• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

clav

Self-Ban was worth it.

Phone's gotten so much better too in the past year! Warms the cockles of my heart to see several necessary apps not be absolute garbage.

Store is still garbage...

unless my sarcasm meter is broken.

T-Mobile still hasn't pushed out W10M update officially for Lumia 640.

I think wi-fi calling is still broken.

Store is still garbage...

unless my sarcasm meter is broken.

T-Mobile still hasn't pushed out W10M update officially for Lumia 640.

I think wi-fi calling is still broken.

Store is definitely still chugging along, unfortunately. Movies/Video now actually downloads license information within 3 minutes now! It used to take me upwards of thirty minutes on a clean install for it to ever allow me to play my collection.

clav

I like how on desktop builds, users don't need to redownload or re-uninstall default apps when a new build releases.

UWP + OneCore still don't look finished though despite initial claims.

ty_hot

So, I recently moved to an Android, and was about to give my old WP to a person with some level of disability... So I factory reset the device, deleted all the bullshit and left on the home screen 6 big tiles for phone, messages, contacts, alarm, photos, camera. The person wouldn't use any wifi, data, GPS settings, so I disable everything (and I was actually surprised that you can even remove all of them from the quick access (?) in the notifications).

Everything great. Great? No. This shit system let you change the system language, but it doesn't change everything. Unbelievable. I changed to Lithuanian and everything was half English half Lithuanian. What a joke. I remember receiving an email stating that they added Lithuanian and other Baltic languages as system language a long time ago. There is no option to download the "rest" of the translations.

So now I can't give the phone to the person because it says "Photos", "Camera", "Delete" and many other words that I don't even know how to spell in Lithuanian. As I said, it's a disabled person so she can't use the phone with this "small" problem... So it's going back to be my kitchen timer at home.

How can MS expect that developers take their system seriously if they can't even offer the languages that they announce that are supported properly? Seriously. I thought I would never complain again about WP after leaving it, but MS had one last shitty half-assed feature hidden to annoy me till the last minute. Which is not the last minute anymore.

So, I recently moved to an Android, and was about to give my old WP to a person with some level of disability... So I factory reset the device, deleted all the bullshit and left on the home screen 6 big tiles for phone, messages, contacts, alarm, photos, camera. The person wouldn't use any wifi, data, GPS settings, so I disable everything (and I was actually surprised that you can even remove all of them from the quick access (?) in the notifications).

Everything great. Great? No. This shit system let you change the system language, but it doesn't change everything. Unbelievable. I changed to Lithuanian and everything was half English half Lithuanian. What a joke. I remember receiving an email stating that they added Lithuanian and other Baltic languages as system language a long time ago. There is no option to download the "rest" of the translations.

So now I can't give the phone to the person because it says "Photos", "Camera", "Delete" and many other words that I don't even know how to spell in Lithuanian. As I said, it's a disabled person so she can't use the phone with this "small" problem... So it's going back to be my kitchen timer at home.

How can MS expect that developers take their system seriously if they can't even offer the languages that they announce that are supported properly? Seriously. I thought I would never complain again about WP after leaving it, but MS had one last shitty half-assed feature hidden to annoy me till the last minute. Which is not the last minute anymore.

This seems like a bug.

NeOak

Weird. Happened with Spanish until I deleted the English keyboard and let it download the full language file.

ty_hot

Weird. Happened with Spanish until I deleted the English keyboard and let it download the full language file.

I deleted the keyboard too, thought that would help... Nothing.

At this point it doesn't even matter for me if it's a bug or just MS not doing their job properly...

It was W10 btw.

NeOak

I don't think MS expects anyone to take W10M seriously.

Also, i guess I'll return the unlocked 950 XL to Amazon. I need VoLTE because the 3G network sucks where I am for work and managed to grab a white 950 refurb from AT&T before they went out of stock.

Called someone that has another AT&T branded 950, made me a believer in VoLTE, holy shit.

clav

Lumia 640 does not get VoLTE for some reason. Every time I call out, it switches back to HSPA.

I wonder if it's a carrier thing.

NeOak

Lumia 640 does not get VoLTE for some reason. Every time I call out, it switches back to HSPA.

I wonder if it's a carrier thing.
The cheap 640 GoPhone? It's because it is a Gophone so it's blocked at the IMEI level.

You need to get their 640 XL or their 950 which are postpaid phones. The 640 XL is $83 bucks atm I think.

Also, my text messages go through with no problem over LTE now too.

What isn't in the right language? I know I just got done setting up mine after a full reset, and the vast majority of the apps stayed in English until I let them update in the Store.

NeOak

Oh. Damn.

Guess I'll just wait until the next Moto G releases or until the XL drops to $30 or below.

To be fair, they used to sell it for $250, so $85 is a decent price.

Doesn't beat the 640 at $30, I know, but if you get shitty 3G/4G service and good LTE, VoLTE is worth it :(

NeOak

I think 640's VoLTE works on T-Mobile.

Might be broken in WM10 though.
Yes, but you need their firmware that has the IMS keys.

What is broken is Wi-Fi calling. They used a 3rd party driver for it, and W10 changed the order drivers are loaded in order to speed boot up times, so when it is loaded, a core API is missing so it stops loading and doesn't work.

MS supposedly asked for the source code in order to fix it and ship it as a W10M update, but /shrug.

clav

So I guess I'll need to debrand this phone, too, to T-Mobile and upgrade from there in the future, if I switch. I read though VoLTE is broken in W10M, too, but hm.

I don't have a need for wi-fi calling, but I know someone else who does, so I'm aware of the wi-fi calling bug.

Posted about that problem + response in the past.

hwalker84

I've had two people recently state they wish they could get new Windows Phones as they miss them sine having to move to Android or iOS.

clav

I wonder due to those rumors on W10 Cloud on x86 that Windows Phone without desktop mode is going to rebrand to Windows Mobile 10 Cloud Edition.

Not that it'll make a huge difference with sales though if there is still no phone this year.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I've had two people recently state they wish they could get new Windows Phones as they miss them sine having to move to Android or iOS.

My wife still says she misses her 1020 versus the S6 Edge we both have. I'd move back to Windows Phone too if there was a good new phone. Android sucks.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I wonder due to those rumors on W10 Cloud on x86 that Windows Phone without desktop mode is going to rebrand to Windows Mobile 10 Cloud Edition.

Not that it'll make a huge difference with sales though if there is still no phone this year.

So just to keep track, if you are right

we went from

Windows Mobile
Windows Phone
Windows 10 Phone

to

Windows Mobile 10 Cloud

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Every time I look at photos I took years ago with my 1020 I'm shocked at their quality. So far ahead of its time.

And why is anyone acting surprised that the platform that didn't release a phone last year tanked in sales?

And didn't Blackberry release phones last year? That's more embarrassing.

How about the 920's lowlight ability that was 2 generations ahead of galaxy/iPhones. Plus, you could run it over with a car and it would still work.

Paganmoon

So just to keep track, if you are right

we went from

Windows Mobile
Windows Phone
Windows 10 Phone

to

Windows Mobile 10 Cloud

Actually, it's Windows 10 Mobile not Phone :)

Every time I look at photos I took years ago with my 1020 I'm shocked at their quality. So far ahead of its time.

And why is anyone acting surprised that the platform that didn't release a phone last year tanked in sales?

And didn't Blackberry release phones last year? That's more embarrassing.

The stats are for market share of the OS, the Blackberry phones released last year were on Android, so they aren't part of the statistics, the last Blackberry OS phone was released in 2015 apparently.

How about the 920's lowlight ability that was 2 generations ahead of galaxy/iPhones. Plus, you could run it over with a car and it would still work.

Yeah Nokia made great phones, another thing Microsoft fucked up really.

Lumia cameras are just heads and shoulders above the competition, IMO.

In other news, my Band 2 decided to slit its own wrist and commit suicide again, so I said fuck it and got a Fitbit Blaze.
Nice watch! Now I play the waiting game for GATT lol. (Not gonna go on fast ring lmao)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

In other news, my Band 2 decided to slit its own wrist and commit suicide again, so I said fuck it and got a Fitbit Blaze.
Nice watch! Now I play the waiting game for GATT lol. (Not gonna go on fast ring lmao)

Did the same, but have a Charge 2.

NeOak

man, i'll miss my Band 2 when it decides to die ;-;

Also, RIP Amazing Weather HD. I remember a lot of hype for that app from WPCentral :/

So,is there any way at all to make sure that my volume music control bit is always available? As it is, if I play music, and then stop playing music for a while, it's like Groove closes and needs to be reopened before the music controls over Bluetooth or the Volume window work again, and Id *really* prefer it if that just wasn't the case, and it stayed available all the time. Any way to fix this?

NeOak

So,is there any way at all to make sure that my volume music control bit is always available? As it is, if I play music, and then stop playing music for a while, it's like Groove closes and needs to be reopened before the music controls over Bluetooth or the Volume window work again, and Id *really* prefer it if that just wasn't the case, and it stayed available all the time. Any way to fix this?
Not that I know of.

Although I do miss ad-free 3rd party YouTube apps on WP, my Honor 8 was just updated to Nougot and it brings true multi tasking split screen to the phone so I can browse as I watch YouTube vids.

With Nova launcher to hide apps, the Honor 8 is performing like a stud. I miss live tiles a little but the notification pull down and status bar work well enough.

I just need to find a great full featured video editing app for Android.

Top Bottom