• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Well, it is a beta

Most of that can't be fixed until we get new APIs, and I'm assuming we won't get a lot of this till we get the new kernel.

Like everything currently with Windows Phone until the old Win CE 6 kernel goes bye bye in favor of the new Win 8 kernel the platform is sort of hamstrung. Though I'm sure given enough time and effort some stuff could be done using some very creative work arounds.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Most of that can't be fixed until we get new APIs, and I'm assuming we won't get a lot of this till we get the new kernel.

Like everything currently with Windows Phone until the old Win CE 6 kernel goes bye bye in favor of the new Win 8 kernel the platform is sort of hamstrung. Though I'm sure given enough time and effort some stuff could be done using some very creative work arounds.

Not true. The team can and will get special API access from MS that allows for notifications and a bunch of the other stuff, which is already available on the tango video calling app. Its still in beta, which is sucky because it's taken so long, but the current kernel allows for much more than this beta implies.

PG2G

I hear Tango isn't quite ideal but is at least usable with the push notifications. We should expect the same from Skype. But yeah, for sure there won't be any backgrounding.

giga

the deal was finally approved in October, they couldn't do anything till then. So its only been 4 months or so.

edit: here is a good article on Skype and Microsoft

http://hal2020.com/2012/01/16/skype-get-real-about-what-to-expect-after-the-microsoft-acquisition/
Isn't that more about integration efforts? Skype could still have started work on a standalone app back in May.

Background voip isn't possible with the current OS, but push notifications definitely are.

Bullza2o

I don't know if owners of the original Focus have been able to install Skype, but I couldn't find it in the Marketplace. I then booted up Zune and it said "already purchased," so I used the Reinstaller app to "reinstall" the Skype app into my Focus (for the first time). All is well now. Nice Skype app.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I've been running W8 on my main home comp since the dev preview hit. Never had a single issue in regards to stability in all of this time.

I've been running W8 on my main home comp since the dev preview hit. Never had a single issue in regards to stability in all of this time.

I was at my son ROTC meeting and the tech guy was running Win8 Dev Preview version and I was surprise at how well it work (and that he was confidence enough to be using it to do a conference) only thing was he forgot that it download an update and it was installing when he boot up the computer. I notice reaction from few people when Metro screen pop up, a guy that doing presentation was like "wow, that's pretty and difference".

I will probably not risk it on my main desktop but will install on my new laptop (which currently crashing a lot anyway so doesn't really matter, if anything it might improve it).

Magni

Never got around to using the DP (despite downloading the iso), think I'll virtualize the CP on my main laptop. Anyone here use VMware for the DP?

WhatsApp for Windows Phone is slowly catching up.

New in version 1.8.0:

- Enhanced location support
- Set group icon with web search
- Video recorder
- Abe to block contacts and manipulate block list
- More accurate “last seen” time
- Other bug fixes

Anyone going to run the W8 beta on their main comp?

I'll try to replace W7 with it. It's a shiny new toy and I want it, despite my negativity towards fs apps and the metro-aero desktop. I hope more post-cp/pre-bp build will leak, but it seems doubtful. Microsoft got the whole process pretty locked down.

maeh2k

Any Windows Phone developers here?

do you have recommendations for great ressources / tutorials to get started with WP development?

Over the next month I will participate in a WP project for university. We are planning to do an app for indoor-mapping. However, all but one person on the team (including me) have never done any WP development.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Did MS really decide to skip MWC on regards to Windows Phone? That Nokia conference was it?

Why bother competing with the noise at MWC when they know they can call a press conference and get all the coverage to themselves? It's the same reason Google and Apple dont do these shows any more.

maeh2k

Did MS really decide to skip MWC on regards to Windows Phone? That Nokia conference was it?

They don't really have anything to show right now. Tango, though it is important, doesn't bring any new features to show off and low-end phones aren't all that exciting.

They probably don't want to show Apollo yet. There's enough time for that. And till Apollo no one's releasing new devices (apart from the two low-end ones).

PG2G

Am I setting myself up for disappointment if I am hoping for a small nugget of Windows Phone 8 information out of the Windows 8 event?

"News":

Official goal.com app is in the marketplace

Samsung's working on phones with Windows Phone 8, water is wet: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...ng-to-launch-windows-phone-8-handsets-1067049

Elop's "more confident than ever" about Windows Phone: http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/28/2830199/the-verge-interview-stephen-elop-nokia-mwc-2012

Am I setting myself up for disappointment if I am hoping for a small nugget of Windows Phone 8 information out of the Windows 8 event?

Maybe.

I'm confident that we'll get some info, official or not.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Elop interview was good. As far as CEO's go I'm a fan of Elop. Glad he is from Canada as well. I'd like to think that is one of the reason the 900 is not that far off from release.

I really hope Nokia announces a W8 tablet later this year. If it has the 800/900 design asthetics like we have seen in those tablet mock-ups that would be amazing.

thundr51

Any Windows Phone developers here?

do you have recommendations for great ressources / tutorials to get started with WP development?

Over the next month I will participate in a WP project for university. We are planning to do an app for indoor-mapping. However, all but one person on the team (including me) have never done any WP development.

Can't post any links (posting from my HD7) but try searching for the off topic forum. I remember there was a nice topic that had some useful links.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Elop interview was good. As far as CEO's go I'm a fan of Elop. Glad he is from Canada as well. I'd like to think that is one of the reason the 900 is not that far off from release.

I really hope Nokia announces a W8 tablet later this year. If it has the 800/900 design asthetics like we have seen in those tablet mock-ups that would be amazing.

Elop is a really smooth talker. He's probably a vampire and hypnotizes everyone around him.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, I've read that. Do you know some more extensive tutorials? This one is rather basic.

Sorry, that's all I got.

Also can you guys check your Bing Maps. Did it just get better. Saw something on the Verge about immediate changes thanks to Nokia.

freshair

Seeing as how T-Mobile is still slacking (as of late) with their WP7 offerings, I went ahead and jumped on a HTC Radar in the interim. I've been using a 3GS for about 2 years now with only edge speeds, so I'm a little bit excited to be using a high-speed phone, lol.

I've debated getting the lumia 800, but with the lack of aws support, I wanted something that I could stream pandora and spotify in the car.

Can't wait to join the family. ^___^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom