release.

MCD

For those worried about compatibility: MS has been remotely scanning people's PCs for a while to find out programs they need to perform compatibly tests on. Windows 10 is also the first Windows that it's being mass tested outside MS dev labs during development. It's likely to be the most compatible Windows version at release.

I'm more worried about the release date. way too soon with all the bugs I keep reading about occurring on a daily basis.

arhra

Is it just for desktops, or do tablets and phones update on July 29 as well?

PCs and tablets (at least, tablets that ran the full version of win8/8.1; there's no upgrade path for RT).

The mobile version isn't nearly as far along, judging by the preview builds. Oh, and phones might still be cockblocked by slow carrier upgrade processes for the initial win10 upgrade, even after it rolls out (although at least once you're on win10, supposedly you'll get updates directly from Microsoft).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom