• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows has a file size limit on wallpapers?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I googled 4K metroid dread wallpapers and then found one that was 6397x3598 and in PNG format. When I went to set it as my desktop wallpaper in Windows 11, Windows waited a few seconds and then set my wallpaper to a solid color instead. Confused, I took the file (23mb) and saved it as a JPG instead (3mb) and then it worked instantly. Next I found a 16k image (JPG, 3mb) and set that as my wallpaper and it worked just fine. Does windows have some kind of file size limit for background wallpapers? The JPG files are way smaller than the PNG pictures, but from what I understand PNG is lossless while JPG is lossy. Plus with 8K resolution becoming more common these days, why would the file size limit be so low at like 20-25mb? Surely our gaming rigs with 16 thread cpu's and RTX 3090's can handle it....

YCoCg

It's an ancient thing but Windows doesn't actually support PNG for wallpapers, it makes a copy on the fly to JPG and displays that instead. That's why it's always best for wallpapers to save them as JPG from GIMP/Photoshop, etc, as you can select better quality settings than what Windows does on the fly.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Ah ok.
It's strange that I can open the PNG with paint and then save it as BMP (which makes the file even larger) but then windows has no problem with it. But yeah, looks like windows will set the quality to 85% jpg by default so better to use some 3rd party tool.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
What’s the wallpaper is it any good? Might indulge am sick of Windows Bliss to be fair.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
page thread GIF
200.gif
200.gif

Top Bottom